I was thinking about learning Chinese (Mandarin specifically as it appears to be more widely spoken) but the only things that I'm apprehensive about are the Chinese characters, the tones and being misunderstood.

I just wanted to know, how difficult is it realistically speaking?

Especially learning the characters itself?

As for the tones, there seems to be a lot of people who have trouble with this. There was even a funny tongue twister video where the whole sentence sounded like, "shuh shuh shuh shuh..." and I wonder if it's really that hard to speak? I know that tongue twisters are purposely made hard but is it hard to remember which sound implies what?

And finally is it easy to find Chinese speakers for guidance? I am learning Korean and it's almost impossible to find native speakers to talk to about doubts so I mostly have to hope I can search the net or youtube for grammar points regarding my doubts.

With so many Chinese speakers, I feel it is worthwhile to know the language. I'm just not confident about how to go about learning it. So I certainly welcome tips as well.

And sorry if I come across ignorant. I will literally be starting from scratch.

"Better to ask the way than to go astray". I can only speak from my own experience. I was learning Mandarin at uni, so I had the comfort of having the teachers to consult with. However, learning on your own allows you to move in your own pace.  It's hard to say how difficult it is, since it depends on a few factors. My mother tongue has similar sounds, so it wasn't that hard for me to learn the pronounciation. There are only four tones, so it's not the hardest. For me personally speaking was never a problem. Learning to read and write though... That was difficult. It took me a lot of time and effort. Fortunately, grammar was easy. It was probably the easiest of the languages I've been learning, grammar-wise. My advice to you is give it a try and persevere :)

i just saw this video on youtube a few weeks ago if you wanna check it out.

also, i thought this was funny ~

https://www.tiktok.com/@bernicecomedy/video/7218960063690509610?lang=en

ZhouYanRan:

"Better to ask the way than to go astray". I can only speak from my own experience. I was learning Mandarin at uni, so I had the comfort of having the teachers to consult with. However, learning on your own allows you to move in your own pace.  It's hard to say how difficult it is, since it depends on a few factors. My mother tongue has similar sounds, so it wasn't that hard for me to learn the pronounciation. There are only four tones, so it's not the hardest. For me personally speaking was never a problem. Learning to read and write though... That was difficult. It took me a lot of time and effort. Fortunately, grammar was easy. It was probably the easiest of the languages I've been learning, grammar-wise. My advice to you is give it a try and persevere :)

Thank you for encouraging me! I suppose with any new language it takes a lot of practice. There do seem to be quite a lot of online resources so that's definitely one benefit of learning languages nowadays especially if it's as popular as Chinese.

Good to know that the grammar is easy! Grammar can be one of the hardest things to get a hang of when learning languages. I've started off really slow. Just dipping my toes and learning a few common words here and there are trying to pick up words from dramas like I did with Korean.

purpleh2o:
also, i thought this was funny ~

https://www.tiktok.com/@bernicecomedy/video/7218960063690509610?lang=en

The youtube video was great! And I completely agree when he said that just learning words is not enough if you are not speaking them. I realised this recently when I tried speaking in Korean and was struggling because I never practiced my speaking even though I was reading and listening at a higher level. These kinds of advices are perfect for any language learner. Also learning Mandarin in 1.5 years is incredible. But I'm sure a lot of it is because he had a speaking partner because they can correct you in real time and teach you the natural way of communicating. That's why I was wondering if it would be easier to find a native speaker through language exchange. 

I've seen that tiktok video before and she is amazing. But it was also scary that one can possibly mispronounce strawberries so terribly. haha. I also saw a video of someone who said, just talk fast and you won't have to worry about tones. Problem is, I don't even talk fast in my native tongues. :P

Doing on your own,  is very very difficult plus, time consuming and with less output. 

One really needs to take professional help, if seriously wanna excel

It's difficult to even get to an intermediate level alone?

I don't know about levels.

I am just learning from here and there on the internet. 

I  have started from characters first.

I have not joined any classes.

How easy or difficult did you find it? 

If time is there, one can do it. Yeah Characters are  difficult, ( m yet to learn all of them, not able to spend time ).  Phonetic won’t help you here, 

For me, I am learning, just as one of my hobby, I don’t really have to be an expert as m not gonna accept the offer of interpreter at UN or so  : p

haha. I wish I could absorb languages quickly. I wouldn't mind being an interpreter I suppose. But yes, atm it's for a hobby. I just enjoy learning languages. I'm in the middle of learning Korean so I am trying to figure out if I can learn Chinese as well. Some Korean words are based on Chinese words so there might be some benefit to learning both.

ColourMePurple:

haha. I wish I could absorb languages quickly. I wouldn't mind being an interpreter I suppose. But yes, atm it's for a hobby. I just enjoy learning languages. I'm in the middle of learning Korean so I am trying to figure out if I can learn Chinese as well. Some Korean words are based on Chinese words so there might be some benefit to learning both.

If you learn the easiest by seeing the characters I suggest you to buy a book about the development of the language. Because the characters used to look like pictures and slowly turned into what they use today. This is also very helpful in order to imagine certain characters and remember them easier.
In the end it is still memorising them.

In my case I made the quickest devlopment with a teacher. I learned quickly in a short time round about 500 characters. But I had an individual one.^^