biniBningPunkista

Deep Rooted Tree
Oct 5, 2013
This Drama was heavy, heavy, heavy. For a sageuk themed drama, with the glamour of a King and his followers... this had a fantastic story to tell.

Before checking this out, you, the viewer need the proper mindset before committing yourself into watching this drama (unless you are already into this kind of drama). Why? Because this is too far away from being romcom or light. There are witty scenes where you read more find the "funny" but not so much, because it would be obliterated in a second by the realism of the situation the characters are in. Watching this drama was heart racing, mind boggling and most of all tear jerking if you get to finish this in one go.

It was also frustrating being in the perspective of the king - because a person with so much wealth and power could be so helpless at the same time. *sigh*

My favorite character here was King Sejong - Han Seok Kyu's portrayal of him was so convincing that my heart was moved every time he does or say something. His decisions throughout the drama was really something, because it amounts to the lives that revolve around him, one mistake means the death of someone and one right thing could lead to the abundance of the entire nation. His role was really something and his acting was so deep into the character, I tend to forget that he was only acting about the agony of a king who cherished his people.

Then here comes the King's person: Kang Chae Yoon and So Yi.
These characters were portrayed by high fantastic artists - Jang Hyuk and Shin Se Kyung. Their roles were vital and important for the success of the king's plan and well... the ending was very dreary but there's that sense of fulfillment despite everything they have gone through. All in all their characters made this drama an unforgettable one.

The music isn't that catchy or is something that would stick to your head forever, but it does add to the drama. As for the re-watch value, I would not want to re-watch this lest I want to depress myself or stress myself all over again, but over all this drama is still dear to my heart. I loved this drama and would highly recommend it to those who love watching sageuks involving historical documentations.

Tree With Deep Roots - will move you, haunt you and make you change your outlook about your given language. Because this drama depicts history and the people who sacrificed a lot to make things possible.
Goong
Jun 9, 2012
I have finished this Kdrama on it's first airing. It was quite a sensation back then. Goong has 24 episodes all in all. The setting was beautiful, you can see the Korean culture in a splendid way. The cast were also great, sound track just perfect for every scene and the palace was definitely nice. This drama was taken off from a Manhwa which is considered as the Korean comics. They have read more used the plot almost similar to the original story line, I say almost because as the usual way of every drama/movie makers which takes stories from books, they mangle a lot of things and change it unnecessarily. I hate it when they do a lot of changes from the original story. It ruins the original writer's thoughts.

The beginning of the show was really cute, and Yoon Eun Hye as Shin Chae-gyung the leading lady role was just funny. Her character was a normal teenage high school girl who was clumsy, a bit stupid, always smiling, getting into tons of trouble and yet has a pure heart. Her life drastically changed after meeting Shin, the crowned prince and over hearing him propose marriage to a girl. Then she was thrown into an arranged marriage with the crowned prince after finding out the marriage agreement which was done by her grand father and the king's father when they were born.

This is a show where I started liking Eun Hye as an actress. Joo Ji Hoon who played as Shin, her leading man was also gorgeous for a Korean guy, although his eyes is too squinty for my taste. I still liked his character, the seemingly uncaring guy, but deep inside he just thinks too much of others.

Kim Jeong Hoon who acted as Lee Yul (Shin's supposedly cousin who wants to take his throne away) was cute and my heart went out for him as he was that guy who had to endure an unrequited love when all he wanted was for Chae Gyung to love him back that's why he wanted to be the crowned prince. Lasty Song Ji Hyo who acted as Min Hyo Rin was just perfect. She was the girl that Shin first proposed to before getting married to Chae Gyung, she seems to be the cold girl who acted like there was nothing that could ever bother her, but deep inside, her heart is crumbling to pieces as she watches Shin fall in love with Chae Gyung little by little.

As the story progressed, there where some draggy moments that I have overlooked because the setting and music was just beautiful, and I can't just help my self but watch it even if the lines have been too redundant. The ending was gorgeous for me because of the setting once again, but story line wise it was quite bland for my taste and went way off with where the whole story was really supposed to be. It gave me a sense of confusion which I didn't really like. Although I felt this way towards the ending I am still giving it a 9 for compensating with other areas in the drama that I have already mentioned which is also essential for making this a top rated Kdrama.
Crows Zero
Jun 9, 2012
As I watched through the whole thing with some annoying distractions, I was able to finish it with a big fat smile and an urge to punch someone.

The film was really violent, but not in the violent notorious way. It was rather light for a violent film and with some comedic touches on the sidelines which wasn't really out of place. The graphics and effects were great. The setting, music, plot… read more especially the cast was perfect. I wouldn't want anyone else to be casted on this film.

Definitely Oguri Shun has rocked this film!

I am an Oguri Shun fan but I'm not rating this for being biased, the rating for me fits the whole movie because it was THAT COOL.
Jewel in the Palace
Jun 11, 2012
The very first sageuk drama I have ever experienced. I can’t believe I was able to finish all those episodes along with my PARENTS. Yes. I hooked my parents into the Kdrama world with this show. If my parents loved this, then I’m betting you would too.

Jang Geum is not an ordinary drama because it was actually based in real life. In history, she is known to be a palace cook read more turned into royal physician but of course, like all history books made drama, producers has their ways in tweaking with the story line so a lot may have been changed. Setting that thought aside, I have enjoyed all 60 episodes of Jang Geum because in every episode, there are always different conflicts. In which will be solved on the next episode or the next. It keeps me on my toes and I just couldn’t help but get addicted to it. I like the thought that Jang Geum had great mentors so she could become the person whom the king trusted her to be. Then she also had different support systems: mainly King Jungjong, Capt. Min Jung Ho (the love interest), Yeon Saeng (her best friend), Lady Han Baek Young (her mentor) having this people around her she was able to survive the harsh world within the palace. Set things straight and become the Dae (meaning great) Jang Geum that she is known up to this date.

Oh and yeah, not to forget the romantic moments between Jang Geum and Jung Ho. Watching them in all those lovey-dovey moments was worth every tears I’ve shed for this drama.
Nobunaga Concerto
Nov 21, 2015
Nobunaga’s Concerto isn’t your ordinary time travel drama where the main character is looking for a way to get back home but instead he decides to live accordingly to the time he was thrown into and do his best.

When I watched this drama, I had a mindset that this was going to be a series full of mishaps, comedy and light mood scenes because the main character had to pretend to read more be someone who was a powerful Samurai Warlord during the Warring States Period. It did somewhat meet my expectation but what surprised me was the way they incorporated the serious into the funny. The mood tones of this drama was very much well mixed. If you parallel it alongside the real Japanese History before and during the Tensho Era, it does makes sense and goes accordingly to history, only it was elaborated in a very fictional way thus the comedy blends in. I also learned that this drama was also a manga adaptation, I haven’t read the manga yet but I did enjoy this live action.

Oguri Shun as Saburo/Oda Nobunaga was funny, annoying and at the same time full of wisdom when he sets his mind into it. This was another drama than Shun nailed since he had to act 2 different characters at once. It would have been hard for an average actor to internalize that but watching him here, it was like a breeze turning from one klutzy idiot to being a ruthless samurai.

The other characters I liked are:

Shibasaki Kou as Kicho, she’s the wife of Nobunaga, a very fierce woman who tries to hide her affection from her husband. Her acting complements well with Shun and they definitely have this chemistry going on, regardless if Shun is acting as the fake Nobunaga or the real one.

Mukai Osamu as Tsuneoki Ikeda, Nobunaga’s right hand man. Aside from being good looking all throughout this series (yes, he is good looking so please do not contradict my feelings for the guy, he’s been a long time crush now since Nodame Cantabile *fan girl mode on!*) he had a good role portrayal. I still can’t believe he was duped by the Saburo and he was able to unknowingly assist the guy into being the legit Nobunaga he can be. I liked Tsuneoki’s personality where he follows head in line with his heart and does things smartly and not being rash about his decisions.

Fukiji Naohito as Hanbee Takenaka, this guy! I’m really amazed that the drama is supported by veteran actors like Fujiki. So him, being casted in the later episodes is a bonus for me. I like his role as a tactician and how he worked with Saburo along the way due to his dreams of peace and unity for the whole of Japan.

Issei Takahashi as Nagamasa Azai, his character is someone I could not hate despite the fact that he and Nobunaga are fighting each other's clans. His acting style and the way he shows his emotions in this drama was something that was really heartfelt. This gave way to a special spot for Takahashi in my own heart.

Yamada Takayuki as Denjiro/Kinoshito Tokichiro/Toyotomi Hideyoshi, maaaaan… this guy has so many names and aliases. I loved his vengeful character and still looking forward to the things he is about to do. I will not say more anything about his role because that in itself will become a spoiler. What I would leave here though is that he was awesome in this drama.

The drama is basically re-watchable, specially the slap stick comedy scenes. It made me laugh out loud to see some of the casts who looks intense at first but becomes idiots the next second. Then there’s also the music. I really love how the Japanese industry inserts there OST into the whole series. It makes everything more colorful and sets off all kinds of feeling or mood depending on the scene.

There is still so much I want to say about this drama but I can’t really put it here due to spoilers, so if some is reading this and want to discuss or do not mind being spoiled, please do send me message. Over all, I am recommending this to those who are interested into Japanese entertainment and its history.
Kimi ni Todoke
Jun 9, 2012
I have been a Haruma fan after watching Bloody Monday. He always left me with the impression of a very refreshing guy and that goes the same way here in this movie.

Kimi ni Todoke is one of the sought out japanase manga these days. Even my cousin (who is an adult in his own right and definitely a straight guy) enjoyed this movie. He professed on watching the anime, while I read more opted on reading it since the manga production is much faster than that of the anime version.

As for the movie, like almost every Japanese film I’ve seen, it had a slow pacing at first until things build up to the point where you couldn’t stop watching anymore and just get totally hooked up. The story is very simple, boy likes girl, girl likes boy… we all know how teenage romance could get going.

What makes this movie different?

I would have to say that it’s Sawako’s character. In teenage romance stories, there are the usual girls who are the brassy type: loud, war freak or popular. There are those opposite characters as well: very quiet, aloof because she’s shy or because she has lots of family problems or was being abused in all kind of things or she’s plainly an anti-social person.

In Sawako’s case, (the protagonist in this movie) has a peculiar character. She has no family problem since she’s very much loved by her parents, she has no image disturbances only that she’s being usually mistaken as a curse giver thus the SADAKO nickname came about and she’s not poor either so financially she is stable. So basically she had no flaws when it comes to her personality background. So what’s so interesting about her? The protagonist is a misunderstood person. She gets ignored but not bullied, she tries to blend in and be friends with everyone but instead is feared upon. Sawako is actually a nice person but she just don’t know how to show it properly.

That’s where this bubbly Kazeha guy comes in. He alters Sawako’s tiny universe and thus the high school romance begin.

I would say the manga is more detailed when it comes to projecting how these main two characters feel. What they are thinking are made in tiny thought bubbles that cannot be used in the movie because that would just be weird.

Cinematography was very simple because the setting was always in the school grounds and yet the angles and perspectives gives out a bigger impact on the viewer. As for the soundtrack, it was synced in properly with all the scenes and the choice of music if very appropriate for a soft themed movie.
Kisaragi
May 13, 2012
A really funny movie starred by 5 outstanding actors including Oguri Shun. I can't help laughing through out the duration of the film.

Why? As the five characters slowly investigate among themselves the truth behind the death of their gravure idol during her 1 year memorial anniversary, they unfold each other's personal lives and connection with the dead idol. During this time, they are all cooped up in a small apartment formulating read more reasons as to what really happened before and during the time of their idol's death.

If you think this is a boring film, well watch the movie and think again. This isn't your average film full of talk, mystery and well… more talk. This is one of those films that would make you scratch your head in the beginning, then seat straight-look-forward-to-screen in the middle and finally say "So that's what happened" in the end.

Its very entertaining to watch not that their acting was over the top, it was simply perfect. Every character portrayed themselves so well. The way they analyzed each other, puzzled things together and draw a conclusion to each scenario... it was very smart and witty. There were flashbacks to give a better visual of the scenarios they come up with and that definitely helped in building up the story and make the unfolding of the mystery more fun. I give kudos to the writer of this movie who made everything interesting.

Cinematography wise, it wasn't much since the focus is more on each characters who are talking inside a small room and as for the music I wasn't able to remember it much but it did somehow help as a background to build up the mood of the film.

Recommending this to those who like watching films which are more on the conversation side with mystery and comic relief on the side lines. BTW, there's no other film that I could compare it with since I think… it is one of a kind.
Love Letter
Jun 9, 2012
It’s one of those very bittersweet films that you’d cry with and yet say… “Damn, that was such a beautiful film.” I said that and will say it again.

Love Letter was a beautiful film in a wonderful setting and great plot lines. Though it was confusing at first, it still gives you a slight thinking that it has a reason for being like that. Then once you get to understand what read more in the world is happening, you’ll get to unfold what it was all about and why.

The film was very simple, not too dramatic or mind boggling. It didn’t even have any CG effects in it but it will show you extremely good actors, great story in the back ground and a really nice soundtrack to come along with everything. It also has this softness that has melancholy written all over the story but the sweetness seeps in with everything until it’s late to realize that you’re caught up with the story and would want more.

This left me weeping at the end but made me feel good at the same time. It surely made me want to recommend it everyone.
Good Doctor
Dec 31, 2013
Good Doctor

The story line of this drama is quite peculiar – the fact that an autistic person could adapt fully and work in a hospital nonetheless is quite impressive because in reality it is unheard of.

The pilot episode had given me the impression that it was going to be a very promising drama, then by the end of the whole series I proved myself right. Although like any read more drama, Good Doctor has it high and low points along with loop holes. Due to the unbelievable premise, I say the writer was very much imaginative although farfetched for having such a plot. An autistic person basically has a lot of limitation but given the patience and perseverance to the people surrounding the person with a disability, it could be managed. Setting those thoughts aside, I love this drama because of the story and characters. It was like watching the movie Forrest Gump only in a clinical setting.

The main character Park Shi-on (acted by Joo Won) was such a lovable character. During the first few episodes, he may be an annoying autistic man who knows everything but after awhile his character grows on to you even his mannerisms become endearing… or maybe it’s just me because I find him really cute and funny? Anyyyywaaay… not to get side tracked, Cha Yeon-so (acted by Moon Chae-Won) is a woman with a strong personality. She has this tough exterior but deep inside she has a really fluffy heart which has a soft spot for our main lead.

I am not going to elaborate on that or else I might post unwanted spoilers. As for the supporting cast, they are essential in the series because they provide the substantial element of acceptance depending on the character's relationship with Shi-on.

Music wise their is nothing really memorable about it except that it adds to the drama.

Good Doctor may not be in my rewatchable list but it is very much in my recommended one. You don't have to be a medical literate to appreciate this drama because there are notes which would explain the terms & procedures. Over all it is a wonderful drama and it has exceeded my expectations.
Ma Boy
Oct 10, 2012
Watching this drama and rating it would depend on one's mood and/or liking.

In my case, I was in a mood for a low-key-rom-com drama which does not require me to think too much. Ta-da! Ma Boy was perfect. I couldn't help myself from smiling from one episode to another.

I may like the drama but of course it is far from being perfect. There are scenes that made me want to read more cringe and fast forward due to unnecessary airtime of mischief but since this is supposed to be a light story... I sucked it all in and enjoyed the whole show for what it could offer.

Be reminded that this is a high school gender bender story where Boy Dresses up as a Girl while Girl keeps his secret for him. It's light, funny and cute. Not to forget that the boy is really good looking and dances so well. Music wise, as per young k-pop idol themed drama - you already know what to expect... but wait! There's more.

The drama may be light but the characters has their own story to tell. Thus making this drama more interesting than what the plot line let's us perceive. I also like the fact that the young actors and actresses suits their role. Who wouldn't fall for the plain looking girl paired up to pretty boy scenario without the perfect casting? Even the mean trio of male/female fans for each idol was the right fit. I couldn't imagine anyone else being casted for the roles, including the main ones.

I am surely recommending this for those who's craving for something light, cute and funny to watch.
Alice in Wonder City
May 22, 2014
I'm quite a sucker classical music and this drama made it into one of my drama's "I must finish at once" list. Expect to have a lot of music all through out the episodes.

The drama had a lovely premise but it went all wishy-washy somewhere in the middle, loop holes popped up here and there into the story line because they tried to make the conflicts seem more complicated and instead read more it had dead ends or unexplained troubles which were left unresolved. Although this was the things I disliked about this drama, there were the perks of seeing my favorite character end up with the girl he likes. I'm not going to mention who it is because I wouldn't want to spoil it to prospect viewers but for me that is much of a happy ending and a drama with happy endings - works well for me BIG TIME.

As for the actors/characters, Aaron Yan has gone quite a long way and has matured from that role he had from "It Started With A Kiss". There was a really huge difference from his acting way back up to this drama and boy has he turned into a good looking guy! I like how he handled the complicated character of Ting-Yu. The seemingly bi-polar attitude, happy at times then all of a sudden angry and rigid. But when his character comes in contact with CJ which is acted by Jie Kai, Tung-yu's character seems to be more carefree and outspoken. Both actors had this awesome chemistry of being really good friends and they looked really comfortable on acting their characters.

The female leads on the other hand - I felt that they were slightly over shadowed by the male lead character, like for Alice - I know that the story is supposed to revolve more around her but it seems that her character was not written with a stronger conviction of who she really is. She was initially a nice girl, then suddenly a bad girl then gradually into the drama, she became a nice girl again then bad then nice again. It was sort of annoying that the writer didn't stick with a proper character for her. There was no sense of continuity. I know it was an act within an act, but there was not proper flow. It was too irritating to watch. As for Die Fei, there was so much potential in her character but the singing thing was like cropped out of no where. It was annoying how her story had to go in circle with Ting-Yu's, that everything she did was because of Ting-Yu and not basically about herself. She had to find herself because of the help of someone else, it's sort of sad. An awakening of a person's worth should not come from other people but from within. One thing I liked about her though was her voice, I swear it was like watching "Love at the Dolphin Bay" all over again and hearing Angela Zhang sing for the first time. My ears where momentarily in heaven.

I only wished the female's characters had stronger back bones - like the older one named Lisa. I loved her character in so many ways. It was rich and full of story and she had purpose in the first place. The actress gave justice to her role as well.

I have already re-played my favorite scenes with all the cutey stuff and musical stuff, so for me this drama is basically re-watchable. Hopefully, the story line won't be too disappointing - over all this series is not a waste of time because it stirred my heart and made me smile a lot.
Will it Snow for Christmas?
Jul 25, 2012
This drama, I have no idea why I took the liberty of putting it in my list of “To Watch” dramas for the year of 2009-2010. This is one of the most melodramatic drama’s I’ve seen for that year.

It have made me cry a bucket but it was all worth it. Having seen the show made my sense of Kdrama more diverse, since I tend to choose rom-com to genres like read more this. My heart is just weak like that, but this show made my threshold on tears much stronger… or so I thought until I saw Cinderella’s sister and 49 days. Heh.

This drama would always be dear in my heart because of the story line. It may sound unbelievable or ridiculous or even annoying for some because everything was such a mess. The main character’s past was so jumbled up that the future became dim for them. You would tend to watch and wait and watch some more, thinking, when would it ever stop?

Until one day, things would just fall into their proper places.

The ending wasn’t that satisfying for me but the whole journey of the drama was worth it. Once again, I got my mother crying out of this drama and she had to point her fingers at me "again" for doing so. I so love my mom when she does that but still continue on watching anyway.

Acting wise was superb, so maybe that’s what got me hooked after seeing the first episode.
Sakuran
May 13, 2012
When I first tried to watch this film, I was on my way home riding a plane and was 6,000 feet off the ground. 10 minutes through the film, I started to realize that it was rather a sexually explicit movie. My seatmates by the way were a bunch of old people. I was so embarrassed to find out that the movie I was watching was something not appropriate for the public read more eye. Ack!

Setting aside my embarrassment, I watched it at home again without any kids or grannies around.

To be honest, this was the first film that I have appreciated Ando Masunobu in. I've first seen him in "Synesthezia" with Aoi Miyazaki, but I didn't like his character there too much. Here in Sakuran I loved the way he acted as Seiji who was the "keeper" or "care-taker" of the Oiran, (the highest ranking female prostitute in the house) which was eventually transferred to Kiyoha (Anna Tsuchiya). I loved the way she played the hot headed TOP Woman. Even though she wasn't the Oiran yet, she already had the attitude of one. She was spunky and feisty for a woman who lives and breathes the life in a brothel. Though this was her role, her life as an Oiran in the making was bitter and sad, she's witty and beautiful but was kept in a container, thus her life is compared to a goldfish in a bowl.

The story was manga based, so it had a bit of a shoujou-ish plot line going on. Nonetheless, it was a great movie. The ending was just my taste, the setting was perfect and beautiful, as well was the over all cinematography. Everything was vibrant with hues such as red... red... and more red. I think that color has so much significance for this movie. It makes sense that the bright colors used for the film was very appropriate for its theme. The sound track was fit for the whole movie and it has caught my attention so much that I researched about the singer Shiina Ringo and discovered the band Tokyo Jihen, hence I now have the collection of their songs.

I have already re-watched this Movie several times and would re-watch it again in the future.
The Secret Message
Jun 12, 2016
The thing that I loved about this drama was the cinematography and visuals. It was so beautiful that I was able to overlook the cliche and lack of a good story line. Another thing that made it good were the actors. Ueno Juri was awesome as usual with how she's able to depict the emotion of pain, loss, trying to be happy and act normal despite her past. Choi Seung-hyun, on the read more other hand was a breath of fresh air in this drama. I am so used to seeing him as a bad-ass guy who either kills people or save them. Can't miss him in movies without a gun and a car. Here, he's got none of those two things. Even the serious look, because his character is quite dorky and passionate as a wannabe director. So those character roles are the closest I could get out of the drama to make it seem interesting. I could have cared less for the supporting cast since I feel that without them, this drama could still go on... except for Yoo In Ah. I simply have a bias for that actress, so I love the fact that she got to support Ueno Juri through out the series.

Music wise, it was okay... until the part where Seung-hyun rendered a song... and because of that, I'm giving this drama a plus point. That's something to look forward into the whole drama.

If you're looking for something that's easy and short to watch but not mind blowing, this drama is perfect for you. It has 18 episodes that runs at least 11 minutes each, then it's going to be a fast watch and not a total waste of time.

I won't be rewatching this anytime soon, but I will definitely look this up in the future if I want to be inspired with my photography. This drama is simply full of photo clips that are awesome.
Children of the Dark
Jan 26, 2016
This is one of those movies that gave me a perplexing vibe after I was through with it. For a film that was meant to have a collaboration of two countries namely Japan and Thailand, this was slightly controversial. First off, to show a country with its dirt about human trafficking, that’s already one serious issue to dwell on… then add the corruption of government officials at the side lines, well that’s read more like adding salt to the injury. Nonetheless, this was a great movie to watch, especially if you’re interested in ethical and social issues around the globe.

Eguchi Yosuke has always been a great actor and I’m glad he is able to reunite with Miyazaki Aoi on screen for yet another work or rather I should say a BETTER movie this time around. I have already expected top notch acting performance from both main actors including Tsumabaki Satoshi who is part of the supporting cast, and unbelievably they surpassed my expectation.

The plot line sound quite simple, a volunteer social worker meets with a journalist and they start working hand in hand to uncover and expose the crime behind the Human Trafficking to help the poor children who are caught in such a hideous crime. What makes this story interesting is that this event is actually happening in real life and by watching this, it raises awareness to other people in other countries. Then add to this the fact that the production setting and cinematography seemed so real in a sense that it almost looked like a documentary, that my heart broke every time I see the children being herded off to the unknown. Lastly, there is the script. The story line is awesome that it makes the whole movie a real work of art. Music wise, I couldn't actually remember much of it, but I would probably rewatch this in the future with some students to use as a tool for discussion on such issues.

I usually have the habit of predicting drama or movie endings, and usually I’m not mistaken, but when it comes to Yosuke’s films, I am always caught off guard. I had the same feeling when I watched Gimme Heaven’s ending which both main actors where previously in. It was so mind boggling and yet it did make sense big time. I'm really hoping more people will be able to watch this film and I am definitely recommending it.

inside Ikuta Toma's closet