solarlunareclipse:
Excellent analysis, liddi. The findings also make my heart ache for Xiao Yao.

Thank you. 

solarlunareclipse:
I agree she probably first realized that XL might have loved her here. But, I don't know if she could be sure. Even if she didn't doubt at this point that XL loved her, his later actions to distance himself from her would make her would have made doubt creep back in her mind. This is why after she spoke with the Voodoo King and found out the exact nature of the bugs, she desperately wanted him to confess that he loved her. 

Even though it gave her a sliver of hope, I don't believe she was ever sure in the early days when she first learnt the name of the bug from Shé Mei Er, because every single overture she made to Xiang Liu always met with a closed door. Which is why I ached so much for her, the amount of courage it must have taken her to bare her soul and appeal to him to take her hand, without any certainty at all that he loved her, allowing herself to be vulnerable, she who fiercely guarded her heart and kept it encased within a hard shell for fear of being hurt.

She only knew for certain when she learnt the true nature of the Lovers Bug from the Shaman King, but she was aware by then that Xiang Liu would still push her away. Her staying one night by the ocean was a testament to the yearning she could not fight, for him and the ocean that was their home. And their hearts were one in the intimate moments they shared after, listening to the song of the merpeople, a song they heard before, except this time it was different, because this time, she knew he loved her too.

The merpeople’s song reached her from the ends of the ocean. Xiao Yao's heart stirred, and she stood at the bow of the ship, gazing out into the distance. Under the silver moonlight, she saw a person with white robes and white hair treading the shimmering waves towards her.

He said nothing and Xiao Yao did not speak as well. Both of them, one on the ship, the other beside it, listened to the song of the merpeople together. The song was like heavenly music, dispersing across the vast ocean, ethereal and pure, stirring the soul, like a call of profound love in the dark, like a sigh of ecstasy that melted the bones, overwhelming the soul with the song.

When the song ended, Xiao Yao said softly, “So beautiful!”

Xiang Liu quietly concurred.

The merpeople’s song was like celestial music but very few people in the world could hear it. In that moment, Xiao Yao felt that her heart was infinitely close to Xiang Liu’s, as if there was nothing they could not share with each other. 

-- Vol 3 Ch4  (Chapter 37)

Another point that was paramount on her mind was their linked lives. Knowing now that their lives too were intertwined, she was afraid for him - as the daughter of Chi Chen, with inferior spiritual powers, she was the weak link, and she needed to know whether his safety would be compromised in any way if she was killed. Hence her wish to remove the bug - because she did not want to endanger him even more, she who had repeatedly feared for his safety each time she saw him. As such, his deliberate insouciance, pointing out that she should be concerned instead about whether she stood a chance of surviving if anything happened to him, had her hopping up and down in frustration.

“The Shaman King said the Lovers' Bug means ‘the jian birds in the sky will not fly alone, the mandarin ducks in the water will die together.’ If I die, will you be able to live?”

“Why don’t you ask the question in reverse – if I die, then will you be able to live?”

In a calm, reasonable tone, Xiao Yao said, “I don’t know who dies and who lives, which is why I’m asking you. Please tell me!

Xiang Liu’s smile was sly as he said in apparent helplessness, “How could I possibly know? At least you have studied poisonous magic before. I am playing with poisonous bugs for the first time. But there is no rush. When one of us dies, won’t we know the answer by then?”

Xiao Yao was so frustrated to the point of almost hopping up and down in anger. “You could remove the bug from Cang Xuan, so you must know how to remove it. Don’t you wish to remove the poisonous bug?

Xiang Liu grinned, “I don’t want to!”

Xiao Yao asked helplessly, “What exactly do you want then?”

Xiang Liu’s body gradually sank into the ocean. “Apart from waiting for an opportune time to maximise its returns, what else do you think I can do?”

“Hey! Don’t go!”

Xiao Yao flipped over the railing ready to dive into the water and chase after Xiang Liu but a pair of hands grabbed her and forcefully pulled her back.

-- Vol 3 Ch4  (Chapter 37)

However, her instinctive reaction to dive into the water after him, could only have been driven by panic and a yearning she could not contain, knowing that despite loving her, he was leaving her again, which she masked with yet another cock-and-bull tale to Jing after that.

liddi:
Another point that was paramount on her mind was their linked lives. Knowing now that their lives too were intertwined, she was afraid for him - as the daughter of Chi Chen, with inferior spiritual powers, she was the weak link, and she needed to know whether his safety would be compromised in any way if she was killed. Hence her wish to remove the bug - because she did not want to endanger him even more, she who had repeatedly feared for his safety each time she saw him. As such, his deliberate insouciance, pointing out that she should be concerned instead about whether she stood a chance of surviving if anything happened to him, had her hopping up and down in frustration.

Reading XY and XL's conversation on the sea after returning from Baili, I have never considered it was about the life connection between them or XY was afraid that she was the weak link and she might endangered his life. 

In my view, XY wanted XY to confess his feeling to her but she did not have the courage to ask him directly. She still avoided to call the bug - the bond between them as the lovers' bug. She used the characteristics of the bug to clarify if he knew that the bug with special requirements (love and willingness). None of them were willing to admit their love first. The underlying message between is

XY: Such bug between us implies that you love me, don't you?

XL: Why don't you ask yourself if you love me?

XY: I don't know who loves whom. So tell me.

XL: you have studied the bug, you should know/understand the bug while this is the first time playing with poison bug.

XY: got frustrated, why do you keep the bug if you don't love me

So something like above is what I always read out from that conversation. 

She knew she loved him and vice versa. She loved the ocean which she regarded as her home but she resisted to jump inside before hearing the mermaid's song. She also fully awared that there was not future for them. I don't think that was coincidence to meet him there. The setting for that meeting was well arranged: it was a fullmoon when they could encounter the mermaid, on East sea - XL's home and which was near Qing Shui. She could call him via the bug connection. That event is somehow similar to the 4th question in drinking scence in QS town. They had chosen their own path but it was like a selfish question from XY to know that he loved her too. In both scence, they did not give eachother the definite answer. But XY's resistance to answer his question in chapter 32 or her feeling of indefinitely close to his heart and his refusal to remove the bug was the unspoken answer, wasn't it?

HeadInTheClouds:
So you recall the scene after Jing's grandmother's servant (sorry, I can't remember her name) told her about the name of the bugs. Her reaction of look towards Qingshui town. Her conversation with CX afterwards as well when she lamented about not being able to control life and death. What did you make of that conversation?

Earlier today, I posted a long analysis about Xiao Yao's frame of mind leading up to the creation of the crystal globe here. In my opinion, when she first learnt the name from Shé Mei Er, she began to wonder whether this meant Xiang Liu loved her too. At the time, she had no idea what the full nature of the bugs was. That would have given her the stirrings of hope that perhaps he did love her, but along with that hope was despair, because she could not change her bloodline, and had no control over the death that awaited him due to his loyalty to the Shen Nong resistance army. 

HeadInTheClouds:
What does she hope for? To see him? And then what?

My thinking is that she yearned to see him this time, knowing that he did love her too. Was she hoping he would say something? Perhaps. However, the intimacy they shared as they listened to the love song of the merpeople made words unnecessary, because in that moment, their hearts were one. Knowing that their lives were linked, she was afraid that his life would be in greater danger because of her and her inferior spiritual powers, and her identity as the hated Chi Chen's daughter. Hence her repeatedly asking him about removing the poisonous bug, which he swept aside much to her frustration. 

In the years that followed, the failure and her lack of urgency to remove the bug was probably because it was the one link she had with him, a tangible testament of their love that she kept inside her heart. Could it be too, that with Xiang Liu having nine (actually eight by then) lives, she might have reasoned that even if she died, it would only affect one of his lives, similar to when he confirmed that he only felt 1/10th of any pain she experienced, so he would still be safe.

HeadInTheClouds:
How long has it been since they've seen each other at this point? And yet, she instinctively recognized him and instinctively chased after him.

They returned to Shen Nong mountain in the fall. The war on Gao Xin started the following summer. She saw Xiang Liu again at the gambling den eight years later, during which time Jing had proposed to her and the Shaman King had tried to find a way to remove the bug to no avail.

And yes, she still instinctively recognised him despite his disguise, even without any mention of her sensing the lovers bug.

HeadInTheClouds:
I feel like she didn't care very much if she died with him.

That was definitely never her concern. Her only worry was whether he would be affected if she died, which was the likelier of the two scenarios.

HeadInTheClouds:
You are putting images in my head liddi :-).

If only the novel or drama had immortalised such images too!

HeadInTheClouds:
This is a fresh and interesting interpretation of this scene. It's certainly a possibility (everything is a possibility with this novel, it seems :-)). XY is still quite heavily avoidance, which is also very in character for her. She could admit to her feelings for him and wanting to be with him, but is she really ready to deal with his death and their eventual separation? It appeared that she might not be. Do you think this is one reason why XL refused? Because he was afraid that she couldn't bear the ending and would follow him in death the way that CX's mother followed CX's father?

It is a possibility. However, I think ultimately, it is because he knew that he could not accompany her for her lifetime, and he did not want her to have to be alone once more. She was willing to face that future as long as she could be with him, but he only wanted what he believe was best for her, ensuring her safety and well-being for the rest of her life, when he himself could no longer watch over her.

H19279:
In my view, XY wanted XY to confess his feeling to her but she did not have the courage to ask him directly. She still avoided to call the bug - the bond between them as the lovers' bug. She used the characteristics of the bug to clarify if he knew that the bug with special requirements (love and willingness). None of them were willing to admit their love first.

That is an interesting view.

It is highly plausible that the conversation held a hidden meaning behind the obvious. You are right that she did not state the actual name of the bug at first, merely alluding to the connected lives.

However, my interpretation of her shock when she realised he did know after all, is that she expected him not to, and it was a bittersweet secret that she kept inside, the secret knowledge that he loved her, while expecting him not to know that she knew. It was just like their 37 years under the ocean - she knew he did not want her to know what they did together, and she went along with it, pretending that she was unaware of it all.

The moment they were both aware that the other person knew what the bug was, was there any need for a confession? I don't think so, and I don't think there was any expectation of doing so. She already knew what his answer would be. When he rejected her so cruelly before, it was obvious now that he already loved her then, but that did not change the outcome, and she was still pushed away. How was that any different now? 

What was significant for her, was that now, she knew that, rather than just causing him pain, she could actually be the one putting the man she loved in real danger. Hence her questions about what would happen if she died, and her request to remove the bug. She did not fear retaliation because her love towards him remained unchanged. So what was now a real risk to him was the possibility of her untimely death.

H19279:
I don't think that was coincidence to meet him there. The setting for that meeting was well arranged: it was a fullmoon when they could encounter the mermaid, on East sea - XL's home and which was near Qing Shui. She could call him via the bug connection.

I do not know if she called him. Perhaps she did. I don't think she would have timed it based on the full moon though. However, I am fairly certain that even if she did not call him, he would have sensed her presence, just as he did when she went to Qingshui Town and Feng Long was killed. 

I do agree that she is clearly aware they have both chosen their paths in life despite loving each other, one that held no future for them together. Knowing that, would she still have put him on the spot, demanding that he confessed his love for her? I am not as certain that she would have done so. But you are right. She already had her answer in that shared intimate moment as they listened to the merpeople's song, and in his refusal to remove the lovers bug. 

About XY and XL discussion on the sea, I think someone pointed out how XY's choice of words changed from " the voodoo king told me that the bugs live and die together, your life and mine are connected" to "the voodoo king said ‘the doves don’t fly alone in the sky, the pair of mandarin ducks in the water die together" after she realised that XL knew all along what kind of bugs they share.  That kinda makes me belive she was still insecure about XL's feelings, especially giving the fact that XL did manage to get the bug out of CX in the past. However, once she found out XL always knew the specifics, "your life and my life" suddenly changed to "the doves and the pair of mandarin ducks", which is a lot more personal, so I for one agree with H19279's interpretation.  I read XY's question as 

XY: Is it true that If I die, you will die too? Because if you will, than it means that you do love me according to what the voodoo king said. 

Which is in line with H19279's interpretation. 

Re-reading liddi's interpretation, that take makes sense too, even thought I never thought about it like that. However

"when either you or I die then we’ll know what happens, right?”

Kinda implies XL's refusal to confirm XY's assumption. Like" we will know if what voodoo king said is true when one of us dies, until then I don't want to know / confirm anything. He dodged the question basically. 

IMO XY's emotions were always ready to take over her reasonings, she could think straight when XL was away, but whenever she met him, her reactions were guided by her emotions, not by her mind. That night on the sea she fought with herself not to jump into water, but when XL apperead, she struggled with jing to dive into it and chase XL. I still am more inclined to believe that what kept XY away from XL apart from XL, was her uncertainty about his feelings towards her. 

@H19279 @blabla100

Xiao Yao already told Fangfeng Bei the name of the bug the first time she mentioned about removing the bug. So there is never any secrecy between them in terms of what the name was, and who it was meant to be used by:

“I want to remove the poisonous bug linking us. When she was still alive, the late Tushan Madam kept a shaman from the Bai Li tribe. The shaman said that…….our poisonous bug seems to be the legendary Lover’s Bug. As the name suggests, the poisonous bug is used by lovers…..and you and I are really…..not suitable!” Xiao Yao laughed self-deprecatingly. “You were already very annoyed by the poisonous bug last time, so I was thinking… when you are free, please go with me to Bai Li and ask the Shaman King to remove the bug.”

-- Vol 2 Ch12  (Chapter 29)

This time round, when Xiao Yao first mentioned the bugs to Xiang Liu, she simply mentioned its life-linking characteristics, and pretended that she could not recall its other details - that only lovers are able plant the bug without it retaliating. However, the moment she realised that Xiang Liu knew too, there was no need to pretend anymore and she specifically calls the bug by its actual name once more. 

Xiao Yao laughed. “I just came back from a trip to Bai Li. The Shaman King explained to me all the details of the poisonous bug inside our bodies. I can’t really remember the rest but one thing I do remember clearly is that these pair of bugs live and die together, and our lives are connected. If I am in trouble, don’t think you can escape unscathed either!”

Xiang Liu looked at Xiao Yao smiling without the slightest trace of surprise at all.

As realisation hit her, Xiao Yao asked in shock, “You knew all along what kind of poisonous bug it was from the very beginning, didn't you?”

“So what if I did?”

“The Shaman King said the Lovers Bug means ‘the jian birds in the sky will not fly alone, the mandarin ducks in the water will die together.’ If I die, will you be able to live?”

“Why don’t you ask the question in reverse – if I die, then will you be able to live?”

In a calm, reasonable tone, Xiao Yao said, “I don’t know who dies and who lives, which is why I’m asking you. Please tell me!”

-- Vol 3 Ch 4  (Chapter 37)

So I believe both of you are right too. Amid her very real fears for his safety, there is also an unexpressed unnecessary questionthat she needed to hear for herself, even if they cannot be together. Would he respond and say "No, I will not", the unspoken answer being "Yes, I do love you, which is why if you died, the bug linking us will not allow me to live when the one I love has died". However, he chose to sidestep her question, because he simply would not give her an added reason to grieve over his impending death any more than she already would. Which in turn carried over to how he would brutally break her heart in the days to come.

blabla100:
MO XY's emotions were always ready to take over her reasonings, she could think straight when XL was away, but whenever she met him, her reactions were guided by her emotions, not by her mind. That night on the sea she fought with herself not to jump into water, but when XL apperead, she struggled with jing to dive into it and chase XL.

Very true. Her reactions to him are usually involuntary, just as she kept telling herself and him that she could allow herself to love him in the beginning, and yet could no more stop herself from loving him anyway. 

I used to chuckle at their easy banter in this next scene, but re-reading it this time makes my heart hurt. After their turbulent parting following the wedding, they had only met one more time since, which was at the old Lirong donkey meat seller's place, when he comforted and cheered her up over her devastation of being Chi Chen's daughter, and kissed her forehead before he left, though she thought she had imagined it. This time, they meet as equals - she finally realised that he did love her after all, and they slipped back into the old familiarity of their relationship back during the simpler, happier times in Qingshui Town when she was just simple Wen Xiao Liu and nothing stood between them, but now everything had changed too, and they both know that there is no going back.

Xiao Yao said, “My father is Chi Chen.”

A smile flashed across Xiang Liu's eyes. While "I am Chi Chen's daughter" and "My father is Chi Chen" might seem to share the same meaning, the attitude was completely different. "I am Chi Chen's daughter" was merely stating a fact, perhaps with resignation, or even resentment. On the other hand, "My father is Chi Chen" carried with it acceptance and intimacy. Xiang Liu said, "When I first met you, you were called Wen Xiao Liu. Later your name was Gaoxin Jiu Yao. Now you are called Xiling Jiu Yao. If there is a fourth name in the future, I'm afraid no one else would be able to keep track."

Xiao Yao burst into laughter then immediately clasped her hand over her mouth and glanced behind her. Having ascertained that she did not alert anyone, she responded wittily right back, "It's just three names so far. Even if there was a fourth name in the future, you have nine heads, so if each head remembered just half a name, you can still easily remember them all."

Xiang Liu coldly stared at Xiao Yao.

Without the least bit of fear, Xiao Yao declared, "If you dare lay a hand on me, I will dare yell out!"

Xiang Liu smiled and replied, "Why would I need to do anything? Your father is Chi Chen. There is no lack of people looking to make your life difficult."

Xiao Yao laughed.

-- Vol 3 Ch4  (Chapter 37)

Finally got around to translating the additional epilogue for Once Promised from the 2019 revised edition, which took place in the years when Xiao Yao went missing from Jade Mountain. It is a fascinating tale that moved me to tears as it gives us a glimpse of just how desperately the Gao Xin king and Xuan Yuan king, not to mention Cang Xuan, searched for Xiao Yao during those years, the implication of the rewards offered for her safe return, the suffering of the Shen Nong remnants who were persecuted for crimes real and imagined, and an underlying plot to remove the scourge of their existence, and replace it with someone who would fight to make their lives better. More than ever, I need to find time to read Once Promised properly.

Once Promised: Side Story Part 1

Suddenly, a group of children of the same age arrived, and Bai Zhi* was very excited. She boiled water, fetched towels, and took care of the girls who had just arrived as if she were their elder sister.

After the group of girls had washed up and changed their clothes, Bai Zhi took them to pay their respects and express their gratitude to Luo Jia.

Luo Jia** was in Wan Qing’s room. Wan Qing sat under the small pavilion window, looking up, while Luo Jia stood in front of her, bending down to apply a floral forehead ornament (花钿 huadian).

The handsome young man and the pretty young woman were both charming in their every move, leaving the seven little girls standing stupidly at the door, gawking.

“Done.” Luo Jia smiled and let go of Wan Qing.

Wan Qing looked over to Bai Zhi and the others. Mouth half-opened, Bai Zhi enviously said, “Sister Wan Qing, you’re so beautiful!” The child’s praise was unpolished but sincere, not to mention it was expressed in front of Luo Jia, so Wan Qing was overjoyed.

She looked at the seven little girls standing side by side, all of similar height with similar hairstyles, like a row of porcelain dolls, incredibly adorable. She pointed to the peach blossom ornament between her eyebrows and asked with a smile, “Would you like me to help you apply the floral ornament too?”

“Really?” Bai Zhi nodded eagerly in surprise. Although the other girls were shy, a woman’s love for beauty was innate. They all looked at Wan Qing and Bai Zhi expectantly. Even the stubborn Hua Lian Mao (花脸猫 striped-faced cat) could not resist Wan Qing’s invitation and stared unceasingly at her.

Wan Qing opened the makeup box and carefully took out the floral ornaments. “These floral ornaments are made from the wings of the dragonflies from Shen Nong Mountain. After being dyed, they are made into the shape of peach blossoms. When applied, they look like a peach blossom that naturally grew between the eyebrows.” As she spoke, she applied one to Bai Zhi’s forehead.

Bai Zhi looked at herself in the mirror excitedly and asked Luo Jia, “My Lord, does it look pretty?”

“Pretty.” Luo Jia leaned against the couch, not looking at Bai Zhi, but instead gazing at Wan Qing with a smile. Wan Qing felt a tenderness in his gaze that she had never seen before, and her heart seemed to melt. Wan Qing became even gentler, smiling at the other girls and asking, “Who’s next?”

Several girls glanced at each other, eager yet hesitant. Hua Lian Mao stepped forward, saying with a straight face, “I want it.”

However, Wan Qing did not mind at all, deliberately being gentle and meticulous, showing Luo Jia her best side.

After Hua Lian Mao was done, the other girls became bolder and asked Wan Qing to apply floral ornaments for them too.

When all the children were done, Wan Qing looked at the girls surrounding her, and was in a good mood. “It’s not often that there are so many people, let’s go out and play together.”

Bai Zhi asked, “What shall we play? Sitting on the swing, shuttlecock kicking?”

Luo Jia smiled and said, “With a big beauty leading a group of little beauties, why don’t you play blindman’s bluff in the courtyard. I’ll be the judge.”

A few rounds of Palm up, Palm Down games later, Bai Zhi’s eyes were blindfolded with a piece of black cloth. Luo Jia sat in the corridor, counting the time, “One, two, three, four...”

Wan Qing and the other six children laughed and ran around amidst the flowers like dancing butterflies.

“I’m here, I’m here.”

“Come catch me...”

Jiang Li*** stood on the other side of the corridor, staring at them. No matter how hard she tried, she could not figure out what Luo Jia was up to.

She could not help but look at Luo Jia. The scene of him applying floral ornaments at the window was so tender that even she felt that Luo Jia truly liked Wan Qing. It was not until she saw the entire group of girls with floral ornaments that she realised Luo Jia was just using Wan Qing to accomplish something. He left no hint, and the person being used was still full of joy. Was there any sincerity at all behind this man’s gentleness?

Luo Jia sensed her gaze and looked at her. For the first time, Jiang Li did not show a submissive and humble demeanour but met his gaze directly.

Under the afterglow of the setting sun, the two of them scrutinised each other across the courtyard. There were about twenty birdcages hanging in the corridor, and the birds chirped incessantly. The garden was filled with a riot of colours, a lively vibrant display of various blooms. The crisp laughter of little girls in colourful skirts could be heard from time to time. It was a beautiful scene in late spring, and they were both physically present but their hearts were elsewhere.

Luo Jia leaned back against the pillar, one hand behind his head, one leg resting on the railing, squinting as he smiled at Jiang Li, his eyes deep and penetrating, with the golden shadow of the setting sun dancing on his eyebrows and corners of his eyes, utterly captivating.

Jiang Li could not help but turn her head to avoid his gaze, pretending to play with the birds in the cage, softly murmuring, “In what way is this like a deity? This is clearly the behaviour of a demon.”

In the morning, when Jiang Li and Shen'nong Yi**** entered the drawing room together, Wan Qing was excitedly discussing something with Han Xiang.

Upon seeing Jiang Li, Wan Qing immediately gave her a piercing look, as if saying, “Come and ask me, come and ask me!”. Jiang Li smiled and asked, “What happened?”

Wan Qing immediately said, “The Gao Xin princess is missing. The Gao Xin king has issued a decree to the world to search for the princess. He says that whoever helps find the princess will have one request granted.”

Jiang Li was only listening for fun, but Yi asked hoarsely, “Any request? The Gao Xin king’s promise?”

Wan Qing exclaimed excitedly, “Yes. The whole Great Wilderness is going crazy right now. Oh that’s right, that’s right. The Royal Mother of Jade Mountain has also promised that if a human finds the princess, she will grant them a lifespan of hundred years. For a demon or deity, she will permit one woman to practise cultivation on Jade Mountain for a hundred years.”

Han Xiang said, “The Royal Mother’s promise is one thing, but the Gao Xin king’s promise is an emperor’s promise. If someone finds the princess and asks him to lend his army, will he also have to agree? It’s too rash! I wonder what our Xuan Yuan will do.”

Although Jiang Li was intelligent, she was far from court after all, so she did not fully understand the weight of the Gao Xin king’s promise. It was no wonder Yi was so shocked. She could not help but ask, “What is the relationship between the Gao Xin princess and Xuan Yuan? Does the Gao Xin king want Xuan Yuan’s help?”

Wan Qing was drinking silver fish soup and hurriedly swallowed it. “Let me explain. It’s like this. His Majesty the Xuan Yuan king once had a daughter, who was our Xuan Yuan’s only princess. She married the Gao Xin king as his consort. However, many years ago, for some reason, Her Highness had a falling out with the Gao Xin king, and the two separated. The Gao Xin princess is the daughter of our Xuan Yuan princess, the granddaughter of the Xuan Yuan king on his daughter’s side. Later, the great demon Chi Chen rebelled, intending to become king, which caused the people of the world to live in misery. In order to quell the war, the Xuan Yuan princess led the army to fight against Chi Chen. Although Chi Chen was defeated, the Xuan Yuan princess herself also died in battle.” Wan Qing’s voice gradually lowered. “After our princess died in battle, the Gao Xin king continued to leave his daughter in the care of Jade Mountain to learn from the Royal Mother.” Wan Qing snorted disapprovingly. “At first, the deities thought the Gao Xin king sent his daughter to Jade Mountain because he hated our Xuan Yuan princess and by extension her daughter, so they badmouthed him behind his back. Now they should be dumbfounded. They didn’t expect the Gao Xin king to value his daughter so much and issue a decree to search for her.”

Han Xiang laughed. “She’s not your daughter, why are you so indignant?”

“I just can’t stand them bullying a little girl like this.” Wan Qing frowned. “But it’s really strange. How could the Gao Xin princess suddenly disappear from Jade Mountain? Could it be that Royal Mother saw that neither the Xuan Yuan king nor the Gao Xin king took her home and thought that the princess was no longer wanted, so she secretly abused her, accidentally caused her death and claimed that the princess was missing?”

Han Xiang choked on the soup she was drinking, coughing. Luo Jia happened to walk in when he heard her words and did not know whether to laugh or cry. After wiping away the traces of soup from her mouth, Han Xiang tapped Wan Qing with her handkerchief. “Be careful of what you say. The Royal Mother of Jade Mountain is not someone we can gossip about behind her back.”

Wan Qing looked to Luo Jia for help, who gently said, “This time, you have to listen to Han Xiang. If these words get out, even I won’t be able to protect you.”

Wan Qing sat aside, muttering softly, “Not allowed to go out, and now not even allowed to speak. Do you want to suffocate me to death? If I had known, I would have stayed in Xuan Yuan City.”

Han Xiang asked Luo Jia, “Since the Gao Xin princess is His Majesty’s granddaughter, and we happen to be in the Central Plains, shouldn’t we also help find her?”

“The official document from His Majesty has arrived. We are supposed to help.” Luo Jia handed the document to Han Xiang, but Wan Qing’s hand had already reached out, so Luo Jia gave it to her.

After reading, Wan Qing passed it to Jiang Li, saying, “His Majesty says that whoever finds the Gao Xin princess will be rewarded with a mansion and a jade scroll that ensures the well-being of their family for their entire lives.” She wanted to say that this was too little compared to what the Gao Xin king offered, but she did not have the courage to criticise the Xuan Yuan king.

Jiang Li quickly read through it and was about to return it to Wan Qing when she changed her mind and passed it to Yi, who carefully read it before handing it back to Luo Jia.

Luo Jia looked at Yi, who remained silent. Jiang Li knew Yi must be very concerned about this matter but did not want to inquire about it from Luo Jia, so she thought for a moment and asked, “Sister Wan Qing’s reasoning makes some sense. This matter is indeed a bit strange. Legend has it that Jade Mountain is ten thousand fathoms high and strictly guarded, so should be very safe. How could the Gao Xin princess suddenly disappear?”

Yi listened attentively. Luo Jia looked at Jiang Li appreciatively, then glanced at Wan Qing. “What I’m about to say is a secret from Gao Xin.”

“I promise to forget it after hearing it and never say a word,” Wan Qing replied smoothly.

Luo Jia smiled and said, “It is said that the Gao Xin princess insisted on returning to Gao Xin to see her Royal Father, so the Gao Xin king sent two maids to visit her at Jade Mountain bringing a pile of gifts, but refused to let her return, and ordered her to cultivate properly on Jade Mountain. The Gao Xin princess pretended to obey but secretly hid under the maids’ carriage and left Jade Mountain with them. When the Royal Mother found out, she quickly notified the Gao Xin king, but he never saw the Gao Xin princess again.”

“Did someone hijack the carriage? Who would dare?”

“Nothing happened along the way, and the two maids returned safely to Gao Xin. The Gao Xin king was furious and personally interrogated the maids. Only then did the maids confess that they had said some things they shouldn’t have while in the carriage, and the Gao Xin princess, who was hiding underneath, must have heard them. From then on, the Gao Xin princess disappeared. Because the princess’ status was special, the Gao Xin king immediately wrote to His Majesty, asking for his assistance to find the princess. However, despite searching the entire Gao Xin and Xuan Yuan, there was no trace of her. The Gao Xin king had no choice but to suspect that the princess had escaped to the Central Plains, so he issued the decree to the world. Out of guilt and remorse, the Royal Mother also made a heavy promise. While His Majesty’s reward seems unsubstantial, it is not unsubstantial for the former citizens of Shen Nong.” Wan Qing was about to curl her lips, but Luo Jia said to her, “You’re still young and do not understand the importance of a family’s well-being for a lifetime. It may seem ordinary, but it’s the most important thing.”

Wan Qing’s eyes flickered. “Is His Majesty worried that the Gao Xin princess has fallen into the hands of the Shen Nong rebels?”

Luo Jia looked at Yi, who remained silent. Jiang Li could only guess at Yi’s thoughts and continued to ask, “What exactly did those maids say that would make the Gao Xin princess, who was eager to return home to see her father, slip away secretly? Even if she was angry with the Gao Xin king, there was still her maternal grandfather in Xuan Yuan. What could they have said to make a princess prefer to be adrift and endure hardships in the mortal realm rather than return to Gao Xin and Xuan Yuan?” Jiang Li herself had experienced the pain of being displaced, so she deeply understood that without great provocation, a pampered young girl would never be able to endure the hardships of homelessness.

Luo Jia said, “That is impossible to find out. The only people who know are probably the Gao Xin king and the two maids.”

Han Xiang hesitated for a moment, but said nothing. However, Wan Qing quickly spoke up, “Because no one cared that the Gao Xin princess was left on Jade Mountain, there were rumours that she was not the daughter of the Gao Xin king. Although the Gao Xin king did not kill her, he also did not want to see her. Could those two maids have been gossiping in the carriage about the Gao Xin princess being an illegitimate child, and the Gao Xin princess overheard them?”

Luo Jia glanced at Wan Qing and said evenly, “It is said that the Gao Xin king hated those two maids who talked nonsense so much that he refused to even grant them death. Instead, he ordered them to be imprisoned in an earth burial formation, where they would experience the pain of being buried alive and suffocated every day. As long as the princess is not found, there would be no relief for them.”

Wan Qing shuddered and fell silent, while Han Xiang, having been a maid herself, understood their suffering, and had no more desire to speak. Just then, Bai Zhi and two other girls carrying birdcages came over to play with Wan Qing, so Han Xiang and Wan Qing took them and left.

Luo Jia asked Yi, “Is the Gao Xin princess in your people’s hands?”

Yi pondered for a moment before replying, “She probably isn’t. If she were, they would have gone to negotiate with the Gao Xin king long ago.”

Luo Jia breathed a sigh of relief. “That’s good that she isn’t. I hope she’s safe.”

Yi sneered. “You are hoping to find her and ingratiate yourself with the Xuan Yuan King, aren’t you?”

Luo Jia fell silent for a moment before saying, “When we were studying together as children, all of you always bullied me. Once when you all were hitting me, I didn’t dare to fight back. I crouched on the ground, crying with my head buried in my arms. A girl in green happened to see us and she beat you all up. When you ran to the Shen Nong king to complain, His Majesty suppressed the matter and forbade you from mentioning it again. But that girl’s elder brother punished her by making her hold a stone slab over her head all night long.”

Yi furrowed his brows, as if recalling, while Jiang Li looked at Luo Jia with uncertainty, then at Yi. No matter how hard she tried, she could not imagine Luo Jia being bullied to the point of crying.

Luo Jia said, “The girl in green who helped me was the Xuan Yuan princess. You shouldn’t have forgotten her. After all, when you were a child, everyone treated you with respect and gave way to you. No one dared to beat you up like that.”

Yi stared at Luo Jia with a complicated expression and softened his tone. “So it is her daughter. She must be formidable as well and not easily bullied.”

Luo Jia sighed. “But she’s still young after all and has been on Jade Mountain all this while. How could she understand the dangers of the mortal realm? However, as long as she did not fall into the hands of your people, it’s fine. Because of this, Xuan Ting***** has temporarily put aside the search for the remnants of Shen Nong. Let’s see what he can do.”

“So many days have passed, and Xuan Ting is still living very well. I’m also waiting to see what you can do.”

With no intention of taking any more notice of Luo Jia, Yi got up to leave the room. Jiang Li followed him out, and after ensuring no one was around, she asked, “Eldest Brother, what does the Gao Xin princess look like?”

Yi said, “How could I have ever seen her? Deity children grow slowly. Judging from her age, she should look like a seven or eight year old human child.”

Yi followed the two guards who were watching him back to his own house.

Jiang Li stood there in a daze.

Luo Jia called out from the doorway, “Jiang Li, I want to hear you play the qin (琴 zither).”

Jiang Li hurried to fetch the qin. As she tuned it, she asked with feigned nonchalance, “Isn’t Xuan Ting very good at finding people? Does he have any news about the Gao Xin princess?”

“Although everyone says that the Gao Xin princess has come to the Central Plains, the Central Plains is so vast, and she’s deliberately hiding. How could it be so easy to find her?”

“Does the Gao Xin princess have any distinctive features? If she does, it would make it much easier to search for her.”

Luo Jia looked out the window and said, “She has a birthmark that easily identifies her, but it’s not mentioned in the documents of the Xuan Yuan king or the Gao Xin king. They probably did not mention it for her safety. Otherwise, if she falls into the hands of their enemies, it would mean certain death. Except, by doing it this way, I do not know how many girls her age would have to die tragically.”

Jiang Li remembered a group of children with peach blossom makeup and could not help but shudder. What exactly did Luo Jia want to do? She really hoped the Gao Xin princess’ birthmark was not a peach blossom between her eyebrows.

-----------------

* 白芷 Bai Zhi would ultimately succeed as Royal Mother following Xiao Yao's interrupted ceremony

** 珞迦 Luo Jia (originally 后土 Hou Tu), one of Shen Nong's four great generals, was the first lead his armies and surrender to the Xuan Yuan king (Yellow Emperor).

*** 江蓠 Jiang Li, Luo Jia's follower. She was also mentioned in the excerpt for the planned LYF prequel 千方相 Thousands of Directions, but not in Once Promised, at least not that I have seen

**** 神农熠 Shen'nong Yi, also known as 小炎灷  Little Yan Zhuan (originally 小祝融  Little Zhu Rong). Feng Long and Xin Yue's father. He would take over as lord of Zhi Yi City after Xuan Ting.

***** 玄庭 Xuan Ting. Yu Jiang's older brother, the lord of Zhi Yi City

This is the conclusion to the side story for Once Promised, published in the 2019 revised edition.

Once Promised: Side Story Part 2

Afternoon was a time which people easily nodded off. Luo Jia half leaned on the couch, listening to Jiang Li playing the qin.

Over the past two days, Luo Jia had not done anything except listen to her play the qin in the courtyard. Jiang Li increasingly felt that something was about to happen, and her unease caused her to make frequent mistakes in her playing. Luo Jia paid no attention, and continued to keep his eyes closed, seemingly half asleep.

Suddenly, Luo Jia’s attendant, Shi Jin, rushed in, stammering, “Prince Cang Xuan and the lord of Zhi Yi City wish to see my Lord.”

Luo Jia opened his eyes and sat up. Just as he was about to get up to greet them, Xuan Ting and a boy with elegant, refined features swiftly walked in. Xuan Ting kept bowing, very deferential, and even the corners of his mouth which had always been downturned, were now turned up.

The boy looked to be about ten years old, but carried himself with great maturity and composure. His face was dusty and bore signs of weariness. Jiang Li guessed he was probably Prince Cang Xuan. Even Xuan Ting was so respectful, which indicated that his status was extraordinary. She discreetly retreated to the corner and knelt down.

Luo Jia was about to bow when Cang Xuan said, “Uncle, don’t bother with formalities. I have something important to ask you.”

Luo Jia gestured to his attendants to leave. “Seeing your travel-worn state, do sit down first, have some water, and catch your breath. You must have traveled to many places these past few days, haven’t you?”

Cang Xuan sat down and said to Luo Jia, “Since Grandfather forbids me from setting foot in the Central Plains, when Uncle came to Ze Province, I privately told you about Xiao Yao’s disappearance and asked you to search for her on my behalf. Do you have any news?”

“I’ve been keeping my eyes open all this while, but there has been no news at all.”

“As long as Uncle finds my sister, feel free to make any requests. No matter how difficult, I will try to persuade Grandfather to agree.”

Luo Jia glanced at Xuan Ting, then said to Cang Xuan, “The Xuan Yuan princess bestowed kindness to me once. If I can find the Gao Xin princess, I will definitely report to His Majesty immediately.”

Cang Xuan stared at him, as if trying to discern the sincerity in his words. After a while, he instructed Xuan Ting, “You go out first.”

Xuan Ting was startled and cried out, “Your Highness!”

Cang Xuan raised his hand. Xuan Ting dared not say anymore, and retreated.

Cang Xuan said, “Uncle, do you still remember my younger cousin?” Without waiting for Luo Jia’s answer, Cang Xuan continued, “That year, my parents had just died, Grandmother was seriously ill. Auntie brought Xiao Yao back to Xuan Yuan and took care of Grandmother with Eldest Auntie (Eldest Uncle's wife). I remember Uncle often came to visit Grandmother and Eldest Auntie, and even gave Xiao Yao a concealment artifact made by earth spirits, making it impossible for me to find her when playing hide-and-seek. Later, Grandmother died, Auntie died in battle, and Eldest Auntie also died unexpectedly...”

Cang Xuan’s thoughts were dragged back to the past, and his breathing gradually became laboured. Luo Jia said in a low voice, “Your Highness, don’t say anymore. I understand what you mean.”

Cang Xuan shook his head, “I won’t keep you in the dark, Uncle. Xuan Ting said that you are in contact with the remnants of Shen Nong and have hidden a girl who looks a lot like Xiao Yao, even arranged several young girls to set up a maze. Xiao Yao is my only surviving relative, and I will not allow her to come to any harm. She is definitely not a pawn that any one of you can use. If what Xuan Ting said is true, then hand my sister over to me immediately. I will do everything I can to repay you. If it is false, then prove it to me immediately. Don’t make me waste time here.” Cang Xuan’s shoulders slumped, revealing the helplessness that someone of his age should have, and he said wearily, “I just want to find Xiao Yao.”

Jiang Li finally understood that Prince Cang Xuan should be the grandson of the Xuan Yuan king, and the cousin of the missing Gao Xin princess. It seemed that the siblings shared a very deep bond.

Luo Jia solemnly said to Cang Xuan, “Your Highness is very frank with me, and I too will tell you what is in my heart. Even discounting the fact that the Xuan Yuan princess showed kindness to me in the past, just because Xiao Yao called our Shen Nong Eldest Princess “Eldest Auntie”, I too would not use Xiao Yao’s safety just to fight with Xuan Ting. Because of your request that day, I deliberately slowed down after leaving Xuan Yuan City, travelled by carriage through every town and village, and did my best to secretly investigate Xiao Yao’s whereabouts, but found nothing.”

He instructed Jiang Li, “Go and summon all those young girls.”

Jiang Li hesitated, but Luo Jia said, “Don’t leave anyone behind. Go quickly. Are you telling me you could bear to harm a girl like Bai Zhi?”

Jiang Li glanced at Cang Xuan’s tired, anxious appearance and was suddenly reassured. Someone who cared so much about his younger cousin must surely not be a bad person. She hurried out and came back with Bai Zhi, Hua Lian Mao, all seven young girls.

Cang Xuan looked at them one by one, and sighed dejectedly at last, “Xuan Ting was too suspicious and greedy for credit. But, Uncle Luo Jia, why did you buy so many young girls?”

Luo Jia said, “I am collecting evidence. Originally, I planned to take them back to Xuan Yuan, but since Your Highness is here, if you have time, I would like them to tell you themselves.”

Cang Xuan was very tired and anxious, but in front of him stood seven girls similar to his younger cousin. Among these seven girls, apart from Bai Zhi whose eyes were clear and calm, the other six were either hostile, wary, timid, or fearful. Not one of them had the eyes that a child their age should have.

Cang Xuan mustered his spirits, smiled and said gently to one of the girls, “What’s your name?”

“I’m called Wu’er.”

“Tell me, what are you afraid of?”

Wu’er remained silent, her toes tense, tightly digging into the ground. Luo Jia said, “Do you still remember your parents? This is your only chance to seek justice for them.”

Tears welled up in Wu’er’s eyes as she looked at Luo Jia. Luo Jia continued, “If you don’t have the courage to speak up, then leave. You’ll spend your life in servitude, as a slave.”

Tears streamed down Wu’er’s face. A moment later, she knelt before Cang Xuan and said, “I am from a respectable family. My father was a grain merchant in the city in Ze Province. Two years ago, I don’t know why soldiers suddenly came, accused Father of being a Shen Nong rebel and arrested Father and my older brothers. Since then, I have not seen my father and brothers again. They said Father confessed to being a rebel, the soldiers took everything from our home, and Mother also passed away. My mother said Father was an honest, upright merchant, who wouldn’t even dare to mix stones into grain. My father is not a rebel...” Wu’er sobbed, and her words became incoherent, repeating over and over again, “My father is not a rebel.”

Cang Xuan then asked Hua Lian Mao, “You look at me with such hatred. Did officials kill your family? What were their crimes?”

Not only was Hua Lian Mao unafraid, there was instead a hint of mockery in her words, “Colluding with rebels, with the intent to revolt.”

Cang Xuan asked, “Is it true?”

Hua Lian Mao lifted her chin and said loudly, “My father is of the demon race, my mother is human. Because they could not assimilate into the demon race, much less the human race, my parents feared that I would be hurt and we had always lived secluded in the deep mountains, with no neighbours within hundreds of miles so who could we collude with? The only crime is that Father should not have saved that hunter who went into the mountain to hunt, which led the lord of the city Zhou Rao to covet my father’s demon core. Afraid to offend the demon race, he couldn’t openly seize it, so he framed my parents with this charge.”

Even though the children nearby were crying, they instinctively hid to the side upon hearing that Hua Lian Mao was the child of a human and demon. Only Bai Zhi looked at Hua Lian Mao with confusion.

Cang Xuan frowned and asked the other children, “What were your families’ crimes?”

“Rebel.”

“Treason.”

The children clamoured to speak at the same time, but what they said were similar.

Cang Xuan asked them to explain in detail. Some children remembered vividly and spoke in detail, while other children did not remember much anymore and could only give a general idea. Yet, regardless of who was speaking, the other children empathised and cried as they listened. Eventually, even Hua Lian Mao’s face was drenched with tears.

After listening to them all, Cang Xuan’s expression became grave. He turned to Luo Jia in confusion and asked, “They all claim to be innocent, yet why did their fathers and brothers confess to the crimes?”

Luo Jia said, “Your Highness, take a trip to death row where the rebels are imprisoned and you will understand.”

Cang Xuan lowered his eyes in thought. On one side was his missing sister, on the other were the weeping young girls before him. Suddenly a strange thought occurred to him. If he helped them, did it mean that there would also be a kind person to help his sister when she faced difficulties? He stood up and said to Luo Jia, “You take care of them all. I will have Xuan Ting take me to Zhi Yi for a visit.”

Luo Jia escorted Cang Xuan all the way to the gate of the courtyard. Jiang Li stared at Luo Jia’s back in a daze. He had just said that these girls were witnesses he had found, and the deeply suspicious Xuan Ting took them for the Gao Xin princess. But it was clearly Luo Jia who intentionally led Xuan Ting to think so.

Luo Jia turned around and instructed Jiang Li, “You take Hua Lian Mao and the others and take good care of them.”

Jiang Li could not help asking, “Is this your open and aboveboard plot? Taking advantage of Prince Cang Xuan’s eagerness to find his sister to lure him here, and let him kill Xuan Ting?”

Luo Jia seemed to be overwhelmed with the exhaustion of many days. Unwilling to say another word, he waved his hand, signaling her to leave. As Jiang Li passed by him, she sensed a barely restrained sadness in his eyes.

Two days later, Cang Xuan and Xuan Ting returned to Ze Province. Unlike the last time, Xuan Ting was in shackles and being held in a prisoner cart.

It was said that on the way from Zhi Yi to Ze Province, many people celebrated with gongs and drums. In Ze Province City, there was also jubilation, singing and dancing.

Luo Jia took Jiang Li to welcome Cang Xuan and accompanied him to deliver Xuan Ting into the prison in Ze Province.

Despite being in prison, Xuan Ting showed no signs of despair or regret. Instead, his face was filled with a fervent determination to face death. He told Cang Xuan bitterly, “Ever since I received the trust of the Xuan Yuan king and became the city lord of Zhi Yi, I have devoted myself fully, not daring to be negligent in the slightest. Everything I have done is worthy of the trust bestowed upon me by His Majesty. Yet, Your Highness is on intimate terms with the Shen Nong remnants, and believes the words of treacherous men. From the day I arrived in Zhi Yi, I was already prepared to be killed by rebel swords. I have never feared death! But to die like this, I refuse to accept it! Even if Your Highness kills me, I still will not accept it! My death is nothing to be regretted. I only hope that Your Highness does not fail to live up to His Majesty’s guidance!”

Cang Xuan stared at Xuan Ting, his brows furrowed in distress. He sighed deeply, and instructed the jailer to lock the door securely before turning to leave. Xuan Ting’s voice continued to reach his ears, “Your Highness, it is not easy for the Xuan Yuan king to conquer the world, and it is even harder to guard it. You must not trust treacherous men. Your father and mother died for Xuan Yuan, they are great heroes who stand tall. You must always remember...”

Cang Xuan remained silent, and his steps quickened.

Jiang Li followed behind Cang Xuan, feeling somewhat at a loss. She had once firmly believed that Xuan Ting deserved to die a thousand times over, but today she suddenly realised that even though Xuan Ting had committed countless wrongs, his loyalty to Xuan Yuan was beyond doubt. Moreover, during his seventy years as the city lord of Zhi Yi, there had never been a rebellion. From a certain perspective, this also protected the common people from war, and safeguarded the Central Plains for the Xuan Yuan king. Yet, in the end, he was to be executed by Xuan Yuan.

Jiang Li was confused. Had she really been bewitched by Luo Jia? Why did she feel sorry for Xuan Ting? But the one who set up this vicious plot was Luo Jia!

When they reached outside the prison and saw the sunlight, both Cang Xuan and Jiang Li breathed a sigh of relief at the same time.

The three of them got into the carriage, then Luo Jia said, “I thought Your Highness would directly order Xuan Ting to be beheaded.”

With a downcast air, Cang Xuan replied, “Xuan Ting’s crime lies in unfair interrogation and unjust conviction of prisoners. For Xuan Ting, he firmly believes that he was right in killing the people, and his actions were loyal and dedicated, all for the good of Xuan Yuan. Now, I also firmly believe that killing him would not be wrong. But if I decide his life or death based on personal feelings, wouldn’t I be the same as him? Will I never make mistakes? Will I never be biased in my trust and whom I listen to? I have already reported to Grandfather, petitioned him to send an envoy to interrogate Xuan Ting and collect material witnesses and solid evidence to convict him.”

Luo Jia was extremely surprised. With Xuan Ting’s sins, Cang Xuan completely could have convicted and killed him based on his own position, which would surely have won the hearts of the people. The excited, enthusiastic people would have attributed all the merits to Cang Xuan, praising and supporting him. Yet Cang Xuan chose a completely different way of handling it: gathering physical evidence, summoning witnesses, conducting public trials, and a reasonable conviction. This whole process would take a lot of time. In the end, the enthusiasm of the people would be exhausted. Even if Xuan Ting was executed, the people would not appreciate any particular person. Cang Xuan’s approach seemed tedious and unnecessary, but in the long run, it maintained the rule of law of a nation, not only warning the officials but also the people that all actions must be fair and just, not influenced by personal likes and dislikes.

Cang Xuan said, “Uncle, you should be very familiar with Zhi Yi and Ze Province, and should know what kind of official can govern Zhi Yi and Ze Province well. Do you have any good candidates in mind? If so, please tell me. I want to recommend an official to Grandfather in my name. I hope that when I come back decades later, I can see the fabled prosperous, wealthy capital of the Central Plains.”

Luo Jia looked out at the Central Plains outside the carriage window and said slowly, “It will definitely happen.”

* THE END *

OMG.  Thank you, liddi!  Going to read it now.

liddi:
Finally got around to translating the additional epilogue for Once Promised from the 2019 revised edition, which took place in the years when Xiao Yao went missing from Jade Mountain. It is a fascinating tale that moved me to tears as it gives us a glimpse of just how desperately the Gao Xin king and Xuan Yuan king, not to mention Cang Xuan, searched for Xiao Yao during those years, the implication of the rewards offered for her safe return, the suffering of the Shen Nong remnants who were persecuted for crimes real and imagined, and an underlying plot to remove the scourge of their existence, and replace it with someone who would fight to make their lives better. More than ever, I need to find time to read Once Promised properly.

This was a lovely revisit to the world of LYF, and a much better insight into CX, as well as what motivated Gong Gong and his men.  I always felt that the situation was something like this, else why would the army continue to exist and gain recruits over the centuries?  Why would some in the Central Plains still support and supply the resistance army?  They aren't useless and pitiful as XY accuses and XL agrees.  I hope that gets shown in season 2, and the invisible Gong Gong appears and reveals WHY he's got such a hold on XL.

It was also good to see how much everyone wanted XY back.

The story of the half demon girl was interesting too, confirming some thoughts I had about demons, as well as foreshadowing how XY might feel.  It also brings up the interesting point of demon cores ... and what happened to XL's?

Thank you again for translating it, liddi!

Kokuto:
This was a lovely revisit to the world of LYF, and a much better insight into CX, as well as what motivated Gong Gong and his men.  I always felt that the situation was something like this, else why would the army continue to exist and gain recruits over the centuries?  Why would some in the Central Plains still support and supply the resistance army?  They aren't useless and pitiful as XY accuses and XL agrees.  I hope that gets shown in season 2, and the invisible Gong Gong appears and reveals WHY he's got such a hold on XL.

You're very welcome! Glad you enjoyed it.

What we learn of Cang Xuan is eye-opening. It is telling when he dealt with Xuan Ting, he was, in all appearances, only a boy of roughly 10 years old, though it had been 70 years since he last saw Xiao Yao. Xiao Yao seemed to still be pretty much a child in behaviour at the time - she was born roughly 6 months after Cang Xuan, though in reality, she was conceived before Cang Xuan but A Heng stopped the child from being born to keep up the illusion that she was Shao Hao's daughter. Certainly, Cang Xuan is far far more mature than her by then - learning to live by his wits, fending for himself as he navigates a political landscape that seeks to take his life at every turn. 

I find it fascinating how Luo Jia took down the man who terrorised his Shen Nong fellow men, and ensured that Shen'nong Yi took over, who would go on to fight for the well-being of the people of the Central Plains:

It was said that Little Yan Zhuan never shied away from his identity as a descendant of Shen Nong, and spared no effort to fight for the interests of the people of the Central Plains. He never concealed his intentions before the Xuan Yuan king, stating that his governance over the Central Plains aimed to bring prosperity and abundance to the region, and allow the people of the Central Plains who have suffered through wars, to lead a good life. For this reason, Little Yan Zhuan suffered a lot of slander and pressure. Gradually, the clans of the Central Plains not only stopped being suspicious of Little Yan Zhuan but also greatly respected him. Yan Zhuan’s death represented the imperial integrity of the royal family's heart for their homeland, so how was Little Yan Zhuan’s survival not an alternate manifestation of the same imperial integrity?

-- Vol 1 Ch11

I know that Luo Jia was the first of the Shen Nong generals to surrender to the Xuan Yuan king. I am not sure what prompted the switch in allegiances. Was it because he could already tell that the Shen Nong kingdom would fall, and he chose to surrender to ensure he would be in a position to help his fellow men when the time came, similar to Shen'nong Yi? Certainly the epilogue indicated that he promised Shen'nong Yi that Xuan Ting would pay for what he did to their people. Did he already decide by then that he would manipulate it so that the governance of the Central Plains returned to them after all? 

Certainly, the epilogue hinted too that Shen'nong Yi at least remained in contact with the resistance army, even if Hong Jiang disapproved of his choices. The leaked script indicated that Hong Jiang continued to fight to ensure that those who pledged their allegiance to Xuan Yuan would be doubly valued and rewarded for their loyalty. Hopefully when S2 comes, this is explained in greater clarity. Luo Jia was prominently featured in Once Promised, and he too was the one who saved the badly injured Lie Yang towards the end. Another reason to find time to read the novel.

You make a good point about the demon core and how it links to Xiang Liu. It's true that we never get any mention of what happened to his demon core, which seems to give some credence, however slight, that it was supposed to be explained either in the rumoured 2nd LYF epilogue, or perhaps in the 4th book that never saw the light of day.

So I am behind on this thread again and there are several posts that I am hoping to respond to eventually when I have more time to read them in detail. But, once again, I found myself today listening to a song and thinking of LYF and I had to get it down while it was fresh in my mind. Today it was "Someday Out of the Blue" by Elton John. 

Someday out of the blue
In a crowded street

Or a deserted square
I'll turn and I'll see you
As if our love were new
Someday we can 
start again 
someday soon

Here comes the night
Here come the memories
Lost in your arms
Down in the Foreign field
Not so long ago
Seems like eternity
Those sweet afternoons
Still capture me

[Verse 1 repeats]

I still believe
I still put faith in us
We had it all
And watched it slip away
Where are we now
Not where we want to be
Those hot afternoons
Still follow me

Someday out of the blue
Maybe years from now

Or tomorrow night
I'll turn and I'll see you
As if we always knew
Someday we would live again someday soon

I still believe
I still put faith in us
I still believe
I still put faith in us
I still believe
I still put faith in us

[Verse 2 repeats]

[Verse 4 repeats]

[Verse 1 repeats]

[Chorus repeats twice]

It had me picturing a whole new canon-compliant, post-canon, YaoLiu fix-it ending. 

1.   At the end of LYF, Xiao Yao and TSJ still leave for the ocean. Although they don't specifically say anything to each other about their first destination, they track down and visit the island where Xiang Liu died in order to pay their respects. Then they spend almost a year looking for the mercouple that saved TSJ / someone who can communicate with merpeople. But of course that year also involves a lot of intense grieving, plus both TSJ and Xiao Yao both think about TSZ often. At the end of the year, with nothing to show for their search and thoughts of TSZ weighing heavily on both of them, Xiao Yao finally tells TSJ that she thinks they should return to Qing Qiu... and she has a plan.

2.   The two of them visit Jade Mountain and speak to Sir Bi and Lie Yang, who agree to lend their identities to TSJ and Xiao Yao for ~150 years. Disguised as Sir Bi and Lie Yang, TSJ and Xiao Yao go to Qing Qiu and become TSZ's advisors. Their story is that they have come as a favor to Xiao Yao (and TSJ, if TSZ / the Tushan Clan were aware that TSJ was alive - perhaps thanks to the letters TSJ left for them). She / they had asked that, once the new Royal Mother settled into her role,  "Sir Bi" and "Lie Yang" look after TSZ until he came of age. As "Sir Bi" and "Lie Yang" were used to privacy and seclusion during their centuries of living on Jade Mountain, they made it known that they generally preferred not to have outsiders visit and did not live in the Tushan Clan residence. But, between them, TSJ and Xiao Yao were able to provide TSZ with a great deal of guidance and protection, made sure (in addition to what CX was already doing) that the clan elders toed the line, and shouldered as much of TSZ's burdens as they could. Eventually, TSZ came to realize (without being told) who "Sir Bi" and "Lie Yang" really were. Over time, TSZ grew to be a confident, intelligent, and compassionate young man and slowly started to take on some of the Clan Leader roles that were temporarily being handled by the clan elders (with TSJ, Xiao Yao or CX getting involved when necessary). At the end of the 150 years, "Sir Bi" and "Lie Yang" left Qing Qiu and "returned to Jade Mountain" (TSJ and Xiao Yao were finally able to go back to the ocean to explore and to reunite with Miao Pu and Left Ear, and this time they were as free as they posssibly could be, while their family members still lived, of all ties to Dahuang). 

3.   After exploring the ocean for a while, Xiao Yao sets up a new medical clinic with TSJ, Miao Pu and Left Ear. About 300 years after the end of LYF, TSJ's health deteriorated significantly (due to the long-term affects of the injuries he sustained from TSH) and he passed away. After that, Xiao Yao resumes wandering. Although she is no longer actively looking for the mercouple that saved TSJ's life, she still pays attention when news of the merpeople is mentioned. At one point in her travels, Xiao Yao hears a rumour about a white-haired man who can speak the language of the merpeople. But after some cursory attempts to find out more, Xiao Yao once again comes away with no leads. Until one day, out of the blue, in a crowded street, Xiao Yao turns and sees him: a white-haired man who looks like a younger version of Xiang Liu. 

4.   This man is Xiang Liu's reincarnation, who goes by the name Xiang Yao (相繇). [Note: That happens to be the name that is used to refer to Xiang Liu in the Classiscs of the Mountains and the Sees, the transition from Xiang Liu to Xiang Yao partly matches the transition from Xiao Liu to Jiu Yao / Xiao Yao (although the two Yaos are pronounced deferently  - yāo vs. yáo), and (since he is a snake demon who was born from an egg with no parents, and therefore might have named himself, it suggests that perhaps some memory of Xiao Yao managed to survive somewhere within him after the reincarnation).] As he has not learned Gong Gong's healing technique, has not developed his own fighting style from that technique, has not spent 100+ years training in the far north, has not amplified his power by eating FFB, has not further amplified his power with 100+ years of Xiao Yao's poisons, and has not spent ~400 years training and fighting with the Shengnong remnant army, he is nowhere near as strong as Xiang Liu was at the end of LYF. He is as strong as Xiang Liu would have been at 300 if his life had turned out differently. Since young Xiang Liu was strong enough to survive the death match arena, he would still have been pretty strong. But Xiang Yao did not retain any memories of his previous life, at least not consciously, including all the trauma he endured. He lived a life that was fairly simple and happy, if a bit lonely. 

5.   During all these years, Xiao Yao still has memories of Xiang Liu come back to her often, and when she sees this man who looks so much like Xiang Liu she is momentarily overcome with a barrage of memories and emotions. Sensing her gaze, the man turns to look at Xiao Yao too, and there's a two-destined-people-frozen-in-time-looking-at-one-another-while-the-world-moves-around-them moment. 

https://youtu.be/iwHmuuwy3l4?si=JNKMzW_cL3Fh39p6&t=114

Then, Xiao Yao approaches the man. At first she wonders if this really is Xiang Liu or his reincarnation. And, if it is, if he is only pretending to not recognize her. But Xiao Yao convinces Xiang Yao to help her track down (and help her communicate with) the mercouple, and over time she concludes that this probably is Xiang Liu's reincarnation and he really doesn't remember her. But as they search for the mercouple, Xiang Yao starts to fall for Xiao Yao again even without his memories. And when they encounter certain things (and, eventually, track down the mercouple and learn the truth about how TSJ was saved), he regains some of his old memories. Not to the extent that he is overwhelmed by sad memories. But enough that, over time, he recalls all of the memories that played an important role in his relationship with Xiao Yao. In the end, Xiao Yao and Xiang Yao are together, they are unburdened by ties of loyalty to CX / Xuan Yuan and Gong Gong / the Shengnong remnant army, and they are free to start again... to live again... to have a happy, simple life together.

Ironically, TSJ turned out to be the temporary companion, who helped alleviate Xiao Yao's loneliness until she could meet Xiang Liu's reincarnation. 

AH :
Chapter 6 from this video has some interesting analysis of the song Europapa. It's deeper than it appears at first glance.

Also, for those who ended up watching that Europapa analysis video, Joost sampled about ten seconds of it in the new music video he just released! 

https://youtu.be/ApfNFdZZtjE?si=D1pE_i6vWtZZ37he&t=121

liddi:
Finally got around to translating the additional epilogue for Once Promised from the 2019 revised edition, which took place in the years when Xiao Yao went missing from Jade Mountain.

Thank you! It was a very interesting read.

liddi:
With no intention of taking any more notice of Luo Jia, Yi got up to leave the room. Jiang Li followed him out, and after ensuring no one was around, she asked, “Eldest Brother, what does the Gao Xin princess look like?”

Yi said, “How could I have ever seen her? Deity children grow slowly. Judging from her age, she should look like a seven or eight year old human child.”
 liddi:
The boy looked to be about ten years old, but carried himself with great maturity and composure. His face was dusty and bore signs of weariness. Jiang Li guessed he was probably Prince Cang Xuan. Even Xuan Ting was so respectful, which indicated that his status was extraordinary. She discreetly retreated to the corner and knelt down.

It's interesting that they thought Xiao Yao looked to be about seven or eight years old but Cang Xuan looked to be about ten years old. I thought the two were not born very far apart.

AH :
But, once again, I found myself today listening to a song and thinking of LYF and I had to get it down while it was fresh in my mind. Today it was "Someday Out of the Blue" by Elton John.

Pretty song :)

"Almost Lover" by A Fine Frenzy also reminds me of LYF - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_S_TbD1XFM&ab_channel=AFineFrenzyVEVO

AH :
Also, for those who ended up watching that Europapa analysis video, Joost sampled about ten seconds of it in the new music video he just released!

https://youtu.be/ApfNFdZZtjE?si=D1pE_i6vWtZZ37he&t=121

Nice, that is so meta.

liddi:
You make a good point about the demon core and how it links to Xiang Liu. It's true that we never get any mention of what happened to his demon core, which seems to give some credence, however slight, that it was supposed to be explained either in the rumoured 2nd LYF epilogue, or perhaps in the 4th book that never saw the light of day.
 AH :
It had me picturing a whole new canon-compliant, post-canon, YaoLiu fix-it ending.

I think Tong Hua strongly hinted at XL's resurrection in various ways. The poster from the old version of LYF shows XL holding hands with XY while admiring the moon. However, in the novel, XL only holds hands with WXL to watch the moon rise from the surface of the ocean.

In an illustration from the new version of the book, a white haired XL is shooting arrows with XY. However, in the novel, only FFB shoots arrows with XY.

Moreover, there's Tong Hua's cryptic Weibo posts that insinuate the story has not concluded:

26度-晴: 虽然这里谈的是长相思,可是我还是忍不住要问,孟钰是真的死了吗?云中歌看了好多遍,真的好希望陵哥哥是假死或者孟钰只是掉进了河里,这样的话云歌就不是一个人了。
Reader: Although we are discussing “Lost You Forever” here, I can't help but ask: Did Meng Yu really die? I've read “Song in the Clouds” many times and truly hope that Brother Ling is only pretending to be dead or that Meng Yu just fell into the river. That way, Yun Ge wouldn't be alone.

桐华tonghua: 我不知道…我也希望他活着,能多年后,江湖再见。
Tong Hua: I don't know... I also hope that he is alive, and that they can meet again in the world years later.

一朵西柚精: 前两部有很多伏笔, 在第三部里也没有解释, 这, 是什么节奏??
Reader: The first two parts had many foreshadowings, which were not explained in the third part. What kind of rhythm is this??

桐华tonghua: 这是......要长期奋斗的节奏!
Tong Hua: This is... the rhythm of long-term struggle!

桐华tonghua: 用这个问题作为开场吧, 其实, 每个故事的结束都并不是那些人物的真正的结局, 在这个问题上, 我是个很不切实际的 人, 我总觉得故事只是他们生命的一个段落, 即使我的故事结束了, 他们的生活依旧在另外一个空间继续, 所以, 每个故事都不可能有真正的结局的。
Tong Hua: Let's start with this question. In fact, the conclusion of every story is not the real ending for those characters. On this matter, I am quite unrealistic. I always feel that the story is just a chapter in their lives. Even though my story has ended, their lives continue in another space, so, it’s not possible for every story to have a true ending.

Let's take a look at some foreshadowing in the novel that hint at XL's resurrection.

At Xin Yue and FL’s birthday party, in Vol 2 Ch 1 (Chapter 18), FFB performed a magic trick of turning XY’s dress different colors using flower petals. XY’s original dress was gardenia yellow (栀黄). FFB then proceed to turn the dress the following colors:

1. White (白色) using a white hosta flower (白色的玉簪花)
  2. Violet (紫罗兰色) using two purple-blue violet flowers (紫蓝色的紫罗兰花)
  3. Green (绿色) using a green green-calyx plum flower (绿色的绿萼花)
  4. Red (红色) using a red hollyhock flower (红色的蜀葵花)

The order of the colors is the exact opposite of the order used to describe the ice crystal wind chimes at Jing’s Qing Shui Town residence in Vol 1 Ch 6 (Chapter 6) and Vol 3 Ch 13 (Chapter 46).

1. Scarlet red (赤红色) - The first character is the same as XY’s father’s name Chi Chen (赤宸)
  2. Bamboo green (竹青色)
  3. Purple indigo (紫靛蓝色)
  4. Moonlight white lotus (月下荷白色)

Because the description of the wind chimes comes right after Xiang Liu’s first assassination attempt on Cang Xuan (Chapter 6) and right before Xiang Liu assassinated Feng Long (Chapter 46), I think the colors have to do with the order of near deaths and deaths in the novel. The first to almost die is Xiao Yao, who is represented by the scarlet red color since she is Chi Chen’s daughter. The next to almost die is Jing, who is represented by the bamboo green color. The purple indigo is Feng Long. The moonlight white lotus if Xiang Liu.

Jing is describes as looking like tall bamboo in numerous places in the book. I’ve been too lazy to track down how violet/purple indigo is associated with Feng Long, but I’m associating it with him due to process of elimination to fit the analogy.

Now let’s revisit the colors the FFB turned XY’s dresses, which is the reverse order of the wind chimes, so we have Xiang Liu, Feng Long, Jing, Xiao Yao. The first three colors correspond to XY’s first three marriages: she “married” Xiang Liu when they planted the Lovers’ Gu, then came Feng Long, then Jing. However, if we interpret the last color, red, to represent XY, this breaks the wedding analogy. But what if we interpret the red to represent FFB instead of XY? The wind chime/death analogy still works because XL is often compared with Chi Chen. Moreover, FFB was the first to "die."

In the dress color/wedding analogy, XL used a red hollyhock flower to turn XY’s dress red. The flower language of hollyhock is “dream.” Dream is also the name of the fragrance that XY concocted while visiting the flower demon shop with FFB. This could foreshadow XL getting resurrected as FFB and eventually marrying XL, giving more credence to the rumored second epilogue. Other clues to FFB/XL’s revival include FFB telling XY to remember him, the nine stalks soul reversing grass gifted by the Gui Fang clan at CX’s first wedding, and the snake demon story ending with the snake demon (XL) chasing after Xiao Yao.

P.S. I think yellow also represents FFB. XY was wearing a yellow dress when she first saw FFB at the dance hall. The flower that FFB shot to demonstrate his skill with the bow and arrow was yellow. Her original dress color that FFB performed the magic trick on was yellow. Also, after FFB ended their archery lessons and FFYY’s pregnancy was announced, XY wore a light yellow dress as A Nian conjured lotus flowers in a basin. Perhaps the last scene hints that the end of XY’s archery relationship with FFB having a larger impact on causing her subsequent depression than losing Jing due to FFYY’s pregnancy.