MayaDavid:

I have a question related to the lover's bug.  In Chapter 32, the pain XY felt from XL is described as "heart cut with a sword".  The description sounds like a physical pain rather than something coming from heartbreak. Do you think that this is due to lover's bugs retaliating in XL, causing physical pain? The drama showed the bugs attacking XL when he was looking at XY and Jing at the beach as well.  

[In the TV drama version, the Gu worm that the Foreign Minister Liu had in Dragon Bone Prison at that time was not a backlash at all, but that Xiang Liu wanted to take back the heart he had given away, but the Gu worm was resisting and found that he could not take it back at all, so Xiang Liu felt so uncomfortable! "You have nine lives, but only one heart. Once you give it away, you can never take it back." (Corresponding to this sentence) This is the line in the drama version! The original work does not have this line, nor does it have the scene where Xiang Liu saw Yao Jing being together and caused the Gu insect to react. These two places were added in the drama version. They were all changed by the drama version in order to promote the official matchmaker. In the original work, There is no description of Xiaoyao or Xiang Liu being bitten by Gu insects at all]Okay, after analyzing so much, the conclusion is that the lover's poison has never backfired, Xiaoyao has never changed her heart, and has never fallen in love with Tushan Jing (I am referring to the love between men and women). If Xiaoyao changes her heart and falls in love with Tushan Jing, So both of them had to burp, and Xiaoyao had already burped, so how could she be with Tu Shanjing? It means that she has not changed her mind. Let me reiterate again, Gu only cares about your heart, not your body or brain!

Obviously this lover bug is in love, but you want to take the heart you have given. Does the lover bug agree?

but what is clear is that it is not a change of heart.. If it is, then they must die right then and there.

liddi:
The other interpretation, in line with Tong Hua's propensity for hidden lines, is that Tong Hua was being ironic, and it would mean that just like Xiao Yao and Shi Qi, there is another relationship which was also introduced in Vol 1 (the lovers bug was successfully planted less than halfway through Vol 1), and that relationship underwent various setbacks and difficulties, until at the end of the novel, what is left is a yearning that will never end, because she will never have the chance to see him ever again.

I think it's this interpretation. It doesn't make sense for Xiao Yao to "yearn" for Jing when she's already married to him at the end. lol Xiao Yao reminds me of Rose from Titanic. Rose never forgot about Jack just like Xiao Yao will never forget Xiang Liu ❤️ 

Elise:

I think it's this interpretation. It doesn't make sense for Xiao Yao to "yearn" for Jing when she's already married to him at the end. lol Xiao Yao reminds me of Rose from Titanic. Rose never forgot about Jack just like Xiao Yao will never forget Xiang Liu ❤️

Oh, another thing. No one remembers the guy Rose married. But everyone remembers the guy who died tragically. And who happened to be her greatest love :)

MayaDavid:

I have a question related to the lover's bug.  In Chapter 32, the pain XY felt from XL is described as "heart cut with a sword".  The description sounds like a physical pain rather than something coming from heartbreak. Do you think that this is due to lover's bugs retaliating in XL, causing physical pain? The drama showed the bugs attacking XL when he was looking at XY and Jing at the beach as well.  

I (obviously) don't remember the details of this book back to front, but what was the context of that scene? However, "heart cut out with sword" isn't an uncommon way to describe extreme heartache/heartbreak. It can be metaphorical/simile rather than literal. But, context would probably need to be taken into account.

HeadInTheClouds:

I (obviously) don't remember the details of this book back to front, but what was the context of that scene? However, "heart cut out with short" isn't an uncommon way to describe extreme heartache/heartbreak. It can be metaphorical/simile rather than literal. But, context would probably need to be taken into account.

This scene is almost the same as when Xy felt the pain when XL died. Even though her lover's bug had been removed.

Elise:

I think it's this interpretation. It doesn't make sense for Xiao Yao to "yearn" for Jing when she's already married to him at the end.

Yes. As they are together at the end of the story, "eternally yearning for you" doesn't applies to them at all

nathsketch:

Oh, another thing. No one remembers the guy Rose married. But everyone remembers the guy who died tragically. And who happened to be her greatest love :)

Were we even told/given this man's name in the movie? It has been a long time since I watched Titanic. Unfortunately, Xiao Yao didn't exactly display Rose's gut and gumption. Rose at least got her sweet time with Jack, as short as it was. She at least was true to her heart and won't suffer from regrets as well as yearning. The same can't be said for Xiao Yao.

HeadInTheClouds:
However, "heart cut out with sword" isn't an uncommon way to describe extreme heartache/heartbreak.

windiaaa041293:
This scene is almost the same as when Xy felt the pain when XL died. Even though her lover's bug had been removed.

May be you guys are right. It said 'the pain was so excruciating she fell on the ground in a slump". So, I was wondering if it was a physical pain.  With what was depicted in the drama in the XY/Jing beach scene, I was wondering if letting the person you love go away cause the bugs to attack causing physical pain in addition  to heartbreak. XL is clear about his feelings whereas XY is not.  So, I was thinking that perhaps XY does not have the same situation of bugs attacking since she is in a confused state with respect to her feelings about XL. 

Also, I found it interesting that in chapter 13 the bugs did not attack XL when he was furious with XY at the beach and could have perhaps killed her out of rage. Someone had mentioned Heathcliff and Catherine in context of XL and XY. I don't think that the love between XL and XY is that dark,  but the scene at the beach reminded me of some Wuthering Heights. 

Some time ago..I found an article.but I couldn't find it anymore.it said that in the novel:

After Jing's wedding:

Xiaoyao feels free and unburdened, but because of her childhood experiences......I forgot the next text...

I looked for these words in the koala translation, but couldn't find them.
Are these words in the novel?

windiaaa041293:

Some time ago..I found an article.but I couldn't find it anymore.it said that in the novel:

After Jing's wedding:

Xiaoyao feels free and unburdened, but because of her childhood experiences......I forgot the next text...

I looked for these words in the koala translation, but couldn't find them.
Are these words in the novel?

Whose wedding? Hers to Jing or Jing's 1st wedding?

liddi:

Whose wedding? Hers to Jing or Jing's 1st wedding?

Jing and yiying

MayaDavid:
May be you guys are right. It said 'the pain was so excruciating she fell on the ground in a slump". So, I was wondering if it was a physical pain. With what was depicted in the drama in the XY/Jing beach scene, I was wondering if letting the person you love go away cause the bugs to attack causing physical pain in addition to heartbreak. XL is clear about his feelings whereas XY is not. So, I was thinking that perhaps XY does not have the same situation of bugs attacking since she is in a confused state with respect to her feelings about XL.

I need to re-read this scene to get a clearer understanding of the context to give a more accurate/detailed response. I think it's possible for the Lovers Bugs to attack if they sense the host has "a change of heart" - be it falling out of love with the other person, falling in love with another person or deliberate rejection of the love that they feel for their Bugs' partner. I see the Lovers Bugs as parasites and the romantic love between the hosts as the food that they need to survive. If they sense their food source is threatened, they will attack. As for Xiao Yao - if she'd never acknowledged her feelings for Xiang Liu, she probably wouldn't be consciously rejecting those very emotions.

MayaDavid:
Also, I found it interesting that in chapter 13 the bugs did not attack XL when he was furious with XY at the beach and could have perhaps killed her out of rage. Someone had mentioned Heathcliff and Catherine in context of XL and XY. I don't think that the love between XL and XY is that dark, but the scene at the beach reminded me of some Wuthering Heights.

It was probably me who made that reference to Heathcliff and Catherine, but it was in the context of the kind of people who would choose to use the Lovers Bugs.

I found the post:

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever/110123-xl-and-xy-story-and-romance-warning-spoilers?pid=2828085&page=236#p2828085

The Lovers Bugs didn't attack because the anger is still related to love. There wasn't a change of heart on his part or hers.

Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao's feelings may be as intense as Heathcliff and Catherine (well, more Xiang Liu since Xiao Yao is in denial), but thankfully, Xiang Liu is nowhere near as vindictive, spiteful and vicious as Heathcliff despite a similar crappy childhood. I found the Heathcliff and Catherine relationship more obsessive/possessive than anything else. It's a dysfunctional relationship between two destructive people. Definitely not something to emulate.

@liddi

Thank you, liddi, for your interpretation, mine is the same, but I am conflicted on what to belive out of the 2 possible explanations. 

I do belive that it is possible for some people to think that they are torn between 2 people at the same time, however I don't belive that someone can love 2 people in the same way, at the same time. What makes a big difference to me, aside from the bugs and the way TH chose to describe XY-XL scenes compared to the Jing-XY's ones is the fact that they didn't get to consume their wedding night. I do belive that they will get to that eventually, I mean I personally belive that with XL's death, XY is left beliving that he either never loved her that much, either that his wish for her is to make the best out of life, but up until we turn the last page I belive XL to be her true and only love in the novel. 

@HeadInTheCloud

That scene with the Voodoo King supported that, IMO.  Now maybe you could argue that once the Lovers Bugs were removed, we can no longer claim that with certainty.

Yes..the scene with the Voodoo king.
If the lover bug allowed a person to love two people at the same time, the Voodoo king's reaction should not be scary.

MayaDavid:

I'm pretty sure we talked about this scene before.  Because liddi translated this scene from the alleged leaked script, which added a part where XL also was effected by "heart cutting pain" and had to lean against a tree to remain standing.

Some think it was XL using the bugs to cause XY physical pain, which would align with the added scene, because any physical pain that XY feels, XL will feel also.  Though, I don't think this property of the bugs was ever revealed or discussed before.

Some think it was XL letting XY feel the heart ache he was feeling.  Not sure about this, but it would sort of align with the long discussion about whose sad and devastated spiritual power flooded XY in the assassination attempt to help keep her alive.

I'm still not sure about that scene.  It felt weird to me.

Of course, there was multiple interpretations on it and the Poison Love Bugs attacking XL when he saw Jing and XY on the beach. :)

I felt that the PLBs were attacking XL because they were trying to turn into heartbreak bugs.  IOW, XL was jealous / worried/  But that's when he also realized he could never be jealous, or the bugs would turn into heartbreak bugs.

Others feel that it was XL trying to take his heart back / his love for XY, but I don't agree with that take.

There was another take, but I forget what it was.  sorry.  brain fart.

windiaaa041293:
The original work does not have this line, nor does it have the scene where Xiang Liu saw Yao Jing being together and caused the Gu insect to react. These two places were added in the drama version. They were all changed by the drama version in order to promote the official matchmaker.

I'm not sure how this promotes YaoJing?  Unless you mean it promotes the idea that the Poison Love Bugs will tolerate XY loving two people?

MayaDavid:
May be you guys are right. It said 'the pain was so excruciating she fell on the ground in a slump". So, I was wondering if it was a physical pain. With what was depicted in the drama in the XY/Jing beach scene, I was wondering if letting the person you love go away cause the bugs to attack causing physical pain in addition to heartbreak. XL is clear about his feelings whereas XY is not. So, I was thinking that perhaps XY does not have the same situation of bugs attacking since she is in a confused state with respect to her feelings about XL.

From the scene where XY was vomiting and collapsing from the emotional pain caused by Jing, we know emotional pain can translate to physical symptoms.

XY only feels what XL feels when he lets her, or when he slips up.  It's mostly one way.  I don't think XL ever put XY in a situation where she thought he was cheating on her, which seems to be the main reason for them turning into Heartbreak Bugs.