Algernon Ni Hanataba O (2015) poster

Akki
Aug 22, 2015
The purpose of this review is, first of all, to encourage the sub team to finish what they started, for the sake of those who can't see the last 3 episodes without subs, and second, to let everyone know how beautiful and emotional this show is.
I'm writing this few moments after finishing the last episode, while crying still, so forgive me if I'm not 100% rational and non biased. I can say for sure that this is one of the most emotional dramas I've ever seen. It's a beautiful story about friendship, love, human value, ethics and morals.
Although it's a sci-fi show, it totally reflects reality and behavior of human beings under certain circumstances and shows pretty realistic relationships between 'non equal' humans. For those who like psychology, there is a great deal of it in this show as well. For those who like character development, strong emotions, all mixed together, this drama is 100% must see.
I have no heart to criticize anything about this show at the moment, because I feel like I just got off the roller coaster of emotions I will never forget. Good points are too strong to let me pay attention to the minor flaws, so I'll just finish positively, like I started.

I don't know if I will be rewatching this, it feels like I won't forget it so soon, so maybe sometime in the future, and I'm sure I will equally enjoy it.
Once again, I hope the subs will be done soon, because it's a shame not to let everyone enjoy this amazing show till the end. Subs for Algernon, he deserves it <3

amrita828
May 17, 2016
This is the kind of drama whose review needs to be written as soon as the viewing is over, emotions still raw and somehow sore.

Ironically, it had been sitting in my ptw list for a good year, waiting - so I thought - for me to be in the right mood for its somehow heavy subject. It came as a big surprise that this was the perfect moment and Algernon ni Hanataba wo is the show that finally reminded me why I fell in love with Asian dramas in the first place and became an addict so many years ago.
It enchanted me and pulled me into its world five minutes in. I hadn't even realized I was marathoning with bated breath until I exhaled.

The show is built on two different levels: the plot itself with its events and the story told by the characters. These two levels aren't of equal importance, that is, if you watch for the events it may disappoint you, as it suffers from the typical Japanese brevity and sudden, unexpected turns. However, this drama is meant to be valued for the thoughts it provokes and the way it does so, hence my perfect mark.

I won't lie, it made me cry. A lot.
This is a beautifully heart-wrenching story of diversity and the need to conform, be 'equal'. While most of us aim at being smart enough to earn more, have success in life and even wallow in our self-esteem, Sakuto dreams of becoming intelligent for the people around him to love him. This makes his journey all the more tragic, since it inevitably raises the question whether he was happier when only half cognizant of his surrounding or when he fully grasped the meaning of everyone's motivations and finds out that being a genius can be a sentence to loneliness. It also heavily probes on the benefits of intelligence when it's attained at the cost of humanity, empathy, compassion and even love.

I believe each single character in this drama has a precise purpose in terms of typecasting the different approaches to what is generally considered 'normal'. Here's a word I hate when referred to human beings, but it is the core of this tale, in its literal meaning of 'conforming to the norm'. This means that all the characters revolving around Sakuto find their justification only in connection with him, they represent the wide range of 'normality' as opposed to the extremes Sakuto's going to experience.

Which is not to say that they didn't act well. Quite the opposite: what fascinated me here is the fact that each actor played its part in a different way, according to his/her role in Sakuto's life. The same can be said about the direction, which plays a precise role too with its use of symbolism, archetypes, flowers, colours, camera focalization. Even Algernon is a great character. Tiny details are everything but irrelevant, a trait I always, highly appreciate.
And at the risk of being called biased, I maintain Yamashita's acting is impressive here. I was deeply moved by the sheer movement of his hand, the subtle, slow changes in stance, walk, gaze. I loved Sakuto as a viewer, as a woman, as a mother, as a sister, as a friend, to the point I desperately wanted to hug him and never let go. I could go on, but I'm becoming verbose and perhaps a little too emotional too.

The music is the only trait of the drama that gets a mere passing grade. I wish Japanese shows in general would put on their Osts the same amount of effort they spend on photography and characterization. The only song played here is very suitable to the story, but repetitive to the point of losing all its impact.

I've already rewatched many scenes soon after completing an episode. I simply couldn't help it. There's no doubt in my mind I'm going to re-watch the whole drama soon enough, certain it will lose none of its emotional impact on further viewing.

NekoMinSeo
Apr 24, 2016
Ok so let me be frank, I really liked Flowers for Algernon, so don't look down on this review only because I'm giving it a 6.5. Please let me develop first. My 6 equals a "fine", an "ok", something that goes beyond mediocrity, but that didn't manage to make use of the full potential and that partly managed to ruin my experience with it. However, Flowers for Algernon made me get really emotional despite everything, so i thought it deserves that + 0.5. I usually don't go out of my way to explain my rating this way, but in this case I think it was necessary. With this out of the way....

Story - 7 (Good)

I must be honest, this is actually my first J-drama and, while I know that Flowers for Algernon was adapted after an American novel with the same title, I think that Japan managed to give it a real emotional touch with how it managed to portray it. At first I was going to say that it was rushed, but then I looked back at it and it really isn't. The original novel has only more or less 300 pages, there was nothing else to say besides the main point of it: the life vision of a person affected by phenylketonuria,( or in common terms, a literally "stupid" person), as well as the people around him and questioning what would happen if this person suddenly became intelligent. What is the barrier between a stupid, a normal and a genius? Can these people get along with eachother or there will always be something that stops these people from caring for eachother and others that are different from them? I don't know how common this theme is in Japanese fiction (animes have a lack of these types of themes in general from my experience, I don't know about books or dramas), but I found it really refreshing from a general point of view; it's not something I usually encounter often in other mediums either.

I must start this with mentioning that in our lives, we tend to always be pushed to strive "normality". Society demands it. Most of us don't have a particularly high or low IQ, so sometimes what's common is accepted as "how things should be". But when you think of a person that is put in the position to not even be able to strive for that "normality" that connects most of us, then he or she is going to be treated as an outcast. No matter how one tries to change things, it has always been like that. Most people have a hard time to deal with people that are "different".: some think they're a bother, others don't know how to act, others just simply don't care. Flowers for Algernon is exactly about that.

However, while I can praise how it dealt with the topic on one side, some other times I don't think it did very well. While I understand that it tried to say that "being stupid" should be generally accepted (idealistically) and it's not a shame to have this problem, some other times it seemed almost selfish to say that. Maybe the point was exactly that: to leave that aftertaste, but it's a still difficult to deal with this topic and I don't expect it to manage to do it all perfectly. There will always be other stuff that you can say, other stuff that just don't always come right even if you never had any intention to make it sound bad. It's one of those touchy topics. So, I'm going to put up a disclaimer as well and mention that whatever I say in this review is not supposed to be discriminatory or offending or taken in any way other than what it is. Ok? Great! Moving on...

My main issue comes with the "side-stories" of this drama. I don't know if it's the thing of the actual novel too (someday I will read it and maybe come back here), but in the drama they looked almost like they tried to shove romance down my throat when it wasn't even remotely needed: Yanagawa and Mai were like that comic relief couple that were just there to talk about stuff and when it all ended, they weren't needed anymore. Hiyama and Rio were even worst with Hiyama getting this over the top, fast attachment to Rio after only seeing her 3 times in his life (believe me, being near a person in her condition is something difficult even for people that have been with that person for a lifetime. You can't tell me that a crush solves all that, unless Hiyama had this "hero" syndrome and felt in debt to mourn her when nobody else did). For me? They were both plot conveniences. Because they needed to do something for themselves, only for drama to be able to say "see? they have feelings! Now feel bad for them!".

The main couple quite annoyed me as well. I don't care that Sakuto is a really handsome guy, I would never be able to see him as a man, in a sexual way, after having to deal with him when he was "stupid". And if that sounds discriminatory, again, I'm not trying to be. I sometimes WORK with these people too and from my experience, i would never be able to look that way at a person that I'm taking care of as a mother and as a teacher. Or if I could, then definitely not as fast as it happened in this case. So again, though subjective, I felt like this romance was needed only as plot convenience for "feel bad for me even more!". Sure, it worked, it was really sad, but not as sad as it could have been if they kept the "motherly" feeling of the relationship only. But it was still nice how it tried to say that love and kindness doesn't always solve everything, despite being Sakuto's main philosophy. Life is just not that easy and it can't turn well for everybody.

Characters - 6 (Fine)

Besides Sakuto, Sakuto's mom and Hachisuka, I can't really praise anybody else. From this point of view, the drama was lacking. Maybe I can't even praise Sakuto till the end, but Sakuto is simply "Sakuto". There was nothing else to say.

Who impressed me, however, was Hachisuka. He is an ambitious man that started off by treating everybody as his tools towards success. A genius that arrogantly thought was above everybody else because of his intellect. But ultimately, there's no barrier between a genius and a stupid, not if you let it be one. Hachisuka realized that sometimes love is enough, letting go and giving up is sometimes needed and expected. It's no shame to give up, never too late to stop what you realized as wrong. His last scene, with the team accepting everything and going back to him despite him thinking he had enough, was simply very well executed and emotional.

As for the others, welp, I personally had a soft spot for Yanagawa, but not anybody else. Hiyama and Rio? Didn't really care, though I did like Hiyama in the beginning. I just thought he didn't grow as a person as well as he could have and it all revolved around Rio's condition way too much. Mai? Who even is Mai? Haruka? Eeh, I guess? Haruka was selfish till the end to me. Can I blame her? Not really. In her own way she was also one of the characters that maybe grew up the most, but just fails to impress. She doesn't have a breakthrough, she just goes with the flow, stubbornly holding to her own believes, sometimes selfish, sometimes rightful; it might be subjective from me that in the end i was kind of "meh" about her.

But going back to Yanagawa? I might have fallen for Kubota's charms here, but he seemed to be a more roundabout character than most, even if it doesn't come out as that. We didn't really have a solid background besides a mention, he didn't have a very important role and sometimes he doesn't even appear a lot, but everytime he does, I thought that it mattered. I felt like he was that normal person we needed to relate to and that he was useful in order to set the bar to what's "normal" between all those "differences". Let me explain. If Algernon-Sakuto represented the "genius" and Sakuto represented the "stupid", then Yanagawa represented the "average". Yanagawa was always that model of "normality" that Sakuto always yearned for, but both Sakuto and Algernon-Sakuto were never able to feel that "normality". Also, while Yanagawa used to use Sakuto, maybe not always with good intentions, once he was faced with the reality of it, he couldn't just pretend the issue doesn't exist, though he was painfully aware of his inability to do anything about it, because he was an "average person". He finally was able to feel what Sakuto felt for all his life: incompetence, not being able to do anything even when you desperately want to.

And then, I must speak of Algernon. Some of you might not even consider him a character, but this mouse just played with my feelings way too much. Maybe because he's just an animal, maybe because it was just portrayed in a very bittersweet way, but he was the character that I cherished the most. Like Sakuto, i thought Algernon was not just a mouse. He was a main character and shouldn't be ignored or forgotten.

Acting/Cast - 7 (Good)

I was initially almost looking down on it because I thought Japanese acting was kind of over the top for me, but in this drama it wasn't. it really wasn't.

I have some minor issues with Yamapi's acting as Sakuto, but I can't really blame him. it was a tough role and he didn't really fail, which is still commendable. He wasn't afraid to look funny or like an idiot and this is everything it was about, so i still praise him. Then, yes, Kubota is a very charming actor. He might not be the best, nor the most handsome, but he has that "something" that impressed me.

Music - 4,5 (Bad to Average)

Repetitive. The main song was pretty, sure, but everything was overall repetitive and very limited.

Overall - 6.5 (Fine to Good)

I suffer for the wasted potential when it comes to the execution of it. Story-wise, it did everything that it could do (if we don't count the side romances), but I can't not penalize the feeling of dread that I felt through episodes 6 to 8. It was almost painful to go through it and when it was all over, I didn't feel accomplished. Like "Yeah, this was one great story. One great drama that I'll always remember,". Nope. I just couldn't. I know that I'm not going to forget it because of the themes and it because it's my first J-drama, but it's also true that it didn't really leave me too emotionally attached. And that counts in the long run. Am I being too severe with it seeing everything that I have wrote? Probably. But this is also why I wanted to explain my rating; it was very subjective in the end. I wanted something more and I didn't get it and that reflected onto it. But don't think of it as a bad rating or a bad drama, on the contrary, it was so good, that it just couldn't help but not being able to match up to everything happening around it.
Do I recommend it? Definitely. There are not "but"s and "if"s. Just watch and see for yourself, then judge for yourself and maybe, just maybe, you'll be able to see the world with different eyes.

Emma124
Sep 11, 2015
Love the story plot. I was stuck on what I wanted to watch next after watching my last drama and I ended up on this drama. Yamashita Tomohisa was in it too. Love his acting. In this drama you will expect romance but I guaranty you there will be romance but you won't care that much about it. Yeap, that's how good the story is. I love the way they actually portray friendship. It makes you realize that life is actually simple, it's just that we're the one making it difficult.
This story was just beautiful and I loved Yamashita Tomohisa acting, he did a good job when he changed and make us still miss that little kid in him. Kubota Masataka and Kudo Asuka were also good. The rest of the cast were okay.
I would have given this drama a 10 if only I was able to finish the whole drama in English sub. I finished the Japanese version but I wish could understand everything in detail. Even in that version I loved the ending.
It's worth trying. Beautiful drama!

Luly
Mar 10, 2016
I watched this drama and 5-ji Kara 9-ji Made back to back and decided to write their reviews back to back as well. One of them I wasn’t expecting much of but ended up loving a lot and the other one I was super excited for and didn’t really like very much. Algernon ni Hanataba o was the first kind.

I’ve been watching Yamapi’s career for years, I am a fan of his in general but I am also the first to admit that he isn’t at all versatile when it comes to acting, especially compared to other people from his agency like Ikuta Toma or Ninomiya Kazunari. Still, one of the first dramas of him I ever saw was Nobuta wo Produce and I’ve seen throughout my years watching dramas that even people who openly dislike Yamapi would admit that his acting in Nobuta was memorable and good. Still, that’s not the kinds of roles he ends up with. He’s more often the serious, attractive male love interest and very less frequently a lovable goofus, but his dramatic roles tend to be limited to some of the same categories. I honestly feel Algernon gave him a role that really pushed Yamapi in the right way (not in the physical almost unhealthy way that Ashita no Joe did). This is, for me, one of the best (if not the best?) performances Yamapi has ever done. It shows him in different stages of cognitive behavior, not just in two extremes but in a swift transition between one stage of the cognitive spectrum to another one much farther away from it, and his body language is much more detailed and recognizable than I’d expected. There’s a lot of emotion in this role and his chemistry with his co-stars, especially with Hagiwara Masato, Kubota Masataka and Kudo Asuka (all of them also doing an outstanding job), is on point.

The cinematography in this drama is very beautiful, but not without a reason. The drama has to be visually sensitive because that’s what Sakuto was more attracted to. Shiny, bright and colorful things caught his eye easily and connected his memories together (balloons, earrings, flowers, all charged with symbolism) and, when they became too emotionally overwhelming, also become foggy to the viewer. Memories are bright and pastel-toned, with blurry details and sharp focuses on objects or gestures rather than faces.

Then there’s the details. Allusions to Klimt, of all painters, who used a palette of golds and brights and colorful jewel-like tones, to discuss life and death. The use of The Rose as a main song, which not only connects with another story of emotional and mental pressure but with something that ties in at the very end. The presence of flowers from the very start, as also a metaphor for a character's condition as well as the sensorial effect they represent. There’s a lot of stuff that invites a second watching.

This is a story that has been told before. In different ways and media, with different outcomes and cast, so it’s not much about what you say but how you say it. You need a cast that can emotionally convey, a cinematography that helps tell the story and details that make you want to watch it again. To me, this drama has all that.

Mar 1, 2019
Algernon Ni Hanataba O is a drama with a touching story. The first part was really good and the main character was lovable. That part made you want to watch more, to see where the story was headed. The second part, however, was kind of boring. The plot fell in the cliche romance trap and most of the twists were predictable. At least, the ending was realistic and, for me at least, it suited the drama and brought the story back on track. The performances, moreover, where exeptional. So, six out of ten, because the second part was not as good as the first part and the romance was a bit off.

clic-clac
Jun 17, 2018
I had been avoiding ANHO for a long time because I'd read reviews and many said that they cried watching it, and I surely wasn't in the mood for anything heavy and sad. However, I wound up watching it because of my mom and I can say we both genuinely enjoyed it.

So I'm going to review it from my point of view, but also my mom's because she's pretty new to Asian dramas and it's interesting to notice someone completely new to it slowly understanding and accepting all aspects of asian dramas as they come.

So story- Oh it was great! And I'm saying this not only because it has substance and material but because we(my mother and I) were completely immersed in the episodes, being vocal about our agreements and disagreements with the story and discussing things amongst ourselves as it progressed. I was really expecting a cliché story where Sakuto transforms into a super genius instantly after the surgery and everyone's shocked and in awe and he learns what it means to be 'human' in the following episode and ends on 'five years later' where we are shown Sakuto and the female lead married with a child on the way and Sakuto using his genius to cure cancer and all that jazz. However the story didn't do that in the traditional way, it progressed gradually giving us viewers explanations and reasons for everything that was going on, specially with Sakuto. I was thankful for the other characters and their side stories too, as much as I love yamapi I wouldn't want to just watch the main leads ALL the time in an episode so I felt like the side characters brought the much needed break I needed from time to time for the titular characters and all that science stuff!

I love stories like an 'alien visits earth', 'some kind of creature starts living among humans', 'robots living with humans' and what have you. It's fun to see a supposedly non-human entity conform to the lives of humans, feel feelings, learn about the depths of existence but I sometimes feel 'being human' is romanticised way too much in such films. Like all these non-humans are in awe of how humans feel and do stuff...and it's such a big deal when they cry for the first time and realise that life is bitter sweet. Ughh... Life ain't always pretty and being sad isn't fun when you're struggling day to day to work or study or just live a decent life, with a million emotions we humans have. So it was nice to see for a change how this character developed along the way. There weren't too many unnecessary tears or romantic, cringey dialogues about the pain and joy of being simply...."human".

Acting- Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Yampi. I've watched many of his dramas and I love his eyes, although some have called them dead fish eyes, which they kinda look like at times lol. Up until now his acting seemed passable... it wasn't anything extraordinary but I didn't find it monotonous either. But Yamashita as 'Sakuto' really impressed me. I 'believed' in his character. Before his transformation into a genius I couldn't stop talking about how cute he was, pure, like a child..like someone you wanted to protect from this big bad world. And after his transformation a genius, arrogant yet naive...just learning everything he's missed until now. Yampi did a really good job. The other characters were amazing as well. I must say though, the love story in this drama didn't really move me. I don't know if it was the circumstances surrounding these characters, or the chemistry(or lack thereof) amongst the actors or what. Everytime they appeared together on screen, I did feel like they cared for eachother, but it just seemed like friendly, platonic love and care and not romantic, genuine love. So the love story part of it had no effect on me. I really like how they dealt with the theme of friendship.

The music was okay I guess, nothing that stuck to my mind after I finished watching.

How could I forget Algernon, he was an adorable little mousey. Ofcourse he doesn't speak or anything but inspite of that Algernon's role in the plot is undeniably significant, as the very title of the drama suggests. Algernon was like an indication to everything that was happening or going to happen to the male lead and you could literally compare them and gain a better understanding of what was going on.

All in all, it was a great drama! The acting was good, the story engaging, did pull at my heartstrings a few times and turned my mom into a Yampi fan! I'd definitely recommend this drama.

Erin
May 16, 2016
This drama surpassed all and any expectations I had; I laughed, I worried, I got angry, I cried, I sympathized, I hated, and I loved. The acting talent, skill, and personality, and uniqueness that Yamashita Tomohisa possesses is marvelously portrayed throughout this series; as is Kubota Masataka and Kudo Asuka. Don't get me wrong... the entire cast is fantastic, but, Kubota Masataka and Kudo Asuka and Yamashita Tomohisa just stuck out to me more so. I encourage anyone and everyone to watch this series. This review is my shortest only because I do not want to risk spoiling this superb, spectacular, wonderful drama.

Zerox0
Aug 31, 2019
To be dumber for a day or To be smarter for a day

Which would you choose?

Obviously, I would guess that the majority would have chosen the latter...

but, what if you had to sacrifice something important, something precious for it... are you still willing to take a risk?

Everyone wants to be smarter, it's normal. But what happens when you become too immersed in accumulating knowledge?

Sooner or later, you start to neglect the people around you, just as depicted in the show.

An epiphany, where you begin to think you have risen beyond human comprehension.

In the show, Sakuto was born a fool, and everyone treated him that way. But just like everyone else, he had a goal; something he wanted to achieve. Some might say that his goal is impossible for someone like him, and under normal circumstances, it would be the truth. But the show tells us what happens when a chance, a miracle is given to him, allowing this dream of his, to come true. While he's getting smarter, he's also losing something that he has yet to realize or come to understand: his emotions. Rather than seeing things from the fools point-of-view like he used to, he's come to realize that his so-called "friends" were just using him. He begins to see the people close to him for who they really are and not what he perceives them as.

To become smarter is something that we all would want. But what we fail to realize, is that depending on how we use that accumulated knowledge, it is nothing but a double-edged blade.

But, the previous Sakuto had something important, something that even some people do not have: his pureness.

Because he sees the world in the eyes of a kid, he does not have the negative emotions that we teenagers, adults, and elderly, have experienced. And even if he does experience those emotions, he doesn't suppress nor repress them, rather, he cries, just like a kid.

This show taught me that: if you do not know something, then you don't have to worry about it.

Just like the foolish Sakuto, he didn't know anything, therefore, he didn't have to worry about anything.

Spydy
Apr 15, 2019
I am really confused after watching this drama. Like what is the point of the drama? Why everyone want to sacrifice everything for the daughter of the rich businessman? And the end? Ugh. I want my 10 hours of my life back, like seriously. Ok let's get to the point. I'll start with the negative first:
1. Why Yamapi? Clearly Sakuto's character is too big for his. His acting made me cringe every time, esp when he was still "stupid". When the drug work (later episode), he is back to his comfortable spot as a "cool" kid.
2. All characters beside Sakuto, Haruka, and the bad Doctor guy seems redundant and have no impact whatsoever. At first, I thought Hiyama Kousuke character will have some meaningful impact to the overall story as he was the only one had a solid background, but as the story progress, he was disappeared as a background. And the 2 girls (koide &kawaguchi)? Why they even exist?
3. Ending? sucks. I really felt that the ending is one of the worst endings I have seen so far. And to be honest, I don't feel the connection of good friend between Sakuto, Yanagawa, and Hiyama at all. Esp Sakuto character was portrayed as an ass after he became clever. I mean after he became clever basically he just becomes Haruka lover's and ditch all his friend! Like, come on dude. He treated his friend worse than his friend ever treats him. But amazingly, in the end, Hiyama and Yanagawa somehow are willing to leave everything behind to be with Sakuto? And haruka, who convinces everyone that she loves sakuto did nothing when sakuto leave her? I guess she only like clever sakuto, huh?
4. Slow paced drama. Since the material & story is not a lot to begin with, you will feel that the story progress really slow in the middle. I almost gave up 3 times after episode 3.
5. Casting? I like most of the actor except Yamapi and Tanimura. I knew these people can act, but sadly they just dont have enough material to shine. I feel the MVP of this drama is the Ishimaru Kanji, His character development definitely is the most interesting compared to other including sakuto. And he can act!

Positive:
1. Tear jerker drama. If you like heart-wrenching story you should watch this.
2. Music was OK-ish. nothing special not bad either.
3. Sorry but i can not find anything else.

LydiaR
Nov 17, 2016
I watched this drama a while ago and I fell in love with it. It had me crying several times. If you're looking for a drama that will make you cry, laugh and feel so many emotions, this is the drama for you!
Melitta
Apr 22, 2017
I think "Flowers for Algernon" is REALLY worth watching. I love the acting, especially the main character Yamashita Tomohisa. He is a really good actor and I love how he managed to do the role so GOOD. I think the plot is very good, It´s about how he wants to become smarter but he can´t because of his condition. I love the way the main character is so peaceful and wants to make friends with everyone and is so innocent.
There are of course complications and REALLY good stuff happening in every episode that made me wanna finish the series in one day. I really wish there would be a second season or an extra episode to see what happens next, it ended pretty good but I want to know what happens next. I love when the main character gets hurt (which happens in most films) because I love to see others reaction to it. Well, there is of course betrayal in the movie and friendship and of course love.
The thing I didn´t like was the part where he fell in love, but that´s just my opinion. I don´t like when the main character falls in love, It kind of makes the series less interesting for me. But it´s still SOOO worth watching!!!