Rename the 'Stalker's Guide' Articles

This discussion has been closed.

ali:

I don't see any dark meaning behind it once it's clearly a figure of speech. No one's setting up a guide with private, personal information of the artists nor encouraging anyone to act like a crazy sasaeng... Chill! It's just a playful joke with words! No offense, mate, but you seriously need to read a tad more and get used to the literature world if this kind of title is able torment you in anyways.

Offense kind of taken - I read widely and know that words do indeed scare off certain types of readers. I'm not terrified and I do understand that the terminology can be seen as playful too. I get the joke.

I just thought it was a simple thing to switch the title to accommodate folks that find it uncomfortable. It's a friendly suggestion, nothing more.

It requires zero to little work to change a single word on a post that some may find offensive. It's a valuable thing to consider, especially when changing it would not change the point of the article.  It doesn't matter if the word personally is not offensive to me, I can see the value in changing it for another person as a considerate move and an easy one.

People are becoming waaay too sensitive over the dumbest thing these days. Know what else is a bad word? Bias. Its actual meaning is bigotry and prejudice but I don't see anyone getting upset over that -_-

#chillout #itsnotthatserious

Don't hate me, but I am raising my hand saying I like the name and thought it was creative because until MDL,  this is what I spent most of my time doing trying to figure out a show to watch....so I got a chuckle out of it and still do.        

I don't think people are being too sensitive.  Stalking is a crime, and a serious problem for many celebrities.  It's perfectly normal to feel uncomfortable about it.  Maybe MDL users know what a "Stalker's Guide" is, but outsiders don't.

"Bias" is less offensive because it's a well-known term throughout the entire k-pop community, and it's usually used in a positive way (favorite member of a group).  As far as I know, "bias" usually isn't associated with creepy behavior.  Nonetheless I probably wouldn't use "bias" in an article title.

If we can't agree that "stalker" is offensive, we can think of it from a marketing perspective.  A title should make people interested in reading the article, and not be misleading.

When I see the title "Stalker's Guide", I expect an immature article, filled with unimportant personal information.

Here are some articles about famous actors that I found on google.  I don't know if the articles are good, but the titles attract my attention.  I think someone who wants to seriously learn about these actors will click one of these articles before they click a "Stalker's Guide".

The Last Samurai: The Life and Films of Toshiro Mifune
Japanese Cinema’s Uncommon Man: Tatsuya Nakadai’s Dissidents, Outcasts, and Shadow Warriors
Space and Transition in the Films of Setsuko Hara
The Incomparable Charisma of Chow Yun-fat
Famous Martial Arts Master Jackie Chan and His Remarkable Career

I think it's fine. I agree with what OldAnimeLady said: "If you look for the negative in everything you will find it." I think people tend to get offended by things too easily nowadays. Not everything needs to be controversial. I know not everyone will agree with me and that's fine. Just wanted to share my opinion. 

I've been stalked. It was terrifying and gave me panic attacks. It was a decade ago, and I still don't feel safe. I will never feel safe. 

Every time there's a feature up with the title "A stalker's guide to .  .  ." I close the MDL tab as fast as I can, and I keep doing that until the feature scrolls away. I'm not being "oversensitive". I'm avoiding a word that instantly calls up a terrible experience for me.

It's an own goal. Why, when you can choose any title you want, would you choose a title that turns people off?

then can you gave us a better suggestion since your questioning the title itself, i don't have any problem with the title, what important is to know more about the person and their works and achievements in show business and entermainment  industry.

OldAnimeLady:
As writer of these guides I can tell you that the amount of effort put into them makes you feel like a stalker, i feel the name is apt. i personally have been known to pull information off 10-15 sites to consolidate into one decent article.

"does someone know there nickname? " "Has there immediate family names been revealed?" "Are they related to someone famous?" All this goes into the first paragraph after the stats...

Yep, that's the point why it called Stalker guide.

@its_me_ali: "Killing it" and "stole my heart" are very common phrases, and most people know what they mean.  "Stalking" is used almost exclusively in a negative way.  It's not a figure of speech.  You can't just invent a new phrase and expect people to know that you're not using it in a negative way.

Another issue is that celebrity stalking is quite common, and a lot of people don't understand the problems that it causes.  Calling it a "Stalker's Guide" is insensitive, and it seems to encourage unhealthy behavior.

Even in context, "Stalker's Guide" still sounds negative.  No one uses this phrase outside MDL, so how would they know how to interpret it?  As I mentioned earlier, I've been avoiding these articles because I thought they were immature articles with personal information about the actor.  Maybe not literal stalking, but still not an article that I wanted to read.  If I read the articles, I would know what they're about, but the title gives a bad first impression.

I've been a drama fan for several years now, but I never really bothered to familiarize myself with actors I mean the most that I would do is look up their name and age back when Dramafever was still a thing lol.

After coming across MDL I've found myself getting more interested in the actors themselves, now I have favorites that I tend to watch regardless of whether or not the genre is one that I prefer watching, and stalkers guide are a BIG reason why. Stalker's Guide introduce you to not only the artist, BUT also the person behind the persona!

All in all I think if you look for a flaw in anything you're bound to find it, but everyone here understands that the name is just some harmless fun, so don't overthink it. 

Authors are free to use whatever name they want in the future,  so they can choose whether to continue using  the Stalker Guide name or changing it to something that is more pleasing to everyone. One suggestion could be something like  'Everything You Need To Know About Lee Min Ho!'  If you'd like to write one of these [or any] articles, feel free to message me or one of the editors. 

I'll be closing this thread now since things have gotten heated. 

Skye-N-Rain locked this Feb 25, 2019 01:05 pm
Skye-N-Rain unlocked this Feb 25, 2019 01:05 pm
Skye-N-Rain locked this Feb 25, 2019 01:08 pm