manicmuse
Mar 15, 2017
Introverted Boss was a hard drama for me to like at first. This is one of those dramas that requires you to trust it will get better, and in my opinion it definitely did. Now that it's over, I can say that this is definitely a binge type drama, because if I had to wait days for the next episode I would have given up on this drama after episode 2. Halfway read more through I went from hating it to being totally invested. If you are unaware, like I was, that's because there was a major rewrite of the plot, and that strategy made all the difference. So about that plot...

I gave the story a decent score, only because I think the transformation was pretty impressive, but it was still imperfect in a lot of ways. My first problem with the story was that it didn't know whether it wanted to be a romantic comedy or a melodrama. The main plot revealed a very mysterious and serious backstory, then went into these weird slapstick comedy scenes that just didn't work together. One moment there is a revenge story brewing, then the next moment we are supposed to care about a CEO's anxiety issues, and the obviously planned romance between him and an obnoxious new hire. Add to that the fact that the CEO is too mysterious to be sympathetic, and The leading lady is the most annoying person on planet earth. The only thing that got me through in the beginning were the "Another Miss Oh" cameos, but I listened to viewers who said the story gets better after episode 5. In my opinion things don't start falling into place until episode 7, and that's when I knew I would probably become a fan.

The writers do a great job of justifying the previous bad episodes while completely changing the drama into something more enjoyable. Still, even with the fixes to make it better, the flaw is in how bad the story premise is in the first place. In order to like this drama you can't dwell on how unrealistic the major event of the story is, and instead you have to just go along with the characters on this journey. The characters, and their rewrites, are what made me become a fan.

I eventually adored Yeon Woo Jin as Hwan Ki. This is, in my opinion, his best role so far. Maybe it's the fact that I relate to his shy/socially anxious character a lot, and I thought they did a good job of showing what it's like in a neurotic anxiety filled brain. I was truly impressed by how believable he was, and relatable, and empathetic, and totally unlike the ways I've seen him before. Some people may think it's too exaggerated, but I don't. I also relate to being thought of as scary and intimidating while I'm just sitting and thinking about something to myself. When it comes to his character, I think they nailed it.

He is matched with Park Hye Soo, who's character I initially hated so much that in one scene she actually gets slapped, and I wanted to applaud. She was too pushy, too obnoxious, completely self involved, and not likable in the least. I'm sure the initial point was to create an opposites attract scenario, but they left her with no redeeming qualities, which made me think that the actress was just too young and out of his league. Eventually the rewrite calmed her down, made her more charming and less annoying, and that's when I realized that Hye Soo is really quite talented. I did end up liking them together, and rooting for them to succeed, in spite of the plot making that pretty hard to do. I started to actually see chemistry between them, and although they may not be among my favorite romance duos, I thought they worked well together. Many of their romantic scenes together made me smile, and there were no closed mouth lips barely touching kiss scenes either.

My favorite amongst the rest of the cast was the silent monster staff. Once we were able to get to know their stories the office scenes became fun to watch. Their characters are comedically over the top, but still felt real and relatable. I just get excited seeing Ye Ji Won in anything now, but Heo Jeong Min was hilarious too... And I just rewatched "Another Miss Oh". My next favorite is Jang Hee Jin as Hwan Ki's first love, who was refreshingly different from what's often expected from that kind of role, and made that aspect of the story more entertaining.

The problem with Yoon Park as Kang Woo Il and Gong Seung Yeon as Yi Soo is that even with the rewrites they were still stuck in a melodrama storyline that made no sense to me, so it was impossible for them to not come across as extremely overdramatic at times. They did their best, but I cringed when that storyline would reappear. Writers did make both characters sympathetic, and saved them from becoming 2 dimensional, but their actions remained unbelievable to me, so I just preferred when they were not a major part of the story. Then there's also Lee Kyu Han who plays the ultimate buzzkill. His backstory is eventually explained too, but he kinda just pops out of nowhere at seemingly random times in the story, making it seem like he was only created to be a problem.

If I ever watched this again it would be strictly for Yeon Woo Jin. I had a slight feeling of missing the cast when it was over, but really it's just his character that I am going to miss. I really related so much to him that I just may rewatch it someday... or maybe just clips.

About the music... There are 2 songs form the soundtrack that stood out to me, so in my opinion it was better than ok, but not much better.

Obviously I am biased against the melodramatic storyline, and more a fan of the shy boss rom com storyline, which I think saved this drama from being a major flop. Still, every aspect of the story is explained, and reexplained, and the writers seemed thorough about avoiding loose ends to the very end, which i appreciated. So yes, all questions get answered, even if the answers are hard to swallow. Also, even though some of the last episode seemed like filler, I loved the last moment, and thought it was a great way to end the story... a story who's major theme throughout is being able to express how you feel!

Overall I would recommend this drama for fans of unconventional rom coms with the warning that this story takes a loooooooooooong time to build. If you can sit through the first few episodes filled with annoying characters, misunderstandings, and over the top melodrama, you eventually get to a good story about becoming comfortable with who you are, your own style of being, and expressing how you feel, with a sweet but difficult love story as a bonus.
94loveKdrama
Mar 15, 2017
When one is difficult in expressing oneself, what it would be like? Misunderstood? This drama focuses on that expect. Gives lesson in life that sometime all we need is a listener. The story is really good and it isn't that bad like others used to say. A kind of drama that would make you say.. Glad I did start it. It's cute, fun to watch, some drama scenes with plot-twist

The read more start was ok to me, some scenes were quite bothersome from few first ep but it did change you know! The story start to pick up from ep6 and it will get better and better.

bonus: It will take you back to Another Miss Oh feels if you ever did watched that drama. :)

Characters:
Each character has its own story and struggles. That's what I like about it. How one's grow and conquered their fear/insecurity/depression/weakness. The characters was like I started from here and look at me now.

Hwan Gi: this guy is so easy to love, sweet, gentle, kind and considerate... xD every awkward moments with him is so cute. You'll find yourself cheering for him in every step of the way. He'll also make you proud, I am so confident about it!~ plus there's a bonus, look forward to his dance moves.

Chae Ro Woon: yeah this girl is not easy to like, she could get all the hate, annoying and bothersome well she did all those because she's in a revenge mode but her character will have some development just wait and see.

Ji Hye: this character would make curious and say why? No matter what's the decision she made/ the reason behind it no one should judge a person lowly.

Kang Woo: The guy I used to misunderstood about his relationship with Hwan Gi but I was wrong about him. He is the character I want to improve the most/open-up along with Yi-Soo

Yi Soo: I find her role pretty dull from the start but surprisingly there's more color into her.
Yun Jung: my fav character. You'll like her for sure with her straight forward/honest/mature personality.
Silent Monster Team:were all good. my fav from the group is Sun Bong.
Even it was short I love the bromance and the tandem of Kang Woo and Yi Soo.

Actor/Actress
Shout out to Gong Seung Yeon for portraying her role effectively, such a good actress, I was totally immersed with her, I cried. Also to Yoon Park unlike his usual role as someone who is calm, serious in here he was different and I like it. He gets drunk, shouts, play, a free kind of character, a new side of him that I didn't see in his other drama.
As to Yeo Woo Jin I love his role here the most compared to his other dramas
Park Hye Soo there are times that I see her like a kid but it's ok she manages to act well.

OST: I like the ost and music, thanks to it I always keep up with the phase of the story as to emotions, didn't get bored because of it.

Overall:
Meter feels as to fangirl is sometimes up sometimes or just straight line. My excitement and overflowing feels disappeared along the way maybe because I start a new drama but despite that everytime I watch a new ep I still like it. A good romcom.

Recommendation: Oh yes to those who are into romcom you could enjoy this drama especially to the one who are shy/introverted/difficult expressing oneself I think you could relate over it.

Just don't overanalyze it like the others who use to complain with the title because they think the guy is isn't introverted at all instead with an anxiety attack.lol.
WangMaLu
Mar 18, 2017
When I first saw the news that this was gonna happen, I got excited on the strength of the leads and the potential wacky story scenarios. Boy, was I disappointed on both counts.

To say that the main plot was far-fetched is being kind. Suspension of disbelief is warranted for the main characteristic of Hwan Ki's character, since that's the hook of the show, but to have this entire scheme to read more uncover a mystery from left field that left me thinking: "uh... this is not the fun and wacky drama I thought I'd be seeing...", having this was unnerving. The way the protagonist was written had me frustrated. The way that the female lead was acting (from the script, not her actual acting) was irritating. The growth in all of the characters, including the silent monster staff, all came abruptly without minor changes in their behavior could not be noticed. It's as if on cue, they changed their behavior because it was already episode 6, and by episode 7, they should be acting in a certain way towards each other.

The pacing was excruciatingly slow in the beginning, became rapid fire fast in the middle and then slowed down when you were expecting the climax.

I can see how the writers might think that the way the story was written was clever in their minds, but since this is not a sci-fi drama, I can't bring myself to buy the contrived plot and the forced character changes in the middle. Granted a re-write was done to make the female lead more appealing, it wasn't sustained in the succeeding episodes. And speaking of the female lead...

Acting/Cast:
I feel bad for Park Hye Soo. She was given a material that she couldn't execute better. If a different actress was in the role, they could've brought out more from the character. I loved Hye Soo in age of youth, and I felt that her character there was closer to how she normally is, seeing as she was more likeable and believable in that role. For this drama, though, I couldn't believe how easily her motivations changed. She needs more seasoning in her acting chops, and her acting was a major reason why this drama was a disappointment in my eye.

Yeon Woo Jin acted fairly well, and gave the best performance he can, with the script that he's given. He's had better performances, with "Marriage, Not Dating" being his best one so far.

Several supporting actors actually came from the previous drama that the PD worked on, which was superior in every way, "Another Oh Hae Young." The Silent Monster crew was charming in their own way and damned entertaining. As usual, Ye Ji Won and Heo Jeong Min gave brilliant performances as supporting actors. Both were very funny and entertaining as usual, but the limitations of the script and story prevented us from seeing more and enjoying what they can potentially do, given a better script.

The music was very appropriate, and you can feel how each track was selected to coincide with the mood of the scene/s. But since they used and re-used around 4-5 tracks, it became formulaic. It's as if the drama is telling us: "It's time to laugh.... now, it's time to feel sad..." I understand that this is normal in any show that features sequential story-telling, but because of the really bad script, which in turn translated to less-than-stellar acting, the music just brought me out of the story. Rather than helping accentuate the scenes, and feel the mood based on the scene and the acting, my attention focused on the music. Normally, the scenes and acting are enough for me to feel, know and understand what's happening, with the soundtrack adding that icing on top. Instead, I hear the music, and I'm forced to pay attention to the scene to get the appropriate mood that was supposed to happen. That is an indication of bad story-telling.

ReWatch Value:
There are dramas I like that I rewatched the entire thing, and these are mostly the most exceptional ones that entertained me throughout the run, like "You From Another Star." Then there are some dramas that I just re-watch certain scenes with the lead actors in them, to re-create the feel of the show, without being bogged down by the entire story. This happened to me for "You're the Best, Lee Soon Shin." Lastly, there are dramas that I'd rather not see ever again. THIS DRAMA, created a fourth category for me. The only scenes that I re-watched, were the scenes wherein Han Chae Ah (Chae Ji Hye [Ro Woon's older sister]) were in them. That was how unbearable the female lead's acting was. I enjoyed the chemistry and interactions and the presence (she looked so much prettier) that a DEAD CHARACTER had, more than the female lead.

Over-all:
Over-all, it's like High School for me. I enjoyed half of it, I slept through the rest just to get through each day. I'm glad I saw the drama because I really liked the actors, but I was happier that it has ended because that way, my frustrations ended along with it. IMHO, the female lead was miscast, and the story structure, plot and re-writes made it a big jumbled mess. I've never written a review before because I tend to be satisfied with most dramas I watch, but this one prompted me to hit the keyboard because of how mind-numbingly frustrating this had been for me. You know it's bad when you'd rather watch the story of the dead plot device Unnie, rather than the actual female lead's story.
KarolineAskeroed
Mar 21, 2017
This is a drama that I’ve had my eyes on for a while, when I first heard of it, I thought it would be something like Lucky romance, and in a way, it is. I was really surprised by the first scene in this drama though.

When I started this drama, I was expecting it to be a light romantic-comedy, but the first thing that happens in this drama, I think I read more can say this, is that someone kills themselves. I understood it after I kept watching it but I did not expect that.

As the story goes on I noticed myself finding it harder to watch, by the end of the drama I felt like I was forcing my way through it. I had already seen 14 episodes so I thought that there was no point in dropping the drama now with only 2 episodes left, but I’m dropping t halfway through episode 15, I just can’t seem to get through the last two episode. I don’t know if I started watching it with to high expectations or if it’s just not that good. One thing is for sure though. If someone asked me whether they should watch “Lucky romance” or “Introverted boss” I would 100% for sure say “Lucky romance”.

All in all, an okey drama, it's not bad but it wouldn't be the first drama i'd reccomend if someone asked me to reccomend a rom-com.
Charming92
Mar 15, 2017
It should be noted firstly that I am not the biggest rom-com fan, secondly that I usually refrain from writing reviews for dramas I didn’t like –one man’s trash is another man’s treasure- while, for the most part, I drop dramas I see myself rating lower than 6. All that being said, Introverted Boss somehow is the exception to my rules.

Introverted boss is the story of a girl whose sister died read more a tragic death and now wants to take revenge on those who wronged her making her commit suicide. To her surprise, she finds herself caring eventually for the person she was originally set out to destroy. The drama is an aspiring melo comedy romance set in a business PR company centering around 2 polar opposite characters, an introvert and an extrovert. Sounds pretty watchable doesn’t it? Well, I had so many issues with Introverted Boss that I somehow believe they wouldn't bother me but at the end, I’m so infuriated by them they need to be phrased.

However benevolent the show’s meaning is, essentially expressing that everyone should be accepted and we should not judge others merely based on their looks, as a whole the drama just didn’t work. Trying to piece everything together I think I can pinpoint what went wrong. Overall it seems that the drama didn’t know how to draw a line between serious situations and comedy therefore ridiculing things in a bad way.

First and foremost, although I enjoyed how complicated the story was and how (unnecessarily) interconnected the characters were, the backstory which is the base of the whole thing is the weakest backstory I’ve ever witnessed in the almost 100 dramas I’ve watched thus far. The whole thing relies on a girl committing suicide. It’s the first scene of the drama, the driving plot device. It then continues developing this into a mystery “what happened to that girl, why” ect; it is only logical I’d expect an exceptional backstory there to wow me since kdramas specialize in such.

To my disappointment the reasons the girl commits suicide were utter garbage. Not only unimaginably exaggerated, but also utterly stupid – weak writing is the main fault of the drama and I cannot forgive it. However, what made me really angry was that as a plotline it puts women in such, such a bad, naïve, gullible, stupid, weak spot that made me sick to my stomach! Suicide is not a plotline to play with. Either do it right or don’t do it at all. Making a woman commit suicide in 2017 because of… men basically, just feels wrong, doesn’t it?

Moreover, to top it all off, during the last episodes they pulled a complete 180 on those already severely stupid reasons and made it even worse! Was that their idea of a plot twist? The “twist” pretty much disregarded everything that had happened up to that point, and made the backstory not only disappointing but also completely laughable.

Continuing the drama apparently has a thing against women in general, or at least this is my take. I never have a problem with bitchy 2nd female leads, I rather enjoy watching them spiral. However what was that here? The 2nd female lead isn’t bitchy, she is mental. I’ve never witnessed, EVER, such a weak, penis-slave female character before. This the best way I can describe her. I seriously don’t want to even think that in 2017 there are women that act like that, let alone 20something girls who are as excessively beautiful as this young woman here.

Are we really going to accept tv shows that put women in such a bad light nowadays, or even sympathize with one? No, if a bastard doesn’t want you, you don’t forgive his sleeping around and neglecting you because “you can’t live without him”, you kick him in the nuts, you do a hair flip and you move on! This is not the 1800s! Unacceptable writing!

What’s more, another thing that seriously bothered me was the misuse of the terms “introvert” and “extrovert”.

Introverts aren’t people who hide in black hoodies, can barely talk to others, never leave their houses and don’t have any friends acting like creeps. What is this? So an introvert has no fashion sense and only wears black hoodies to cover his face, not being able to cater for himself. He can’t strike a normal conversation with a person to save his life and he overthinks to the point he hurts himself. As I said, over-exaggeration killed this drama.

Somehow this was supposed to be funny but it wasn’t! I agree introverts have difficulty in socializing, but there is a huge difference between an introvert and an anti-social person, which is what the male lead in this drama is.

In the same sense, an extrovert isn’t a crazy person who screams and violates people’s proximity levels. Over-exaggeration made me role my eyes so hard, they were stuck at the back of my head.

Since I mentioned the extrovert part, the female lead, let’s talk about that. Yes, the female lead was awfully annoying in the first 3-4 episodes, but during those episodes the drama had something different to offer, it was somehow original. I was actually enjoying her quirky character giving a unique vibe to the drama. Not every female lead needs to be nice and innocent so as to eventually “change” the male lead. So boring and unreal! After the script changes, yes she became conventional and likeable but also super boring, and along with her the drama reduced itself to a very, very classic and boring rom-com.

Additionally, I would like to mention what was a failed romance for me. No one in this drama had chemistry with one another. Park Hye Soo and Yeon Woo Jin seemed to be having fun in their scenes, but I won’t ship 2 people who just look good together. Everything felt too forced to go down a romantic lane making their scenes cute but also non-inspiring and boring.

Furthermore, broadening my rant to the supporting characters, I’ve never witnessed such uninspired, superficial and machine-like secondary characters. They all had nothing to offer other than comedy which, on the whole, fell completely short in my eyes. I was mainly annoyed at the misuse of Ye Ji Won who is just too good to be treated like that.

All this in combination with the thoroughly tedious and long episodes contributed to the drama’s complete failure. I could have overlooked everything to be honest if it wasn’t for the exceptionally weak backstory. I know this is a drama and i should just relax and enjoy, but when they put serious plot lines and issues in the middle like suicide and emotional abuse, there are lines that should be respected. Not everything can be comedy!

As far as the acting is concerned all the actors did a good enough job but I think all of them were miscasted.

Park Hye Soo was borderline unpleasant to watch and completely forgettable, no charm in this role. I am all for actors trying different roles and testing their limits. She did not do a bad job in this role, she was directed to act like that after all, it is just that the role didn’t suit her at all. Maybe it would be better for some actors to just stay in what they can excel at. I could totally picture Lee Sung Kyung in this role.

Yoon Park is too cute to be playing ungrateful bastards. Good job but I couldn’t dislike him enough to consider him an antagonist or sympathize with him at all to care or root for a character development which left me with a lukewarm taste throughout the drama.

Gong Seung Yeon. Oh my god! This woman is too beautiful to be playing such roles. I understand the directors’ thoughts behind hers and Yoon Park’s casts but it just didn’t work out. When you are beyond beautiful like Seung yeon you know it and you don’t run behind any bastard, and if there are girls like her, no reason to beautify it by presenting it in a tv show!

Yeon Woo Jin was the only actor I actually enjoying watching, still his performance wasn’t memorable to save this thing.

Overall, I wouldn’t recommend this drama to anyone to be honest, but considering the positive reaction it is getting I think my personal views, principles and values got the best of me. Apparently rom-com lovers, business drama followers and comedy fans will enjoy this but I’m positive there are far better dramas out there.
kingsqueen
Mar 16, 2017
This drama started off really rough. I kept hoping that it was going to get better, so I stuck with it. And about halfway through episode 4, I finally started to see the light. This was also about the time that news came out that the writers intended to postpone the show for a week for major re-writing. When episode 5 came out, it was vastly different. From there forward, the main read more leads were both toned down a bit in intensity. Ro Woon was not as aggressive and annoying, and Hwan Gi was not so reclusive and in his head that it was frustrating to watch. They evened out the characters and made them much more enjoyable to watch. However, I think that the storyline may have suffered. I feel like they set out to tell a more intense story, and what we got instead was a little lackluster and messy. The motivations for everyone's actions were either very weak or not explained well.

The two main leads did a nice job with their acting. And the kissing scenes were really nice. The rest of the cast did a fair job, but their characters weren't very well developed for the most part.

Music was nice, serviceable.

I won't be rewatching this show as it didn't impress me in any way. In short, the re-write only made the characters more palatable, but screwed up the story. Either way, this one didn't live up to its potential.
pinkmonster
Mar 15, 2017
Introverted Boss holds a special place in my heart because I could relate so much to Hwan Gi Depyonim :) It's like I'm watching my everyday life!
Anyway, this drama is just so good! Love the flow of the story. At first, I feel so annoyed by Ro Woon though I tried to understand the reasons behind her actions. Before I decided to watch this, I watch some video clips of it read more on YouTube and instantly fall in love with the characters' chemistry. I am not even a fan of the Main Leads, but after this one, I love them already! Their acting is not that bad. YWJ is such a great actor portraying his character and I think PHS can improve. I love her cheerfulness and outgoing personality, which is very opposite to her Boss, what disappointed me was when she confronted Woo Il about the drawing, I really wished she cried, but IDK maybe the director told her not to? I felt that scene was lacking from emotions. Anyway, She's not that bad as a rookie. :) Now I'm planning in watching their dramas.
Recently, I've been watching Kdramas and I wonder why I'm not that attached to their OSTs but this drama's OSTs just keeps me singing! They've successfully enter my head and I'm having a hard time taking them out. I think you can already tell that I love every bit of this drama ;)
Kiromenanz
Jun 10, 2017
A quick one, because there have been so many others written already:

I doubted this show in the beginning. The premise sounded great, but the first episode didn't grip me. The second wasn't much better. So let me just post a quick rundown of reasons why I am ever so glad I stayed with it:

- The Male Lead: Really, he is too precious. He is caring and awkward, afraid but powers read more through it, competent, confident and content to stay in the background at the same time. He truly cares for his employees, gives everyone a second chance, takes responsibility for his actions, stays with his friends and he's just an overall cutie. Really, this show was about him growing into himself as much as about romance, and I'd have watched at least ten more episodes of him becoming happy and confident.

- The Female Lead: Couldn't stand her at first, but she suddenly gets better after episode 5 and you'll forget you ever hated her. She's super cute, too!

- The characters and their struggles: There was hardly any black/white storytelling. Every character was shown to have multiple motivations, strength and weaknesses and I just enjoyed seeing people in this show instead of cardboard cutouts.

- The relationships between the female characters: Really, all around people were just so supportive of each other, it was incredible! But what stayed with me most is the relationship between Roo Won and Hee Jin. The best relationship between two girls fancying the same guy I have ever seen, refreshing but heartwarming.

- The relationships in general: You'll watch everyone almost grow into a family and it's so emotionally rewarding!

- Of course, the relationship between our main couple: They're adorable, full stop. They bring out the best in each other and support each other and it's wonderful to see

- THIS POINT CONTAINS A MINOR SPOILER: We see a glimpse of a trans character! And for me, as a cis person, it seemed like a really good portrayal! Of course, if someone who is trans themselves sees an issue with the way the point is handled in the show I'd rescind this point, but so far I've read of no complaints.

- Semi-accurate portrayal of mental illnesses that isn't just depressing: I know this one is hard, but as a person struggling with some of the same stuff the characters struggled with, I saw myself represented here. And in a good way, too! Their actions aren't excused, they aren't used as pointless reasons for some actions, but everyone has their own thing they struggle with and it's really well portrayed.

In general: This is probably one of my favourites now. The music is cute, the cast is amazing, the story is exciting, suspenseful, funny, romantic and heartwarming. It has that TvN flavour. If you're looking for a show that will make you feel a range of emotions and leave you with a smile on your face, try this one!
zumzummara
May 6, 2017
I'm writing this review in order to show people who haven't watched this drama that they definitely should give it a try before judging by the ratings. Please be aware that the ratings are not realistic at all and probably rated by teenagers whose oppa didn't star in this drama :D. This is one of the most underrated dramas i've seen... It's sad because there are many reasons why it should be read more among the best rated ones. First of all, the topic is new and refreshing. The main male role is an extreme introvert with no social skills whatsoever, which definitely goes against the usual kdrama stereotype of a manly, bold and superhero-like male character. The main female role is also a rare seen type of female character in kdramas, she's the opposite of the male lead, an extrovert with no sense of shame :D (very cute and funny). I could talk about other characters in this drama as well because they all have their charms and throughout the series you get to love them all, but the review would be too long lol. It's the show in which you can clearly follow the characters development and growth, and throughout the series you get to love them and understand each of them and their problems. The psychological issues portrayed in this drama are very realistic and writers succeeded in showing how humans are actually fragile beings and how nothing in life is black and white, the complex of life and living is really portrayed well in this drama. It's one of the rare dramas that focus on the growth of the characters, their psychological problems and relationships in general. Secondly, besides the serious part of the drama, it's very funny and many scenes are just hilarious. Hwan Gi (the main lead)'s personality is shown in a funny way too. He appeals to people like a cold, strange person, even a psycho, but as they get to know him they realize how good and sweet he actually is, but the problem comes from his incapability of expressing himself so he hides in his office and avoids people and social interactions. His friend is in a role of a president of the company because he's good in communicating with people, while Hwan Gi as a real CEO hides in his office and does things quietly from there. Roo Won (the female lead) also thought of him as a bad person, and she actually came to work under his company with the thoughts of revenge. Roo Won's sister killed herself in that company; she was Hwan Gi's secretary. Although Roo Won came with such thoughts, working under him made her realize how he is actually a very good person, incapable of hurting anyone, and since the beginning she helps him to overcome his problems and to express himself better. You can see him slowly becoming more confident and less introverted and shy, and throughout the series his character grows a lot and he actually makes friends and falls in love. I like the fact that Roo Won always tells him how he doesn't have to change, that she likes him the way he is but instead he should learn how to love himself and how to communicate with people in his own way, which naturally happens. I believe it's the thing that is very important because it sends a message that you don't have to necessary change for other people to love you, you just have to learn to accept yourself the way you are and people will learn to do it too. Honestly, they are one of my favorite, maybe favorite kdrama couple. Their chemistry is just amazing, and their relationship is just beautiful and really sweet. I loved all of their moments together, they're just great. I really recommend this drama to everyone who is looking for something new, refreshing, sweet and funny. It's a great mix of comedy, romance and drama. P.S you probably heard that the script was edited after the first four episodes because of the complaints and low ratings, but i liked those episodes too and all of the episodes later get better and better. Anyway give it a try :)
McDoubleNFries
Mar 30, 2017
i dont know why this show has a really low rating of 7.9 as i right this review so hopefully more people will see it and rate this drama higher, but at the end of the day everyone has their own type of "genre" or taste. overall this drama is really good definitely worth the watch if you like the the ML "character" in this show.
purplebass
Mar 22, 2017
I started this drama because of the writer and Yeon Woo Jin, which I appreciated in his previous works. I've gotta say, I've liked this drama ever since the first episode despite it had a rough backlash because of the main female character. Yes, she is too nosy in the first episodes, but in my opinion the story gets better as it progresses. It mixes your office romance (but in a very read more subtle way) with a bit of mystery because you want to find out the backstory connected to the beginning of the drama as well. The main point here wasn't even the romance, but the relationships between the characters. You have this one-of-a-kind boss who is an introvert and acts weird in front of others and have a great variety of different people who work in the same environment, and of course the main female character who is exactly his opposite. You see how they grow together and form strong bonds and work to improve themselves. This drama has many comical moments as well as emotional scenes, and they made my heart flutter because I found them deep and also very, very, cute. You should give a change to the MFC because she shows her personality better as the story goes on.

In the acting department, Yeon Woo Jin was very good at playing the shy boss. Besides being super cute, he brought out a character who is relatable to life, with many layers to his personality that always surprised me. He and Park Hye Soo had a nice chemistry, imo. They were adorable together and shared some emotional scenes. She may have been a bit exaggerated at the beginning with her character, but then she finds her way. If you watched her in Age of Youth, here you'll see she is able to play a completely different character. Although I liked her performance, I think she needs to improve more. Well, she's young and has a long career ahead of her, so. The supporting cast was also great. I've seen Yoon Park in other dramas as well and I wish for the future that he'll land a main lead role, I'd like to see how he would do.

The music was cute and tailored perfectly for this drama.

Overall, is surely a drama I would rewatch because it's simple and light but it makes you think. It was such a pleasant story to watch unfold. If you love comedies, then I think you may like this because it is a refreshing story.
MariKim
Mar 19, 2017
Summary: This show is a semi-mediocre plot with a surprisingly great male lead. If you are a fan of Yeon Woo Jin, I would highly suggest this drama as he is very lovable and plays a truly unique personality that's not often seen in any leading characters. Also, it would probably be best when binged watched as you won't have much time to be bored with the somewhat slow progression of the read more story. Finally, I feel like the conclusion of the show leaves the greatest impact on how well you remember and like a drama and I felt like it was just a little blah, nothing outstanding.

+/- Plot:
The initial episodes of the drama were all over the place--at times it felt like the writers were trying to grasp at too many genres, a little horror, a little comedy, obviously romance. It just felt a little messy, like they were trying for too many things and weren't excelling at any of them. It's not until about the 5th episode where we find out some of the backstory, which makes this drama satisfactory--so if you're interested in watching this show make sure to keep that in mind! In the beginning of the show I was completely opposed to having such an introverted lead, but as I struggled through the episodes I developed a further understanding of him and even grew to be fond of him--just as many of the other co-workers. The key that makes this show achieve the minimal amount of greatness it has is all due to Yeon Woo Jin's character and his slow, but steady progression towards opening up to others and coming out of his shell. Every time there was a scene where he would honestly speak his mind I was honestly moved by what he had to say; not only because of the encouragement and approval he spoke, but also because we came to understand the difficulty he went through to do so.
Overall, the progression of the story is a bit slow and felt that it was a bit too unrealistic as the female lead basically forgives the unforgivable. However, I can't say that this drama was a complete failure as I enjoyed a decent portion of it, and am also a fan of the theme selected by the writers. This show is all about being comfortable with yourself, no matter what others may think of you, and finding strength in those around you to help you through times of struggle rather than relying on your own abilities. And because we got to see some character development, in terms of Yeon Woo Jin, in the direction of these themes I can't complain.

+/- Character/Acting:
As I stated before Yeon Woo Jin is the show stopper in this drama. Prior to watching this show, I had never seen any of his other works so I was quite shocked and pleased with his performance and portrayal of his character. He plays his sweet, yet introverted personality very convincingly and makes it even relatable to the audience as I'm sure even extroverts have experienced at least one of his situations.
Park Hye Soo played out her cute role well, however in the introductory episodes I found her character very, very annoying. It isn't until about a quarter of the way through the show where this starts to get toned down a bit and the cutesy traits are turned up instead. While her acting wasn't outstanding, because of the opposites in the two personalities I thought that the two worked well together--they had a decent amount of chemistry, which was better than I expected.
The second leads, Yoon Park and Gong Seung Yeon, were also a little annoying throughout the show. Primarily because of their character's personalities. But I guess with the progression of the show we come to understand them and their choices a little better. Gong Seung Yeon played out her character well, however because of her character's issues I was thoroughly disappointed with her development as I felt that almost in an instant she made a 180 turn towards mental stability. Yoon Park's character also seemed to deal with some issues of self-worth which were likewise, magically fixed--there was hardly any development of either of these second leads and because of it I felt like there were some missing elements to the show.

+/- Music:
The majority of this drama's OST is quite bubble-gummy and I'm really not a fan of the genre, so it was a miss for me.

Rewatch Value: I'm going to have to say I wouldn't rewatch this show, simply because there wasn't anything too outstanding about it. I enjoyed it while I was watching and for that I'm grateful for all the efforts that went into making this show.
Introverted Boss

tvN
  • Duration:

1 hr. 10 min.

• Score:

7.9 (scored by 4,285 users)
  • Ranked: