Hi,  I have a question regarding a particular word that crops up a lot in shows like "Unex pected Business" etc. and usually is translated in the English subtitles as "part-timer".

To my ears the word sounds a bit like the German word  "Arbeiter" - which means "worker"!

It seems to begin with an 아 and end with 트 or 으.
Am I hearing this right or am I going crazy??
I love all things language-related, even though I don't know any Korean. It would be so astonishing if this Korean term was a loan word borrowed from German - since it's mostly English that influences other languages around the world...

Thanks.

아르바이트 

Thank you very much for the Hangul! Now I can look it up properly!! 

It is indeed a loanword, though from Arbeit, not Arbeiter.  Japanese uses it too.  English is FAR from being the only language to loan words to other languages, and is of course famous for importing words greedily itself, as Jame D Nicoll famously said:

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.”

― James D. Nicoll 

You’re not going crazy at all! You’ve made a very astute observation. The Korean word for “part-timer” is indeed 아르바이트 (arbeit), which is borrowed from the German word “Arbeit,” meaning “work” or "labor". It’s fascinating to see how languages influence each other, and in this case, you’re correct that Korean has borrowed from German, not just English. This is a part of what makes studying languages so interesting—the unexpected connections and histories they reveal!