Netflix is Finally Breaking into the K-Drama Scene

Netflix is Finally Breaking into the K-Drama Scene

r1wzeVG4_476ab0_f.jpg

On April 21st, 2017, the new JTBC drama "Man to Man" became the first Korean drama to be broadcast exclusively through Netflix internationally.

It is my understanding that other than in Korea and America, the show will be broadcast every Friday and Saturday, so we have two episodes a week to look forward to. In Korea, the show will be available within an hour of it airing on JTBC. In America, they will be releasing it by splitting it into two parts and releasing 8 episodes in each part.

As I stare at my subtitle options for the show on Netflix, I am seeing English, French, German, Italian and Spanish, however, Netflix is going to have subtitles available in over 20 different languages.

Knowing that Netflix is finally starting to acquire rights to air K-Dramas exclusively makes me really excited for what the future may bring. Not only could it bring Korean dramas to more countries, it also exposes K-Dramas to so many more people. I'd love to see more people enjoy and discuss the greatness that is Korean dramas.

74KezkKL_ffbf6e_f.jpg

Man to Man stars Park Hae Jin (known for his roles in Cheese in the TrapDoctor Stranger and Bad Guys) as Kim Seol Woo, a "Ghost" agent currently acting as a bodyguard for Yeo Woon Gwang, who is a top Hallyu star, played by Park Sung Woong (known for Hidden Identity and Remember - War of the Son).

So far I have only watched the first episode and I can say I'm definitely interested to see where this drama is going to take us. I'm even more interested in the development of the bromance between Park Hae Jin and Park Sung Woong.

l4jBMJY4_933b17_f.jpg

I highly recommend checking out Man to Man on Netflix, and I'm highly anticipating what the future holds for Korean dramas on Netflix.

Also, if you're like me and have to wait weekly for new episodes then check out this list of Korean dramas currently available on Netflix:

Descendants of the Sun

Age of Youth (known as Hello, My Twenties! on Netflix)

Wild Chives and Soy Bean Soup (known as 12 Years Promise on Netflix)

Boys Over Flowers

Playful Kiss

Love Rain

Tomorrow's Cantabile

Goodbye Mr. Black

Noble My Love

D-Day

Iris

Please keep in mind that these are only some and not all of the shows available on Netflix.

Til next time! ~Cub

BriannaElizabeth 8 days ago

Netflix (at least in the US) has been doing asian dramas for a very long time.
    They have a huge selection - albeit a lot are not the highest rated - and it's how I watch a lot of them.

joannesmith May 16, 2017 - edited

netflix usa has been a supported of asian dramas for awhile. DOTS was up there and bunches of other films and dramas. What is the difference now is the marketing of this across the different internationa sectors.

makeuptemple May 12, 2017

Some were already available on Netflix UK. But mainly Chinese & Taiwanese dramas are on Netflix

Cntrldfusion May 11, 2017 - edited

According to my Netflix (USA) account this drama is not available until June 10. Must be that they are currently providing it for Korean Netflix accounts as it airs and everyone else will have to wait.

Deb Thomas May 12, 2017

That is what I was going to put....lol. We basically won't get it until it is done airing. I have been watching on an off channel, but will go and run through the eps so the actors etc. at least get credit for it. So pirate now, pay later....lol.

LoveSojiSub51 May 15, 2017

Which is such crap! So I am gonna be on other sites since they want to do this. When dramafever used to work with Hulu, they used to add one week after the show aired.

zara darini May 16, 2017

Thats weird I'm in canada and I have access to it.

Ana May 20, 2017

Finland's Netflix streams it the same time as in South Korea so I think that only the US gets it after it's finished.

Maria May 3, 2017

I think this is such a wonderful news! Like what would be better for the drama makers, actors, staff who work on them than people actually watching legally dramas. With that money they might have the ability to make more quality content, more amazing dramas.

And the possibility to actually find the HQ episodes on Netflix rather than trying to find bad quality stream that has ads every 5 minutes. I'm just waiting that Netflix will bring more asian dramas! Of course licensing is problem, even in Netflix. But I think there's also room for asian netflix/hulu/something provider. Like I would pay monthly fee if I could watch tons of dramas with english subtitles and hq video.

I don't want to be rude but I don't understand people who say this is not good news. Like your favorite actor or drama won't change if more people watch it and think it's amazing. You are not unique snowflakes, many people love dramas, same actors. Even kpop has been mainstream thing so many years already. If you want to be special, change your interests don't try to deny interests from other people. Just saying you should be happy your favorite actors are getting more attention from world, more money and deals. And give you more amazing dramas. :)

ClaudiaKdramaFan May 2, 2017

I have impatiently waiting for My last Love Song its been on my list for a month now, so I wonder if they will drop all episodes at once. Man + Man I watched first 2 episodes I am not into it yet will have to watch the other episodes. I hope they could release Strong Woman Bong Soo I think that would attract a lot of Netflix viewers into Kdramas it had everything in one drama alone, writing and acting are great.....I live in NJ and Im hispanic, but I am the only one in my FB sharing kdrama stuff I feel weird at times but I dont care...lol

dramalatte Apr 29, 2017 - edited

i do not understand why they split it... they should release entire episode after is done airing in korea. no one is going to wait for it be release the way netflix is doing it.

ClaudiaKdramaFan May 2, 2017

If you are disconnected with Kdrama which most of the American population is, I think they would rather watch a show in a binge rather than 2 episodes a week which is actually Netflix concept.

userbmc Apr 28, 2017 - edited

I think one good thing that can happen with this is people stop being prejudice about asian tv. A lot of people I know have never watched asian dramas and when I tell about them, they give me a "you are strange" look. Everyone, this is just a normal tv show, but the language isn't english! It really annoys me...
    I just don't like very much the "original Netflix" because we have Viki and also DramaFever who work very hard for provide good subtitles, but not everyone can afford the subscriptions... and of course it is better to watch in a legal way. Let's see how it is going to work.

akayuki87 Apr 29, 2017

u should try jdrama too then

guccigall Apr 29, 2017

Try Chinese dramas too. They are killing it recently with their quality shows.

userbmc Apr 30, 2017 - edited

English is not my first language but I can understand it very well, however, I watch american tv shows with subtitles most of time just to understand better. I hate most of tv shows from my country, so everything for me has subtitles. Maybe your daughter would have a different view if she liked something else, but I know a lot of people who cannot watch subtitled movies or tv shows.
      I used to think that was really weird that some asian dramas just have kisses, but then I started to notice how much screen time we just have with sex scenes on american tv shows and the plot sucks. I think is ok to have sex scenes but sometimes there is so much of it and the story drags too much...
      and yes, people should stop being prejudice about asian dramas in general, including jdrama, cdrama, twdrama... there are a lot of good dramas in all countries <3

mila Apr 30, 2017

the "original Netflix series" is cause netflix is actually part of the production, just like dramafever in the new drama "my secret romance" or viki with "dramaworld", I could be wrong though

ClaudiaKdramaFan May 2, 2017

lol you are not alone hun, even my kids do....lol

AkiHimemiya Apr 27, 2017

Don't know.. I'm not happy 'bout this... It's like we're losing "our priviledge" of watching &knowin' them :(

Sutera116 Apr 27, 2017 - edited

Damn, I was expecting a netflix kdrama production, like japan. I guess I'll have to wait.

lunaphina Apr 26, 2017

Unfortunately, most of these K-Dramas (except for Man to Man) are not available in Germany. :(

CherryBunny Apr 26, 2017 - edited

I just read something this morning. Unfortunately, I didn't save the link. >_< It said that Netflix has partnered with Chinese Baidu. So that means, now Netflix will be bringing in more Mainland Chinese content. In one way, this is awesome, as it is extremely hard to find many Mainland titles. However, this will, undoubtedly get in the way of Viki gaining those titles, which means that those who have no access to Netflix will be missing out.

Chavs Apr 27, 2017

thats great because it is extremely hard to find them

guccigall Apr 28, 2017

More competition for dramafever and viki. Oh no.

userbmc Apr 28, 2017 - edited

it is very hard to find mainland titles, even Viki has very few of them... but I think most of people have Netflix right? In my country is very popular.

makeuptemple May 12, 2017

Well viki & DF still have a chance. Viki owned by Rakuten one of the most leading marketing sites

StephStephieTeff Apr 26, 2017 - edited

So many negative comments about this :o I for one was so happy to see this on Netflix! I don't get DramaFever in my country and a lot of Viki's content is not available in my country either so this is great news! I would love for more people to know about Kdramas, why not share this goodness? And at least this way people would have more of an idea of what I'm talking about. Plus I know people who have Netflix and don't even know Kdramas are on there, so don't worry too much about them becoming mainstream.

kingsqueen Apr 26, 2017 - edited

It's the exclusive rights that I'm worried about. I'm all for more people having access. I just don't know why they have to limit it to one platform. The other worry is that Korean drama will start to try to conform to American interests. I don't want to see them do that. We like them how they are.

LoveAsianWorld Apr 26, 2017 - edited

Well, you are right, not everyone discovers the dramas there but still, like kingsqueen also said, it's the adaptation to American interests which might become a thing if it gets popular and I don't want that at all.
      For people like you and many others, it might be a good alternative to watch dramas legally on Netflix though, but I get pretty disappointed if Netflix/DF gets the exclusive license because then it is hard for Viki to get any license amd then it is only very restricted, mostly only for people they call "QC" (Qualified Contributor) which would be very active volunteers who get this viki pass (you normally have to pay for) with other benefits like access to A LOT of dramas which are not licensed for your region. I personally am a QC and am glad to be able to use these benefits but not everyone is one. So it would be easier for viki to get the licenses for everyone, not only QCs, when Netflix doesn't join the competition. If you know what I mean ;)
      But I still prefer Netflix getting the exclusive over DF getting it, since you can get Netflix pretty much everywhere, while DF is not available in Europe legally. Of course there are ways around that to use DF too, but that's cheating and somehow illegal or at least not conpletely legal in my opinion.
      I hope I didn't bore you and you can somehow get my (and kingsqueen's) point. ^-^

mila Apr 30, 2017

Exclusive rights to a drama isnt something only Netflix is doing, Viki and Dramafever both have content exclusively for their sites, which annoys me since I mostly use Dramafever (I'm premium there) and I can't watch some dramas cause they are only on Viki (and to watch most of their on-air dramas you have to be subscribed, and it's much more expensive than DF)
      BUT it's fine, that's a marketing strategy.
      Also, don't worry about them trying to "conform to American interests", people from all over the world have been watching kdramas I doubt they'll change just cause kdramas are on netflix (Man to Man isnt the first kdrama on netflix), they dont care that much about the money they get from international streaming (except china I think they get a lot from there), they only care about korean audiences and advertisements .

peacewon Apr 25, 2017

A lot of the older dramas are on netflix and have been for years. also Hulu was airing a lot of korean dramas there for a while, but it looked like they toned it down a little. they seem to partner with Dramafever!! to bring weekly episodes!! No one has a decent access to a lot of Japanese or Chinese ones aside from dramafever and the sites that shall not be named. Well I am sorry to say, I am thankful HOWEVER they get here because the crap that is on local television is pretty sad. I stopped watching it years ago because it was just too stupid / sex-oriented / violent. Not much new and exciting was coming down the path.

JPT Apr 25, 2017 - edited

I checked my Netflix and there wasn't any episodes available. :/

magie185 Apr 25, 2017

Yes, there are 2 episodes of the drama.

MisbehavingCub's most recent articles...