LoversBridge:

I miss older dramas from the 2000's. I feel many recent dramas lack  something now and I don't know what it is. I'm not saying all recent dramas are bad. There are some that are truly amazing, but  for me many romances feel boring...

yeah that's part of the reason why I don't feel that motivated to watch newer dramas, k-dramas have been meh for me since 2020 I only liked 4 of them (coincidentally 2 of them were about cheating and other 2 were zombie dramas) they are lacking the old k-drama feels which made me addicted to them. I haven't watched that many 2000s ones but I had the most fun out of 2016-18 k-dramas (and some 2019 ones but I started to feel a bit of decline during that year). Although I am hooked to The Penthouse season 3 (which is almost done airing) but makjang dramas were done better in the past like with East of Eden & Yellow Boots. They have a certain style of music that I don't really hear anymore even with daily makjang dramas. 

LoversBridge:

For me It's a bit of both I think because I started watching dramas like My Girl, Full House. But those that stayed with me the most were A Love To Kill, Tree of Heaven, I'm Sorry I love you...

And Recently I'm watching Crazy For You and I'm enjoying it so much more than some recent dramas I watched at the same time. It took me by surprise.

just finished Tree of Heaven recently (borrowed it from the library) the plot was mediocre but I got hooked to it after the timeskip and I liked the music/emotions that were put into the drama.. 

Emi:
Often the first 5 episodes are good and interesting then it goes downhill because the author discards everything that make it interesting at first.

That is also what I don't like. Many start as good comedy, but then in the middle it changes to hard to watch drama with no funny moments. Why the genre can't be more stable? Some are done right, for example: My love from the star - it is dramatic and funny for the whole time.

The drama you think is so great is probably not as great as you think it is, while the drama you cannot stand is probably much better than you give it credit for.

John Smith:

The drama you think is so great is probably not as great as you think it is, while the drama you cannot stand is probably much better than you give it credit for.

Great point. The thing is, you have to be able to realize that the drama/movie that you love may be absolute trash but unfortunately there are tons of people out there that will die on their hill about a trash drama/ movie being the best thing since sliced bread. The power of these oppas/ noonas over their fans is too real.

John Smith:

I suppose to add on would be that actors and actresses are neither as great or as terrible as you think they are. Of course, my thoughts are the exception to that.

I feel like some popular actors are popular solely on their appearance because they're good looking and when it comes to acting they're just meh or type casted for handsome, chaebol and popular guys of romance dramas. I won't give any names because i don't want to start a fight.

Vargnatt:
I won't give any names because i don't want to start a fight.

I'll name names:

Park Bo Gum 

Lee Min Ho

Ji Chang Wook-in this case I think he has been typed cast cause he always plays the same role; so not saying he's a bad actor but I have yet to see range

Shin Se Kyung

Prove me wrong and give me a drama/ movie where any of these folks deserve the title of actor... I'll wait.

ShotaSidePart:

I'll name names:

Park Bo Gum 

Lee Min Ho

Ji Chang Wook-in this case I think he has been typed cast cause he always plays the same role; so not saying he's a bad actor but I have yet to see range

Shin Se Kyung

Prove me wrong and give me a drama/ movie where any of these folks deserve the title of actor... I'll wait.

Ji Chang Wook is a great actor, although his recent dramas I find not very remarkable (backstreet rookie, melt me softly). I feel like he has gone a bit lazy.

But if you watch his performance in The Empress Ki (especially that series), his acting range is fantastic. He depicts a frightened scaredy-cat emperor under constant threat, to a delusional maniac emperor that makes you feel uncomfortable just watching.

ArniA:
Ji Chang Wook is a great actor, although his recent dramas I find not very remarkable (backstreet rookie, melt me softly). I feel like he has gone a bit lazy.

I thought his character in Backstreet Rookie was a great example of moving out of a comfort zone. It was hard to see him as such a pushover, mild mannered lead at first (considering all his other strong action roles), but then he just became the character.

John Smith:

I thought his character in Backstreet Rookie was a great example of moving out of a comfort zone. It was hard to see him as such a pushover, mild mannered lead at first (considering all his other strong action roles), but then he just became the character.

I found the series boring, honestly. When you've seen Ji Chang Wook in Empress Ki, Healer, and K2... you know he's a good actor. But recent series have not been fun to watch.

He's an actor that needs a script and character with high dynamic range in his emotions. Being in a fluffy romcom doesn't suite him I believe, he needs to display extreme emotions I feel like... he does that well.

ArniA:

I found the series boring, honestly. When you've seen Ji Chang Wook in Empress Ki, Healer, and K2... you know he's a good actor. But recent series have not been fun to watch.

He's an actor that needs a script and character with high dynamic range in his emotions. Being in a fluffy romcom doesn't suite him I believe, he needs to display extreme emotions I feel like... he does that well.

I think Backstreet Rookie could have been written much better and probably either promoted or aired in a slot that allowed for more mature development of the drama as a whole. If he was American, I could see him starring in an action movie series that has several sequels, and be very popular here. He does have a dynamic range and maybe that is why he takes projects that are not action romances recently.

Overall, I think he is an actor that has skills to match his look and does not belong a list that seems to imply otherwise. It may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Shin Se Kyung is not as bad as the poster thinks and she was really good in Run On.

ArniA:
But if you watch his performance in The Empress Ki (especially that series), his acting range is fantastic.

Honestly, this is the only thing he has been in where he gets universal praise and it's been on my ptw for a while but Ill watch it before the year is out.

John Smith:
It may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Shin Se Kyung is not as bad as the poster thinks and she was really good in Run On.

I have seen SEVERAL of her works, movies and dramas, and she is about as interesting as paint drying. I will give actors chances ie for years I couldn't stand Park Min Young but since watching Her Private Life, my opinion of her has done a 180 and the same can be said about Lee Dong Wook in Strangers From Hell. Shin is deadpan in everything she does and has absolutely no chemistry with anyone. At this point I don't want a "really good" from her. I want "She nailed it!" "She knocked it out the park!"

ShotaSidePart:
I have seen SEVERAL of her works, movies and dramas, and she is about as interesting as paint drying. I will give actors chances ie for years I couldn't stand Park Min Young but since watching Her Private Life, my opinion of her has done a 180 and the same can be said about Lee Dong Wook in Strangers From Hell. Shin is deadpan in everything she does and has absolutely no chemistry with anyone. At this point I don't want a "really good" from her. I want "She nailed it!" "She knocked it out the park!"

I am thankful that I find her much more interesting than paint drying. The topic is about unpopular opinions in K-drama, so I knew mentioning that would not find much agreement. I do think think that from reading comments across MDL, I am probably a more generous grader when it comes to just about anything concerning Asian dramas.

I thought Shin Se Kyung was awesome in Run On.  In fact,  SSK as Oh Mi Joo is probably my favorite female K-drama character of all time.   I loved how tough, funny  and smart  she is, but still  true to life, with doubts  and  vulnerabilities.   The scene where she goes to-to-toe with the American, trading F-bombs with him, made me a Shin Se Kyung fan for life!

I love it when there are foreign actors in k-dramas. I don't know why but I always find them hilarious with their cringy robotic voices. Like in Squid Game ep 7 there were so many English speaking scenes which made me confused but the scene with one of them disrobing in front of Wi Ha Joon was unintentionally funny xD

I also found Park Eun Seok as Alex Lee (The Penthouse season 3) funny the way he speaks bluntly, even though his fluent English as Logan Lee makes him sound cooler/more charismatic.