Queen of the Ring (2017) poster

Daisy Lili
Mar 25, 2017
This drama is cute, warm-hearted drama. All the characters developed in their ways.

Kim Seul Gi performs this role well and this role seems to be easy one for her. Ahn Hyo Seop has potentials and I think he can improve further in the future. However, the main characters do not have that strong chemistry. Their chemistry is ok and natural.

The music is great.

This is worth watching drama.
Viktorija
Mar 27, 2017
It's been a while since I have felt so much hate for a main character. Arrogant male leads in Korean dramas are everywhere and generaly I don't mind them, I quiet like them actually, because most of the time in the end their "arrogant" attitude is exagerated and underneath all of that, they're good people. But the description of this drama really isn't lying "Se-Gun is handsome and confident, but very vain and shallow".

The STORY here, of course, isn't anything original but it just screams fun! Comedy, romance and a cliche moral about beauty is really all we need to relax after a hard day and it really kind of had all that, but...

The CHARACTERS, especially the main male lead, were unlikable and that's an understatement in some cases. Se Gun is a shallow douche that only cares about looks. He's fine with everything about a girl as long as she's pretty. Sure, by the end he falls in love with the "ugly" (NOT!) girl and magically becomes a better person and a better character with some sappy development driven by, of course, a sad past. Now to begin with Se Gun's character isn't exactly the worst, they just handeled this type of male lead very badly, exagerating his flaws to the maximum and making him seem like the vainest person ever. Were this a full lenght drama I would have dropped it solely because of him. The female lead wasn't exactly a treat either. Her motivation for liking the main lead was the same - she claims to like beautiful things. The difference is that she just wasn't really a bitch about it...I don't know if that makes it okay though. Not to mention the fact that she had little to no self respect which I can kind of overlook as just a character trait but be warned.

90% of the cute moments in this drama were torture, because they were fake! While Nan Hee had her ring on, everytime something nice happened it was extremely bitter sweet because the writers just had to make sure that you know that Se Gun is only dating her because of her looks! I just could not overlook it, especially when the second love interest for our female lead was 10 times better than this jerk.

Sure the ending was cute as hell and I'm very into this "inner beauty matters the most" moral that I could almost overlook everything that's bad about this drama but I just can't, I won't even let myself! As a woman I respect myself too much to see such chararter as Se Gun be romanticised and justified. He even blamed everything on Nan Hee...*sigh* I just can't

Didn't notice anything horrible about the acting. Not a fan of So Hee's acting though. Happy that Seul Gi finally got a main role, sad that it had to be this drama. Don't remember anything about the music. The cinematography was as unintresting as ever.

There is absolutely nothing about this drama that's worth your time, you can look at a screenshot of the beauty that is Hyo Seop and you would have seen everyting good about this drama. Maybe...maybe if you're easily pleased then you will enjoy it but I really don't recommend it.

kingsqueen
Mar 28, 2017
I realize this was a short web series, but I don't think the story was well-developed. I was excited to watch this because, same as most others, I wanted to see Kim Seul Gi in a lead role. I wish it had been in something better than this.

Kim Seul Gi was adorable as usual, so her acting carried this show. Ahn Hyo Seop was just a pretty face without much substance, and the same for Yeon So Hee. Pretty much all of my acting points are given solely because of KSG.

I think the story really failed to teach the moral that it seemed to set out to do. I read that someone compared it to 'Shallow Hal', and in theory I thought that would have been a good comparison. However, the characters did not evolve much past the "beauty is everything" mindset. I think this story could have so much better, but the writers blew it. There were two good ways they could have handled the "true beauty is on the inside" moral, and they did neither. I was pretty frustrated with the main male lead and his character's basically non-existent growth. I feel like Mo Nan Hee had a tiny bit of growth, but only related to her own sense of self-worth and not in how she, herself, saw her object of desire. She was almost as superficial as the guy.

The music I didn't notice much, so it must have been serviceable.

I won't rewatch this.

WangMaLu
Mar 28, 2017
I loved the fact that Kim Seul Gi is the lead in this drama. She is instantly lovable and sympathetic in anything that she appears in. However, there are better dramas wherein she has shown her lovable and sympathetic side. Oh My Ghost, Second to Last Love and Splish Splash easily outshine this drama. Even her cameos in "Weight-lifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo", "Love Under the Moonlight" and "The Legend of the Blue Sea" were better at conveying her charms.

Granted that there is an element of Fantasy in drama, you can't make me buy the fact that Mon Nan Hee should get our sympathy, simply because she is as superficial as Park Se Gun. The story description for this drama is so off. Nan Hee is an instantly likable character, except that both leads are extremely superficial (which reflects what Korean culture really values). All I hear is "Yeppeun." I can understand Nan Hee's obsession to become prettier, but Se Gun's character was not fleshed out to the point wherein he makes the audience understand why he's so superficial. There's that backstory about his family (not saying which member), but that doesn't tie-in to his behavior. Mi Ju is no better. How can characters flip flop on their motivations and behavior so easily? The only character that has shown consistent characterization was Tae Hyun, but that was also short-lived, because he accepted the ending so easily. Granted that this was a short drama and fleshing out of characters was limited, it didn't have to be this half-baked.

Acting:
Seul Gi and Tae Sun showed range, and it was glaringly obvious that Seul Gi carried the story and the drama. When there was emotion to be conveyed, these two conveyed the emotions properly. Alas, they were subject to a poorly done script. Hyo Seop and So Hee on the other hand were very wooden. Hyo Seop had three expressions, and So Hee had two. Okay, so they were both very pretty, and I am a big fan of So Hee, because she looks like Park Shi Hyeon and she's really gorgeous, but she really lacks acting skills. Even in melos like "My Love Eun Dong," she was a weak link in the cast.

If there was a memorable track in a drama that identifies itself with a drama, I can say that it was scored properly. On this one tho, there wasn't anything memorable or stirring. If I watched the drama without music, it would still convey the same story and emotional beats.

Re-watch Value:
The cute scenes weren't enough to warrant a re-watch. While watching the drama, I just wanted it to end so that I can get a conclusion to the story. Unlike other dramas wherein I had to check the progress on the run time because I didn't want the episode to end just yet, this just left me wanting to see the ending so that I can get on with my life.

I will watch anything with Kim Seul Gi, and I am her fan through and through. I just wish that she'd get better material for her drama projects. She is, in my opinion, a very attractive actress, and the fact that she is characterized as "ugly" in this drama, kinda makes me mad. It is indicative of general Korean society that they value aesthetics above everything. It's a real shame that Seul Gi is not getting 16-20 episode dramas where she can showcase her skills and charm.

oldkrone
Sep 25, 2017
I watched this drama after finishing SPLASH SPLASH LOVE, which I really liked but thought of as too short and the actors had made me really curious about their other works, so I stumbled upon Queen of the Ring and was pleasantly surprised to see not only one but two actors from SSL in this drama as the main characters.

- Cast/Acting
I genuinely like Kim Seulgi, most of all her acting, besides of the fact that she is really pretty and youthful looking, too. She did an amazing job in this drama, in my opinion, and I'm excited to watch more films and dramas with her in the cast. Ahn Hyosub surprised me with his great performances and I was the most curious about him due to his little screen time in SSL. I'll definitely check out more of him!
The side characters were few but all really amusing and played by great actors. Lee Taesun is definitely someone I'll keep my eye on. While only with little screen time I liked the parents the most as side characters!

- Story
Before watching and only reading the story summary of this drama I was a bit skeptical but it turned out that I fell completely in love with the story of this drama. Things one can maybe except with such a premise don't happen and positively surprised me, which made me like this drama even more. There was no character I didn't like and everyone had great development. The ending of this drama was very sweet and made me want to keep on watching, even though there would be no more.

This is a very heartwarming short drama worth watching.

amy jones
Jan 28, 2018
Honestly I have no words for this drama other than what the actually bleep were they thinking when they wrote this. The plot could have been nice if not for the fact the main girl was basically roasted left right and centre for her appearance. I'm a little cringy person that likes to hear the whole "you're the most beautiful thing I've ever seen" sorta lines, even when I know they're just plain lying, it's just nice to hear. But in this drama the girl was actually wrecked and basically called an ugly apple the entire show. The only guy that was actually nice to her was her childhood friend which sucked cause the main guy was a 10/10 in the looks department.

Basically watch this when you're having one of those days where you like it when the main guy is just genuinely an asshole and that should learn that by dating an "ugly" girl he's not saving the universe like he seems to think he is. Dunno why I took this one personally but the heroine was a lil cutie so I felt a bit bad for her.

Cho Na
Sep 8, 2019
STORY
This short drama depicts the classic and universal problem of self esteem that rampage in modern society caused by greed of things we don't have that we don't need but those are what we want. Mo Nan-Hee has many positive traits: cute, smart, talent, college education, supportive friends, loving parents, etc etc. But when the campus flower boy Park Se-Gun poses in her art class, suddenly Nan-Hee realizes that she wants Se-Gun, although all she needs is self-esteem which not necessarily to be fulfilled by having a handsome boyfriend. After brooding for 6 months in her room looking at Se-Gun's portrays, mom came with a secret weapon: the magical ring, Here goes the sad comedy: bunch of lies Nan-Hee spills when dating See-Gun, and more lies when Nan-Hee finds out who Se-Gun's dream girl is Mi-Joo, who is none other than Nan-Hee's child hood frenemy heading over for reunion. The twists in the last scenes are quite interesting.

CAST/ACTING
The talented actress and comedian Kim Seul-Gi brilliantly brought up the female lead to live, opposite to sweet and handsome Ahn Hyo-seop as the arrogant selfish male lead. Both are experienced actor/actress and supporting characters especially Lee Tae Sun who plays as long-time friend Tae-Hyun and actor/actress who play Nan-Hee's parents did really well. I applaud the costume and make-up crew that transformed beautiful Kim Seul-Gi to plain Nan-Hee, though not so for changing Ahn Hyo-seop's hair to wavy blond (he looks better with dark hair in the last fashion show scene). The costume for fashion shows are gorgeous too watch also.

REWATCH VALUE
Not necessarily I will watch again as lighthearted drama to pass the boring nights/weekends, as I do not necessarily like the characterization of the main leads most of the drama. I think Nan-Hee should end up with Tae-Hyun instead as he always sees the real Nan-Hee, or she does not end up with either Se-Gun or Tae-Hyun but will come out as more independent mature woman.

OVERALL
Although the drama is short and bittersweet, but I it can bring up the changes of main leads characterization that can make me give a 10 but the change of the couple's flawed characters started only in the last scenes of the last episode makes me a bit disappointed with the way the drama is written/directed.

season
Aug 26, 2017
I have a lot of mixed feelings towards this drama. A lot of things it did well, some things not so much.

STORY:
First of all, the drama itself doesn't really care about the sense of the story. It's very rushed (well, it's a short web series drama, but still, lol) and doesn't really pay attention to key elements like the whole logic of the ring and how it actually works. Nevertheless, I'm cutting it some slack since it IS a web series.
The overall message of "You don't have to be beautiful to be loved, when someone loves you, you are beautiful in their eyes" is very important. Some people call this drama shallow + for Korea's beauty standard, but being honest, not everyone is beautiful on the outside, it's just not how it is. There's all different kinds of shapes and body types we were born with that we are stuck with, but they make us who we are. We can't change it, but when someone truthfully loves us, they will see us more beautiful than any model could ever be, and that's the truth. I think this message in the drama was done very well for a measly 6 episodes. If this drama was over 10 episodes, it would easily lose it's meaning and purpose, in my opinion. The message is not something that takes a long time to present.

CHARACTERS:
I was indifferent towards both leads. On one hand, I would love the female lead's determination, stubbornness, and just being an overall enthusiastic character, but I'd get fed up with her being very shallow and thinking, "Well, I might as well be someone else, I just want his love. I don't care about him actually loving ME." But that's because she's never thought it was ever possible. She's gotten used to her being a "backstage" person and thought she'd die alone. She's still young and she has a lot of immature thoughts, but that just shows her character has flaws. Her growth wasn't very well executed, but again for 6 episodes it did work somehow. As for the male lead, he was EXTREMELY shallow, only caring about a girl's looks, but throughout the story he was gaining character and he was showing his own type of struggle, no matter how shallow it was. You can think this all sounds stupid, BUT keep in mind: both these leads who had these ideals their ENTIRE life, changed just by simply falling in love with each other in a short period of time. They aren't the greatest characters, but they represent their situation the best I could ever see it presented. Their chemistry was bad and nonexistent up until the last 2 episodes, in my opinion, but it's probably because of the fact absolutely no development or the message that the story was trying to portray came into place until the last 2 episodes. As far as the side characters, they were cute and gave me a bit of chuckles. The writers showed that even the side characters had their struggles. They weren't perfect. There was no evil villain or cliche backstabbing friend in this drama. This drama felt very human to me and accurate on society nowadays when it comes to the topics discussed in the drama.

ACTING/CAST:
They were pretty average. The male lead's actor was a SWOON. Literal definition. There were some scenes I think could've been better but I think it was probably the director's decision rather than the actual actors/actresses.

MUSIC:
Average... sometimes very annoying. The times at which they chose to play music felt out of place, sometimes the volume would go up loud out of no where trying to display emotion, but it reaaaaaally annoyed me. Yes, I know dramas usually do the cliche emotional music scenes, but these were just really out of place and waaaaay too much. Could've turned the music lower and made it less dramatic and instead just what the scene actually implied.

REWATCH VALUE:
I would totally give this a watch again on a weekend. It's just really short and cute. If I ever felt bad about my appearance a particular day, or worrying I'd die alone, this would be something I'd watch. It's lighthearted, not too serious, but still cute and emotional when you look at the overall picture.

OVERALL:
Being 100% honest, this is something really good to watch when you're feeling bad about yourself. It's only 6 episodes and rather short but gets to the entire point rather fast. If you're looking for a short but meaningful reminder in life, (because well, we ALL need reminders time to time) this is the perfect drama for you. It's worth watching just for the last 2 episodes.

OhSoEnthusiastic
Nov 3, 2017
Perfection. Absolute perfection. Came for Kim Seul Gi, stayed for the story (that hits close to home), fell in love with all of the characters, wasn't disappointed by the handling of the subject matter. This is what I want from a drama. It just sucks it wasn't longer, because there's so much more that could have been said and explored (and turned into ooey-gooey romantic moments), but any longer than it was and the story probably would have dragged and become frustrating, so I'll just say it's perfection and leave it at that, lol.
Hello13
Dec 3, 2017
HALFWAY THROUGH THE DRAMA REVIEW
Although I do like the drama, the cute moments are not enjoyable. This is because I know that it is fake, he likes her because of her look. I feel really bad for her, seriously. How can she feel loved when she knows that the one this guy 'loves' is not her, it must be very heartbreaking.. I enjoy the moments she has with him as herself (let's call this A) more than the moments she has with him as the 'beautiful' version of herself (let's call this B).

FINISHED THE DRAMA REVIEW
In terms of story, I find the concept original and interesting. I have not seen any drama with this kind of story before. Moreover, it is also a drama with beautiful takehome messages: 1. Never judge a book by its cover; 2. It does not matter whether someone is pretty or not, they will look pretty when you love them. However, despite the beautiful message and original storyline, I do find the first half of the drama kinda uncomfortable to watch. This is because (reason stated above).

In terms of acting/casts, I love all the casts. While some people have mentioned that the main lead is not likable. I, personally, find him likable. Moreover, although this is a web drama with only 6 episodes, I can clearly see the character development of all of the characters. I can see them grow and change for the better. Salute for the writer. Tbh, I do have a slight SLS in this drama, however, since I find the main lead also likable, it is not that severe for me. Hope the other guy will find someone for him too!

In terms of music, I dont think there is any memorable or particular ost for this drama. All the music seem like a background song for the scenes, not really an OST. In short, there is no particular music/song I will think of when thinking of this drama.

In terms of rewatch value, I dont think I will rewatch it. It is nice for a one time watch, not so much of a rewatch.

In conclusion, I do recommend this drama to all of you! Please do be patient for the first half tho hehe

Jun 5, 2017
The final series of the main drama contains the fantasy element as the other two, but it has some mystery as well. The story is okay, but there were some things that bothered me: first of all, the drama condemned it's leading lady as ugly, when she clearly wasn't. The beauty queen was model like, but still the girl wasn't so ugly. Then the romance was odd. I mean, clearly the guy fell for her looks and wanted to date her because of her appearance. So, wasn't the girl bothered that she was lying to him or that he was falling for someone who wasn't her? Other than that, the drama was good and interesting, with the thrill of the guy finding her out keeping it interesting, though the ending was weak, as the story was roughly concluded. So, 5 out of 10.

NutsyNoona
May 13, 2017
I first started this web drama just because Kim Seul Gi was the main. Not even bothering checking the summary.
And I won't lie, at first I was not sold. AT. ALL. KSG’s character is supposed to be ugly, so ugly there’s no way anyone would fall in love with her, especially not a “pretty boy”. It would have made more sense to describe her character as “average” but irradiating such a low self-confidence that it would impact her relationships and how others see her. Also her character keeps wallowing in self-pity, especially at the beginning of the drama. It was just very cringeworthy.
However, once I passed the first half mark, I started really getting into this drama. After all, the aim of this series is pretty sweet: it essentially criticizes the fact that “beauty” is so predominant in our society - and in this case especially in South Korea. Also they managed to wrap up the drama in a sweet way, instead of the hot mess I was dreading.
So yes, it was far from perfect, but I still don’t regret watching this drama. Actually, I may even rewatch it, bc I’m cheesy trash.