I liked Pasta and, despite what those who read my review may think, I do like Gong Hyo Jin. She's a versatile and expressive actress. My problem isn't her, it's the character she portrays. In the beginning I was truly rooting for her, and commended her strength of will, even if it meant being humiliated and treated like a kitchen slave. If you have never seen with your own eyes how the haute cuisine kitchens work, you wouldn't believe how accurate and even "bland" this chef's treatment of his cooks is. High level kitchen are in many cases not different from the military, with the youngest or newest arrival treated like dirt.
However, and here started my problems with Yoo Kyung, this character is completely devoid of sense, and this irritated me no end. First she almost dies frozen to salvage the supplies, accepts to be mishandled by the sous-chef and his accolites, wipes the sweat from other's foreheads in the humblest of ways, then, when she finally has the chance to touch the pans and actually cook, she's too stubborn to learn and doesn't want to recognize her mistakes.
She's like a student who bows his head when called stupid and then stomps his feet when he's caught by the teacher not knowing how much is 2+2.
She somehow ruined my pleasure for this drama, which is overall delightful. Her character felt contrieved and not coherent with the plot at all.
This said, everything else I highly enjoyed, even when it frustrated me and I wanted to shout.
Also, I loved her totally crazy outfits, so colourful and bohemian.

P.S. I am a fan of Lee Sun Gyun and his voice too, since Coffee Prince. His character in Pasta is obnoxious and deserves a couple of kicks, but absolutely cohesive and believable. This said, I have to disagree about the chemistry between the leads. Even though there are sparks, their relationship is too uneven to be truly enjoyable, in my opinion. I'm not sure I like the "romantic" message of this drama.
cityhunter83 wrote: i normally wouldnt either, well except my husband, but i grew up in the deep south where it's perfectly normal for people with kids to call each other some form of "mom" and "dad".

i meant it in more of a "who's your daddy?" kinda way :)

I live in the south lol. I was referring to the "Who's your daddy?" way as ick. lol That's my opinion on it.

@amrita I only skimmed the first two sentences. (Fear of being spoiled) lol I shall have to come back to your comment when I'm further in the series. XD
Sleepninja wrote: I live in the south lol. I was referring to the "Who's your daddy?" way as ick. lol That's my opinion on it.

@amrita I only skimmed the first two sentences. (Fear of being spoiled) lol I shall have to come back to your comment when I'm further in the series. XD

Sorry Sleepy... that's my fault, I should have whitened some sentences. You did right in skipping them.
My apologies. :)
amrita828 wrote: Sorry Sleepy... that's my fault, I should have whitened some sentences. You did right in skipping them.
My apologies. :)

lol It's fine, I'm always on the alert in discussion threads. Don't worry about whiting stuff out. XD
Episode 3

That scene at the end when she ripped off his blind fold was great. The expression on his face was perfect. lol
Episode 5 was great!

I loved how all kinds of shenanigans were going on right when the manager was "grading" the staff. When the chef tricked him into admitting to having the bribe money, genius!

And of course, who wouldn't love the last few seconds of the episode? That peck on the cheek seemed so spontaneous, he was so surprised. XD
Sleepninja wrote: Episode 5 was great!

I loved how all kinds of shenanigans were going on right when the manager was "grading" the staff. When the chef tricked him into admitting to having the bribe money, genius!

And of course, who wouldn't love the last few seconds of the episode? That peck on the cheek seemed so spontaneous, he was so surprised. XD

they are so cute right?
Just wait..there's much more cute moment...
They really have great chemistry..it's like they are not acting at all:-)
Oh..I missed both of them..want to watch them again:-(
darkangel662008 wrote: they are so cute right?
Just wait..there's much more cute moment...
They really have great chemistry..it's like they are not acting at all:-)
Oh..I missed both of them..want to watch them again:-(

I agree, they really do have great chemistry. I can't wait to see these other cute moments you hint at! :D

On a side note: I love Gong Hyo Jin, but how do they manage to give her poo hair in every drama? I keep hoping to see her in a drama with gawjuss hair and nice clothes. But each drama I've seen has a whole new brand of poo hair! lol

It's ok, I still love her to pieces. ♥
Sleepninja wrote: I agree, they really do have great chemistry. I can't wait to see these other cute moments you hint at! :D

On a side note: I love Gong Hyo Jin, but how do they manage to give her poo hair in every drama? I keep hoping to see her in a drama with gawjuss hair and nice clothes. But each drama I've seen has a whole new brand of poo hair! lol

It's ok, I still love her to pieces. ♥

I told you...The Law of all is beautiful in Dramaland....she's in exemption list..bwahahaha!!!

While I'm watching this drama..I'm always thinking if his wife don't get jealous..
darkangel662008 wrote: I told you...The Law of all is beautiful in Dramaland....she's in exemption list..bwahahaha!!!

While I'm watching this drama..I'm always thinking if his wife don't get jealous..

I've wondered about that with actors sometimes too. Do their significant others ever get upset watching them with other people on screen? Hopefully they don't and understand that it's nothing but professional.
Sleepninja wrote: I've wondered about that with actors sometimes too. Do their significant others ever get upset watching them with other people on screen? Hopefully they don't and understand that it's nothing but professional.

I remember when Yun Jung Hoon was asked in a interview..If he watched her wife kissing scene in Moon Embracing the Sun...He said that he doesn't know about the kissing scene..because he only watched it because of the cute child actors..when they get old..he stop watching:-) He also said that before he and his wife (Han Ga In) monitored each others drama..but now they don't:-)
darkangel662008 wrote: I remember when Yun Jung Hoon was asked in a interview..If he watched her wife kissing scene in Moon Embracing the Sun...He said that he doesn't know about the kissing scene..because he only watched it because of the cute child actors..when they get old..he stop watching:-) He also said that before he and his wife (Han Ga In) monitored each others drama..but now they don't:-)

lol That's probably for the best.
There were a few times I thought Chef was a bit too harsh and she was a bit too hard headed. The thing is, those flaws made them real people to me. I liked fact that the two leads both had things within themselves to work on and improve about themselves. That was almost the whole point of the drama besides their love story. *PS...Gong Hyo Gin does have poo hair a lot in her dramas and poo clothes! But I actually liked her hair in The Greatest Love.
Jeaniessi wrote: There were a few times I thought Chef was a bit too harsh and she was a bit too hard headed. The thing is, those flaws made them real people to me. I liked fact that the two leads both had things within themselves to work on and improve about themselves. That was almost the whole point of the drama besides their love story.

*PS...Gong Hyo Gin does have poo hair a lot in her dramas and poo clothes! But I actually liked her hair in The Greatest Love.

Agreed! They do seem more realistic than your average kdrama character.

Her hair in TGL wasn't bad really, just at times it was a big mess. There was this one bit of bangs that was shorter than the rest and would poke out and taunt me with it's refusal to behave. >:

Her hair in Pasta would look a lot better if the would fix those friggin' bangs. I'm seeing a pattern, bangs. They eff up her bangs lol
*sigh* This drama is full of great scenes with great dialogue. I'm in love with the writers. That scene with her saying she was a fish on his cutting board. I loved the dialogue in that scene so much!