Netflix is Finally Breaking into the K-Drama Scene

Netflix is Finally Breaking into the K-Drama Scene

r1wzeVG4_476ab0_f.jpg

On April 21st, 2017, the new JTBC drama "Man to Man" became the first Korean drama to be broadcast exclusively through Netflix internationally.

It is my understanding that other than in Korea and America, the show will be broadcast every Friday and Saturday, so we have two episodes a week to look forward to. In Korea, the show will be available within an hour of it airing on JTBC. In America, they will be releasing it by splitting it into two parts and releasing 8 episodes in each part.

As I stare at my subtitle options for the show on Netflix, I am seeing English, French, German, Italian and Spanish, however, Netflix is going to have subtitles available in over 20 different languages.

Knowing that Netflix is finally starting to acquire rights to air K-Dramas exclusively makes me really excited for what the future may bring. Not only could it bring Korean dramas to more countries, it also exposes K-Dramas to so many more people. I'd love to see more people enjoy and discuss the greatness that is Korean dramas.

74KezkKL_ffbf6e_f.jpg

Man to Man stars Park Hae Jin (known for his roles in Cheese in the TrapDoctor Stranger and Bad Guys) as Kim Seol Woo, a "Ghost" agent currently acting as a bodyguard for Yeo Woon Gwang, who is a top Hallyu star, played by Park Sung Woong (known for Hidden Identity and Remember - War of the Son).

So far I have only watched the first episode and I can say I'm definitely interested to see where this drama is going to take us. I'm even more interested in the development of the bromance between Park Hae Jin and Park Sung Woong.

l4jBMJY4_933b17_f.jpg

I highly recommend checking out Man to Man on Netflix, and I'm highly anticipating what the future holds for Korean dramas on Netflix.

Also, if you're like me and have to wait weekly for new episodes then check out this list of Korean dramas currently available on Netflix:

Descendants of the Sun

Age of Youth (known as Hello, My Twenties! on Netflix)

Wild Chives and Soy Bean Soup (known as 12 Years Promise on Netflix)

Boys Over Flowers

Playful Kiss

Love Rain

Tomorrow's Cantabile

Goodbye Mr. Black

Noble My Love

D-Day

Iris

Please keep in mind that these are only some and not all of the shows available on Netflix.

Til next time! ~Cub

JPT Apr 25, 2017 - edited

I checked my Netflix and there wasn't any episodes available. :/

magie185 Apr 25, 2017

Yes, there are 2 episodes of the drama.

LoveAsianWorld Apr 25, 2017

I find it kind of nice to have kdramas on Netflix! But first of all: I don't have Netflix yet, bit I'm planning on getting the subscription soon after my birthday.
    It's nice to see that more people can have a legal (!!) access to kdramas and adding to that, with an access to movies and other series since a lot of people already had Netflix before they started having Kdramas or because there are many people like me, who wanted to get Netflix anyways and find it pretty convenient to be able to watch some Kdramas there too!
    BUT I can also understand all those people who think Kdramas could become "mainstream" and wouldn't be special anymore. Personally, I don't find this itself a huge problem because I am convinced that American shows are something with a completely vibe and approach and therefore has a different audience. Or at least I find them very different and I "fled" to Asiaan dramas because I don't really like most American shows' vibe. Of course, more people would check out Kdrama and maybe even like it but that's fine! I'm just more scared that the Drama industry in Korea, if Kdramas would get very popular in America and other countries, would try to modify their writing, acting etc to the interest abroad for whole dramas to make more money! Because then, Kdramas might lose their charm and their differences from American/Western series and I absolutely do not want to happen. I mean, I don't even find it so totally impossible, just look how the reaction was when Moon Lovers/Scarlet Heart: Goryeo didn't satisfy the Chinese viewers!
    Also, another point why I kind of dislike Netflix getting on on the Kdrama train is my volunteer work. I am a subtitler on Viki and I definetely already noticed a change in my work. It's all about competition: who gets the exclusive rights and who gets the normal license and who has to return empty handed. The competition has become harsher since Netflix is competing with Dramafever and Viki and we are losing licenses. It's not about exclusive rights only, but the normal license.
    As someone who lives in Europe, you don't have a lot to choose if you want to watch your dramas: you can use Viki as a legal site which you DON'T necessarily need a subscription for, although the subscription does have some advantages (HD, no ads, earlier access...), or Netflix where you need a subscription or you watch dramas ilegally on streaming sites. DF doesn't work for us, so you can only hope Viki gets the license despite DF having the exclusive license. If you want to watch dramas legally, then you would most probably use Viki and most of the times the sibs are very good! I don't know about the sub quality on Netflix but I watched Night Light (one of their exclusives I believe) with their subs and oh my gosh! Some episodes were HORRIBLE!! I have never seen anything so bad on Viki and I think that should really be appreciated, considering we are all VOLUNTEERS and have usuall pretty fast teams! So despite all the crap you experience lately as a volunteer on Viki, you can still say it is not a bad site and for those in Europe at least, you are the only legal option with a bigger variety of dramas and movies from Asia.
    I will still check out the Kdramas on Netflix and "inspect" the subtitle quality ;)

Jordan Apr 25, 2017 - edited

did i mention FREE....this is discriminating against people who choose to spend their money on more important things, like snacks that are consumed during binge watches. let's try to focus on the important things people.

elkah Apr 26, 2017

You don't really understand how things work in the world, do you?

Jordan Apr 25, 2017 - edited

They should break into the Cdrama scene. On the other hand I like watching my free fan subbed dramas...for FREE....

Yume Apr 26, 2017

yeah we all do, but you prob know that the drama industry need to earn some money too, and that these free sites are illegal. So at least Netflix is legal!

Eunha Apr 27, 2017

But it isn't just the money issue ( i have netflix) but that it would be more difficult to find completed dramas. Netflix only keeps a few shows. It doesn't happen often but sometimes I prefer certain subs over others, or seeing the comments on viki. Dramafever and viki are legal but will they be able to compete with Netflix if people only use it for old shows and not the new ones that Netflix will pay to get exclusivity

Eunha Apr 25, 2017

I have watched like two kdramas on Netflix, they were completed dramas and I think that's what Netflix should stick with. However getting exclusive with dramas is annoying. I like watching dramas on viki at times so I can read comments while watching. Plus subs tend to be really good on viki, I wonder if Netflix can compete.

Plus I wonder if this messes with the dynamics of things, I always though it was cool that subbers would spend time to translate for everyone, and be so quick. I know a second language too and I have been wanting to help out subbing, it would be a good way to use my language skills and grow them. In a weird way it made dramas a community thing.

kingsqueen Apr 25, 2017 - edited

Honestly, I'm not all that excited about Netflix horning in on DramaFever and Viki. Especially if it means that they make the US viewers wait. I have subscriptions to all three platforms, and I started my k-drama addiction on NF. But I'm not crazy about the idea of them gaining "exclusive" rights since we aren't their target audience. And I'm sure the subs won't be as good as Viki (probably on par with DF). I also used to watch on Hulu before they dumped most of their content, but now that I've switched over to DF and Viki almost exclusively, I don't miss them being there. If NF wants to get in on the action, I think they should just aquire rights to air completed dramas first. (Which they did at first and then dumped pretty much all of them for a while, which leaves you to wonder why they are jumping back in.) If I thought they could do it better than the two current major platforms, that would be one thing, but I don't feel that they will and that's what worries me. I also like watching shows the day they air or next day. I'm not on board with how they plan to air them to US viewers.

Laplej Apr 25, 2017 - edited

I agree. Why are they obtaining rights when we have to wait anyways. I'll watch the fansubs first since I'm not gonna wait several months when I can watch it the same day it airs. LOL. And yeah Hulu and Netflix really pissed me off when they got rid of SO MUCH asian dramas. I was binging shows in HD for once, without the video stuttering at all. Geeeez.

rainruma Apr 26, 2017

I agree .... Their "exclusive" rights and their consequences worry me.

All_In Apr 25, 2017

They (both production companies and Netflix) might as well try something different. The Chinese market is drying up because of the ban so I think the more avenues for eyeballs, the better. Doesn't mean we'll like the drama. That's always a roll of the dice, but I take this as a sign of the success of the Asian content Netflix already has. So many people - myself included - discovered dramas on Netflix.

Leticia Pimenta Apr 25, 2017

Estou acompanhando pelo Netflix aqui no Brasil também, acho que vai ser bem legal, tomara que ele venha um dia pra cá em uma reunião de fã!

KimHyeEun Apr 25, 2017 - edited

Whaayyyy? I'll go crazy if the wolrd knows about them

Fortuna Apr 25, 2017

That's what I'm thinking.

Erica Apr 25, 2017

Actually, the world knows both Japanese and Korean drama. Of course, Japan's culture already been popular in the US longer.

KimHyeEun Apr 26, 2017

Yes but still a huge population is oblivious of the k world. It should be restricted to te group the knows. I don't want more and more people to get to know about the kworld. Its so so special

MKXII Apr 25, 2017

in north africa is available with arabic sub i like style of this drama like an american
    series

kez Apr 25, 2017

but i'm very selfish with my kdramas. i dont want them to be that popular i feel like people would go mainstream :(

Vampirella Apr 25, 2017 - edited

What? Age of Youth is on netflix? WHAT! Well not on the german netflix i guess. At least i never saw it there :D
    But i also really like the thought of asian Dramas being available on Netflix. It meens more attention and more potetntial fans which means more money for the cast and crew. I like that :) Could mean more budget for future productions. Maybe some actors will get some roles in american shows's or movies. Would be sooo awesome!

About "Man to Man". I am probably the only person who dropped it after watching two Episodes. It bored me to no end with all the cliche's. And i wanted to like it so much, dammit! Well, sometimes you just can't get into the hype :D

Misunderst0_od Apr 25, 2017

I think Age of Youth is listed as Hello My Twenties or something like that.

All_In Apr 25, 2017

Netflix (or someone) often changes names of their Asian dramas. Faith was called The Good Doctor back when they had it.

Vampirella Apr 26, 2017

Well, i still can't find it. Seems like "Age of Youth" isn't available on the german netflix. Man to Man on the other hand is listed.

Misunderst0_od Apr 25, 2017 - edited

I don't think its available in the U.S. yet for Netflix users. The episodes might be released later/delayed. :( I'll have to watch somewhere else I guess.

Also keep in mind that different countries may have access to different shows/movies on Netflix than others.

Skye-N-Rain Apr 25, 2017

In the article, it says, '. In America, they will be releasing it by splitting it into two parts and releasing 8 episodes in each part."

KimHyeEun Apr 25, 2017

Whyyy? Why on earth is there a need to make k dramas go global? For god's sakes hold your horses. Don't make this world get known to everybody. It won't be special anymore. Something so close to my heart. I can never afford to let just anybody know about it.

irilight Apr 25, 2017 - edited

So when is Netflix finally going to show it?
    Do you mean they will wait until 8 episodes have finished?
    There are other Korean shows on NF. I am watching Last now.

MisbehavingCub's most recent articles...