Goblin vs. The Bride of Habaek

Goblin vs. The Bride of Habaek

Before The Bride of Habaek had even aired, many anticipating viewers could not help but notice the uncanny similarity it had to another one of tvN’s hits: Goblin. So, is it a carbon copy, or does it stand on its own? In this article, we will be talking about which one tops the other.

Disclaimer: This article will contain no spoilers, so no worries if you’re worried about ruining any aspects of the drama! These opinions belong to my own, I completely do not expect everyone to agree with these, and I hope you respect mine as I respect yours! With that being said, let’s get started!

God

Both of these dramas put the focus on two immortal creatures. In Goblin, we follow Kim Shin (Gong Yoo), a Goblin who possesses his enchanting powers for centuries. On the other scale of the spectrum, we follow Habaek (Nam Joo Hyuk) in The Bride of Habaek. He belongs in a world cast in a faraway land separated away from mortals. In my eyes, Kim Shin takes the cake for this category. As undoubtedly goofy and adorable seeing Habaek attempt to fit into his human peers, he falls in the background beside Kim Shin.

VLQY5owL_cf6682_f.jpg  d4vowqR1_f117fb_f.jpg

Bonus: Do I really need to defend my reason for this? Eeek, what is that wig!

z1dkjXA4_093de1_f.jpg

Heroine

Again, Goblin beats The Bride of Habaek in this category. Kim Go Eun is able to naturally fill her role as quirky and fun. Along with her acting skills, there is undeniable chemistry with between her character Eun Tak and her Goblin. Unfortunately, Shin Se Kyung ends up caught in a less exciting dialogue with a stiffer presence. In the end, as a viewer, I failed to see the connection between her character and Habaek.

W19QD9D1_687472_f.jpg  W3rXGDm1_cad4b2_f.jpg

Nonetheless, both of these two actresses are undeniably beautiful!

OST

This one is a draw! Both have incredibly ethereal and memorable songs that fit perfectly with the mood. Goblin's OST was probably more memorable, but The Bride of Habaek showcased some good tearjerker songs. Take a listen to some of my favourites from both of them!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Pacing

Now we’re looking at which one will be easier to fly through. Sometimes, you really need a drama you can just relax at without analyzing every small detail. With that being said, I am going to hand this one to The Bride of Habaek. There is significantly less dialogue in this one compared to Goblin, as well as more cutesy tropes that can especially appeal to a certain group of viewers.

jLl9n0j3_3e507e_f.jpg

Cinematography

For me, this HANDS DOWN goes to Goblin. But in actuality, this is a draw between Goblin and The Bride of Habaek. When it comes down to it, it’s all about your personal aesthetic and preference. If you’re looking for breathtaking backdrops in different environments and lightings, paired up with some incredible filming... Goblin will be right up your alley. If you prefer bright, fun colours that look out of this world, you’ll love The Bride of Habaek!

71NQ8bq4_9407be_f.jpg  M4POBqj3_c75382_f.jpg

The Verdict?

Coming from someone who only fully watched 5 episodes and skimmed through the remaining The Bride of Habaek, it's hard to say. It seems The Bride of Habaek was not trying to create a grand story like Goblin was. Instead, it was a fun, goofier story that ended up taking itself too seriously. It didn't help that there was a HUGE hype train that caused the demise of this drama. In the end, Goblin falls on top.

What are your opinions on these two dramas? Which one do you like better: Goblin or The Bride of Habaek?

Leave any thoughts down below in the comments. Thanks for reading!

animaky 7 days ago

Goblin is my top, without discussion :)

PKsuperfan 8 days ago - edited

I am not done watching Goblin yet, but I spoiled myself on the ending. While I don't really like Goblin so far, I do have to agree it was better than The Bride of Habaek. Goblin does have remember-able music. I am sorry for Bride of Habaek though because it sounded like a much more interesting plot line if they just followed the manhwa.

ruun 9 days ago

I can't believ u are compering The beat drama Goblin with flop drama. I mean Goblin was muche better then the bride habeak. GOBLIN FOREVER

shesvi 10 days ago

There's no point in comparing these two dramas: on one side we have the best drama of 2016 (Goblin), on the other side a total flop lol

HAVA-RAVA 10 days ago

I personally liked Bride of Water God much more. OST wise and cinematography-wise Goblin was better but there was just something I didn't like in the actual story.

OtakuGirl 10 days ago

GOBLIN is the BEST! Bride of Habaek was a huge disapointment, loved the manhwa, though!

Dimana 10 days ago

Goblin was one of the top 2016 dramas in Korea and overseas and Bride of the Water God was a disappointing flop which people watched only because of the pretty actors #sorrynotsorry

2eul 11 days ago - edited

i read few comments of this post and how everyone expressed in different ways, so i want to address my opinion as well but this is solely my own opinion.

first of all, the bride of habaek was a huge disappoint to me as someone who is huge fan of the manhwa which the drama is based. huge changes were made and many details were missing. yes, i understand that they made based in modern time but that took away many things which made the plot amazing.

mmm i only adore Krystal's acting as everyone had this stiffness in them especially shin sekyung, she could have done better than this. The way the land of water was shown is a no-no in compared to manhwa like sorry.... it is not how is should be. and what with the wig that habaek had when he was there, thats so ugly. there are so many things i really want to pint point but it would be a huge spoiler for people who did not read the manhwa.

i can say this for sure, the plot is different in the manhwa and it is more intense, sad, and darkness which would you addict to it. all the deepness, many characters, and how things happen is missing in the drama which made the drama very weak when compared to goblin. if the bride of habaek follow the true story line then it would have been a huge hit.

i guess that what made goblin strong as it was an original plot in compared the drama version of the bride of habaek which did not follow the original story line.

Jordan 11 days ago

I won't watch the bride of habaek because the comic is AWESOME. i personally think that Kdramas are not as good as Cdramas when it comes to creating epics since that is just the norm in China; I think that if the people who did JOF or Peach Blossoms bought the rights, they could make a really good show

KarenScott 11 days ago

Interesting) I should watch it)

Trouble-chan 12 days ago

Nope, sorry for me Goblin edges it all the way but ESPECIALLY on the OST. Sure Bride is good, but Goblin is HAUNTING.....the music hangs around long after each episode and the drama itself is finished. Round and Round was favourite of all, but Chanyeol and Push singing Stay with Me was brilliant too. So Goblin is the outright winner for me ALL round.....I mean Gong Yoo and Lee Dong Wook - their bromance was worth first place alone! ❤️

GloriaLaurency 12 days ago

Haven't seen Bride of Habaek series just the Trailer but by far Goblin is the best. I laughed and cried throughout the whole thing.

NappeunYeoja13 12 days ago

I only watched the first episode of Goblin, but it creeped me out. I know he's like this immortal thing, but it felt like he was going to be chasing a kid. I couldn't do it. I think the only reason people don't like Bride of the Water God is because they all fell for the Goblin hype. I sometimes really don't understand what makes certain dramas really popular.

Emily 13 days ago

GOBLIN!!!!!!!

xcrystalstarx 13 days ago

not a fan of either one, but I'll say Goblin is better. Although I didn't like the age gap between GY and KGE, felt awkward watching them kiss o_o didn't like people crying all the time in the later episodes, it got annoying - wanted to see more of the badass Grim Reaper from ep 1 when someone crashed into him. Both had good osts and I am still obsessed with the first OST (The Reason Why - Yang Da Il) from BOTWG :D I think that song sounds too good for the drama lmao

Aravnth 13 days ago - edited

WITH ALL MY HEART IT's Ji Eun Tak'S GROOM(do you understand what i get too, haha )Aishhh i can't forget her forever ~~

(aka rw337)

ruby's most recent articles...