Hi

I'm curious to know what you all think of this factor, video and audio quality.

I'm mostly watching kdrama on Netflix and Viki, so I can compare between these services. I don't know about other services.

Generally speaking I feel like overall the video and audio quality for kdrama is rather lacking. But it varies. I know american series (with a big budget) usually have HDR and 5.1 audio, maybe 4K. But so far almost 99,9% of all kdrama I've watched is in HD (not very sharp, maybe 720p only) and stereo audio.

The only korean content I've watched in HDR with 5.1 audio is the movie Space Sweepers.

I want to note that I'm not here to directly compare between Netflix and Viki, but I notice these differences:

1) For Netflix Original series (kdrama) the video and audio quality is  excellent. Take Itaewon Class as an example. But for non-Netflix series that Netflix offers the quality is usually similar to Viki, except for audio where Netflix audio is much better.

2) Viki video quality is always similar. Even newest biggest series have rather dull quality I feel like. It's good enough, but it's not very sharp. But as I said, Netflix non-original series have similar video quality maybe.

3) The audio is actually the worst part for Viki, it's a low bitrate audio, sad for my ears to hear it. I hear a soundtrack in one of the series playing, I pause the video to play the same soundtrack on Spotify, and you really really notice how low quality the Viki audio is.

Perhaps my question is, why do asian content makers not make their content available in higher quality, like HDR, 4K, 5.1 audio. I know at least for Korea they're the leading manufacturer of TV's in the world, high bandwidth connections. It feels like they should be producing all their content in HDR+4K+5.1 audio.

Is it the extra cost? Just wondering. 

Also, I wonder if the quality is different between devices. Like if watching from Apple TV you get better quality than watching from browser?

Thanks.

interesting thread, I don't have an answer to this but I've seen some higher quality stuff available for free download on Avistaz (2160p) which takes up a lot of data/space.

There was one time I accidentally stumbled on a Korean channel, it was airing I Hear Your Voice and the video quality was sharp AF even though my TV was pretty average? But when I was also watching the Cantonese dubbed version on another channel the video quality looked more dull for some reason, like it was only 720p.