The Blue Hour (2015) poster

• Popularity: #2006

Thai_drama junkie
Jun 16, 2019
This is my first movie comment. I felt compelled to write this review because many viewers and reviewers haven’t given this movie credit for how good it is primarily because they have a preconceived notion or expectation of what the movie is before watching it and feel unsatisfied at the end because they don’t fully understand it. If you think this story is a gay coming-out/love story or a horror movie the you’ve been badly misled but give it a chance and you’ll find it to be a pretty worthwhile watch.

I will admit that the first time I watched it I was confused as to what happened. Much like the movie the Sixth Sense this one made you think and required you to watch it a second time. The second time around it makes more sense. This is not your conventional horror movie or a gay coming of age love story. Think of it as the reaction of the mind because of horrors that it has to endure.

The title The Blue Hour is very significant to the meaning of the movie. The Blue Hour, also known as Onthakan, is the time between day and night; dream and reality; good and evil. This is where this movie lies.

My personal thoughts on what the movie means after watching it a second time. Don’t read the next section till you’ve watched the movie at least once,

The story is about Tam, a High School student who’s bullied at school and physically and mentally abused at home by his family for being gay. To escape, his mind creates an alter ego named Phum. The movie goes back and forth between Tam’s reality and dreams — hence the blue hour — with the majority of the movie in Tam’s dreams. Phum is strong, independent, self-aware and confident, traits that Tam doesn’t have. Phum essentially acts as the trigger (imagine that little devil on Tam’s shoulder) that unleashes the horrors that lie within Tam’s mind. Phum frees Tam sexually; makes him feel at peace with himself and who he is (any of their poolside chats and the rooftop scene); allows Tam to metaphorically see what his parents have taken away from him (the empty field with so much potential that became a garbage dump - Tam is accused of everything that is bad with their family, including being gay), rationalize murder to save himself (stuff that happens while he’s in the dump); and to learn how to mentally get away from it all (I think this is what the whole holding breath thing is, to be dead without being dead). The pool represents the dirty section of Tam’s mind. The random images that show up on the pool walls that look like images of people made from crap are manifestations of Tam’s problems specifically his family that keep on showing up no matter how hard he tries to remove them. Tam nearly drowning in the pool is essentially that, Tam drowning in his problems. Not sure what the meaning of Phum saving Tam from drowning means. However, after Phum saves and revives him, Tam admits that he can’t remember anything that happened - thereby admitting that he’s struggling between dreams and reality or maybe even good and evil thoughts. The gangsters, who Tam and Phum meet at the pool, are the manifestations of Tam rationalizing murdering his family and a willingness to give up parts of himself to do it - the whole negotiation and Phum listing all the things he’s willing to give up. The ending scene, Tam and Phum meet at a calm river representing Tam’s mind at peace and calm.

I too struggled with this movie at first. A second viewing with an open and objective mind will really make you appreciate the movie and its subtle complexities.

Gun and Oabnathi did a great job acting in this movie that you wanted to believe that they were “real” couple/friendship as opposed to just that little devil on Tam’s shoulder. Thats the genius of movies like this and the Sixth Sense.

whorificmane
Aug 16, 2016
Firstly to explain the name of the title "THE BLUE HOUR" also known as "Onthakan" means time between both morning and night, the realm between dreams and reality, or good and evil.

The movie is actually I wouldn't say really scary unless you get terrified easily but it was very creepy like scary creepy and there is a scene that you must be careful of cause you may not be sleeping at night if you happen to be watching this at 8 o'clock at night, so yeah basically as it says it's a Horror movie.

I gave the acting cast a 7.0/10 because I've actually seen other movies with the main actors who's done a lot better job giving them 10/10 and I always rate with a 9.0 if it was really good because you never know when something else will come along and be just as good but if it amazed me to a point I had no choice then of course its a 10/10.

For the music I gave it a 1.0 because honestly I don't really recall their being any music until the very end sadly and I was looking forward well I'm always looking forward to music in horror movies that's just cause I'm weird.

I rated the story a 5.0/10 only because Phum was basically leading Tam to a dark place in life and that's not something anyone should be doing to somebody especially when they're going through what Tam has gone through.

Overall I gave it a 6.5/10 because I enjoy Horror movies and have a love hate relationship with them and this one was on more of the creepy scary side with a jump scare and I like things like that.

I hope this was helpful to those who haven't seen it yet

HelloWorld
May 6, 2017
When I finish watching the film, my reaction was like; "huh, what happen?!", "who did this and who did that?!". I was just shocked by the ending but I really did not felt horrified nor scared.

I just really got curious of what really happened to the plot of the story so I basically watch the movie one more time and I just found out what this movie is all about though. lol :p

IDK if most of the people who watch this film for the first time felt the same way I had which is confusion.

OVERALL: T'was a great and unique movie I could say since it made me feel curious and had my urge to re-watch this film.

Jay
Sep 24, 2017
I watched this film at 3AM. Yes, 3AM. And I shat my pants because I'm a massive wuss. Still, I'd recommend it.

I'm not a fan on any type of horror so the shift half way through had my anxiety sky rocketing. But I'm a guy that likes to finish what he starts so I watched it to the very end.

I feel like the music (or lack thereof) was incredibly suspenseful and had me hiding behind my hands in complete terror at what the protagonist was going to find next. I like the fact that it was just silent at some parts as it made the feel even creepier.

There was one scene that made me screech and cry like a banshee (I'll say it again- not a fan of horrors) which left me hiding behind my hands for the rest of the film singing the Go Compare advert to calm myself down.

I'd say if you want to watch this- be prepared. I knew it was gonna be creepy when I started but the film kinda makes you forget and then BAM you're pooing yourself. Needless to say I personally will probably not rewatch this film as I don't fancy crying in bed and messaging my friends at god awful times in the morning.

This review is all over the place I'm sorry it's 4AM and there are dried crusty tears on my face I'm a mess.

JamesRenzel
Jun 17, 2017
I was intrigued with the reviews and low rating this movie got, so I need to watch it myself to know why.

STORY:

The story starts out okay. It's a coming of age with a hint of romance. As the story progresses, it goes deeper with the characters and plot. BUT, it can be very confusing. Don't expect the movie having a literal meaning and unravel the possibilities with your mind, because that will help you understand the story/plot. I give it a 6.5/10, because damn it's hard to catch up and figure everything out.

ACTING/CAST:

8/10! The two leads are awesome. The innocence and aggression is spot on. They have an amazing chemistry and if this was a normal BL, it would make people squeal. The only thing that bugs me is that their intention is a bit off (for me), I kept on asking WHY. Hopefully, you'll find out after watching this. But don't be discouraged, they sure are not amateur actors.

REWATCH VALUE:

4/10. The only reason why you should rewatch this is to indulge in its darkness and figure everything out. But for me, this is a one time watch type of movie.

KainGuru
Apr 28, 2017
STORY: It's hard to tell what is real and what isn't in this movie. It's a very slow-moving psychological thriller I suppose, or it's trying to be anyways.

ACTING/CAST: Frankly, I only came to watch Gun (Poonsawas Atthaphan). So jealous of the actors who get to make out with him on camera.

MUSIC: Meh.

REWATCH VALUE: Nah.

OVERALL: The BL moments are nice but they can't carry the slow, plodding, and confusing script.
Psychosinner
Jun 11, 2019
I feel like the point of the film was a little vague. Other than that it was visually excellent and had a dark, gritty feel and has some disturbing gore. The relationship between the two men is always surrounded by a dark atmosphere, and is generally the real suspense, you never know what's going to happen but you still keep speculating. Beautifully made and the script and the acting was on point. Gun especially, he got me completely invested in his character. The way he portrayed the role of a beaten down boy who's struggling everywhere in life suddenly finds a boy who is mysterious in some ways and brutally honest. Just like Gun he's also struggling.