Remember – War of the Son

jangdonqwoo
Feb 18, 2016
If I could summarize the whole story in one sentence, it would be a sadistic story that really plays with your emotions.

Story: Is there a love story in this? Yes, but it's not the main focus of the story. I thought a love story was unnecessary, because the main focus was Jin Woo fighting against a hugely corrupted company / judicial system that falsely accused his dad, which I thought was 10x better.

This story is depressing, melodramatic, and I experienced a lot of moments where I was frustrated with the writers for making the story so sadistic and sad. But this frustration did not prevent me from enjoying the show; every episode was thrilling, intense, and played with my emotions wholeheartedly. There is so much satisfaction when you see injustice turn into justice and how the downfall of the villain is executed. There is always something happening in every episode, and I thought the story was well paced for a show with 20 episodes

Acting: I feel like in this case everyone's perspective on each character will be different based on your own morals, preferences, etc, but I found the cast to be amazing, but a little frustrating to watch as I questioned some of the characters and their significance to the story

Major props to Nam Goong MIn as the evil guy, he really knows how to make the audience's blood boil. I enjoyed Park Sung Woong as Dong Ho, not only did I love his Busan accent, but he is a very rational character that knows what's right and what's wrong, regardless of how the show/audience portrays him. To be honest, I found Seung Ho's character kind of annoying due to his stubbornness, but he is very passionate and ambitious. Park Min Young's character is very civil and determined, and at the same time she also was Seung Ho's emotional support. I felt the chemistry between Seung Ho and Min Young was amazing, but not in a romantic way at all.

Music/Overall: I haven't really payed attention to the music cause the opening theme song kind of overpowered the rest of the tracks and it constantly plays in my head (LOL), but pretty decent OST collection.

I am giving this a 9 for minor reasons (love story, over usage of flashbacks, frustration of characters, etc.), but If you like thrillers, want to take a rest from all those romance dramas, and cry from sadness you should definitely give this a chance.

Elizabeth
Jun 22, 2016
If I could summarize this drama in one word it would be this: painful. This drama is SUPER sad so prepare a box of tissues or you'll end up getting tears everywhere. If you're looking for a drama that is realistic and sad to watch then I wholeheartedly recommend this, but if you don't like watching realistic dramas, this one's not for you. That being said, lets get to the review!

Story: This story is very well written even though it does have some typical kdrama elements in it but I really appreciate how there are no plot holes and the pace is quick. A lot of people don't like the love story in this but I think it's refreshing. I don't think I could make it through this drama without some refreshing breaks LOL. I really like the character developments and I don't think In Ha is unnecessary in the drama. It's nice to see the main character have someone to rely on (thats a girl ofc lol). One thing though, the ending could have been tweaked a little better.. well I wanted some magical cure for Alzheimers but its okay I understand lol.

Acting/Cast: Min Young, as always, was great and she did a really good job portraying In Ha as Jin Woo's supporter and noona. Seung Ho as Jin Woo was amazing, I'm in love with his acting. Everytime he cried I cried and everytime he smiled I smiled. His acting is splendid and I'd like to see him as a main role in more dramas :) (happy dramas lol). P.S. he's super handsome so thats a bonus haha. Nam Goong Min as Nam Kyu Man (wow so close... a coincidence I don't think so? haha) was AMAZING as a villain. He really portrayed all sides of the villain. Kyu Man spends his whole life pleasing his father and you can really see that and his anger issues are extreme. I'd have to say he definitely did an awesome job at giving this character dimension. Kyu Man's sister was okay, nothing special about her & lastly Park Dong Ho's character was amazing. His Busan accent and his acting was very good.

Music: what? there was music? lol srry I was too busy crying...

Rewatch Value: yes. definitely. a gem. but I won't watch this when I'm depressed LOL

Overall: overall I definitely wholeheartedly recommend this drama to anyone who wants a sad, realistic drama. This drama is very realistic because in reality the rich really do overpower the poor. I watched this drama for the cast and I was not disappointed. Awesome cast and great storyline.

Charming92
Feb 19, 2016
Remember was one of those shows that will make you grind your teeth out of frustration due to what is happening. At the same time you will be glued to your screen to see what happens next. It was a wonderful journey, a very well-thought story, that was greatly executed and heavenly acted!

STORY
The base idea of the story is the constant struggle of average everyday people, against the higher, powerful, rich people who think they can get away with anything. We have a kind, average man who is being framed for a crime he didn't commit. Of course, he gets convicted as he is up against those people who have consealed their crimes with their wealth. In this story, his son decides to take action and seek revenge on behalf of his parent's innocence. Hence we get the base concept of the story which is revenge. The base concept isn't anything groundbreaking imo, i mean, how many revenge dramas are out there, but the idea behind it of the rich people and the power of truth was unique indeed and flawlessly delivered!

I found the first 4 episodes really amazing and thrilling. Sadly the pace of story, even if it was always interesting, it felt rather slow, and this is the main reason i cannot give this a higher score than 8.5 even if it actually deserves it. We get several law cases, that are linked somehow to the base story, but serve little to no purpose most of the time, and they could have been avoided. At the same time, the constant struggle of the main character who has all the right in the world, but still is treated like a germ, and was constantly the losing party of the story can make anyone angry and frustrated at what is happening. However, the writters took a realistic decision here, i mean it is public knowledge that rich and powerful run this world, and this was perfectly depicted here. The drama was a perfect reflection of our fucked up society and gave a great life lessons like 'The truth will shine in the end if you fight hard enough'.

Whenever i was watching the drama i had the same though circling around my head 'MONEY vs CONSCIENCE', which one is more important to you? Which one will win? What type of person are you? Can you be bought? Is money really worth it?

I saw people asking if this involved any romance, i don't understand the question, there is no 'romance' tab added in the main page, but anyway. Yes, there is romance but it is way in the back, insignificant really, and that was a good thing because sadly, the main actors, even if they did a wonderful job acting-wise, they had no romantic chemistry.

ACTING
The acting was, most-definately, the best part of the drama, by far!

I came here originally for Yoo Seung Ho, and he was as amazing as expected. I think his crying is the best crying i've seen in kdramaland, he looks great while crying, it comes naturally to him, effortless really. His strong scenes were really something, his emotional scenes were even better, and he delivered every time! He was an exquisite leading actor, he did justice to his character, and lived up to all the expectations. I am looking forward to seeing him the future.

However, even if i came for YSH, Man Gung Min stole my heart completely. He exceeded my expectations, his character was the most essential and important one for the story to make sense and not be ridiculous. He blew me away many times. His acting sent shivers down my spine. He was a complete lunatic, amazing facial expressions, to the point of overacting but still a person this crazy tend to over-do everything! His body expressions were also flawless. Luscious performance, heavenly acting! Really, my words aren't enough to express how great he was, best actor in this! The drama is basically worth watching to watch him. Amazing performance in every way.

Another surprise was Park Sung Woong. I am not sure why i was surprised by him, i didn't know him before this, his performance was amazing, sensuous, emotional. I don't know Korean, but i was taken away because of his rather peculiar pronnounciation, or the way he spoke, i don't know how to explain it, maybe it was just me. His acting felt rather unique to me. An overall great performance, and another actor i will follow from now on.

Park Mi Young. I read a lot of people had problems with her performance, i didn't. She wasn't amazing, but her character was so insignificant, she felt like the groupie of the main hero character. She was there just to support, nothing else. The story could have worked without her. I understand the importance and power of support in situations like this, but still. I guess every story needs a female lead, and for the purpose she was placed in the story, she did great!

RECOMMEND/REWATCH
I've seen many people dropping this, i don't understand the reason. I mean, this is a melo, what do you expect? Happy people running in corn fields with their hair untagled...? o.O This is a revenge melo, frustration and anger are a given. If you are a melo fan i think you will appreciate this a lot. It wasn't the excessive tear-jerker i was expecting it to be. I get sentimental with dramas very easily and i didn't shed a tear here. Borderline, this is definately recommended to melo fans, and definately worth a watch.
I wouldn't rewatch it though, the fact that it was infuriating combined with the fact that it was slow, doesn't make this essential for re-watching, at least not to me. Definately worth a watch though.

Dropped 20/20
Gio
Aug 23, 2016
Dropped 0
Remember is a typical drama with farfetched storylines and cringe worthy overly tragic acting.
There is not a single moment where you could believe what is happening might be realistic, as the drama continuously resorts to all the possible cliches to develop both the characters ( the perfect and pure poor family, the evil Ceo, the righteous but naive heroine, ...) and the plot ( typical blackmailings, betrayals, last minute confessions, sudden repentances). All with the usual liter of tears.
There is no need to say that the court setting is not treated as a specific field worth of investigation and capable of generating interest per se ( as should be in any good drama or movie dealing with a specific professional environment), but rests as the background for a revenge story that would have worked the same way in any other context.
What you get in the end is a collection of stereotipical scenes drawn up only to have an emotional impact on the viewer based on very simple patterns, without any ambition to induce an intelluctual reflection.
You could argue that this is what most dramas do, and in this respect Remember is not worse than many.
The music is the icing on the cake of the aforementioned scenes, overly dramatic, repetitive and annoying.
The only bright note is Nam Gung Min acting, wich I find quite compelling in his portrayal of the evil antagonist, similar to what has done Yoo Ah In in the movie Veteran.
The general quality of the production is on par with what you can see on 2015 Korean television, so in the end if you are not particularly picky you can whatch this show without particular problems, but not if you are fed up with the ordinary and you are looking for something more.

DoHani
Feb 19, 2016
Overall:
I just won't give it a 10 because haters gon' hate (nah, jk. XD). As I stated on my profile, I rate a show basically by how entertaining it was and by entertaining I mean how it touched me.
As I complained here many times, Seungho's dramatic skills are lacking in my opinion and only once did he manage to really pierce right through me and if you watched the show you know exactly which moment I mean - I won't spoil anything here. There are many minor plot holes but those are everywhere. There is no perfect plot but here's for trying. The ending wrapped it up according to my expectations and even better so that's what defined my score alright.

It was nothing new. I feel like the writers threw in hyperthymesia to make it look fresh but it's just another story about the rich and powerful outweighting the poor and weak by obstruction of the law and what not. What's the problem? None. I don't see why there would be one. Remember brings out the true face of things because that's how it usually goes on the real world - there are no heroes. Bummer. Whoever signs the check rules it all. Whatever brings me a good fight against that reality is worth watching, I'd say. Then again we have unnecessary clichés and a pseudo romance that just doesn't go down my throat - it's wrong all over. No matter how I love those two - the actors - the lack of chemistry is HUGE and unbreakable and only made me scrunch my face.

Acting:
Apart from Seungho's puppy behavior that didn't sell me the drama and that talking mannequin they picked to play Gyu Man's sister, everyone else did a great job and I have no complaints about them. But let me just... how does a character that goes on the poster be represented by a worthless actress that almost, ALMOST, spent the entire drama being worse than useless? If she had any more screentime I would've puked because damn... a hedgehog can do a better job. I'm sitting here wondering why the heck she's on the poster. How the heck did she make it in the cast to begin with! At least a dozen other characters had more relevancy to the main plot than she did, c'mon!

Perfect choices made. I barely pay attention to music unless it's exceptional and the OST had me completely involved.

Rewatch Value:
I'm biased about the theme, I fell in love for Dong Ho (and PSW), I love NGM's acting... I just have no reasons NOT to rewatch it someday soon.

I could go on and on and on about all the little plot holes I previously complained about while watching but I don't want to repeat myself. Remember is going to my fave list in the end and is a great drama to watch that will not make you sigh and squeal (this isn't a rom com so get out) but will touch a series of other emotions and I highly recommend you leave your comfort zone for this. The writters sinned here and there but it's all easy to overlook when you see the greater picture. I can never understand some people acting like snob cinema experts anyway...

On a side note: This is the first airing drama I followed up close from beginning to end and I feel odd now that it's over. I was so present here, discussing with other members about it and I shall remember (no pun intended) this forever. Now I really need a drink...

DanielleLee
Feb 19, 2016
This is my first time writing a review. So I apology ahead of time if its not to your liking. But this show was one of the best I have ever watched and I have seen a lot of kdrama. I have a tend to get bored pretty quickly so I've never been able to fully watch a series.

So when I finished all 20 episodes and even waited for some episodes to get subbed and come out. Was really a surprise for me. I can say the this one is a tear jerker and has a great plot and story. It was really beautiful. So if you decided to check it out I highly recommend it and to try to watch till the end. You won't regret it I surly didnt .

I never really seen much of the main actor in other kdramas but I can say his a acting was terrific to watch him act never seen such wonderful acting before. I mean there was a lot of great actors before but his is the first one that had such a great impact.

efflorescenteloquence
Feb 20, 2016
The music in the drama is beautiful and thrilling and keeps you on the edge of the seat, since the 1st episode I've been longingly awaiting the end to get a hold of the instrumentals of the OST.
Dislikes:
**The portrayal of the health disease was particularly inaccurate and made me feel like the character honestly just got the worst of everything, it was rare placed upon rare placed upon impossibilities.
**It was difficult to watch the seemingly neverending cycle of defeat on defeat.
**the earlier episodes I had trouble connecting with the lead and his placement of emotions, but, later on, he did fantastically.
**the romance although I could understand the reason for it being there, didn't
Likes:
** the opening theme was my favorite I would replay it over and over while waiting for the episode to load.
**Park Dong Ho was by far my favorite character in the drama, there was just something about him, from the way he walked to his accent, to his style and especially to the way he told truths in his eyes alone.
**Nam-Gyu Man was incredibly charismatic, and for such an evil and ruthless character the writer made you ultimately feel his inner pain.
**Yoo Seung Ho grew so much, I still remember when I first saw him he was so young, he did wonderfully in his first lead role after military
**It gave you a realistic portrayal of life. It wasn't your usual ending where everything was finished and solved. It was bittersweet and open.

Overal:
After I finished the series I felt like I lost someone dear to me, For the past 3 months I was anxiously awaiting every Wednesday and Thursday, and it almost never failed to deliver. The music was incredible and I'm just waiting for the full ost to come out so I can download to my heart's content. Although the show wasn't flawless, It kept to the original story and the truth won.

CorinaCynth
Apr 19, 2016
I can easily say that this is one of the most emotional dramas I've watched until now. I loved it!

Story: I've always had a thing for lawyers dramas, I don't know why. Maybe because everyone seems so confident and determined? I don't even know for sure. But "Remember" is something different. I love how the main character is portaited in a more realistic way than the others. He may look confident, but inside he is just as frightened as any normal human being would be in his position. But even so, he won't ever give up on his purpose; he won't ever give up on being brave.

Acting/Cast: The cast is amazing, the actors are really talented indeed. But as I was watching this wonderful drama, the one who caught my eye was the villain. He kept suprising me until the very end; he is one of the best villains ever!

Music: I don't really pay attention to the music, but sometimes there are some songs that get stuck in my head even if I want or not. In this drama the music was kind of meh. I mean it was okay, but not so awesome that I will always remember it.

Rewatch Value: YES YES YES! I would rewatch it anytime! The whole drama was like an emotional roller coaster for me, and I am 100% sure it will be like that for you too.

Overall: I really think you should try watching this drama now! Almost every detail was realistic, there weren't any cliches (in my opinion).

Give it a try and tell me what you think :)

tichinatam
Feb 19, 2016
Surprisingly, I enjoyed this drama very much. I'm not one for the dark/melodramatic genre, normally, and I have to be honest, I decided to watch this at first because I'm particularly biased for YSH.

The story isn't very typical; in fact, it's pretty unique. I really enjoyed the Jin Woo's journey to avenge his Father's wrong accusation, and although it tugged on my heartstrings so many times, it's what really got me attached to it. Tbh, I didn't see/feel any romance in this drama, at all. In fact, I thought it was actually awkward between Minha/Jinwoo when it became obvious that there was more than friendship in their relationship. The thriller aspect of this drama will make up for it, though.

As I said before, I had decided to start watching this because of YSH. However, as the drama progressed, I found myself more stuck with NGM. The character of Nam Gyuman is so well portrayed, and in my opinion, he out-shined YSH. You can't help but feel nothing but complete anger towards Gyuman, but also at the end, I felt sort of bad. Lol. Nonetheless, YSH still flawlessly portrayed the whole 'cool & heartless' lawyer persona. I couldn't help but feel bad for the unfortunate fate that Dongho/Jinwoo were subject to, but I've been a fan of PSW for a while now, and never doubted that he would be great in playing Dongho, also.

I shed so many tears throughout the 2 months that I was following this drama, both sad/happy. Would recommend this drama for anyone looking for the not so typical lovey-dovey type of k-drama. Definitely going on my favorites list.

KarolineAskeroed
Feb 25, 2017
This drama ruined me in every way possible.
From episode 1 up until the very end of this drama, i was an emotional wreck. I've honestly never cried as much while watching dramas, or in my life, as i did while watching this.
Watching this drama felt like being on a rollercoaster of emotions, you go from sad, to happy, to pissed in less than 10 seconds. And when i was done watching this drama, i didn't watch a new drama for about a week or two, because i felt almost emotionally tired.
I was just so emotionally empty after watching this drama, i was like a dry sponge and i just needed some time to collect myself so my body could produce tears again.

Story: If you like melodramas, then this is melodrama at its finest. If you want to watch something light, with a bit of romance and comedy, then this is probably not for you. (but i'd say give it a shot anyway because it's one of the best dramas i have ever seen)

This drama is a very emotionally heavy drama. There's always something happening in this drama and because of that i wasn't able to watch episode after episode of this drama in one day, but that doesn't mean i didn't like it. It's just that, once you're done with one episode you almost need a bit of time to collect yourself again. Everything that happens in the drama is almost to much to take in. To some people, the storyline of this drama WILL BE to much and almost seem unrealistic and overdone, but to me this was done in the most perfect way. I didn't feel like it was unrealistic at all. Similar things to what we see in remember has happened in real life, of course here it is done to the more extreme to make it more interesting to watch, but things like what we see in Remember, has happened in real life.

I also really liked how it ended. It was not the ending i was hoping for, but it was what felt the most realistic to me. What i also really liked about the ending, was that it didn't feel rushed.
In a lot of dramas, the drama is really good for the most part and then the closer it gets to ending, there's suddenly a lot happening at once. It's almost like the scriptwriters just realised that there's not much time left to finish writing the script and they need to come to a conclusion quickly and that usually leads to ending that are rushed or unrealistic, or both.
In Remember, they took their time with the ending, everything seemed planned out and was just really well done and well written.

If you want that bit of romance there is some in this drama, but it's not the main focus of this drama, which i actually like because that makes it a bit different from most melodramas.
This drama focuses more on the relationship between the main character and his father, and everything he is willing to do and sacrifice to prove his fathers innocence.

Acting: The actors did an amazing job in this drama. I really love Yoo Seung-ho because i could really just feel his acting. When he cried, i cried. When he smiled, i smiled. When he was mad, i was pissed. He just did an amazing job.
Park Min-young did great as well. I loved her character, i didn't feel like she was that needy and annoying girlfriend that we often see in dramas. She just wanted what was best for him, even if that meant her not seeing him again.
But one of the people that left me with the biggest impression was Nam Gung-min. If you really hate ( i didn't just dislike, i flat out hated) a character, then that usually means that the actor is really good at acting. I hated his character so much, he was just a cruel, giant dickhead that i at the end of the drama felt really bad for. Out of all the bad guys i've seen in dramas, he's "my favourite" i guess you could say. I hated him for about 85% of the series, but you do understand after some time why he is the way he is, and the ending, i can't even talk about it, i'll cry.

Music: Wasn't bad, but nothing that phased me.

Rewatch value: 5. Going through the pain you feel emotionally while watching this drama is something you only need to do once.

sweetshammah
Mar 5, 2016
I lately find myself watching the Official OST MVs before deciding to watch a drama and it never fails to set the tone for my expectations.

This drama is special to me because it revolves around a son's Love for his father and vice versa. No episode was dull for me, it always kept me on edge. And it shows the various father and son dynamics. There is one character in the drama that was so twisted but at the same time so innocent. The drama also did great interjecting some comic relief here and there perfectly, and warm scenes were sincerely warm and happy. Acting and Casting was AWESOME. All the actors made me their instant fan. Crying scenes made me cry buckets as well. It can also get frustrating but definitely rewarding. I wondered why I didn't watch this when it aired before.

katieleemvp
Feb 19, 2016
One thing I would say to anyone who is thinking of watching this drama - 'Prepare for a rollercoaster of emotions', because this drama sure made a mix of emotions. In some parts I was angry, others happy, and some more I was sad. I decided to watch this drama after reading the plot and also Park Min Young is my favourite actress. Also, I had never seen a drama with Yoo Seung Ho in and boy! Now I am going to hunt through all of his past dramas and watch them all!

Story: The story wasn't written, it was crafted. And it was crafted beautifully. The staff of this drama did a fantastic job and it was everything which I had expected plus more. A large part of this drama actually gave me goosebumps. It was so beautiful and I was even on the edge of my seat in parts. It is a beautiful but sad story and it was made perfectly. The only bad thing I have to say is I wish there was slightly more romance involved but with such a crafted storyline, they managed to fit a lot of things in 20 episodes so it didn't bother me too much.

Acting: What can I say about the acting in this drama? The acting of this drama was one of the best I have seen in a while. Yoo Seung Ho and Park Min Young portrayed their roles perfectly. The chemistry between them and the other characters were also amazing. But I would have to give my award to the villian/bad guy. Nam Goong Min (Nam Gyu Man). When I hear of a villian/bad guy, Nam Goong Min played everything I would expect. He gave me goosebumps and his acting was absolutely amazing (I am sorry poor laptop for me screaming at you during his scenes). I also really enjoyed a lot of the extra characters apart from those who were the leads. That's why I gave the acting 10/10.

Recommend/Rewatch: I would DEFINITELY recommend this drama to anyone who loves dramas with some mystery, romance, thriller and drama. This is the perfect drama for you. Rewatch value... hm. I think I would still have to prepare myself for everything which is going to happen, even though I have already watched it! It was an amazing drama and I enjoyed every single part of it. I really do not think I was bored at any parts of this drama. So watch it! You will DEFINITELY not be disappointed!

I can honestly say I loved every single part of this drama and whilst it was airing, it was the only thing that kept me going until Wednesday and Thursday nights. :)