Irresistible Love - Secret of the Valet

Exeo
Oct 5, 2016
Plot
After 6 years spent in England, Xie Yan (XY) returns back home. He immediately comes to find Shu Nian (SN), who resumes his role of a servant. In a sense, the two revive their childhood days after a long separation. However, SN does not seem happy about XY’s return.
What turn will their relationship take next?

Overall, the story was not exaggerated, but somehow emotions are conveyed very well – sense of injustice, annoyance, care, worry… One can feel them all very strongly during the movie.

Characters
- Xiao Nian - unlucky orphan with a great heart. Very good at hiding his feelings, after years of service he became very proficient at obeying orders, quietly accepting his fate.
- Xie Yan – selfish, dominant, possessive, but deep down also caring.
- Jiang Yao – not shown in great detail in the movie, but seems to fail to understand love.

Great actors, very natural acting.

Music – fitting, but not very noticeable or particularly good.

Other comments
- XY was too dominant, which makes the relationship become abusive, especially at the beginning. However, one might argue that by showing this characteristic so clearly, the movie emphasises that this is a problem.
- The development of their relationship could be shown in more detail and in greater depth.
- Also, the movie contains a really interesting theme of an orphan, who basically becomes a servant to the heir of his adoptive family. The aspect of SN’s loyalty and servitude is clearly shown, but maybe this could be expanded upon further.
- Some moments were a little difficult to understand, but that might be due to the quality of subtitles.

Generally, a really interesting and good movie.
Would especially recommend it to those who:
- like BL movies
- are not typical BL audience, but are looking for a romance movie with an interesting plot
- are interested in stories of orphans

Ambrosia-Tiffany
Sep 16, 2016
Although it was too short to develop any deep affection toward the actors, I still enjoyed the plot and characters. Xie Yan is a bit selfish when it concerns Shu Nian, it's a wonder how he was clueless to why he was so possessive. My only complaint is the length, as I haven't read up to inquire if it's based on written work yet. Overall, I recommend watching it.
nessa
Jul 13, 2017
This is less of a review and more of a warning: if you are here to watch a nice fluffy/angsty BL, this is not one of them !!!!

I could give tonnes of warnings for this which may contain spoilers, but tldr; if you're looking for a healthy portrayal of a relationship, this is not one of them.

The movie features: violence, attempted rape (though not on the male leads' parts), non-consent to some extent, just general disrespect of someone as a human being. If you're bothered by these, I highly suggest you do not watch it. There WERE some moments which were okay, but not enough to warrant any a higher rating.

KainGuru
Mar 29, 2017
A powerful and wealthy family bought a slave from an orphanage as a play thing for their kid. This is the story of them grown up.

STORY: For most of the movie I only cared about one person: Xie Yan. He is literally at the mercy of the evil people around him, including the one who owns him, Shu Nian. He faces quite a lot of hardships and injustice. The ending wasn't sad as much as a cliffhanger because it sets up the sequel.

ACTING/CAST: Very sharp cast, good acting. This is a quality production. There was some great chemistry here and the evil people I mentioned before did a good job at being evil.

MUSIC: Typical music for a drama. Nothing special. I don't understand Chinese vocals and the version I watched the lyrics were not translated.

REWATCH VALUE: Sure, I will watch it once more with a friend.

OVERALL: A quality program with high production value.

TL;DR: If you're OK with a story about a master/slave BL relationship, then watch this.

Victoria_Chan
Jan 13, 2018
Story: The story was very interesting. Sometimes with movies you would need to read the plot on a review site xD *cough* MyDramaList *cough cough* but with this series of movies you don't need to! Although you may be confused with the beginning the rest of the movie makes sense if you pay attention. The story shows love between two men (obviously mate) that meets some obstacles. Obviously no spoilers I AIN'T THAT CHILD! But good overall.

Acting: ACTING OH MA GAWD it was AMAZING  but obviously not perfect. They showed SO MUCHO EMOTIONO like damn son.

Music: FREAKING BEAUTIFUL YASSSSS

Rewatch: Definitely definitely definitly

FREE ENG SUB:

Pelikan
Jul 14, 2017
If you like to see a very complicate, emotional and strong developement between two contrasting men...then this is definitely the right drama!!

I just love the story. It´s completely different from all lovey-dovey dramas. All scenes have this special feeling which goes through the whole drama. Also the second drama is just genius!!
The acting is amazing. I love Meng Rui and Wang Bowen acting together...they are so lovely.
The music.......yeah, well....everytime I hear "Dream" or especially "Uncon.Love" I cry sooo bad. So the atmosphere fits in every scene...IT`S JUST PERFECT; OK?! xD Best drama ever seen...
Recommendable? YEAH!!!

BryluenLush
Apr 1, 2017
I went about this ass backwards and watched series 2 first. I didn't get sime of the flashbacks but after watching this part it all came together. I found this whole series to warm and inviting. I became emotionally invested in the characters to the point that I watched the series again and spent a day watching interviews. I can't wait for part 3.
christinadocteur
Dec 30, 2016
honestly this is the best movie i ever saw!!!!!!! i recommend it to everyone!!!!! the song in this movie is so good and beautiful, they made me cry especially " dream" by wang bowen.... his voice/ acting skills are amazinggggg