In The Know with Purplenette

UPDATES ON LAST ARTICLE:  The Great Seer Korean drama seems to be going along fine at this point.  Hopefully they will keep paying the actors and there won’t be any more walk offs.

There are some interesting movies and dramas slated for next year.  Here is some information on a few of them:

KimSoo Hyun, Park Ki Woong, Lee Hyun Woo and Park Eun Bin started filming in October for upcoming movie Covertness.  It will be directed by Jang Cheol Su who won Best New Director in 2010 for the movie BedevilledCovertness is a movie that will come out next year (the release date is undetermined at this time). It is based on a webcomic written by Hun that was popular in 2010.  It is about three undercover North Korean spies that come to South Korea and masquerade as high school student planning to debut as an idol boy band called Flower Boy Idol Trio.

Kim Soo Hyun (The Moon that Embraces the Sun, Dream High) plays Won Ryu-hwan who is exceedingly intelligent and cold but masks himself as an idiot that is cute and funny.  Park Ki Woong (Bridal Mask,Full House 2) will portray a playful Ri Hae Rang who is Ryu-hwan’s friend and rival.  Ri Hae Jin  will be played by Lee Hyun Woo (To the Beautiful You) as a dedicated and inflexible student that follows the rules exactly.  The three spies undergo an identity crises and are tracked down by their North Korean army instructor (Kim Tae Won played by Son Hyun Joo) because they refuse to follow orders.

ParkEun Bin (Operation Proposal, Dream High)  will perform as Won Ryu-hwan’s love interest, Yoon Yoo Ran.

This movie seems like it will be a lot of fun and I’m really excited to see these actors together.

KwonSang Woo and Soo Ae will star in upcoming drama, NightKing/Queen of Ambition (Yawang) that will take the place of The King of Dramas  on SBS, Monday and Tuesday night.  It will be directed by Jo Nam Kook and Jo Young Kwang who also directed The Chaser.  The script writer also known for Rooftop Prince is Lee Hee Myung.  It is based on a manhwa called Yawang that was published in 2006 written by well-known Korean manhwa writer Park In Kwon.

SooAe (9 End 2 Outs) will play Yoon Na Ri who is a poor woman who dreams of escaping poverty and becoming a first lady.  Kwon Sang Woo (71: Into the Fire, Stairway to Heaven) portrays the man that will do anything to help her, Choi Kang-Chan (for the record some sites give him the name of Ha Ryu).

For all of you TVXQ lovers, U-know Yunho (Poseidon) has been cast as Baek Do Hoon who is in love with Yoon Na Ri.  I have never seen anything Yunho has been in,but some say he isn't that great an actor. I guess this is his chance to change minds.  Also added to the cast as Choi Kang-Chan’s “little brother” , Yang Taek Baeis, is Kwon Hyun Sang (Vampire Prosecutor 2 and King 2 Hearts).  Lee Jae Yoon (Ghost) will portray Yoon Na Ri’s step-brother that is also in love with her, Joo Yang Hun. Go Jun Hee (The Chaser) has also been cast as Suk Soo Jung.  She may or may not be acting as Choi Kang-Chan’s love interest.  She may be the love interest of his twin (where the twin comes from, I have no idea).

Honestly,all the info is a little confusing to me, because I have never read the manhwa or watched Daemul (2010 also starring Kwon Sang Woo).  If you want more information, the you really should check out dramabeans.

However, as more information is released it looks like this drama is shaping up to be the kind of melodrama that I love to watch where even the good guys aren't that good.  I can’t wait. Yawang is set to premiere January 14

Soo Ae will also be starring in the Korean movie Influenza with Jang Hyuk that is to be released early next year.  The director is Kim Sung Soo, who also directed Jang Hyuk in the movie Please Teach Me English (2003).

It is about a deadly cold virus that spreads quickly through the city destroying the population and a man and woman who search for the cure before it is too late.

JangHyuk (Midas, A Tree with Deep Roots) plays a firefighter while Soo Ae plays a doctor that team up to find the cure.  I believe they are playing a married couple that struggle to save lives while searching for the host of the deadly virus. I haven’t found the names for their characters although I have searched for a while.  If anyone has any more information, then please comment below.

If you enjoy disaster, thrillers then this looks to be the movie for you.

Kang Dong Won has been cast in the move Archipelago/Band of Thieves which will open next year.  It is his first project since his release from the military.  He picked an excellent project.  The director of this movie is Yoon Jong Bin who is well known for Nameless Gangster which collected more than 4.7 million box office sales.

The setting of the film is the late Chosun era. Kang Dong Won (1% of Anything, Psychic) portrays Joo Yoon who is a rebellious character from a wealthy background talented in martial arts.  Ha Jung Woo (Nameless Gangster, Lovers in Prague) is also cast as Dol Mu-chi who is a butcher turned Robin Hood character.

There isn't a lot of information on this movie as of yet, but I'm so excited to see Kang Dong Won back in action.

Next year is looking better and better for dramas and movies!!!

MinaVIP Jan 1, 2013

Waaaaa I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for Yawang <3 It looks really interesting *o*.

Skye-N-Rain Jan 1, 2013

Can someone add Archipalagao/Band of Thieves
    and Influenza to MDL? Thanks

kailin Jan 1, 2013

korean spies again?! is this their way of dealing with north korea?please stop it. -_-° i don't think if they ever met a north korean they would still do these kinds of drama.

SeRose Jan 1, 2013

Okay, so I just saw Lee Hyun Woo (I call him "puppy").. and man, now I want to see that movie.. even if it's bad. Lol

dapinaymrs Jan 1, 2013

Finally! I was waiting for Secret to Greatness/Covertness to be featured. I heard the 2010 webtoon was such a hit in Naver and I sincerely hope the film will do a great adaptation of the story. Park Ki Woong, Lee Hyun Woo and Kim Soo Hyun are all flower boys but more than that, all three possess great acting skills. So for this movie, with the story and the actors, my expectations are running quite high.

Does anybody know what happened to The Graduate? It's also a spy movie (TOP plays lead) that was supposed to be released December 2012. I keep on searching for a trailer on YT but nothing comes up.

Nicu Jan 1, 2013

uh. Kang Dong Woooon...

TheTurbulentKnight Jan 1, 2013

Night King...just 2 weeks!!

yankumicho Dec 31, 2012

I think that the "Spy" thing is going to be 2013's "time-travel"! I'm actually excited for the spy idea, and both Covertness and The Secret Lovers War sound so great!

hanjimin Dec 31, 2012

Great shows are coming out in 2013! Such as...
    The Secret Lovers War, Sniper Attack 2013, and lots more...
    SUPER EXCITED!

UnboundDream Dec 31, 2012

Is there going to be a Japanese version of this? Not that I don't mind Kdramas, I just would like to know about other country's dramas :D

YuanWei Dec 31, 2012

I hope for a Taiwanese/Chinese as well ^__^ but I guess k-news can be found easier & quicker~~

purplenette Dec 31, 2012

I'm sorry. I concentrate a lot on Korean dramas and movies, because that is my favorite. I will try to find out if there will be other versions to dramas and movies in the future.

YuanWei Jan 1, 2013

u don't have to be sorry~~ it's not ur fault... after all, u should do what u know better~~ we are just hoping someone will talk (more) about Japanese/Taiwanese/Chinese dramas/movies/actors ^__^

UnboundDream Jan 1, 2013

Yeah if you know more about Kdramas that's fine! Some of us just don't dabble too much in that realm. I mean I like Kdramas don't get me wrong. XD

NewKDramaAddict Dec 31, 2012

Ah, KDW, please do just one more drama! Queen of Ambition does kind of sound like Daemul. Covertness, interesting casting PKW as he is so much older playing an undercover HS student? Did I read that right? Should be interesting.

purplenette Dec 31, 2012

I get what you mean about KDW. I was kinda hoping for a drama also, but I will take what I can get. :-) Yeah, Park Ki Woong as a North Korean spy I can believe, but undercover as a HS student...not so sure. The movie sounds so out of there that I'm sure it will be fun regardless.

Mareina Dec 31, 2012

The Synopsis of Covertness sounds totally random and wacky, but with this cast I tend to believe it's gonna be awesome! And if not it's gonna have lots of eyecandy at least.

allyson Dec 31, 2012

Seriously, I love these articles! It's so wonderful having a source of information now :) I never would have heard of Covertness without this article, as I don't watch Korean movies. And that would have been a shame cause Covertness is right up my alley and totally worth bending my no kmovie rule!

MissPetite Dec 31, 2012

Covertness is the one I'm most excited about in this list! I'm not sure if it is because I'm biased about the three main male leads, but the story sounds fun. And also because it's the only one that's funny out of the list :P Maybe I'll add Night King to my list, but, eh... I'm not so sure, I'll first investigate more about it.

catnip Dec 31, 2012

"It is about three undercover North Korean spies that come to South Korea and masquerade as high school student planning to debut as an idol boy band." -> Seriously, WTF? Sounds like it was someone's personal fantasy or fanfic. Sometimes I'm so angry that it's so full of random fanservicing dramas and movies and then suddenly there's nothing to choose from if you want something of a good quality.

Anyhow, Influenza sounds quite interesting, I think I'll be waiting for that.

And let me say I love these news articles, since I myself am lazy or don't have sources to find out and keep up with something upcoming. Thank you!

purplenette Dec 31, 2012

You are totally welcome. Message me if there is anything that you want me to check out. :-)

Oh and Covertness is based on a webcomic...so maybe it is fanservice. Sounds like a lot fun to watch though.

• 0Published Posts
  • 0Total
  • 0Total Views

purplenette's most recent articles...