blabla100:

@H19279

You are not mistaken, it is described exactly as a sex scene, I noticed all the red details since my 1st read, but I guess I was shy to point it out, because people might have thought I am imagining things, lol. 

You're not the only one  "imagining" things. I've spent too many hours reading romance novel to mistake those descriptions for anything but. Besides, you have posters here talking about brown-cover edition of the novel so we're not exactly an innocent bunch ?.

You want more hints and euphemisms that Tong Hua left to show just who the OTP is?

Let's talk about the 37 years in the shell, under the ocean. We know that the shell is the love nest of merfolks- this one Tong Hua made clear. XY even spied on them doing the horizontal tango . So for 37 years, XL held her as they slept together in their "love nest". He drank her blood and gave her his - an exchange of bodily fluid, a mingling of bloodlines. By the end of 37 years she became part demon aka, he had given her his DNA. This is even more intimate than giving her his name. Do you know how else you combine bloodlines and DNA? By having a child together.  The imagery is there to show the intimacy and how they are a couple with a 'child". Please note that I'm not saying that they actually had intercourse or actually have a child.

What did Jing get? A delayed marriage and on the wedding night, when they are supposed to consummate their marriage, and" become one", XY gets drunk as a skunk and passes out. There was no other mention of their intimacy after that. Instead, XY was all broken up over Xiang Liu's death and promptly ran back to the ocean, which is closely tied to Xiang Liu. All roads lead to Xiang Liu for Xiao Yiao. Tong Hua didn't even give Jing a crump.  

Was Tong Hua just totally clueless about how all these details can be perceived or is she the queen troll? I'm going with option 2 ?

@HeadInTheClouds

I am going with option 2 as well. Too bad I don't have some fragments on hand from sound of the desert, so you can see how TH's style on describing sex scenes is. She has a thing for neck biting, that's for sure. What I am trying to say is that obviously she is not an author that shy away when it comes to sexual intercourse. Not hardcore, but still, it's there. The 37 years underwater IMO has more going on than what meets the eye, windiaaa did post a few theories on this subject, but I don't belive there are many people who share her conclusion, so this subject wasn't really discussed. As you and others have said, I too belive TH is being sneaky and she does use some methaphors and analogies to describe some things, but ofc that's not something that can actually be proven and it's just my personal feeling, especially if I take into consideration her writing style and compare LYF to her past works. 

"What did Jing get? A delayed marriage and on the wedding night, when they are supposed to consummate their marriage, and" become one", XY gets drunk as a skunk and passes out. There was no other mention of their intimacy after that. Instead, XY was all broken up over Xiang Liu's death and promptly ran back to the ocean, which is closely tied to Xiang Liu"

Exactly, with and without the Lover's Bugs TH till the last word from the last page gave nothing to Jing, not even his wedding night, I mean let's be serious, just this fact alone speaks volumes. 

H19279:
The more I read, the more I find it written similar to a sex scene (of course there is no intercourse here) but the moves, the used verbs, the image of tide raising up and down, sleeping afterward. All are very commonly used to describe a sex scene in literature. Was XY still in her red wedding robe? FFB/XL had robbed her from the wedding (in wedding costume), and here it is like they "consummated" their "marriage" (the wedding night supposed to be between XY and Jing). HAHA. Sorry for Jing!

I really need to put on my big girl pants and start reading this novel. It's unavoidable at this point.

HeadInTheClouds:
In the spirit of friendly discussion, I will say that while I wouldn't bet my precious boba tea on XY's love for Jing being strictly platonic, I will bet 3 boba teas that her feeling for Xiang Liu is deeper, more intense and if he has been willing and able, Jing wouldn't even have gotten his foot through the door.

What she said. ?

HeadInTheClouds:
Who else is with me on this one???

'Cause nothing's going right and everything's a mess LOL

HeadInTheClouds:
He drank her blood and gave her his - an exchange of bodily fluid, a mingling of bloodlines. By the and of 37 years she became part demon aka, he had given her his DNA.

Taking this part about becoming half demon. I have a question about what did XY think if she died again, he saved her again and she would become more like him. What did she mean? Become what? Which aspect of his? She could breath, swim under water like fish. What else could she change? Some more head? 

Chapter 26

"Xiang Liu ignored Xiao Yao and swam forward but she held onto his sleeve and stayed right beside him “My body is different than other gods but I don’t see this as a price to pay for living, I think of it as getting a great gift! I’m so happy about it!”

Xiang Liu continued to ignore Xiao Yao but didn’t shake her hand off.

Xiao Yao continued to natter “You’re a Nine-headed demon, you have nine-lives and you spent one on saving me. I can swim in the ocean freely like you now. If I die again and you give another of your lives to save me, will I become even more like you…….”

Xiang Liu stared at Xiao Yao and his face was as placid as the water.

Xiao Yao’s voice got smaller and smaller Become, become…..I mean…..” She suddenly started to chuckle like a fool “I, forget I said anything!”

Xiang Liu grabbed Xiao Yao’s neck and moved his face right in front of her face and said each word carefully “If you dare die again, I will cut you into nine pieces, perfect for each of my heads to eat a piece!”

Xiao Yao shook her head hard “Can’t you be more gentle? It’s hard for you to save me, if you choke me to death, how could you bear it?” After she said that XIao Yao suddenly realized what she just said and jerked her head up and stared into Xiang Liu’s eyes for a long moment. She suddenly laughed “I mean how can you bear wasting more of your essential soul blood.”"

Xiao Yao opened her eyes and saw Xiang Liu leaning against the clam shell next to her, one leg straight and the other curved with his arm resting on it as he lowered his head to stare at her, a smile curving on his lips. Xiao Yao smiled and stretched and sweetly said “I had a happy dream.”

Xiang Liu answered “I know.”

Xiao Yao suddenly realized they were in a clam shell and wanted to immediately check it out but was afraid her intentions would be too obvious so forced herself to be patient. She continued laying for a bit before slowly getting up and acting all nonchalant as she looked around. It was the same clam shell, all white in color with wave ripple ridges. It was beautiful.

The clam shell was enormous and even with the two of them inside it wasn’t a tight squeeze at all. She slept here for thirty-seven years with Xiang Liu, would that be equivalent of sleeping in the same bed and sharing the same pillow? Those two merpeople saw the clam shell as their home, how did Xiang Liu view this clam shell?

Xiao Yao suddenly felt all sorts of thoughts and feelings rush up and her face burned as her heart sped up.

Xiao Yao chastised herself and tried desperately to control her feelings and reactions, but she couldn’t control her heartbeat. Just like that, Xiang Liu sensed it and looked over at her. Xiao Yao quickly said “I’m hungry! So hungry I’m all nerves!”

Xiao Yao’s face was so red it was like a burning sunset and she forced her eyes wide open to stare at Xiang Liu. His heartbeat quickened a few times and Xiao Yao sensed it. But then it was gone just like that and she wondered if it was her mistaken sensation.

Xiang Liu casually said “Let’s go!”

In my view, the green text hint that She knew XL had feeling for/love her. There is a part that she mentioned they shared 37 years under the sea, his holding, companion etc. But she wanted to let those memories be buried under the sea (I don't remember exactly which chapter is). I think deep down she knew he loved her too (during that 37 years). But because of political views, and later XL's action to push her away, she remained some doubt or kind of refusal for their feeling towards each other to make it easier for her choice. 

@HeadInthecloud
apakah ada kesamaannya?

@Headincloud

xiaoyao wants to be a nine headed demon.LOL

@headinthecloud

at a glance, you can see from the family analysis of Qingsui City, look at Tianer and Cuanzi, look at Mazi and Chuntao.

Teacher Tong Hua imitated the writing technique of Dream of Red Mansions. The grass snake and the gray thread are thousands of miles away.(By the way, I've never read the book.)

The "strongly suggested ending" loops back to the beginning of the Qingshui Town plot.

look at what ah nian says :

A- Nian: (Following xuan’s gaze and looking at the market) My sister may be the lady selling flowers(cx), or the owner (male) of the cloth shop who is dozing off(tsj), or the woman who buys sweet syrup for the child(XL ?? LoL)... … (As the camera sweeps over, everyone is living an ordinary, serious and energetic life) Just looking at them, you know that no matter where your sister is now, she must be living a good life.

windiaaa041293:

@HeadInthecloud
apakah ada kesamaannya?

Arghhh I need to hurry up with my studies. This novel deserves to be read in its original version. No translations. Yeah, I'm crazy like that lol

@H19279

That fragment you posted I honestly never figured it out, unless something was lost with the translation. If I have to make up something on the spot, I'd take the previous phrase into consideration, "My body is different than other gods but I don’t see this as a price to pay for living, I think of it as getting a great gift! I’m so happy about it!”,  as a way for XY to let XL know that she doesn't regret anything that happened during their 37 years togheter, even more so she is happy and grateful for it. I personally belive that they both know that the other knows about their time togheter and I'd go as far as saying that XY doesn't say it out loud just because XL decided not to. About the "will I become even more like you", i don't know, perhaps she is implying that she would still do it again? Maybe willing to go even further? I am not sure, just a guess, I am not set on any theory, I am libra so I do tend to change my view on some details, but the full picture it's already well set în my mind. 

@headinthecloud.

Description of the doll given by XL.
wearing a belly band shaped like a pomegranate, why does it have to be a pomegranate?

windiaaa041293:

@headinthecloud.

Description of the doll given by XL.
wearing a belly band shaped like a pomegranate, why does it have to be a pomegranate?

it is said that it was added by sir Bi. in Chinese that pomegranate is pronounced similar to It’s Liu (it is xiangliu)

With just one leap, you can jump into the sea and swim happily. But Xiaotian just didn't want to. He clenched his fists tightly and competed with himself. "
The singing of the sharks came from the end of the sea. Xiaotian's heart moved. He stood on the bow of the boat and looked far away. Under the silver moonlight, he saw someone with white clothes and white hair coming on the sparkling waves.

He didn't speak, and Xiaotian didn't speak either. The two of them were on the same boat and the other off the boat, listening to the singing of the sharks together. The singing is like the sound of nature, floating on the vast sea, ethereal and pure, touching the soul, like an affectionate call in the dark, like the sigh when ecstasy corrodes the bones, making the soul sink with the singing.

Xiaotian, how do you know what the sigh of ecstasy is like?

The singing stopped, and Xiaotian said softly: "It sounds so good!"

Xiang Liu said lightly "Huh".

The shark's singing was the sound of nature, but not many people in the world could hear it. At this moment, Xiaotian felt that her and Xiang Liu's hearts were infinitely close, and it seemed that there was nothing they could say. Xiaotian said: "My father is Chichen."

Aheng held his hand tightly: "Actually, Shaohao and I are not what the outside rumors say. The love between me and him is just for my father and King Gaoxin to see. He has promised me that one day he will allow me Choose to leave......"

"Shh!" Chichen felt upset when he heard Shaohao's name. He felt like a male animal wanting to fight to the death to defend its exclusive right to mate. He put his finger on Aheng's lips and signaled her to stop talking. , "These three days belong only to you and me, don't mention anything else. I will wait for you under the peach blossom tree during next year's Peach Blossom Festival. If you come, we will discuss how to do it in the future."

Ah Heng smiled and nodded.

Chichen kissed her, and the peach blossom rain began to fall again.

At dawn, when Aheng woke up, Chichen was no longer beside her. Thinking of what happened last night, she suddenly pulled up the quilt and covered her head, but she couldn't help but laugh secretly. It turns out that this is, it turns out to be ecstasy and bone- crushing happiness.

In the middle of a moment of shame and joy, she heard bursts of laughter coming from outside the bamboo building. She hurriedly put on her clothes and ignored the burning sun."

Tanli and Chichen were playing.

"My father is Chichen."

Am I the only one who's laughting every time she's seeing this translation? 

@blabla100

What did Jing get? A delayed marriage and on the wedding night, when they are supposed to consummate their marriage, and" become one", XY gets drunk as a skunk and passes out. There was no other mention of their intimacy after that. Instead, XY was all broken up over Xiang Liu's death and promptly ran back to the ocean, which is closely tied to Xiang Liu"

Actually, there is. Jing kissed the back of her neck.

Haha, Jing wanted to replace XL’s iconic kiss too