I just started going to this free Korean class about a month and a half ago. Most of the time we end up talking about dramas. hah. Almost everyone in my class is watching Emergency Couple right now. I also bought this Korean grammar workbook. Probably the best $40 I've ever spent. It's called Basic Korean: A Grammar and Workbook by Andrew Sangpil Byun. I cannot tell you how overly helpful this book is.
I've been studying it for 3 years in a language school but I cannot say I'm fluent or anything... I can watch dramas without subs because the grammar structure in conversational speech is a lot easier than the actual informal/formal speech like in variety shows. But it's always better watching them with Eng sub or Korean subs. I recommend the Korean subs, it's really helpful! there is that option in viki, I think. But you have to bare in mind that the real informal speech it's not that easy to understand (like what the youngsters do with those acronyms and shortening words -.-). My next goal is to read really long books but I don't think I'm ready yet. I have a thing with languages and I'm learning three at a time, so my path is like really slow. If anyone is considering learning more than one language at a time I would say "don't do it, you'll get crazier!" because I'm experiencing that. Thinking in one language, speaking in another, switching languages when writing...oh god, I just hope someday I would master all of them!
Hi~ I take a korean class, so I'll be happy to help you if you need help with things. I know the difference between particles if you want to know?
To me it's easier if I start with the alphabet first.
fascinatetheworld wrote: Hi~ I take a korean class, so I'll be happy to help you if you need help with things. I know the difference between particles if you want to know?

Particles have always bugged me. I still do not get them, even after a year of trying to figure them out.
I was trying to learn by myself a while back, but it is way too hard to learn by yourself without anyone to converse with in Korean - no way to grow and you forget the stuff you learn....so I gave up, and am just learning words and phrases from dramas right now until I can afford to go to Korea and learn at a school there....
i'm just starting to make attempts a learning and sorting out all of the resources available
I'm trying my best~ But I think it's really hard without proper classes. Of course, there's classes online, but they don't really teach phrases that much. I learned the alphabet and I can read it. I can speak some, but most of what I know is from dramas and kpop, haha^^ I thought Korean would be easy, since I learned the alphabet in like 20 minutes. But the thing is, I didn't realize that I'm not really able to learn phrases and sentences. I don't learn grammar at all. I don't know how to set up a sentece correctly and such. I don't know how I would be able to learn Korean grammar without taking classes. So at the moment, all I learn is from Korean dramas. And most of it isn't useful, it's just "is that so" or "don't go", "do you understand" and stuff like that. Not at all stuff I could use to have a conversation. I'm also way too busy with school to try to teach myself a language. But I'm trying to do my best~^^
If you're looking for quite good grammar explanations visit http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/
They have a lot of cool lessons at many levels and they have audio and video explanations of grammar, idioms and so on. And as for more advanced learners they also have 100% iyagi - real life conversations on various topics and dialect lessons. It's really worth checking out if you don't know it yet;))

I haven't seen better korean self-learning site so far. And all the teachers are so cute and funny;) You should check out their youtube channel;) https://www.youtube.com/user/talktomeinkorean

Good luck with learning!
I am thanks to my school =) i'm also going to Yonsei University this fall semester kyaaaaaaaaaaaa *excited but scared*
I was using TTMIK 2-3 years ago but haven't been too into learning Korean since then.  Have any other good sites popped up since then? What are you all using these days?
^ The Cyber University of Korea is offering a free online course. I've taken a look and it seemed fine, although I don't really have time for really getting into it right now...

(The registration has had some problems - i.e. it may not send confirmation mail. If so, just keep resending and ... maybe one day it'll work? Or just see the videos on youtube.)
^ Hey Fira, thanks for the link you gave. I think I should give the online course a try. The registration worked fine for me though.

Currently, I know how to read Korean, but I don't understand what it means. Haha.  Need to work on sentence structure, pronunciation and learn more words.
As I am a language geek, in the beginning I was trying to learn as much as I could at home, with talktomeinkorean, livemocha, learn-korean and some books that my parents had bought me, but it wasn't easy at all, so I decided to start a Korean language course at King Sejong Institute. I'm so glad I did! Not only I have language classes with native speaker (in Korean only!) twice a week, but also some classes of Korean culture, evenings with Korean movies as well as practical workshops, for example with Korean cooking. If you have any opportunity to study Korean at King Sejong Institute - do not hesitate guys, it's really worth it :-)!

If you already know some Korean, you can also use livemocha.com to practice your speaking and writing. Although the language course they're offering there is not so good (it's too difficult for beginners imo), if you have any knowledge already, you may find their exercises useful, and native speakers will check them for you, rewrite or give you some advices. The best part - it's FREE :-).
I found a couple free workbooks to download (PDFs)

http://culturequote.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/ba...
http://koreanfromzero.com/downloads/download.php?f...

I haven't used them yet but they look pretty good.