Hey everyone, Been a while since I posted on the forum, but I was so excited!

I got accepted into a Summer Korean Immersion program: http://koreanimmersion.org/main/

I have been trying to learn Korean, but with work its hard to find the time. With this program I will get to dedicate a month and a half to learning the language and I get to live in Seoul!

Ahhh so excited!
Ahh congratulations I am super jealous of you! I hope you have a fantastic time there!
wow! that's great! congratulations :)
Thank you! I figured people who had gone before might have some suggestions of places to go or advice. I would really appreciate it!
Hey! I've been living in Seoul for the past three years, so I might be able to help you if you have any questions (I definitely can't claim to be an expert though!).
Ecks wrote: I figured people who had gone before might have some suggestions of places to go or advice. I would really appreciate it!

It's been awhile since I've been in Korea, but I'm sure these places are still intact and worth visiting. In Seoul, there's Namdaemun Market, which is a huge, sprawling outdoor market and is unlike anything anywhere. There's also Insadong, a street of art galleries, antique shops, and tea houses. Finally, there's Kyongbokkung or Kyongbok Palace, which is the most impressive of the palaces you can visit.

Outside of Seoul, there are many traditional folk villages. The one I visited was near Suwon, which is about an hour's drive from Seoul, and was called the Hanguk Minsok Ch'on or the Korean Folk Village. Definitely visit one of these, as they're charming.

As for advice, if you're single and of a marrying age, and if you have Korean relatives and/or many Korean friends, beware: They might just try to marry you off.
HAHA KiaSoul I will keep that in mind! Also thank you for the suggestions for places! Thank you BoredandTwitchy! I did actually have one question, I had to get a checkup before going so that i could stay in the dorms and when I was with my doctor they started talking about vaccines I would need to take before going. I was like "Wha...? its Seoul... its like a super big nice city." So did you take any vaccines before going?
Ecks wrote: HAHA KiaSoul I will keep that in mind! Also thank you for the suggestions for places!

Thank you BoredandTwitchy!

I did actually have one question, I had to get a checkup before going so that i could stay in the dorms and when I was with my doctor they started talking about vaccines I would need to take before going. I was like "Wha...? its Seoul... its like a super big nice city." So did you take any vaccines before going?

Getting vaccinated if you're living in a dorm is common around the world I think. I had to do it before going to college back in the States and before doing my study abroad in Europe. That's because it's easy for diseases to circulate in dorms, including fatal diseases like meningitis. So, that's more for dorm safety than it is about Seoul being riddled with diseases^^
I don't recall having to get any shots. I studied Korean at Yonsei, but that was a long time ago and I didn't stay in a dorm. Still, I would think Sogang would make it explicitly clear if you had to get vaccinated. Could your doctor be trying to make an extra buck? If he is and your insurance covers the shots, I'd just go ahead and get the shots. But if you have to pay for the shots yourself and you don't want to, I'd check with Sogang to see if you can do without them.