I try to be very open-minded when choosing dramas or movies to watch. However, these days or should I say because 2020 happened I started avoiding really depressing  or heave dramas/movies. When I see on the synopsis that on e of the main will die or something, I would not watch it at all.  I watch to relieve stress not gain them. Also, political dramas are not my cup of tea at all unless there are some romance and I like the leads, then I'll just skip on the political part.

After saying that I hate dramas/movies that at the end some people die, when thinking about what my favorites are, all of them (probably like 90+ %) had people dying at the end (how ironic of me). 

But is it just me who's avoiding sad ones these days or am I just getting old?  

No you are not alone. I too avoid dramas tagged as sad endings, tearjerkers and death. Earlier I would watch mainly comedies, rom-coms, light hearted stuff. Watching fluffy stuff gives you unrealistic expectations (LOL). But I recently watched some dramas with some serious plots (although the endings weren't that sad)... Love Affairs in the Afternoon was one of them. I realised that watching such storylines actually grounds you to reality so I'm always on the lookout for such life-like stories. Watching sad dramas helped me cope with my underlying sadness. It helped me explore my emotions. 

I absolutely steer clear from anything horror related though!

It is completely understandable that you tend to avoid sad dramas, especially this year that has been very difficult for many people. Dramas are there to entertain us , to make us feel things and of course to make us think. That means, that every person depending on their mood chooses the series that fits their mood better.

Personally, I avoid spoilers and I am not looking at the tags, because I don't want to know if the drama will have a tragic ending or not. The dramas I chose this year haven't changed much. I tend to choose series from different genres, and from heart-warming to tragic. Also, I have some drama 'phases'. I have the ''romance'' phase, the ''mystery-horror'' phase, the ''bl'' phase, the ''watch whatever you find'' phase. 

I didn't  mind when watching a drama that made me cry (and there were a lot this year). What I do though is choosing something different every time. For example after a sad historical drama, I will probably choose something happier and more heart-warming. In that way I don't feel like the sadness overwhelms me. The few episodes that kdrama and jdrama have helps a lot, since no matter how sad it is, it will not have a lot of episodes to make me feel immense sadness. Furthermore, most kdramas make me feel lots of feelings, (sadness, happiness,  excitement, anger) and that is something advantageous, since the drama doesn't only emit one feeling.

What I tend to avoid in general though, are romances that are cheesy with no actual plot (or a very plain and common one). Generally, it depends on the plot. If it seems like something good I will probably watch it.

I like almost all genre, and tearjerkers are among my fave along with romance, thriller/suspense, medical and coming of age dramas. There really is something about having good cry that somehow relieves some inner twist in my heart. Though badly written and illogical tragedy does make me pull out my hair in frustration. I want a good satisfying end, may it inspirational yet still heartwrenching end like 1 liter of tears, or guns a blazing and hell has fallen tragic murder suicide like in something happened in Bali. I am all for it.

The genre i mostly avoid, are probably those that usually centers in affairs. There really is something about people who cheat that makes me livid. Even when the protagonist gets even with cheater wife/hubby i still feel quite not right in the end. I mean i know its real life, but man it just is painful to watch, the betrayal and all. 

Another genre, probably is the political one. Mainly because not many are done right and ends up boring.  I did loove Chief of Staff and Designated Survivor 

I'm not a fan of romance so I avoid dramas that seem too focused on that aspect. Other than that I can watch pretty much everything, but I enjoy darker and action packed or sad and angsty shows. I'm also kinda iffy about comedies. I don't dislike comedies in general but I've seen too many cringey 'comedy' scenes in Asian dramas [that could've been funny but were taken too far and therefore lost the appeal]. There are some great comedies out there though so I don't avoid them completely. 

I tend to avoid historical dramas, it gives me too much anxiety, I don't watch BL either, I'm generally not a big fan of fluffy dramas unless I absolutely love the main couple; watching couples I don't like gets tedious and I don't watch many medical dramas because it doesn't really interest me. I think I'm the opposite of you, I like watching dramas that can make me cry because it makes me appreciate them more, it also makes me feel better to cry my eyes out, maybe because I try to never cry in my life so it's like an emotional outlet,  and it's healing for me.  But I do tend to avoid sad endings, I much prefer happy endings because they make my heart feel full while sad endings make it feel empty.

Politics/business/medical... 

Slice of life dramas usually bore me/put me to sleep I usually prefer the opposite of that lmao 

Anything and everything with SAD endings. Like NOPE. I will waste my two days just thinking about the sad ending man. Just can't!

I avoid ghost movies. Also avoid animals movies because the animal always end up scarified snd die

I used to avoid dramas with romance but then realised I literally can't escape it so I gave up lmao. Now the only thing I avoid is gore or very mature stuff (even though I'm old enough to watch those kinds of shows).

I avoid dramas with tsundere male leads (for the most part. There are only a few exceptions). And dramas that have plots that rely on silly misunderstandings. I'd prefer my characters to communicate. I also hate rape/sexual assault used as plot device or portrayed as romantic. 

- long/ draggy  misunderstanding between the leads

- Love Triangle 

- Historical 

-Sad endings 

- Rape and/or  sexual harassment scenes or plots 

hello im new here....hw can i select the genres i want to watch as i wasnt able to select it when i created my account??!! sorry to disturb you!

cdramalove18:

hello im new here....hw can i select the genres i want to watch as i wasnt able to select it when i created my account??!! sorry to disturb you!

You can't watch dramas here, MDL is only for information/keeping track of what shows/movies we're watching. 

White Plushy:

I always avoid Love Triangle, Sad Ending.. 

Also family drama/affairs like The World of the Married, Sky Castle, The Penthouse, etc

I actually like all of those lmao except for sad endings but sometimes they make a show more memorable than the usual happy endings, depends if it fits the overall vibe of a drama too. I'm always addicted to those makjang/family dramas like you listed there xD although Penthouse isn't as good as the other 2 tbh even though I enjoyed TLE & CJBR from the same writer. 

@sunset , i know that but when i was creating the account...it asked to choose the genre of the drama i prefer to see here and read about the articled and stuff....i wasnt able to choose the genre...so im wondering where can i find the option to choose my preference of drama