Why do thai lakorns always have to make the female protagonist (and sometimes male) suffer under the constant abuse of the evil people that always surround her (or him). I feel like thai lakorns have competitions with each other to see which show can create the most evil and hated character ever. Some of the actions done by said characters include, physical and mental abuse, murder and attempted murder, rape and in one case someone was trying to push a pregnant lady down the stairs so she would lose it.  Ill stop the rant here because if i continue itll go on forever.

Essentially im looking for a lakorn that doesnt have this aspect, or if it does contain these elements, it would be best if it wasnt too over the top. And it would be best if the female (or male) lead fought back. Also it has to have english subtitles as i do not know thai.

I'm not a lakorn expert (I've barely seen 10) and I haven't searched about this topic enough to give you a proper answer. Since I know next to nothing about the problem you mentioned, I don't have any other options than to chalk it upto cultural differences. It might not be an exact answer, but it is a reason, to an extent, why things work out in lakorns the way they do.
The reasons you mentioned are the ones I'm also wary of watching lakorns. It takes me forever to pick one, because I have to make sure that it doesn't have too much craziness, for which I have to research a lot, sometimes even read spoilers.
Maybe, sometimes (although it happens very rarely) I can take the crazy villains (for eg. I really enjoyed Kleun Cheewit, although the villain was a psycho), but the physical abuse/ rape, no way. I abhor that. That's just...wrong. If you go towards your typical lakorns, you are bound to find crazy villains in each one (Rape/ physical & mental abuse are generally in Slap & Kiss lakorns)

But these days, they are releasing quite a few youth-centered dramas (/miniseries)
You can try out:

UDS: Perfect Match : Very cute series with a very likable male lead

UDS: Don't  : Sort of a bad boy falling in love drama

UDS: Boy's Paradise
: This was just really funny. and cute.

Wanna Be A Superstar
: I haven't watched this yet, but I've heard that it's light and just your typical rom-com

UPS: The Lovely Geologist
: Again very cute.

Leh Nangfah
:     I'm currently watching this, and it's good. Doesn't look like there's going to some super villain here, but then again, I'm just on the 3rd ep. The story is about a woman who looks down on other people and is too proud of her beauty. To teach her a lesson, the angels curse her to become a bird at night. She has to complete three tasks before the curse can be broken. 

There are probably a lot more that you can find, but these are all I know of. Hope this helps :)
It takes me quite a while myself thats why instead of searching I decided to go to the forums. I like the miniseries that thai lakorns come out with so ive previewed a few of them, although they arent something id seek out, I did find a few I ended up liking. But thanks for the suggestions, ill try the miniseries youve mentioned.
 http://mydramalist.com/11436-tarm-ruk-keun-jai
 I saw this lakorn a while back, but as far as I remember this is one of the better lakorns out there.  
Like someone mentioned above the newer Thai Drama series aimed at younger people don't have the abuse. U Prince Series is one of my favorites! There are also some good dramas mentioned in this article about common lakorn cliches. Hope that helps!
Kiss: The Series
Wannueng Jaa Pben Superstar
full house
Cubic is a great lakorn,and also Lah Ratree 2015....Lah Ratree is truly amazing...I love the fact the main lead's mother and sister saw through the evil bitch right away.....They shipped the main guy and girl...They were both faithful to each other.....
Check out Hormones, it is a normal drama :)