• Location: NYC
  • Birthday: August 24
  • Join Date: June 27, 2011
Myu no Anyo Papa ni Ageru
Jun 23, 2013
I re-stumbled upon this after reading a article by an MDL member then, remembered that it was in my too watch list and decided to give it a go. Well not before doing some tracking and learning that the story was based on the true story of Yamaguchi Hayato, a young man who learns that he has a rare illness known as Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy. A disease which affects his nervous system making him begin to lose the functioning of his limbs, but he is determined to fight the illness with the support of his wife and his 2-year-old daughter, Myu-chan. After learning this I banish husband and kids, grabbed a box of tissues (just in case) and settle with my computer in a remote place in the house.

After 2 hours all I can say is that I just lo loved all the sweetness that was pact into this movie,even if I kind of feel that we were let down in the department of learning a little more about this disease( not to worry that just probably the med student in me talking...*putting my glasses on and going to hunt for a my medical books TT*)
Oh yeah I was supposed to be writing a review so let gets back to it *_* hihhi!!

Well I was reminded a lot of 1 Litre of Tears as Matsumoto Jun plays 25 year old Yamaguchi Hayato. Although I was quite annoyed still at the really clicheness of the debilitating disease aspect. But I was quite stunned by Jun acting because it was almost the the first time for me to see him deliver such a performance to the point that I asked myself if I had even ever seen him walked normally. It was a serious shock from is active role as Domyouji Tsukasa in Hana Yori Dango, seeing him bedridden and yet so sweet.

Well it can be a little hard at first to buy that him (Jun)looking so young could be a father and but the excellent chemistry between him and his 'daughter' ( sent me in a total KYA FANGIRL MOMENT!!!that I may have fried a few of my neurons :p) in the first five seconds of the movie and throughout. Well in my book the chemistry that father and daughter had totally save me from dying of boredom when confronted to the total lack of chemistry between Jun and Karina with who he teamed up as his wife(don't go pulling you hair yet and thinking that you are going to bleed, they acting actually save them, Yes they both are talented actors, your hair is safe.) Well I would still have to say that Karina was a little more better in Koizora.

With that said !!! I would say that if you are looking for an overly dramatic movie then this is not the one to be picked ( well seeing has I did not reached for my tissue box that much.) This is more suitable for a slow rainy afternoon when you are looking for a sweet movie, with a little hedge seen as it deals with a painful subject.

Well one thing for sure is that it is a movie that as that hopeful tone to it and of course a great layer of the Japanese firm 'never give up' attitude. The ending was really lovely, but it quite still left me with a burning sensation of unresolveness. Well I'd still recommend this for a rainy or sunny Friday or Saturday afternoon when you really want to escape the daily routine of your life, or when you come to a point where you are starting to forget that you should be grateful even for the little things that you have in life.

Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle
Jan 13, 2012
This was a predictable but extremely heartfelt movie that really stress the importance of family. Nothing will surprise you in this gem of a family film but it cleverly tugs on just the right heartstrings to keep you watching to the very end. It was so refreshing to see a well-written, well acted movie that tells an amazing story without ever relying on gratuitous violence or sexuality. Also, the stories that unfold around a culture's most prized dish are wonderful and it really makes you realize that to many people, food is the language of love. It's one of those rare films that the whole family can enjoy and despite it's two hour running length the time will fly by.

The Innocent Man
Dec 27, 2012
Wow I can hear my sister screaming at me already for giving these a 9. Well it was a really good drama one of the few in truth that have really grab my attention this year and made it marathon it in one night without even skipping episode, but still it did not get to 10 material for me. Yes the acting his good, the hateful people do all did a great job at being hateful and disgusting, the pitiful people at being pitiful, and the funny part were indeed funny. So if this drama is such a must watch why did it get a 9 only. Well simply because I was outrage at the sentencing the bad guys got that the only thing I could say was really!!!!, I also thought that some part just really dragged on for too long and finally the ending was a little confusing for me. But other than that I just came to add my too cents and say that if you are on the mood for a good directional drama, with a strong acting, eye candy, perfect ost well you have found your drama.

Shotgun Love
Jan 16, 2012
This movie is totally underrated. The lead actor really does steal the show , it may start really slow but then really pick up. His performance is what holds me totally invested in the movie. Totally endearing. This movie made me laugh and cry ... actually I cried harder than I have in a long time... mostly because I was rooting for his character so much. Great find when you are in the mood for a cute love story. Even the supporting characters just made the lead guy shine better.
Jan 11, 2012
The story of a couple who reunited after their love was denied 400 years ago. When a mummy's is discovered in Choi Hyun Min's home, Kang Hee Sun a medical professor is called in so that she can help identify the mummy. As the story unfolded and unexpected event keep recurring it's discover that the pair were formers lovers in a past life. Soo Hee and Moo Hyun were married but were separated due to unfortunate circumstances when Soo Hee was taken prisoner during a war , she indeed escape, but her husband family did not see things in that light and from a small misunderstanding a bigger tragedy unfolds. I personally thought that the actors in this drama did a really good job portraying each of their roles. It may seemed like a recycled story to some but, I think that the people watching this should actually objectively sit and watch it with fresh eyes. The story was given the right amount of plot holes, so that people are given the opportunity to feels in the missing pieces on their own.

Windstruck
May 30, 2012
The story was a little far-fetched, but really beautiful, with the right dose of romance, comedy and tragedy.

The acting was good, because I have to say that they don't kiss once or even say I love you once. But while watching this movie , I laughed, scream and cried with them at the right place. You feel the love they have for one another, to the point that if they had put a kiss or the eternal I love you in there , it would not feel the same at all.

I totally recommend this movie , if you are looking for a good dose of realistic acting , and a story that make you think that their are more to life than the daily hassles that plague us.

A Moment to Remember
Jan 23, 2012
This movie was simple , quirky and totally compelling. It was a simple boy meet girl then love happens kind of movie, until the moment life happens and then you find yourself suddenly crying with the lead actors. Then it takes you for a tour and you remember that the most important thing in life is that there's always hope and that no matter how alone you fell , there's never a thing such as complete abandonment.

The acting was good, the camera work was really nice too. A the time loop easy too follow.
Meet Mr. Daddy
Jan 16, 2012
This movie was amazing! You grow to become attached to all of the characters, and the ending is sad but empowering. It's an excellent mix of comedy,realism and an after taste of the darker side of society, tearful moments. A little girl looking for a father she has never known, a petty criminal who never knew he had a daughter, and an orphanage worker dealing with her own pain by helping children. Each finds something they never dreamed of, and fill an emptiness in each other. Filled with odd twists, some heart warming moments and tragedy at a moment of triumph, yet again things are destined to come together do comes together at the end. If you take aside the bittersweet ending, this film can show to anyone who wants to see the goodness in people come out despite having been forgotten it's a really good choice to watch it .The little girl is adorable, with her acting his so real that it makes you tear up even more when come the moment to part. It a good movie for a coming of age, it's well thought, cute, funny and suspenseful, but definitely a tear jerker.

Reply 1997
Sep 24, 2012
I admit that I gave this a 9 when I finished watching it , because well it one a few drama that I watched without fast-forwarding this year. I would not called it a masterpiece either, but I would still say that it was a nicely constructed drama.

Story: Well it's was not the most original story out there, it still kind of revolved around the "time travel" mania that 2012 dramas seems to share, but I personally believe that these writers got it right, because they brought us back in time without the nonsense of physical travel that could cause serious repercussions on the future. It was superposed nicely too that you actually understood what the characters were going through while traveling and reliving your own experiences of the 90's without loosing track of where the character where in the present. And I found that they really nicely kept the who did the lead actress got married up until, the moment we met her husband you can only ask yourself "who did she choose?'

Well the acting was good considering who each and everyone of them had to play, and I found they choice in casting really hilarious considering that one of the lead was actually part of one the boys band that they mentioned.

Music: well the music was really wisely suited to the scenes they accompanied ,and it made the viewers really were aware of what kind of obsession they may have had for themselves if they are also part of the 90's generation.

I would definitely recommend this drama , if you just want to take a nice, simple and funny walk down memory lane.

Rooftop Prince
May 24, 2012
I Would not be all it's a must watch and all but I would not go and say don't go and watch it.

Story : So Before being like some people I know and casting stone at me , for my rating of this drama, I would like to say that my rating are solemnly base on ep 1-3 and 16-20 because I find the beginning really interesting until ep 3 , then I found the story a little redundant, and then I felt that it picked up again at ep 16. The premise for the story is good it's has already been done but the director here and the writers were a little better than what I have already seen of this particular premise.

Acting: I would really like to say that I really liked the way every actor portrayed his or her characters, because all along they made me feel the right reaction toward their characters, I hated the one that were supposed to be hateful and liked the one that were supposes to be like. So if anything need to be applaud in this drama it's the acting.

Music: The music for me got a 10 not because it's was so good ,but because I find that however made the dramas cut , got the music right, they played the right songs at the right places , and the music really suited the story that the drama was telling.

Rewatch: Well I may say that know that I know how it end , I may now go back and really watch it with more attention.

All Out of Love
Dec 4, 2018
I have probably written only two review this year, and both of them were for shows were I deemed that one fanbase simply ruin the drama experience. I truly feel that it is sad when fanbase undermine the hard work that goes into putting a drama or movie together. That being said let me try to objectively review All Out Of Love.

All out of love for me was not a romance drama, yes it was a drama about love but not necessarily romantic love. It was more to me a drama about the different type of love out there, familial ( blood relations), the family we make for ourselves ( non blood relations) and friendships. And the importance we give all those relationship throughout one life.

This drama truth strength got buried beyond unnecessary censorship, meaning lost in translation and unruly fanbase.
Before writing my thoughts on the drama I did a lot of googling to understand the drama backstory and familiarized myself with plot points that when I was watching made no sense to me. And of course to understand the all controversy in regard to the character played by MTY.

So from the get go I want to say that it has been clarify by the author of the book that the character of TY is the main the lead, although when she started writing her books LS was the main, hence why the book title had his name in, and that by the time her novels change gear well her fan base already knew the book by that title and there was no point changing it. So to me the all hate MTY fans were throwing at Wallace just seems quite displaced. Especially when you truly dig into both their respective characters. While Wallace character YT got a lot of character washing by pretty being turned into a one dimensional perfect good guy instead of the multifaceted guy that he supposedly his in a book. After all in the book he is a driven ceo, loyal to a fault to his family while still being a feared and respected underworld boss who cuts LS two fingers out of jealousy. But that is clearly not who we get in the drama, in the drama we get this perfectly saintly guy with a patience and resilience that puts all human to shame, with his only flaw being a out of this world trust for his brother when everyone else can tell his brother it clearly a closeted psychopath. Yet it would be a disservice to Wallace to say that he did not own his character, although one dimensional Wallace's acting gave the character depth, even the choppy editing was not enough to dampen the depth of YT character, it was truly as if we were watching another drama within the drama.
And sadly that is not the same case with LS character, his character got the less cleanup but MTY was not able to bring depth to his character, if you are not a fangirl it was actually hard to be pull into feeling sorry for LS. I'm saying this because I watched the drama with my husband and mother-in-law. And the three of us had pretty opposing views, my husband and I have seen MYT in other dramas , and his acting his usually on par with some and sometimes like this time very underwhelming. This was my mil first encounter with him in such a prominent role and she was not impress. When you watched the drama the most that comes to mind when going through the character of LS is the overwhelming sense of depression. Throughout the drama MTY has this I'm super depressed look on his face even when the emotions he was supposed to convey was one of anger. I do get that there is a lot of grief going around in this drama but there is so many ways to express grief without looking depress the most starling difference is probably seen in the scene where JS tells YT about her abortion, with just his eyes since he has no dialogue you can see YT go from Joy to despair to simply undiluted anger. VS that scene were LS learns that JS and him are not related MTY fell to bring in people to feel is pain right there, when he is going to the most painful realisation of hs life that he can now without restraint go after the woman he love. No what come out at that moment his pretty much a robotic renditions of his line and once that dead in your soul emotion that his been sorting all along. And that is carried through the end where instead of seeing a guys that sacrifice his own happiness for his sister, all we see his a controlling man that choose to isolate himself from his friends and family and live in the past when he realize that he could not control any of them.

And that truly is the feel that we get at the end of this drama that was truly big at sending the vibe that if you decide to let go then you can be happy in life. When you don't learn to let go then life get pathetic for you.

The biggest contrast of love for me was truly between the way LS and YT loved JS. LS wanted to control her and seems quite content to have JS be is emotional sounding board. And he seemed to be content that she was totally and utterly co-dependent on him. While YT approach to loving JS was to let her go. He allowed if not pushed a little hard sometimes for her to make her own decision over the place she should have in his life, She was in control even when it seemed he was making the decision for her.

There is so many examples throughout the drama of the danger of not letting go of your obsession Bei's wife and mistress loose's their minds waiting for him to return to them and both died being insane. Even BWX obsession with JX , even if they try to give it a positive spin at the end with them ended together and waiting for the arrival of their child, we still see that in their desire not to let go he loses arm. And we can pretty much say that his life is quite in shambles while he was holding to his obsession. Then we also see it with Tianen because of hate he not only appears as the psycho, only once he decide to let go does he character actually take a turn were viewers somewhat get interested in his backstory.

I have so many thing to say but I feel like I should turn into an article. So what I'm going to say is that this is a really good drama if you go in focusing on the story and not the fan base. Because yes there is a story being told here, and it's a story of love, growth and forgiveness. My biggest regret is that the story truly suffered from censorship, and the negative connotations it send people with disabilities. There seemed to be an underlying tone that somewhat suggested that people with disability were not capable of love or making others around happy. And that irked me a little. And wow in watching this be ready to see a lot of hospital scene. I'm pretty sure this drama had been sponsor by hospital and apples selling merchant.

I kinda of went on quite a rant here , what I'm saying go watch the drama it 's good don't get swept into the controversies ad make your own opinion.

Secret
Aug 1, 2013
Wow what to say about this movie that no one has already said. I guess nothing to those who loved secret we all agree that this movie was simply beautiful with magically beautiful music.

For one I had never heard of Jay Chou (well that until I check that I had watch one his movie before , see how unaffected I was,) before this but I can say with confidence that he's someone that I will keep on checking, When looking at him perform you can only tell yourself wow the man's brilliant.

But why am I babbling about him only, when there his a movie to talk about. Secret is just a sweet magical note that will take you on for a ride and when you finally think that you have gotten to the bottom of what the true is, BOOM you are sent on an opposite direction.

Secret is a simple romantic movie, with a splash of pang because you get to easily identify with the characters , even thought there's a fantasy twist to it.

So if you just need a easy little romantic movie, then it would be nice to pick up a nice seat and lose yourself in secret. And Well if you are a classical music lover than the better for the music in this movie is just simply perfect.

Sweet Sex and Love
Apr 5, 2012
Story:Well I seriously don't know if there were a story , all I saw were a few dialogue and sex , then more sex and sex again, it was as if they were trying to make a adaptable okay for general audience porn movie that would not shock too much.

Acting: Well they play they part well in the generally, let's bored the public kind of way, and I'm saying this because I have seen dramas and other movies with the two leads, so I can calmly say that yes they pulled it off, they even looked bored when doing there business, it was well boring.

Music: Fits the let's go to sleep motion this movie was going into.

Well I don't much for the rewatch value , maybe if you are extremely bored and that you think that watching porn is too offensive or you want to kind of delusion yourself in the though that you are pure of thought.

Overall it's a somewhat controversial type of movie, that actually breaks the need for a storyline. If you are the type of person who just want to see two person going on with life with no regards what so ever of how the world around them see them, then it for you, and there's also the all not too much dialogue thing. With a little time to myself I did realize that this movies was not really has boring or bad that it may have seem because at the end of the day you realize that It's kind of mind blowing the way they try to portrait to a fault the deterioration of love among average people and it's kind of crazy that what we see in the movie can be apply to any society today, the sex is real, the characters are maybe a little too bronze but then again they have to be to remind us that this is still a movie. At the end of the movie a man would have to be really stupid to not to develop some notions of respect, especially for himself. And I can say that in some twisted level women will find a reaffirmation of false stereotypical lofty ideas about themselves and perhaps even be swayed into emulating them. All those failings of ordinary beings apart, the movie is a tremendously accurate rendition of modern day sex and love. There is no pain more sapping than the loss of excitement and respect for someone with whom you thought you had the most exclusively beautiful thing going on in the world. Watching the credits at the end can be a painful experience for anyone who has been through a relationship like this. The woman is extremely kind and fake when she tells him they're both alike. The intensity of the fornication may beguile you initially but in the later half the movie it's explores more with a platonic brutality the effects of expectation when two people are mismatch. The form this incompatibility takes will wipe out the remotest semblance of eroticism experienced in the first half for almost all women and the men who've cared to nurture a holistic view of their desire and its implementation. It's kind of a wake up call that actually make you pose and open your eyes to the reality of were our modern society is taking us.

Because of You
Apr 13, 2019
What to say as much as I enjoyed the fluff between the main lead and the adorableness of Le Tong. This drama just had way too many happenings that didn’t sit well with me, bad deed went unanswered for way too long and no one truly got any retribution. I guess diehard fan may argue that some cosmic retribution were distributed, but personally I didn’t not feel that it was enough. And I have also rarely skipped watched a drama the way I did this. They had a really good premise that was poorly executed. The female lead didn’t shine unless the male lead was present ( because they presented the only enjoyable fluffiness. ) The rest of the time she was just nothing more than a doormat to the point that as a viewer I lost the will to root and empathize with her. And man I got to say that Xi Yun portrayer truly owned her role and made the vilain so detestable that there was not even a ounce of pity left for her. These drama is for those with extreme patience and a high tolerance for BS. Even if it is fiction I believe that a certain amount of torability is needed and that stringing the audience along for so long without even little victories along the way is truly cruel and unusual punishment.

Singing All Along
Jul 9, 2018
My review is probably not going to be of help to anyone, but I just felt the pulsion to let this impression somewhere.

What can I say about Singing Along that would do this drama justice, probably nothing. I had this drama on y plan to watch for the last 3 years and every year I kept starting episode one and then putting back on hold. But to quench my thirst of waiting for Legend of Fuyao I picked this drama up again. And man that was the best decision I ever had. I binge watch this drama from all of Friday to now without sleep. Why you may ask well because it had been a long time since I had been so invested in characters struggles and victories.
Yin Li Hua and Lui Wenshu truly deserved their titles of beloved pair. But the beauty of this drama doesn't simply lay in the romance that will surely make you wish you had something similar. But the love and camaderies between family and friends is one of the reason this drama stand so tall. Your heart will break at the reality of war that is portrayed here. I have nothing but praise for the all cast. The lead truly lead and the supporting cast truly supported. Like I say I just need needed to give my two cents on this drama. I going to go to try to collect myself back and mourn the end of this drama and all the tears that I shed then I will go to bed.