Suki na Hito ga Iru Koto

RisefromBlackAshes
Sep 22, 2016
I honestly picked up watching this after watching the cast on VS Arashi, and watching a different special on before it. I had to rewatch the first episode since I started on 2 but I knew I was hooked.

The premise is pretty simple, 'average' girl ends up living with three guys in pursuit of her dream as a pastry chief. Of course, shenanigans ensue. It's touching, it's dramatic, and it even got me to tear up a little bit.

I really enjoyed the chemistry between cast members. You could tell from VS Arashi they were all friends after filming, and during their scenes it was really impressive. Kento Yamazaki, and Kirie Mirai have absolutely stunning chemistry between them. And Nomura Shuhei is the perfect balance between serious moments and comic relief (without being a joke himself). Shuhei was even cast in the Taiwanese adaptation! The setting is in Enoshima, not too far away from Tokyo (closer to Yokohama though) which was a refreshing change of pace.

My friends and I agree that Chiaki's character development was rather sad, in comparison to the others. And there is a weird insert character whoose got no purpose or name but causes a lot of grief for the others, that we found rather boring and unneeded.

I've already recommended this drama to friends, and I watched it in Japan and with subs after leaving Japan. Not a top favorite of mine, and I won't be rewatching unless it's with friends/for nostalgia but it's a sweet drama worth watching.

ElaEnchanted
Sep 22, 2016
I was totally in-love with this drama. Honestly, I watched it because of the pairing Yamaken/Kiritani Mirei after watching them at Heroine Disqualified. And a plus that my Shohei Miura, another Ikemen from Japan is part of the cast with another with Shuhei Nomura.
The story is just basically simple but enough to keep you interested and make your heart go doki-doki (flutter) with every cute scenes. I was actually envious of Mirei (or Misaki's character) for having the opportunity to live with the brothers, such a lucky situation, plus they adore her and almost fall for her.
Some may think that some of the acting or portrayal of the actors are way too exaggerated or over-the-top, but as a more jdrama fan (specially a live-action adaptation), I am more used to it, or just kinda expected that to happen, and for me, that adds more charm to the drama.
I think Yamazaki Kento's acting keeps on improving as he takes more roles nowadays. Shuhei Nomura, as Touma - the youngest one is my favorite character in this story. He is so free-spirited, playboy, and tactless, but somehow his words makes sense. And I love how he is so supportive of Misaki, even if he have a little crush on her.
Another reason to watch this drama is the food, specially those mouthwatering display of desserts!
Though as much as I wished that this drama have more episodes or at least reached until 12 episodes, I am satisfied how it went till the final end. It didn't left me feeling something missing, it just went how it should be. I only want it to last long because I still want to see them all together because I love how each of the actors played their characters, meaning they have a very good chemistry working together.
The soundtrack is also good. I haven't checked out the meaning of the lyrics, but it is nice to listen to.
I would watch it again, in fact I may be watching it this weekend. Please watch it too, and hope you enjoy!

Viktorija
Nov 4, 2016
I had pretty high expectations for this because from what I gathered JDramas tend to be better than Korean ones because they keep them moderately short and nothing is as bad as a story that drags and becomes boring as hell. And well it was short, it didn't get much time to get boring but it did not fulfill my expectations.

The STORY is as cliche as you would expect from the premise. At first I thought that they would focus more on the culinary themes they present to us at first but don't be fooled the romance quickly steals the spotlight which was disappointing.
Honestly I am surprised that this is not an adaptation of some sorts because it is really shoujo manga-ish.
At first I was fine with the story, because at the time they really focused on the food making and Misaki's struggle to get along with the chef. Cliche but enjoyable.
Then followed some drama that wasn't annoying but my attachement to the characters was lacking so I really had to force myself to care about what was going on.
But somewhere in the last third of the drama the story just became ridiculous. One unnecessary misunderstanding after another. They really lead to basically nowhere and were predictable as well as annoying as hell.

The CHARACTERS are probably the best and the worst part of this drama. Now prepare your forks and torches. I didn't like Kanata's character. I assume most of you know what this term means and if you don't a quick google search will help. He was a prime example of a tsundere. Now at first it was cute and all but God later on I really struggled. Kanata was mean and insensitive, never apologised because the writers made it out to be that he was always right but I didn't feel that way. Even if you were right you still have to apologise for losing your temper am I not right?! Now Yamazaki Kento did a pretty good job at playing this kind of character, he sort of managed to portray the subtle changes of expression to not make it seem like Kanata was a robot. Misaki was pretty cliche (you know the clumsy type) too but I enjoyed the fact that she was somewhat stronger than a lot of female leads I have been seeing recently. Her passion for work was admirable.
Honestly the more I think about it the more I come to a conclusion that all the characters are prototypes created by shoujo writers:
Takana - tsundere.
Misaki - the clumsy type.
Chaki - the kind one in the love triangle.
Kaede - the love rival that is seemingly way better than the main heroin. In this one she was such a tool for the writer that I laughed.
And lastly couple characters for comic relief.
The writers didn't create anything with this one, they just took what someone had already made and mixed it together.

OVERALL it wasn't as bad as I am making it out to be. We are all guilty of loving cliches so why should the writers stop using them. There were quiet a few of momment that I enjoyed despite everything. What ruined this for me was Kanata's character so if you like tsunderes then you will enjoy it way more than I did. But if you're tired of unoriginality then stay away.

Luly
Dec 29, 2016
For the hype that this had, the reviews and the amount of times this was featured in this year's poll, I had some expectations with this one but they were not met. This is the 4th drama of 2016 I watch with the same "jerk male lead + sweet female lead + 'nice guy' = triangle" trope and, from best to worst, I rank this one 3rd out of 4.

My biggest issue with this drama (apart from the fact that I’m not a fan of leads who act like jerks and who we’re supposed to find romantic rather than toxic) is that the story is all over the place. There’s a story-line involving the three brothers, with a mystery in the middle, which gets resolved halfway through and ends up going nowhere. There’s a story-line about the restaurant they have and trying to make it succeed while not selling out, and it also ends up going nowhere. There’s a story-line about the female lead’s quest for professional growth which ends up only serving the “romantic” story-line. There’s a backstory of a character to make them less two dimensional which also ends up going nowhere. All in all, it’s like every ingredient which could have turned this into less of a cliche and more innovative was pushed aside in the benefit of the overused story-line of the love triangle.

Out of all the characters, the only one I found memorable and whose performance I enjoyed enough was Nomura Shuhei’s Touma (the youngest sibling). He’s the only one I feel has a story arc which involves making personal changes, realizing mistakes and repairing damages he has caused. The rest, I can’t say much. It seemed Miura Shohei’s character was going towards a reasonable development and in the last few episodes his entire character turned 180° for the sake of the cliche romance. It seemed that Kiritani Mirei’s character had more substance to her than being the sweet main lead who tends to be too kind for her own good, but all about her drive and career seemed to just serve the cliche romance.

And Yamazaki Kento’s character deserves a paragraph on his own. He is the jerk male lead, the one we’ve seen at least 4 times this year: we saw him in Dean Fujioka’s Mamiya Hokuto in Happy Marriage, in his Kurosawa Ayumu in Please Love the Useless Me and in Shiraishi Shunya’s Uehara Hisashi in Good Morning Call. I really dislike this trope, I think it’s toxic as heck, but the rest of the dramas at least tried for me to feel for the guy. They intended to introduce a backstory (mostly tied in with family grief) in which I could say “oh, so this is why he’s a jerk”. It never worked, but they tried. Here, everything that happens to this character, all the troubles and external arcs to change him, happen in the timeline of the drama. There is no reason why he acts this way and he doesn’t change his attitude with anything that happens to him. He has that kind of extremely subtle character change which stans of him will call development but I call bad writing.

The reason why this drama isn’t my complete least favorite of the bunch is because it’s very nicely filmed and, mostly, decently performed. The shots were brilliant and they paid attention to detail, the cinematography was very enjoyable. There are some things in the story I found interesting, like the family mystery I mentioned, the somewhat complex way in which they tried to introduce the “ex girlfriend” cliche and the youngest brother’s character growth. But it doesn’t have enough to be different from the rest of the dramas with the same trope.

All in all, if this is a trope you enjoy and male leads being jerks is your thing, for some reason, this is a very well done one of those. If you’re looking for something innovative, different and devoid of love triangles, dates in aquariums, firework festivals being a “big romantic deal” and lots and lots of misunderstandings and “I hurt you because I want to protect you” scenes, there’s not much here for you. Except for an omelette with a burger inside, which is pretty good.

addicted2dramas
Sep 27, 2016
This drama is hands down among my Top 3 J-dramas of recent years. It was a thoroughly entertaining watch and I'm still reeling from its withdrawal. While this drama isn't unique, it was refreshing and the cast is one big reason to watch this. All the characters are properly fleshed out and the cast did an amazing job.

This drama seemed like a reverse harem to me but it was limited to being a love triangle only (thankfully). I think my favourite person in the entire drama was the main actress. Not only is she crazy pretty but also acted so well. She managed great chemistry with all three brothers and her interactions with all were enjoyable in their own way. I am sure when you watch this, you'll probably like a different brother. For me all three were equally likable although the second was a bit more frustrating than the others. There's also who you wanna ship because that makes it another level of fun throughout the 10 episodes.

I loved how this drama was shot in different locations than usual J-dramas and I got to see a part of Japan I am not familiar with. I love the Japanese for their culture, and this drama sort of shows how there is more to their country than just skyscrapers and metropolitan areas.

This drama is a perfect mix of family, romance, food and friendship genres and neither of the elements outweigh the others. I wasn't too familiar with the cast but I know now that Kenta is somewhat big in Japan. Also a random note- if you are a fan of the Kpop group Kara then you're in for bit of a surprise in here (don't get your hopes up tho).

I loved this drama and had to contain myself to not watch it raw when subs didn't come out on time. It is light and there's almost no melodrama which was a good break from Kdramas for me. It becomes a bit dull in the last few episodes but the cheesy airport ending makes up for it. In fact, I am hoping for a season 2.

Watch it and I'm sure you will not regret it. 10 episodes will fly by before you even know it. It's good got rewatchability score too.

leahakiko
Sep 30, 2016
This is the first recent Japanese drama I have actually finished in a long while. I don't remember how I came across it but it was a nice refreshing drama to watch over the summer.

Story | Maybe it's just me, but the plot felt new but it also felt like a cliche by the way it was made. Main girl losses her job, runs into her childhood crush etc. It was a cute storyline. I liked the idea of Misaki getting the opportunity to work in a new environment with the brothers of Sea Sons. Their background and everything was a nice touch while the storyline moved well enough and everything made sense.

Cast | I really enjoyed the cast. Of course a favorite of most is Yamazaki Kento, and I'm going to have to jump on that bandwagon. I can honestly say that I believe his acting and his character are what made this drama as good as it was. Him as a chef was perfection and what we all needed in life ~ His chemistry with Kiritani Mirei was perfect. I adored them together. Every scene of them arguing, goofing off and having serious moments, it was all great to watch. Although some of Mirei's actions were a bit annoying, I liked her as Misaki. Chiaki and Touma were also great supporting characters, although I'm not one for Chiaki's personality. But that's all personal. All the other supporting roles were a great add on.

Music | The only song I remember is the main theme by JY (Jiyoung from Kara!) and it's such a nice sone to listen to. I think they also used this song in a slower pace towards the end of the series and I fell in love with the song again.

Rewatch | As much as I enjoyed the drama, rewatching it will probably be unlikely. I was instantly hooked for the first 7 episodes but sadly, the last 3 were lackluster for me. Usually with Japanese dramas, 9-10 episodes is enough for the writers to start a story, create a climax and then finish it nicely, but it seemed with this one that it added too much to the last 3 episodes. I kept asking myself "but why.." constantly while finishing the last couple episodes.

Overall | This has been the first Japanese drama I've seen in a while that was really refreshing. Maybe it was because they were always by the sea, I'm not really sure, but I really enjoyed it. It was a nice short drama to watch over the summer and it is really easy to get through. I'm hoping that there will be some sort of special later on because I truly enjoyed the chemistry this cast had. I recommend people watch this when they want to get away from certain genres that aren't obviously romantic ~

hailightdramas
May 14, 2018
PLOT: A nice story that has it's clichés, but gave me laughs and made me feel light-hearted. Plus, I really enjoyed seeing all the delicious foods!
SETTING: Beautiful scenery and compositions that went well with the emotions of the storyline.
CHARACTERS: A bit straining to watch, but likeable nonetheless. Especially the main couple...yup, I had them ship feels.

Would recommend to someone who: kinda feels like needing a break from all the action going on in life / wants to enjoy some cute characters in a summery landscape / just loves food ;P

(and someone please manage to tell me how yamazaki kento looks so good in those ridiculous undershirts)

Jun 16, 2017
My first ever Japanese drama was like a shoujo movie mixed with a nice k drama like ending. The story was cute and sweet, the romance okay and the twists interesting. The best thing, however, about this drama was the great scenery. Every place that they visited was beautiful, with the sea side and the summer atmosphere. The cooking scenes were nicely executed, without showing the characters as armatures or that the dishes were already made and the actors just added a few touched here and there. The romance was nice, though the love triangle weak and it only happened towards the end. But because the drama didn't focus mostly on the romantic story, and added depth regarding each character and their personality, it helped it to avoid being boring. The ending was classic cheesy cliché airport ending, which didn't have any originality. Finally, the performances were really good, supporting the drama greatly. So, 7 out of 10.

FayeDelaCruz
Sep 2, 2016
After Heroine Shikakku I can't get enough of those two (Kento Yamazaki and Mirei Kiritani) and so I look for other movies or series where they starred in and I was lucky enough to bump into such amazing series, Suki na hito ga iru koto. At first I thought it was a reverse harem until episodes by episodes prove me wrong. There's more to tell from it's title, it is a must watch not just because of romance but because of other elements it held like family relationship. It also help that it has the right amount of comedy. Geez! I super love this series, probably one of the best I've seen so far. Love the casting, they're all fit for the character they portray. Thank you for bringing this, it gives color to my monochromatic life.

Beautiful_Bloom
Sep 4, 2016
The story about a girl of age who's still single and love hunting is actually pretty common. A love triangle between brothers who love the same girl is common as well. But i think this would be my first drama with three brothers liking the same girl (i think Touma really likes Misaki...i think)

As i said, from episodes 1-5, the story plot has been really common, but from then on, the story didn't focus on just the romance part anymore, the family part was emphasized, the secret about Kanata, especially the invisible wall Touma built between him and one of his brothers. This part is pretty amazing. but I'm only rating what I've seen from episodes 1-7, and the preview for episode 8 kinda shows that we'll be back on the romance part... i don't know whether or not that will affect my rating.

I like Kiritani Mirei. I've always thought she has the look of an antagonist but she prove's herself as someone who deserves the spotlight - to be loved.

I've liked Yamaken since heroine disqualified and l-dk. I've always thought he's best for shoujo manga adaptations, even more than Fuskushi Souta. I've downloaded kanseitou because of him. He really did great in death note as well, in orange too. this is his first role as someone who's not going to school, and even more, a chef! a hot chef by that matter. He and Mirei has great chemistry, i didn't see it in heroine disqualified tho.

Ive been looking for movies and dramas of Miura Shohei. I found him appealing in hungry and gokusen. I think he worked well as a big brother. but he's been trying too hard to look like a good brother, he's tone in speaking didn't quite change at all in the episodes released.

It's my first time seeing Nomura Shuhei in a drama, It's my first time seeing him actually. but he worked well as the youngest - rebellious and holds grudge. he was really great in episode 7.

The supporting characters are all consistent. the funny couple who looks out for the brothers really brightens the mood. Keide knows her role.

All the background musics used were appropriate to every seen. I don't think all dramas and movies are like that.

I gave the rewatch value a 10 because ive been rewatching the whole drama every time a new episode comes out. and i rewatch the new episode for a whole week until the next one comes.

Overall, i give this drama a 10. It's different from other romance dramas. this one's special.

Appz
Jul 21, 2016
I love the episodes so far and what made me fell inlove with it more is the fact that kento yamazaki and mirei kiritani are the main leads once again in this series and hopefully will end up together, They're both great at acting and the story pace is spot on so far I dont see any flaws but all in all its a series i recommend everyone to watch! That is all Im huge fan of this two so thank you for making this!
Tessa
Mar 6, 2017
Ok bear with me. This is my first review. You know the dramas that have a low budget, simple story & average writing/acting but you end up loving them anyway. Well, A Girl & Three Sweethearts is one of those dramas.

I think its simplicity is why it excels expectations. It won't wow you or win a bunch of awards but it's enjoyable and will make you smile. When you come to care about the characters & what happens to them then I consider it a successful drama. I know I'm probably making this sound mediocre but I really did love it.

While it's a rom-com at heart, it's also about family. The brothers' relationship & love for each other is heartwarming. Misaki fits well into their lives and restaurant. Like their missing piece. The interaction between the 4 feels so real. From the happy times to even the angsty parts.

The romance is of course the main reason you're probably checking this drama out and it will make you swoon! I'm a sucker for when a couple start off hating each other and then fall for each other. How the relationship grows & evolves is what takes you on a journey. Mirei & Kento have a nice chemistry. Maybe it's cuz they've acted together before that there is an ease between them in their scenes.

Oh Kento. How I love him. I'm not blind to the fact that his acting is average but there's just something about him. I do have to say that this is the best acting I've seen from him. He's improving! Helps when he plays a character that has more emotions than his usual characters. Not a whole lot more though! Lol. He does good at the anger, confusion that his character goes through. Won't say when it happens but he has some really good silent acting when he flashes back to some moments. And of course he looks so good!

Mirei is so cute and pretty. She plays Misaki's cheerful personality well but also balances it out with her determination about her cooking. I'm not one to usually criticize appearance but I did sometimes have trouble buying her as a baker. Her arms are just so ridiculously thin that it's not plausible that she's someone one who mixes ingredients everyday.

Shohei and Shuhei as Chiaki and Touma, respectively, are the standouts acting-wise. Their characters have some interactions that are really good and emotional.

I honestly don't recall the music standing out to me but that can be a good thing. Better that than be completely mismatched and take you out of the scene. So it just kinda fits & subtly adds a scene without you realizing it.

A few cons: I wish Touma had more storyline. He was an absolute gem. The villain never amounted to anything and was just more of an annoyance. But really that's it for cons.

If you're looking for a nice, easy, fun drama then I definitely recommend A Girl & Three Sweethearts. Not too overwhelming. Not too underwhelming. But just right. ;)