It's 2018 and finally, we're seeing a rise of Asian Dramas that celebrate empowered women and have strong feminine themes, so I thought it would be really nice to know or discover more of these so-called dramas.

Initially, I'm looking for those that focus more on this theme (e.g. story of women in positions of power/influence/authority), but I realized later on that "girl power" is actually quite subjective as it could mean or resonate differently to some people, which is why I'm keeping my options open for basically any dramas that greatly inspired and motivated you as a woman—or even as a person—at some point or as a whole.

It doesn't need to have the typical strong female lead (although that would be very appreciated, too) since truthfully, "strength" could come in different forms.

BONUS if these dramas have any of the following:

-Female lead as the Main Protagonist
-Strong and Supportive Friendships (girl friendships!)
-Great Romance, if there's any (I'm also fine with no romance, though)
-Tackles the struggles of and being a woman in real life
-Solid Plot (doesn't matter what genre as long as it's goooood) and Satisfying/Happy Ending

Few examples: (Korea) Misty, Queen Seon Duk, Jewel in the Palace, I Hear Your Voice, and Sungkyunkwan Scandal; (Japan) Doctor X; (China) Sound of the Desert

Mondai no Aru Restaurant - focuses on a group of women/friends fighting with male hierarchy in the workplace. 

Honestly, I wish that there were more Asian dramas that featured empowered females and feminine themes!

I'm rather interested in this topic as I was just thinking recently that there are a lot of dramas that seem to have the same kind of lead female character. They're not particularly smart, pretty or even good at much of anything and they end up in these relationships where they are taken advantage of or no one actually believes they could be with that person. I'd be very interested to see dramas with a main female lead who is smart or funny or discovers they are really good at something when they try it for the first time.

There have been lots of female-centric K-dramas lately and I love it. More and more are being announced, too!

It looks like you've seen some of these but I'll post them anyway for others to see.

Mother: It's a story all about motherhood, and the many different types of mothers out there. All of the women in this show are wonderfully complex, and I love that it shows that not all women who can have children should, and just because you're not blood-related to your family doesn't mean that your ties aren't just as strong.  Just a truly fantastic show all around and definitely the best of 2018 so far. Good luck at Cannes, Mother! <3

Age of Youth: The 5 roommates start out butting heads, but they form strong bonds as the show progresses and I thought it was a really nice way of showing how 5 completely different girls can become friends and support one another.

Because This is My First Life: This show explores many themes and has many strengths, but one of the best parts is the friendship between the 3 girls. They are extremely supportive of each other, and it's one of few shows where the ex-girlfriend is a wonderfully fleshed-out character and isn't just a bitch. The show also explores the challenges that women experience in the workplace, especially sexual harassment. Bonus: male lead who actually respects female lead.

Dal-ja's Spring: One of the few dramas where the show's focus stays in the heroine all the way through. She starts out insecure and a bit judgmental, yes, but that all changes by the end. It really is a story about, well, her spring, and she exhibits remarkable character development. It takes her a while, but she gets there. It also explores the lives of many different types of working women, which I appreciated. Also one of the few shows that demonstrates that men and women CAN be "just" friends. Another show where the male lead actually respects the female lead. My favorite noona romance.

Definitely try:

• Ode to Joy (Chinese Drama)- the two season is about 5 very different girls, going through different experiences and circumstances. It tackles each individual love /romance, family issues, work obstacles, life struggles and personal triumphs. all the while supporting each other whether it be nagging or screaming, or shoulder to cry on, someone to talk to or silently sitting beside each other. Definitely the best representation of Girl Power in any eastern show ever. And a very, very, very satisfying drama!!!
  • Kounodori (Japanese Drama)- The main character is actually a man who is a genuis mysterious pianist by night and a doctor in his daytime job. The story revolves around a hospital where he works as OB/GYNE so this drama shows the different circumstance of what the doctors, parents and babies face before, during and after birth. It tackles different cases of women/mothers as they go through the pain, joy, fear, unforseen diseases, unconditional love, and fight   to give life and protect that life. And as much as these is about birth, babies and mothers.... it is more about life and womanhood.
  • Dear My Friends (Korean Drama)- centers around the group of hometown friends, mostly women, in their twilight years -- remembering the past, struggling through being a senior citizen yet still alive and kicking. The message or motto of "It is not the end, we're still alive" is perfectly encapsulated in this drama. They may be in their last years of life, it still doesn't stop them from growing and teaching us young folks of friendship and girl power. 
  • Woman Who Still wants to marry (Korean Drama) - this one is a romcom noona romance at its main plot, but it still has strong female centered narrative for a group of high school friends as they lived their middle aged lives in different circumstances, dreams and goals
  • Tokyo Friends (Japanese Drama) also focuses on group of different girls who have a kinship together, as they lived through their own lives and their friendship
  • Fantastic and Scent of a Woman (Korean dramas)- these two dramas are a prime example that even if death is knocking on your wall. it is never too late to enjoy life, love, frienship and girl power.
  • Girl K (Korean Mini drama) more of a 'Kill Bill' type of girl power. she is a loner avenging girl on a mission
  • Ex GF club (Korean drama)- most unlikely set of friendship between girls that are ex-girlfriends of a man they onced loved. very funny and entertaining. 
  • Women of Dignity
  • Legendary Witch
  • Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bokjoo
  • +1 --- Age of Youth (both seasons)
  • +1 --- Avengers Social Club

- Witch's court

Jimi ni sugoi, she's stylish and cool

fanitha:

I'm almost finished w/ Live Up To Your Name (What a fun drama, I love it)

I've been keeping my eyes on Soratobu Kouhoushitsu for a long time, soooooo I guess this is a sign for me to finally watch it :)))))

Thanks for Ms. Temper & Nam Jung Gi! It kind of fits my description, so I'm very curious how well it goes (Added it to my PTW list). Not yet sure with 1 Litre of Tears, on the other hand. I know it's a great motivational drama but I think I'll still need to find a perfect time and mood to prepare myself for it. Thank you for these recommendations, nonetheless!

Women kicking butt in areas that were / are traditionally male-dominated:

• Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo - competitive weightlifting
  • Sungkyunkwan Scandal - academia (historical)
  • Strongest Deliveryman - food delivery and martial arts
  • Doctors - martial arts
  • City Hunter - martial arts / security
  • Bromance - martial arts
  • Love O2O - computer science
  • The Imperial Doctress - medicine (historical)
  • The Princess Wei Young - public policy (historical)
 rad_lisette:
Mondai no Aru Restaurant

Oh, I live for this kind of dramas! I usually stay away from cooking/food related shows (mostly because they make me hungry, which is most likely their point) but nothing appeals to me more than a strong bond and friendship between women. Thanks for the recommendation! Hopefully, we'll see more of this trend this year!!! :)

+1 Avengers Social Club
Bad Thief, Good Thief
The Flame's Daughter
Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms AKA Eternal Love
+1 38 Task Force
Angry Mom
Beethoven Virus
Flowers For My Life
I Hear Your Voice
Just Between Lovers
+1 Live Up To Your Name
Mary Stayed Out All Night
Money Flower
Moon Lovers Scarlet Heart Ryeo
Night Light
Queen for Seven Days
Rebel Thief Who Stole the People
Sassy Go Go
Save Me
Shopping King Louis
+1 Signal
The Guardians
The Legend
Voice
Whisper
Witch's Romance
+1 Woman of Dignity

Jeana:
I'm rather interested in this topic as I was just thinking recently that there are a lot of dramas that seem to have the same kind of lead female character

Exactly my thoughts! That kind of bothers me as well. I don't know if they are intentionally doing this (maybe that caters more to a bigger audience?) or they are simply running out of ideas and creativity when it comes to female leads.  Realistically, more women watch dramas than men, so shouldn't that be a reasonable factor for them to offer diverse characters and personalities at least? Nonetheless, I'm also looking for that kind of drama! I really want to watch something that focus more on the journey or growth of a woman in terms of her career, relationship, and life (e.g. self-discovery/acceptance, character development, empowerment, and etc.) I'm not sure though if there's a lot of this out there??? 

Currently I'm watching "Something in the Rain". It's a Noona Romance, but it's also a take on modern womanhood. This is what I wrote about it:

"Wow, this is so much more than just a Noona Romance! It’s about a modern working women. About the choices she has to make… to speak up for herself or not, to tolerate unwelcome male behavior or not, to bow down to the pressure of marriage or not. And about a modern man who is self-assured enough to want to be with a woman who makes the tougher choices. Apart from the age difference Jin Ah and Joon Hee are equal. Neither of them is more affluent then the other, they are in the same social group, they both work hard, they both like the same things. The relationship feels completely natural because of that."

Also: the main couple is sooooo cute!^^

Mindy:
I love that it shows that not all women who can have children should, and just because you're not blood-related to your family doesn't mean that your ties aren't just as strong.

I've been contemplating whether to watch Mother or not (I was a bit skeptical with the abuse tag), but thanks for including this drama on your list, I now have more reasons to watch it. Added to my PTW list!!!

Mindy:
It really is a story about, well, her spring, and she exhibits remarkable character development. It takes her a while, but she gets there. It also explores the lives of many different types of working women, which I appreciated. Also one of the few shows that demonstrates that men and women CAN be "just" friends. Another show where the male lead actually respects the female lead

My friends also recommended Dal-ja's Spring to me! What a coincidence!! I initially thought it focuses more on the "noona romance", which put me off a bit (not because I hate noona romance dramas, but because I thought there's nothing unique or interesting about it other than that) so again, thanks for adding that. I'll also add this on my PTW list! :)