The Great Wall (2016) poster

Film (Serious)
Exo Related Dramas/ Movies

QAS
Mar 19, 2017
This is Zhang Yimou's epic fantasy movie, and he pulled off an incredible feat of the imagination. I describe it as fantasy versus historical, because the monsters did not exist in historical times. The CGI was amazing, and took me back to the advent of Lord of the Rings. The movie was fast-paced, and the two hours zipped by quickly. I looked forward to this movie because of Andy Lau and Lu Han.

Matt Damon stepped up the plate in his first Chinese movie, as an European mercenary in China during the Song dynasty.  Damon's only flaw was the American accent, that did not match the job title.

Jing Tian was credible as Commander Lin Mae.

Andy Lau showed his competency in the second language.  I was very impressed that the scriptwriter entrusted a lot of English dialog to his character, the military strategist.  Andy Lau should have received third billing.

Lu Han did a very good job as the apprentice soldier, whose work experience was in the kitchen.

The monsters looked like relatives of the alien species in the Alien movies.

TaraLynch
Apr 17, 2017
Okay, I liked The Great Wall quite a bit, actually. It was gorgeously filmed (which I fully expected, given my experience with Chinese cinematography) and vibrantly colored. The action scenes were beautiful. There was a touch of 'What this place needs is a honky' but not nearly so badly as I feared from when I first saw trailers for it. The Chinese have a flair for epic fantasy and hopefully we'll be able to avoid another world war, so we can see more joint Chinese-Hollywood projects in the future.
Sawatdeedrama
Jun 21, 2017
"The Great Wall" didn’t really deliver much except for a decent, all too simple story and some good actors wasted on dull characters. The concept was pretty interesting but fell flat because of the shallow characters and boring, overdone storytelling style.

You never really care who lives or dies, if the wall would fall or the entire capital for that matter. Even though there’s a lot of great actors in the movie, you can’t really tell because of how lacking the movie is. There’s no real build up between the main characters and their friendship, which once again fails to make you engaged in the story. This makes all the dialogues throughout the movie oddly empty, like they’re reciting it all before filming the real deal.

A lot of scenes didn’t make any sense, especially some of the action scenes that obviously wasn’t well thought-out, but solely made to look good on the screen.

With that said, if you need a flat and easy action movie to watch a Sunday night I won’t stop you! There’s a reason why I gave the movie 4,5/10 instead of 1/10.

Ruyi
Mar 13, 2017
I watched this in the cinema and it was superb!! The creatures and cinematography looked convincing and the acting...it's too good...just beautiful... especially Damon Matt :) The main highlight of this movie is to tell us to trust...trust people...trust in yourself etc. I know..I'm talking about the movie like I'm writing an assessment or something XD

So, that was just like a introduction. Now, I will move on to how I think of the story, acting/cast, music and re watch value (I'm kinda copying what other people are doing for their reviews but.. let's move on XD)

STORY:
Thrilling. I loved it...because I love thrilling movies hehe. In this movie, there was always something happening that thrills us, whether it's a creature gonna attack them, preparing for a battle or even just explaining what the Taotei's are is thrilling!! I will not make this paragraph long so I'll just make this short...if I extend the paragraph, I might add spoilers and I know you don't want that ;)

NOOOO!!!! I just wrote a really good review but somehow got deleted T_T
So, this second half is my second time writing the review...(it took me a lot of time!)

ACTING/CAST:
..........I feel so blank after all that writing is deleted T_T Anyways, Damon Matt's acting is the top of the top. I can't describe it but it's too good lol. At the very start of the movie, he had really messy and long hair that I didn't even realise it was Matt. Until, when he fixed it, I was like, "OMG! It's him...." (I actually don't know who damon matt is but now I know :) He's an actor who played as William Garin in The Great Wall :D) The movie was already better with Matt (and luhan and karry!*fangirls*) but it was even better with JingTian too! I've never seen her before but she's a goddess...Just beautiful..I'm speechless.

MUSIC:
You know, usually, when I make reviews, I talk about how emotional that ost was or how powerful his/her voice has! But this time, no voice...just instruments XD But I liked it. The music really fitted in with what was happening in the movie. Impressive.

REWATCH VALUE:
Have you experienced this before? Whenever, I go to the cinemas, the movie always seems to go very fast! It's like BAM! DONE! LET'S GO HOME! But, I don't want to. I just wanna watch another movie! (for example, Beauty and the Beast) 9.0 I might have rated it too high, since I went to the cinamas to watch it-
actually..... the movie would have gone really quickly if I watched it online too! lol

OVERALL:
Superb. Thrilling. Convincing. Impressive~~ I loved this movie-I mean I love this movie and still love it lol. It really makes your day more interesting! Definitely Recommend it! (espcially for a boring Sunday afternoon) I watched it on a Sunday afternoon but that sunday afternoon wasn't sunny...it was raining...really badly....bu that doesn't mean my day was bad! I love the movie, The Great Wall and I'm actually going to The Great Wall next year.....will I see those creatures (taotei)? XD......hopefully not...

P.S. "Trust (???” Trust in your people, yourself. You can do it. (yep! Motivation Quote! Fighting! )
lololololololol

fudanshi
Sep 11, 2017
I went to the movies to see this when it just hit the big screen! I paid a whooping $9.50 for my ticket and let me tell you, it was a waste of my time... and my resources. I could have spent that cash on other stuff.

Although the views are nice—I'm talking the landscapes, the panorama, the whole fucking mise en scène— and the CGI gorgeous, there's absolutely no depth to the story.
The setting is generic, the plot ... generic; It's all just generic... and boring.
I didn't much care for the characters either; superficial, experiencing no growth whatsoever.
Beyond the great casting, the creators have delivered nothing of substance - nothing you haven't seen before!
The action scenes were really good and so was the accompanying music.
It's an action movie, but the action just wasn't exciting...again, because I didn't care about any of the characters.

In a way, watching The Great Wall feels like watching potential go down the drain.
$150 million went floating... what a waste!

pinkmilk
Jul 1, 2017
Review Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.htmlReview Edit.html
Magdalena
Apr 16, 2017
Although it feels like a bad copy of 'Jurassic Park' at the very start, the movie soon shows its unique side. The best thing about the film is without doubt the action, as it brings adrenaline. Furthermore, there is some truth to the story - facts about the Great Wall have been greatly observed before the making of all this. For instance, the barracks were mentioned and shown, although for plenty of seconds. Matt Damon also puts in a great performance as William; he lived up to my expectations for sure. However, I was dreaming the whole time for Luhan to have a little more significant role. If you're planning to watch this film because of him, do not lose your time.

May 11, 2017
The mystery of the construction of the Great Wall of China.
A modest movie. A mixture between the technique of Chinese cinema and American cinema; That ruled by classic stereotypes and a predictable journey. Focused on the aesthetic commitment and the simple adventure of the gaijin lived by Matt Damon.
Considering the type of movie that is, it is not necessary to burn a lot of neurons to know which way the protagonist decides to follow, that is a bad script.
Zhang Yimou sets aside any pretensions to focus on the adventure of a simple skillful foreigner with bow and arrow. Skillful with the camera and visual effects, the director got a hand in the mythology presented and captivates the viewer with classic archetypes of Hollywood cinema. And by being aware of the simplicity of the story itself, "The Great Wall" works great fun.

paredessttDR
Oct 22, 2018
I watched this Movie on BunnyMovie last year because of Matt Damon, and was very surprised how great it was. I has no idea how much I enjoyed this Story. All of the cinematography was out standing. The warriors dressed in different colors was excellent, most of which were women. The action was great as well. After checking this on this site , I decided to watch it agin today because I am watching Sweet Combat with Lu Han and did a search on his drama list and saw that he was in this movie . I wanted to see which was his part and you see him dressed in gray and attacks the monster in which Matt Damon comes to his aid. I also liked the drums music, which was amazing. Overall great movie to watch at home not in the movies. You can watch this movie at kissasin.es or Kissasin.sh for free .