http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8791/akbe.jpg[/img]

AKB48 is a Japanese female idol group produced by Yasushi Akimoto. The pop group has achieved enormous popularity in Japan. It is also one of the highest-earning musical acts in the world, with 2011 record sales of over $200 million in Japan alone. AKB48 is named after Akihabara (Akiba for short), the area in Tokyo where, on the 8th floor of a Don Quijote store, the band's own theater is located. Akimoto's idea, later advertised as "idols you can meet", was to create a theater-based idol group whose fans could see the girls live daily.
Years active: 2005-present

Members:

Team A
Misaki Iwasa - January 30, 1995
Aika Ōta - December 8, 1994
Shizuka Ōya - December 28, 1991
Haruka Katayama - May 10, 1990
Asuka Kuramochi - September 11, 1989
Haruna Kojima - April 19, 1988
Rino Sashihara - November 21, 1992
Mariko Shinoda - March 11, 1986
Aki Takajō - October 3, 1991
Minami Takahashi - April 8, 1991 [i]*Team A's captain and leader of the entire group

Haruka Nakagawa - February 10, 1992
Chisato Nakata - October 8, 1990
Sayaka Nakaya - October 15, 1991
Atsuko Maeda - July 10, 1991
Ami Maeda - June 1, 1995
Natsumi Matsubara - June 19, 1990

Team K
Sayaka Akimoto - July 26, 1988 *Team K's captain
Tomomi Itano - July 3, 1991
Mayumi Uchida - December 27, 1993
Ayaka Umeda - January 3, 1989
Yūko Ōshima - October 17, 1988
Ayaka Kikuchi - June 30, 1993
Miku Tanabe - December 2, 1992
Tomomi Nakatsuka - June 18, 1993
Moeno Nitō - July 22, 1992
Misato Nonaka - April 20, 1991
Reina Fujie - February 1, 1994
Sakiko Matsui - December 10, 1990
Minami Minegishi - November 15, 1992
Sae Miyazawa - August 13, 1990
Yui Yokoyama - December 8, 1992

Team B
Haruka Ishida - December 2, 1993
Tomomi Kasai - November 16, 1991
Yuki Kashiwagi - July 15, 1991 *Team B's captain
Rie Kitahara - June 24, 1991
Kana Kobayashi - May 17, 1991
Mika Komori - July 19, 1994
Amina Satō - October 16, 1990
Sumire Satō - November 20, 1993
Natsuki Satō - July 1, 1990
Shihori Suzuki - February 17, 1994
Mariya Suzuki - April 29, 1991
Rina Chikano - April 23, 1993
Yuka Masuda - August 3, 1991
Miho Miyazaki - July 30, 1993
Mayu Watanabe - March 26, 1994

Team 4 (announced on June 7, 2011)
Maria Abe - November 29, 1995
Miori Ichikawa - February 12, 1994
Anna Iriyama - December 3, 1995
Mina Ōba - April 3, 1992 *Team 4's captain
Haruka Shimazaki - March 30, 1994
Haruka Shimada - December 16, 1992
Miyu Takeuchi - January 12, 1996
Mariya Nagao - March 10, 1994
Shiori Nakamata - July 25, 1992
Mariko Nakamura - December 16, 1993
Suzuran Yamauchi - December 8, 1994

List of Kenkyūsei/Trainees[/url]
List of former members

Discography:

[u]Albums

Set List: Greatest Songs 2006-2007 (2008)
Kamikyokutachi (2010)
Set List: Greatest Songs Kanzenban (2010)
Koko ni Ita Koto (2011)

Number-one Singles
River (2009)
Sakura no Shiori (2010)
Ponytail to Shushu (2010)
Heavy Rotation (2010)
Beginner (2010)
Chance no Junban (2010)
Sakura no Ki ni Naro (2011)
Everyday, Kachusha (2011)
Fyling Get (2011)
Kaze wa Fuiteiru (2011)
Ue kara Mariko (2011)
Give Me Five! (2012)

Source
BINGO! (PV)

And for the little Mendol-fan inside me: Persona with 3 seconds
(Kojima Haruna, Takahashi Minami, Mineghishi Minami)
I love AKB48! I haven't heard a bunch of their music, but I love Aitakatta, River, and Beginner. My favorite members are Oshima Yuko and Atsuka Maeda. I haven't found my favorite B Team member yet, and I didn't know there was a Team 4. lol

I'm ticked that they took away the original pv beczause it was "too violent". It wasn't that violent :/

Sleepninja wrote: I love AKB48! I haven't heard a bunch of their music, but I love Aitakatta, River, and Beginner. My favorite members are Oshima Yuko and Atsuka Maeda. I haven't found my favorite B Team member yet, and I didn't know there was a Team 4. lol

I'm ticked that they took away the original pv beczause it was "too violent". It wasn't that violent :/

Just heard Beginner for the first time - but it's great. Is the first person to speak/sing (person in front) Takahashi Minami?
Zaza-Zaza-Zaza-Zaza-Zaza wrote: Just heard Beginner for the first time - but it's great. Is the first person to speak/sing (person in front) Takahashi Minami?

Uhh not sure lol I only know the names of my favorites right now because there are just so many of them :O I think maybe watching their dramas will help me learn a few more members' names. lol
Sleepninja wrote: Uhh not sure lol I only know the names of my favorites right now because there are just so many of them :O I think maybe watching their dramas will help me learn a few more members' names. lol

I think it's Takahashi, I saw her chin and thought "Oh, that's Takahashi Minami" - it even makes sense considering that she's the leader-leader.
But I only know three of them myself, rofl.
Looking for a drama with a few AKB members? CoughMendolCough
Ridiculous:

Left to right:
Sayaka Akimoto, Sae Miyazawa, Minami Takahashi, Yuko Oshima, Atsuko Maeda, Tomomo Itano, Haruna Kojima, Mayu Watanabe, Yuki Kashiwagi

Link
Is this about that AKB48 anime they were gonna do? I remember seeing an article awhile back that said there might be an anime.
I like AKB48 their music is actually really good. But I'm just a sucker for that type of idol music. Lol. I'm not an expert on all the girls personality wise because there are just too many, but my favorite members are Akimoto Sayaka, Watanabe Mayu, and Sato Amina. I also like Miyazaki Miho but I don't know much about her. XD
As for Beginner that is Minami in the beginning. :]

And Sleepninja if you're looking for an AKB48 drama you should try Majisuka Gakuen since a lot of the girls are in it. I plan to watch it myself soon. There are even rumors that there will be a Majisuka Gakuen 3 soon. And if you're unfamiliar with Team 4 some of the Team 4 members are going to be in a drama with some Johnny's Junior members this April called Shiritsu Baka Rare Koukou.
AimxAim wrote: I like AKB48 their music is actually really good. But I'm just a sucker for that type of idol music. Lol. I'm not an expert on all the girls personality wise because there are just too many, but my favorite members are Akimoto Sayaka, Watanabe Mayu, and Sato Amina. I also like Miyazaki Miho but I don't know much about her. XD

And Sleepninja if you're looking for an AKB48 drama you should try Majisuka Gakuen since a lot of the girls are in it. I plan to watch it myself soon. There are even rumors that there will be a Majisuka Gakuen 3 soon. And if you're unfamiliar with Team 4 some of the Team 4 members are going to be in a drama with some Johnny's Junior members this April called Shiritsu Baka Rare Koukou.

Oh cool, thanks! I'm not very familiar with the younger Johnny's (I mainly know of the older ones like Arashi, KAT-TUN, and NEWS), so this will help me get up to date with that label too. :)
No problem. :] I'm not super familiar with the Juniors either, but lately I've been trying to keep up with them more. And I'm excited that 2 of my favorite Juniors are going to be in this drama.
Sleepninja wrote: Is this about that AKB48 anime they were gonna do? I remember seeing an article awhile back that said there might be an anime.

Yep, I just read an article about it on tokyohive - that's why. :) I am definitely going to check it out - just for the fun of it.

AimxAim wrote:

Yay! Gotta love her - I just don't like her anime-self. Green hair!? :p
Maeda Atsuko announces her graduation from AKB48

On March 25th, Maeda Atsuko has announced that she will be graduating from AKB48. This announcement was made during the encore on the final day of AKB48’s concert at Saitama Super Arena, “Gyoumurenraku. Tanomuzo, Katayama Bucho! in Saitama Super Arena.”

Maeda stated while crying, “I took the audition to enter AKB48 when I was 14 years old, which was a big decision in my life. Now, please let me make my second big decision. I am graduating from AKB48.” According to her, no details on her graduation, including when it will be, have been decided at this moment and she will announce it when it’s decided.

Oh no! :(
I kinda saw that coming. I hope she concentrates on acting.
Awww My fave from Momusu and now one of my faves from AKB48. T-T