I wonder why this movie is not on MDL yet...

Title: Farewell My Concubine.
Genres: Drama | Music | Romance | War
Director:Kaige Chen
Writers:Pik Wah Li (novel), Pik Wah Li (screenplay), and 2 more credits »
IMDB:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106332/

Cast: (Main)

Leslie Cheung

Fengyi Zhang

Li Gong

Description:

ntil Farewell, My Concubine (Ba Wang Bie Ji), not many people were aware that most members of the Peking Opera were originally orphans or illegitimate castaways with nowhere else to turn. Such is the case of the film's protagonists, Duan Xiaolou (Zhang Fengyi) and Cheng Dieyi (Leslie Cheung), two homeless outcasts, trained from childhood in the grueling rigors of the Opera by master Lu Qui. The film traces the 52-year friendship between Xiaolou and Dieyi, a friendship pockmarked with fiery conflicts and tender reconciliations. Though the delicate Dieyi specializes in female roles and the gutsy Xiaolou plays noble warriors, theirs is an essentially heterosexual relationship; still, when Xiaolou takes upon himself a prostitute bride (the magnificent Gong Li), Dieyi is as petty and jealous as an outcast mistress. Farewell, My Concubine holds the viewer in thrall from start to finish; as such, it is thoroughly deserving of its many international film awards and nominations. Surprisingly, this worldwide success was something of a flop in its home country of China; perhaps it hit too close to home for those viewers who'd lived through the same years so painstakingly recreated in the film. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi

Source RottenTomatoes

For those who watched it. Do you think it deserves all the praise it receives?

MDL Link: http://mydramalist.com/chinese-movie/3646/farewell-my-concubine
Ummm there was supposed to be a third option in the poll but I mixed up and have no idea how to edit it so:

Option three: I didn't like it, its overrated.
I honestly don't think anyone would have the courage to label this movie as "overrated". It's hard to digest, emotionally intense and horribly so, but absolutely stunning, brilliantly directed, with and outstanding cast and lovely music. This is one of those movies I will never forget, although I saw it for the first time more than 15 years ago and couldn't watch it again for a very long time (that's my limit with movies that move me too much).

Thank you for opening a thread about it, Go. :)
I dont think i have ever heard of this film (i can hear your gasp from here :p ) but seeing as you have brought it to my attention I shall definitely check it out...
I've heard of it, but I don't remember ever watching it.
It's been for a long time one of my favourite movies ever. But be warned: watching it feels like being repeatedly punched in the stomach. There's nothing sunny, or sweet about this movie. But it's unforgettable, scorching sad and beautiful. I am ready to recommend it if you are ready for a hard ride. :)
Farewell my concubine is one of those films that leaves a mark on you forever. The first time I watched it, I just cried all along the movie. I once lend it to a friend of mine and all he said after was: no so bad, but I've seen better. I was there like, are you serious! Every time I watch this movie I end up crying. Beautiful is not enough to describe it.
twinklelie wrote: Farewell my concubine is one of those films that leaves a mark on you forever. The first time I watched it, I just cried all along the movie. I once lend it to a friend of mine and all he said after was: no so bad, but I've seen better. I was there like, are you serious!
Every time I watch this movie I end up crying. Beautiful is not enough to describe it.

I agree with you. :) And, not to offend your friend, but I personally hate when someone says "I've seen better". This is such an ordinary response, since there will always be something better in general terms, but such a movie does not deserve an ordinary review. One may not like the harshness of it, or the setting, or even the message it sends, but it is an undeniable beautiful movie both in concept as well as production.