Kisugi:

I have to add season 2 of Byplayers to my list! It will start the 7th of February. I'm so excited!

What?! There's a second season of Byplayers? Best news since beginning of the year! Thanks a lot for the news , I'm definitely going to watch this one, with or without subs!

SumiTheCat:

What?! There's a second season of Byplayers? Best news since beginning of the year! Thanks a lot for the news , I'm definitely going to watch this one, with or without subs!

Yes! I was so surprised! This time they will be on a desert isalnd: https://mydramalist.com/26876-byplayers-season-2

Kisugi:

Yes! I was so surprised! This time they will be on a desert isalnd: https://mydramalist.com/26876-byplayers-season-2

That sounds promising! Can't wait to see them trying to survive by themselves. I'm anticipating some funny moments, I can already picture myself Endo or Matsushige's amusing faces! 

You guys seemed really excited so  Iwas going to pick up Byplayers. but the subber threw a tantrum and quit after 7 episodes lol. anywhere else for subs?

bannie:

You guys seemed really excited so  Iwas going to pick up Byplayers. but the subber threw a tantrum and quit after 7 episodes lol. anywhere else for subs?

I watched it without subs, and I confess I didn't understand everything. But what I could understand, and the situations by themselves, were enough to make me love that drama. You should give it a try without subs. It seems to me you are watching Japanese dramas for long now, so you'll probably able to understand a few things. 

As for the sub version of the first season, it only started lately, so I don't know if the subber let things down. I thought it was just a break at the end of the year, and that subbing might continue after the break. But I didn't have time to check that sub version for now.

bannie:

As for me, I watch all my dramas without subtitles.

It must be disappointing when a subber leave a project close to the end...

The Byplayers subber dropped the project after streaming sites took his subs, so he won’t continue unless they apologize and take the subs down... which’ll never happen :| So we have to hope someone else will pick up along with S02.

(-。-;

theairtwit:

The Byplayers subber dropped the project after streaming sites took his subs, so he won’t continue unless they apologize and take the subs down... which’ll never happen :| So we have to hope someone else will pick up along with S02.

(-。-;

yeah he threw a tantrum lol

It's really unfortunate that Japan is so strict with copyright and uploaders are so sensitive. I understand it sucks you put in this work and someone steals it but isn't the point of subtitles to get it out to the widest audience possible? Do they have some sort of scheme where they get paid if you download/watch from their website? Advertise in advance your link and make it clear what you want.

I have heard that Japan is trying to open up but we'll see. Like Germany  in the past (and probably still today) they have nightmarish bureaucracy. Any slight imperfection on your form? Go fill out a new one. You can't fix it here in front of me.

One arm of government might say "hey we're opening up and going to try to export our culture and TV" while another arm is going "no we need to protect and look inwards".

Any good romance J dramas lately? Hopefully non-high school

Knavery:

It's really unfortunate that Japan is so strict with copyright and uploaders are so sensitive. I understand it sucks you put in this work and someone steals it but isn't the point of subtitles to get it out to the widest audience possible? Do they have some sort of scheme where they get paid if you download/watch from their website? Advertise in advance your link and make it clear what you want.

I have heard that Japan is trying to open up but we'll see. Like Germany  in the past (and probably still today) they have nightmarish bureaucracy. Any slight imperfection on your form? Go fill out a new one. You can't fix it here in front of me.

One arm of government might say "hey we're opening up and going to try to export our culture and TV" while another arm is going "no we need to protect and look inwards".

yeah totally agree. some subbers are so selfish. everyone part of this community just wants to help each other, if we cant sub we direct people to subs. and the whole point of subbing is to help others who cant understand enjoy the drama too. 

human ego and selfishness. completely not representitive of the japanese culture. 

dont tink japan cares much about exporting its stuff tho. im sure they can make more money if they made an effort but quality of life is already so good why bother. if i had ten million dollars i wouldnt care to work super hard for another 10. id be happy with my 10 in the bank and 3% interest and 300k a year just sitting around.

Knavery:
I understand it sucks you put in this work and someone steals it but isn't the point of subtitles to get it out to the widest audience possible? Do they have some sort of scheme where they get paid if you download/watch from their website?

Actually in the case of Byplayers, the subber was okay with any forms of sharing...this includes streaming as long as they keep the credit intact....but some of them didn't really care to obey this simple rule....

Fan-subtitling is a volunteer work to begin with...therefore I don't think any subber would care about the money...and of course as you said, they do this to share with people who have the same interest in asian dramas....

But streaming sites (illegal one of course) on the other hand are the ones who monetize their website...they earn money by ads, popups and even when you play the video....if you look at the comments on their website, you can see how some naive people still believe that these streaming websites do the subtitle themselves while in fact they're not....look at how many subtitle requests are there especially when the real subber suddenly stopped in the middle of series...

So my point is, don't blame the subber when he/she stop subtitling....and try not to support streaming sites (illegal one of course) whenever you can....well, i do sometimes go to streaming sites too...normally for the old dramas or when i need to download small size video files...but if possible i would just download the raw elsewhere and put on the subtitle file...

bannie:
some subbers are so selfish

Well...they "selfishly" do the sub during their free time for free anyway.....

Btw @bannie since you can read chinese you're lucky....cause you still can just look for the chinese hardsubbed video files if you want to watch so bad...but i'm not sure the availability for each drama though...

thanks man. maybe i will. we will see. lol. i dont have a good list of chinese sub sites. 

i have no idea too but i can't read chinese anyway...haha

TimiZero:
But streaming sites (illegal one of course) on the other hand are the ones who monetize their website...they earn money by ads, popups and even when you play the video....if you look at the comments on their website, you can see how some naive people still believe that these streaming websites do the subtitle themselves while in fact they're not....look at how many subtitle requests are there especially when the real subber suddenly stopped in the middle of series...

yeah, this. there are those who know where the subs comes from but have their own reasons for using illegal streaming sites, and then there is a whole lot of  people who just don't know any better. it's a crummy deal in that way. I'm not subber, but I've had my work plagiarized before and it doesn't feel nice.

I understand that these streaming sites discredit original subbers because they want to keep their audience, but I've never seen it as necessity for them. no matter what, people are going to use streaming sites (low disk space, raws or subs are no longer available, people who don't know how to watch softsubs and don't care to learn, don't want to pay a legal streaming service, etc.). I use illegal streaming sites every so often, but the fact that they knowingly discredit subbers is a deterrent for me (in addition to other stuff that goes on in these places).

that being said, I'm not sure what the Byplayers subber expected. I want to be cautious of my phrasing, because I don't want to give the impression that I think fansubbers should expect this and not feel angry. it is, however, a known fact that this happens, and it's why many keep their subs locked behind LJ or DW comms. if anyone shares their subs publicly, there is great risk, sadly, that they'll be snatched without credit. it's not okay and I completely understand that dejectedness or fury, so I don't hold it against fansubbers who drop projects like with Byplayers. 

I'll just say... I felt there was an attitude and it didn't jive with me. that subber responded rudely to someone else trying to help out in a previous thread, and then with the reaction over sites discrediting and wanting to "piss off enough of [us]" to do something about it... :\ I appreciate the time and effort it took to sub those seven episodes, but I will stay hopeful that someone else will come along.