A lot of people, including myself, need/want trigger warnings to ensure that we are safe when watching content, especially when the content only has 2 other viewers and we don't know who they are to contact them to find out if the media contains content.

I’d like to propose for the meantime, tags are allowed to include the top 20 trigger warnings worldwide (will work with admins and psych sites to help make the list up full: there’s a list here on making your classroom safe of some of them
https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/inclusive-teaching/2017/12/12/an-introduction-to-content-warnings-and-trigger-warnings/
Since the most common ones will count for many of the users of MDL who do need trigger warnings, this would work for the meantime.
(Drinking, Gambling, Smoking, Insects, Self-harm, Suicide already in use as ‘trigger warning’ tags – addiction relapse can cause death so I propose these are also 100% included as seeing these things in the wrong head space can be disastrous)

Past that I’d like to propose that media gets a “trigger warning” page like Episode Guide, Cast, etc. Users can submit to this (anonymously, if they wish) that this includes “drug usage in episode 10” or “this causes me not to eat for a week – there is hair very present in food at XX:XX” etc. This allows for trigger warnings on the site to be personalised to each person’s need, allows people to stay anonymous and reduce the risk of teasing/bullying bc “oh wow that triggers you?” and allows uses a space to view if they’re safe to watch a media or not. This page as well would allow 'trigger warning tags' that aren't 100% tags of content to be deleted later but also allow users to be safe in the future with the content they watch.

I would also like to propose that these submissions be checked by edit admins and they can only be removed by edit admins. For example, if someone was trying to remove the “self-harm” warning on the trigger warning page, they can request for it to be removed but also have to give an explanation (e.g. "the character does not do this action purposely in any way to harm themselves on purpose").

113votes
Hessa Volunteer Staff

We need a checklist like this when choosing the content rating:

• Nudity
    • Brief nudity
    • Full nudity
  • Sexual content
    • Implied sexual scenes
    • Graphic sexual scenes
  • Violence
    • Mild violence
    • Graphic violence/Gore
  • Profanity
  • Sensitive topics and images
    • Insects
    • Self-harm
    • Suicide
    • Gambling
    • Smoking
    • Drinking
    • Drug use
    • Rape
    • Animal abuse
    • Animal death
    • Child abuse
    • Child death
    • Eating disorder
    • Mental illness

I'd also add in Animal death to that and I 100% agree, especially as right now to tag blood such as nose bleeds we have to use the "gore" tag

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 etherealtaekibum:
as right now to tag blood such as nose bleeds we have to use the "gore" tag

Why not use the tag "Blood"? Maybe keep "Gore" for graphic violence and "Blood" for things like nose bleeds, periods, scratches, and minor wounds.

Blood hasn't been used, only a few times, no description etc, and seemed like a to be deleted tag, but with your permission I'll take it over, edit it up and start tagging up

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 etherealtaekibum:

Blood hasn't been used, only a few times, no description etc, and seemed like a to be deleted tag, but with your permission I'll take it over, edit it up and start tagging up

You can add a description and tag things with it. Just make sure that the description clarifies that it should not be used for gore.

Hessa:

You can add a description and tag things with it. Just make sure that the description clarifies that it should not be used for gore.

I'll hop on it!

I would think gory scenes should be tagged with gore AND blood, right?  But scenes with small injuries etc. should only be tagged with blood.

I like that list. Please add it to the tags. That way we can display it as a trigger warning.

Maybe do something similar to doesthedogdie.com for this?  You could have a separate page to prevent spoilers: 

• Details
  • Episode Guide
  • Cast
  • Reviews
  • Recommendations
  • Photos
  • Content Advisory (Warning! Contains spoilers!)

And then have a page where people can answer yes or no questions about content similar to doesthedogdie.com's format.

You'd probably have to prevent people from answering "no" while it's still airing though, since content could still come up in the last episode.

Another possibility, people could be able to block certain tags. That sounds like it might be easier to implement then needing to add content to so many pages. It could be a sliding scale option in the settings. "Soft block" meaning that a user sees a warning on a show that includes a tag they don't like, or "hard block" where any show containing those tags does not show up in searches. 

linking here also this suggestion for excluding some tags > https://mydramalist.com/discussions/suggestions/42391-option-to-exclude-tags-in-advanced-search 

it would be really useful if implemented together with the "trigger warning" tags

fiflydramalover:

Another possibility, people could be able to block certain tags. That sounds like it might be easier to implement then needing to add content to so many pages. It could be a sliding scale option in the settings. "Soft block" meaning that a user sees a warning on a show that includes a tag they don't like, or "hard block" where any show containing those tags does not show up in searches. 

exactly! i wish i could filter out certain stuff and i hope this function will come eventually on this site.