kiera

Eternal Love
Mar 1, 2017
I made a vow to write a review immediately after the show ended and believe me when I say the emotions are still raw. Where do I even start? Eternal Love is such a compelling and beautiful piece I don't think I can find the exact words to describe it.

The story is brilliant in itself and I am honestly sure it did the book justice. I think if you're watching this read more without reading the book beforehand, you would love the show a lot more because you're watching without expectations plus either way, Eternal Love will blow you away (even if you're not a fantasy/xianxia/historical genre kind of person) Also, If you like The Journey of Flower, you will love this without a doubt.

Everything, every single thing is so stunning from the costumes, to the set and the cinematography. And the most beautiful part is, of course, their love story. The different clans coming together and all the magical elements and all are very interesting. I won't delve into the story too much because its pretty complicated but fear not, you will never be bored of it for a second.

The acting was spectacular. Yang Mi did a fantastic job as always. Although it was my first time watching Mark Chao, his character as either Mo Yuan or Ye Hua is so easily to fall in love with because he is that good at acting. Chemistry was flawless. A transparent love was beautifully portrayed; you could feel their love and pain and share their happiness. Kiss scenes are very good too. They're not exactly rough but tender and deep? I honestly did not expect so many kiss scenes because I was quite disappointed with the lack of intimacy in The Journey of Flower but you're blessed here :')

Every other character was very likeable having their own unique personalities. The other side characters and love stories are also super sweet especially Dong Hua's and Feng Jui's.

It seems like everything about the drama is perfect even its music is so apt. The entire OST is so enchanting played at right timings. The duet is so haunting which really gives Bai Qian & Ye Hua moments that goosebumps. So, so good.

The only problem I have (not with the drama) is that I hate misunderstandings that cause conflicts in a relationship which my heart cannot handle. Ye Hua and Bai Qian's relationship has many 'tragedies' that can really break your heart because they've been through so many tribulations caused by some side bitches but in the end, everything for this drama is worth it.

Rewatch it? Definitely. No qualms about it.

This is truly a masterpiece and I can safely say Eternal Love is my favourite C-Drama.
Addicted Heroin
Apr 22, 2016
Addicted was just amazing for me. Seriously, because there aren't that many BL dramas around, this was quite incomparable to anything else. The romance between the two main characters has so much more feeling compared to any other typical romance drama.

The story of Addicted is really quite ordinary but because i really loved high school romance & BL dramas, this was THE ONE for me.

The acting was superb i must read more say, their chemistry was indescribable even though they were both guys. One doesn't like to show his feelings and the other is the 'pursuer' so to speak, and their acting really just flowed with the characters.

The music wasn't anything memorable for me to write it on here but the opening song was very warm (?). I guess the music was appropriate when it had to be.

I loved Addicted so much that i rewatched it 2 weeks later. Its 20 minutes per episode and has 15 episodes so you don't have to think twice about watching it again.

Good BL dramas are hard to find but if you're a fan of BL and cute overprotective couple stuff then this is everything. And even if aren't a fan of BL, just watch it anyway, this is probably unlike any other BGR stuff. Watching this is heroin for you.
Ode to Joy
Mar 9, 2017
I was pushed to write a review for this after seeing a considerable amount of negative comments for it.
If you like a show that tackles real life issues and more mature topics with dashes of romance on side, I'd say Ode to Joy is pretty fitting.

The story of these five girls struggling to make the best of life is a very real situation so many people face that sometimes you read more can't help feel sorry for them or even realise you might be in the same position.
The five characters have been criticised a lot and cited as annoying/loud/boring girls who aren't interesting. While I agree with that on the most part, I think thats what makes the story a lot more realistic. In life, you meet people you dislike and like a lot more. In Ode to Joy, the girls don't click immediately. On the contrary, they bond more nearer the end when they are faced with their difficulties. And when I see all five of their clashing personalites overstepping their comfort zone to help each other, regardless if they are annoying or loud or boring, I can't help but love them all. you witness all their problems and demons firsthand whether they are rich or poor, smart or average.

Another thing I really like about this drama is that it also displays very raw human emotions and the thought process of each of the girls. Its just very fascinating to see how sensitive all the characters are to each other.

While the story isn't all that captivating, each of their life story is pretty entertaining to watch (sometimes, maybe not). Some characters you might find a little intolerable but empathise with them and you might see a little of yourself in all of them. I'd say the romance is a little bland but season 2 in my opinion, looks very promising for that part. The acting is alright, nothing very special but watchable.

I don't really rewatch my dramas so I wouldn't judge based on my rewatch value or any rewatch value for that matter.

In all honesty, Ode to Joy isn't a mind blowing, outstanding piece but what it is is a thought provoking show with a healthy dose of warm, sisterly love and romance and I must say that I am very excited for season 2.
Apr 23, 2016
Thank you was really heartwarming for me, its one that you watch with tears. The story of a young girl contracting HIV but still living life to its fullest touched the deepest part of me. The drama didn't explore the romance between the two main leads to the MAX but i thought the main focus should've been the relationship between Lee Bom and the people around her and the flow of the read more story executed that exactly. The second focus was also the transformation of Jang Hyuk's character from an arrogant, really asshole man into a more vulnerable and kind person. And its not entirely because of romance i might add, but rather the love he felt towards the child.

The acting was so much on par with their characters especially the actor that played Lee Bom. The feelings of any child finding out that she has an illness and that nobody would want to go close to her was portrayed flawlessly. The relationship between mother and child will tug at your heart because they are just that good.

In my opinion, the music wasn't memorable for me and i can't remember anything distinctively bad about it.

This is the kind of drama you would watch once and feel so sad while watching it that you wouldn't want to watch it after again. Its not that its not good or anything but you just have some dramas that are too painful to rewatch and this is one of them. Its the norm 16 episodes, 1 hour each so if you're really into it then its worth watching it again.

I can't imagine a child having to go through knowing she has HIV (she doesn't know at first) and having her friends, neighbours distance themselves away from her but this drama has so many strong feelings about that. Don't watch this for the romance but watch it for the very impactful story. If you like touching stories you won't regret watching this one.
Apr 23, 2016
The title of this drama really interested me and it was then that i researched about it and decided to watch it. The concept of migratory birds is really beautiful along with the 'best friend' love r/s thing. Basically this drama isn't all happy in that sense, it has its ups but a lot of downs where the two main characters face a lot of struggles in and outside their relationship as read more best friends and as lovers. There is a kind of a love square going on. Each main character has their 'other love interest' but they somehow always end up finding each other. I think the story starts off very mildly (because its on their school life relationships) and towards the last 5 episodes there is some tragedy and it'll show how she gets through it with the second male lead (Deng Lun)

The actors on the show aren't all that experienced and they had some bad NG moments but its not that bad either (watchable). I had major second male lead syndrome i don't know why but i felt that Liu Qian Ren was just so much more worth it than Pei Shang Xuan although he was quite an asshole at the start. Their acting has a lot of room for improvement but nonetheless its watchable :)

I really really liked the music they used although most times they were repeated and the opening song had some nice lyrics. But the instrumental was just very good for me.

I really wouldn't watch this again because its just not THAT amazing to spend another few hours on.

The story is original and creative but the way it was portrayed isn't what you'd expect it to be. Sometimes the scenes might make you cry (i did) or sometimes you might blow up on outrageous scenes/writing/acting. Like i mentioned, its not bad its watchable, go for it if you have nothing else to watch or feel like a rookie show with good looking guys.
The Mystic Nine
Mar 10, 2017
I really missed The Mystic Nine after I finished it. Its one of those dramas that you miss because you really want to see the warmth and 'brotherhood' of the cast and their respective characters again. After every episode, there's always a BTS (and a bit of product advertisement) of all the cast and it never fails to crack me up.

The story of The Mystic Nine to me is quite a read more boring one. I never really liked tomb mysteries and I still don't. Some parts of the story are intriguing and cool, some boring and complicated. But what I really liked is the few gates all plotting on how to take the bad guys down that sort of thing. I'm quite a sucker for 'friendship' shows and the bromance in The Mystic Nine is very good plus its not just between two guys but a couple of them which is really what kept me watching.

The romance in this is a bit of a meh, the love story between Ya Tou and Er Ye is pretty boring. The scenes between Xin Yue and Fo Ye is very cute though albeit not frequent enough. So if you're watching only for romance/ Zhao Li YIng x William Chan, don't bother. But the scenes are still cute.

The cast is great I would say. I think everyone suits their roles quite alright and I love all their characters especially Lieutenant Zhang and Ba Ye !!!!! The on set and off set chemistry between the entire cast is good in my opinion. Some of the acting is off (esp with the caucasian actor maybe it was his accent that annoyed me lmao) but nothing THAT offputting.

OST is not bad. Really like the opening song, I listen to it every now and then.

All in all, although the plot is a tad bit boring with complex situations, the bromance and friendship of most of the characters (Fo Ye, Er Ye, Ba Ye, Lieutenant Zhang and Xin Yue) are really heartwarming. And with all the quirkiness of Ba Ye, you'll have a few laughs here and there. So if you have some time with nothing to watch, consider The Mystic Nine. You might like it.

Singapore