I don't know if there is already a thread about it , but I've watched a lot of K-Dramas where they blurred the knives and it kept bothering me. And I think they blurr tattoos sometimes as well, but I'm not sure about that.
Does somebody know why they don't show knives ??
I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this too. I've seen some weird things blurred out and wondered the same. WHY?
I think they blur out things that are deemed too violent. I also know for a fact that Dramafever will blur out stuff that wasn't blurred in the original broadcast. The reason for that being liscensing rights for example. Like in Reply 1988, I was confused because the tv sets were always blurred. I thought it was intentionally part of the drama. Then one day I caught an ep somewhere else and the images were on the tv. :p
Ah okay. I thought of that too, but I think it's kind of weird when they blurr out knives but at the same time show other weapons and injuries..
Knives being used as weapon fall under the "violence" category and would skyrocket the rating, making it impossible to air at that time -- if at all. Tattoos are considered highly offensive (you can't enter on jjimjilbangs if they're visible) and lighted cigarettes are a bad influence on young people. All of them fall under "harmful information to youths" and could get things banned or infuriate viewers and generate a lot of suing and apology demands.

Here's the site of KCSC (Korea Communications Standards Commission) and an extract:

eng_txt01.gif
I noticed the blurred tv sets too, but that didn't confuse me as much because I get that licensing rights might have come in to play there.
The funny thing is, kitchen knives are perfectly fine to show unblurred x')
This first bothered me in Cruel City, when he cuts 20 people in a corridor.  It was so violent and then blurring the blade just made it seem ridiculous