Sarah
Jul 28, 2015
I was so excited for this drama. With actors like Sung Joon and Uee I thought nothing could go wrong. But, a lot went wrong.

It was a story bogged down by a messy predictable script and two lead actors with about as much chemistry as a goldfish and a tree. Throughout the first eleven episodes, we see little no character development in either of the lead actors, and then are left read more with so much sudden character development in the next five that it's completely ridiculous.

Though, had the story a fast enough pace and a more well rounded script the show wouldn't have been such a bore. Had they cut out all the needless parts and really gotten to it sooner, the later character development and the development of emotions would've made a whole life more sense, as we'd have had more time to see these changes. Instead, the ending was rushed and messy, and also somehow boring and skippable. This series was eleven episodes of utter waste, and five episodes of trying to make it all make sense.

The one and only redeeming quality of this series, was the second lead couple. Ji Yi was smart, down to earth, and willing to work hard, and Chang Soo was fun and cute. Together they were honestly the best part of the show, I often skipped to their parts. Their chemistry was off the walls and their romance oddly believable. I would've much rather watched an entire series about them doing cute couple things and arguing than having to watch the cringe worthy romance between the main leads.
DreamingKoreanBallad
Jul 29, 2015
I enjoyed it, or should I say "some" of it lol, I skipped all the "elderly" scenes, and basically watched the rest. I think It's a decent one-time-watch - just for the second leads.

Cast: Uee & Sung Joon were a very very boring and uninteresting couple with zero chemistry. Everything felt so stale and "fake" between them. Their "love" wasn't believable - even to the last episode. I don't know if read more it had something to do with the writer, the directing, the actors themselves or the characters they were trying to portray - but it didn't work... On the other hand, Park Hyung Shik & Im Ji Yeon had amazing chemistry and their scenes together were always adorably cute^^ - I stuck with this drama just for them <3 Chang Soo (PHS) was funny, realistic, Hot and very very charismatic ;D I loved his style (hair, clothes & personality) <He had a great role. Ji Yi (IJY) was also funny, down to earth, adorably cute - she's like no other female drama lead I've ever encountered before - It's no wonder our Chang Soo falls for her ;) She makes you wonder how her brain works - she amazed me with her responses to people time and time again. I was speechless at her unconventional ways of relating to people. *Best couple award should go to them*

Music: I personally loved the OST - Train "Just a Memory" (Played once during a bicycle race between Sung Joon & Hyung Shik), Jung Yup "Dazzling Day", Kim Joo Na "I Can't Live Without You", Acoustic Collabo "Don't Do That", Park Hyung Shik "You're My Only Love", Maximilian Hecker "Summer Days In Bloom" - I absolutely loved each and every song ^-^

I won't re-watch this drama entirely - But I would definitely re-watch any and all scenes with Chang Soo & Ji Yi^^ & I will listen to the OST for a long time to come ;)

I think it's good to watch at least once - and if anything - skip-watching may be best :) I'm glad I watched it for Chang Soo & Ji Yi and the OST - so I'm satisfied & I liked the ending ;)
venni
Aug 5, 2015
High Society is a pretty conservative and unsurprising drama, but it has solid acting and good character chemistry. I recommend it to anyone who likes their dramas with oodles of romance and chaebols. I do not recommend it to people who are tired of the "rich man / poor girl" setting.

Story: 7.5
As I said there are no surprises, but the story folds out well from beginning to end with a read more good pacing, it ends when it needs to end and things are not dragged out. The characters are also quite nicely fleshed out and you get a lot deeper into their psyche than in average dramas.

Acting/Cast: 8.5
The acting was the best part of this drama. I personally love the female lead (Uee) and although her character is written as quite one dimensional, she brings that character to life and makes you care about her. The male lead (Sung Joon) feels very bland, but I guess that is what his character is like. I wish he had been allowed to give the character more... balls. The second couple of the drama (Park Hyung Shik & Im Ji Yeon) almost stole the show. I personally disliked the female character at times (too SWEET), but in the end I actually cared more about them than the main couple.

Music: 6.0
I actually can't remember any of the songs in the OST. That is a bad and a good thing. Obviously the music did not bother me, but if I can't remember a single song it means nothing was memorable.

Rewatch Value: 5.0
I enjoyed watching this drama, but I feel I will never watch it again. There were some really cheesy, romantic moments I might want to relive, but I won't be watching the entire show again.

Overall: 7.0
I would have scored this drama a lot higher if it had something SPECIAL. For me "7" means that it's an enjoyable drama that you do not regret watching, but you will soon forget it.
Titeeth
Aug 8, 2015
Ok, since I LOVED this drama so much, I decided to wait a week or two before posting my review, so that it would probably be more exact about my feelings BUT...

****THIS DRAMA IS AWESOME****

WAS EXPECTING:
I rally thought this drama would neeever suit my taste! I was expecting a childish and stupidly already done concept, which is not. Even the role of the &quot;evil mother&quot; is different and kind read more of touching. There are not so much &quot;clichés&quot; as we could have feared.

LIKED :
Thruthfully speaking, I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end. First of all, thanks to the acting. I've never been a big fan of Uee and usually only crossing her face in a drama made me annoyed BUT I have to admit how her acting and Sung Joon's are DRAMATICALLY aweome. Their couple is soft and hard, it's yelling and whispering. I really liked everything that happened between them and it turned out they were really HUMANS and had feelings that I could have felt myself if it happened to me in real life.

As for the other couple, Park Hyung Shik and Im Ji Yeon are just so sweet and lovely. OMG they made me cry so much. I usually get annoyed really easily by this kind of lovey dovey couple, but they're nooot ^^ Can't do anything but love them yay!

TO DO:
Go watch this drama if your needy in terms of feeling and cliffhengers. It's an amazing one.
sai-fy
Feb 8, 2016
I had such high expectations for this show, and it astonishes me how badly they managed to fuck this show up. It started off so good, with some real potential (for like, the first 5 episodes), and then it just spiraled downwards into a complete disaster.

The plot. I don't know where to begin. It was just so mundane, boring, average, all the other synonyms. The love stories were just... terrible. I read more mean, honestly. I feel like they picked cliches out of a hat and squeezed it into one show: rich person x poor person, arrogance x naivety, etc. I liked where they were going with the 'love isn't all pure and clean' thing, but it was just so poorly executed. Some of the main problems presented in this show were so absolutely petty, and overall the show was just a dragging mess. This show could have been 10 episodes, and you wouldn't have missed anything. I wish they had gone more in depth with the side characters, because the ending only presented solutions and happy endings for the leads and the side characters' stories' were left unfinished. Not to mention the 'happy ending' was super cringe worthy. Basically, this show could've been so good, but everything that could've gone wrong went wrong.

With actors like Uee and Sung Joon, I expected fireworks and excitement. All I got was cringe worth glances and little to no chemistry. Seriously. Considering that the show was irritatingly romance focused, the romance was barely there! The second leads had more chemistry, but their story was too basic and boring. I feel like they combined two boring couples and expected something great, but boring + boring = more boring. I'm surprised that I finished this show, to be honest, because nothing. NOTHING. Appealed to me.

The music was the one good point for me, because it was light and upbeat and I really liked it. But that's not enough to make up for all the other flaws.

Considering that I was yawning through the first time watching it, I definitely will not be rewatching this drama.

Overall, it was just boring and average. I mean, it wasn't total crap - I sat it out and finished it - but it was pretty darn close. I still don't understand how the romance wasn't present with such an attractive cast.
_queennvee
Aug 14, 2015
First off, I watched this for Sung Joon and UEE.
I’m a fan of UEE (even though truthfully, I really haven’t seen most of her dramas) and also a big fan of Sung Joon but I think I finished this because of Park Hyungsik and Lim Jiyeon’s characters. I will complain about a lot of stuff but I did finish the drama and actually liked the ending. The process to the end read more was a bit annoying to deal with but all is good and it was a nice drama.

Note: From here on, I will be using their character names instead of the actor’s names.

Story: 6/10
I don’t think I’m too fond of watching shows about chaebol families. There’s just too much drama and bloodshed going on. (LOL) Although I don’t often watch them, I can say that this is one of your typical rich family dramas. One character is insanely rich and another is poor and they fight for their love despite their status blah blah blah. I really didn’t like the story of this either. There were just too many plot twists and all. The main story with Yoon Ha and Joon Ki was confusing. It’s like it needed saving and more problems just came up. However, I did love the side of the story with Changsoo and Ji Yi. The start of the relationship was a bit cliché (but who’s kidding, almost the entire drama is cliché) but I felt the happiness, the sadness, the hurt, and all the emotions with it. It was confusing and whole jumble of problems but as the story ended and everything is becoming resolved, I felt like it was a really good closure for the people watching.

To read more, please go to this link: http://vee-vibe.tumblr.com/post/126646544987/drama-review-high-society

Follow blog for more drama reviews.
Yuna
Jul 29, 2015
When I first heard the plot of his drama I was like: 'Chaebol? ... Not again.' But then I thought this drama could be different from other dramas with chaebols as the main characters.

I liked the Story of a rich daughter who wants to live like 'normal' people and falls in love with a Man who is from a poor background. It wasn't perfect for me, but it is okay. read more I liked it, so it get 9 of 10 points.

Acting:
I watched UEE in Dramas like Ojakgyo Brothers and Golden Rainbow, in which she acted very well. Honestly, in my opinion this Acting wasn't her best. I liked her more in Ojakgyo Brothers and in Golden Rainbow. Furthermore, she and Sung Joon didn't have a good chemistry. At the Beginning of the Drama I liked the Acting from the four Main Actors, but then...UEE disappointed me. Sung Joon acted very well. I watched him in Lie to me (*-* he was so cool) and in Hyde, Jekyll, me (I didn't like his role, but his acting was awesome *-*). In High Society he acted as the best friend of Park Hyungsik and a man who comes from a poor family. Park Hyungsik (who I like since What happened with my Family?) played a chaebols son who is a playboy. But I think he played the role well. I was not sure, if he could play a role like this after his role in What happened with my family, but he was very good. Im Jiyeon (a newcomer actress) played the colleague and best friend of UEE. ... Wow. I didn't know this was her first ever main role in a drama (her first role EVER in a drama). She was so awesome and sometimes I hoped UEE would act like her v.v.

The OST was good and the Music at the end of each episode I like.

Rewatch Value:
When I watch this drama again, then for Sung Joon and Im Jiyeon, but not for UEE. But I think I won't watch this again in the near future.

If you like the Actors and Actresses, I woul recommend this drama to you, but it isn't a Must watch.
hristiyana
Jul 28, 2015
I had high hopes for this drama to be honest because of the cast but I really didn't like it at all.

The story wasn't that great, nothing new. Every episode was almost the same- same scandals, same problems. The only surprise was with Yoon Ha's brother but nothing more. I think that Uee wasn't right for this role, she didn't fit at all but maybe this is how I saw it. read more Park Hyung Shik and Im Ji Yeon were the reason to continue this drama but even their story was made too sad than it's supposed to be. They had chemistry unlike Uee and Sung Joon.
The final was rushed and everything happened so fast.
Nanotao
Feb 23, 2016
This is a drama with some too great characters for such a ridiculously bad drama.

The best is Ji Yi, the most surprising and fresh character here. How smart, understanding and open-hearted she is, the way she reacts to others attitude... can somehow influence your own mind. I dont like the acrtess's (Im Ji Yeon) look and acting at all, but I love the character and only it. She is a poor read more peson who'd never do bad things to become rich, but she's really different from similar characters of other dramas.

Second favorite is Chang Soo, a rich guy with beautiful heart and handsome look. Of course he fell in love with the personality of Ji Yi, everyone falls for her, even his arrogant richy mother did. He turned to be a very sensitive and sensual guy. He is a rich guy who can not give up his status, money and family just because of love,but instead he convince the high society to love his lover too!
Park Hyung Shik was the best at acting here, for me, he expressed the feelings so freakingly good.

I liked Yoon Ha and Joon Ki too. Just these characters seem not written good enough. I even liked Uee here, though I never liked her before.

Yoon Ha is my third favorite here. A rich girl who doesn't want to live in the high society world and believes in pure love.

JoonKi is a raw character. He is a poor guy who wants to be a part of high society no matter what, but still has kind heart.
Sung Joon is the actor who I don't like any role of and I don't know if he is A good or bad actor, but I'm attracted to his personality... I don't know how it happened, I think the reason is that his facial expessions are lively, he is not the robot kind of face.

I litirary skipped ALL the scenes with other characters. (One exception is the scenes of Joonki's mother with Yoonha or JoonKi.) So actually I watched only about halves or less of every episode. I hate that spoiled high society arrogant stupid talkes and cliches. It is just disguisting.

That's it)
isuzusan
Jul 29, 2015
This drama was so good at first, but then it just got worse. There were too many family problems and issues and not enough time for the main characters to properly develop. The only thing that actually made the drama worth watching was Chang Soo and Ji Yi's relationship, but once Chang Soo's mother started getting involved, that gradually started getting annoying as well. Park Hyung Sik's hair, handsome face and acting read more skills are the only reason anyone should watch this drama properly.

When I first read the summary of the story, it sounded very interesting and felt like a nice change from most chaebol dramas. However, the drama did not stick to the summary for very long. Yoon Ha quit hiding her background and her part-time job before we had even reached the half way point of the drama. Anyway, the story was alright at some points, especially when Yoon Ha joined the Taejin company. If the writers didn't focus so much on the parents and siblings of Yoon Ha and Chang Soo and their issues, High Society could have been a really good drama for anyone to watch.

Oh God, this cast was awful in lots of areas. Park Hyung Sik was the only actor that did a good job throughout the drama, and I can't be biased on his part because this drama was the first time I'd heard of him. Not only is he extremely good looking, his acting skills are superb. During the scene where he was crying for Ji Yi and saying that he didn't like her, he loved her, that felt extremely genuine and I couldn't help tearing up myself. Plus, his hair is extremely fluffy and I love it. Anyway, Uee and Im Ji Yeon did do well in some parts of the drama, but they also failed a lot as well. Uee's acting felt fake during the first half of the drama, but when she broke up with Joon Gi and turned extremely badass, I started to really like her acting skills then. For Ji Yeon, it was the exact opposite. She was good during the first half, but turned fake during the latter half. And lastly, Sung Joon. I wasn't expecting much from him because he didn't do very well in his role of Yoon Tae Joo in Hyde, Jekyll, Me, but his acting hasn't improved whatsoever. He is very handsome, but that's the only thing going for him.

The music was pretty much the only decent thing in this drama. I especially love Hyung Sik's recent release of You're My Love for the High Society soundtrack. It was only played during the last two episodes, but it fitted in really well with the scenes that were being acted out, and since I had listened to it so many times before actually watching Episodes 15 and 16, I was mouthing along with the words. It's not Hyung Sik's usual sort of music, but it was still very beautiful and touching.

There is not much chance in hell that I would watch High Society again. I would only go back for Park Hyung Sik and the music, but that's not enough to convince me to go through a whole 16 hours of pointless chaebol stupidity and annoyance.

Overall, there is a lot of stuff that could do with improving in this drama. Firstly, the writers would pretty much need to rewrite the whole story to include less family problems and more of the actual character development. The director and staff would need to pick an almost entirely new set of actors to play the parts as most of them did not play their parts well enough. And lastly, they just need to make the entire drama more enjoyable. High Society was so hyped because of the amazing cast, but pretty much everyone was let down by the lack of drama.
Hyuna
Honestly I dropped this drama at first but then continued watching it and the only thing I have to say about it is that the only interesting scenes (at least for me) were the ones with Chang Soo and Ji Yi. The rest of the drama was boring and uninteresting, the romance of the main couple was lacking and the story line was super messy. Overall an okay drama but I'd skip read more most of it and only watch the romance between Chang Soo and Ji Yi.
Nora
I had my ups and downs with thjs drama that I had to put it aside for a while in order to be able to finish it. I gotta be honest, it's kind of nothing special or new or maybe I just think that. But I really liked the actors especially the second leads. Park Hyungsik is a really talented actor and I hope he gets more recognition cause he deserves it. read more At first I kinda hated the first leads cause I just didn't feel the chemistry, there was none! But with the progress of the drama I started slightly feeling it, it wasn't great but it worked. As for the whole family dramas, I got really bored watching them thay sometimes I had the urge to skip those parts all together but I lived through them! To sum it up, I mainly watched because of the second leads to be honest cause they were just really cute and I loved them together. And to end this, I can honestly say that it wasn't bad but don't have high expectations either cause it's just not that kind of drama and my rating is actually because of the second leads cause if it weren't for them, this would have been a floop!
High Society
Watch Trailer

Alternative Titles

• Native title:

상류사회
  • Also Known as:

Chaebol's Daughter; Chaebolui Ddal; 재벌의 딸; Sangryusawhe; True Romance; The Privileged;

• Country:

SBS
  • Duration:

60 min.

• Score:

7.3 (scored by 4,695 users)
  • Ranked: