Just Between Lovers

hardpliers
Jan 30, 2018
I wanted to be one of the first ones to write this review. Why? I didn’t even finish the last episode properly yet. Because this drama completely played with my emotions and made the beginning of 2018 so amazing!

Seldom can dramas make me feel this frustrated, excited, bubbly all in one episode. That’s what an incredible drama should do with you - completely play with your feelings, make you question certain things. The genre is definitely melodramatic so prepare to feel heart-broken and to weep a whole lot. However, this is also a realistic drama showing the unfortunate lives of two humans and their natural approach to romantic love. Seeing the two characters develop feelings for each other and being connected in the past made my heart oh so weak. I’m a sucker for the main characters to have a bomb chemistry. And oh boy, the lead actors killed it! First, Won Jin Ah is currently one of the most memorable young and starting actresses out there for me. She was so professional with how she transferred her character’s feelings. I have to say, this was my first time seeing Lee Jun Ho’s performance as well and not only is he an amazing actor, but a singer as well. Speaking about music, the OST was so sincere, the songs made such an impact on all of the scenes, and me included. To add, I appreciate that the viewers got to see the different lives and struggles of the supporting characters. Each of them have their own unique story which makes this drama worth rewatching all over again!

(Also, I felt the need to address something as well. Never drop a drama if you’re not sure on how the ending is going to turn out like. The natural progression of the drama, the characters, their developing stories are what make this series worth watching.)

Overall, this drama makes you appreciate life even more and live your life to the fullest every day somehow. I bow down to the creators of this drama for giving me a thrilling rollercoaster ride full of incredible emotions!

Gwennklover132
Jan 30, 2018
Just Between Lovers is such an incredible Korean drama. I was always looking forward to the next episode and wishing it wasn't coming to an end. This is now my favourite drama and one that would never forget. I would say that the story line really hit home to me, it made me feel all kind of emotions but it never got confusing.  This also was a realistic drama sharing the story of a tragic event that affected not only the two main characters but the support roles and this was also why i love this drama  so much and it is worth rewatching as it shows how they dealt with their own hardships and how each one is connected one way or another. I really don't see the characters being played by other actors, I truly believe that the cast was chosen perfectly and a lot of hard effort was put in by the staff and cast. I would say that the songs that were played through out the series gave that finally touch and really made an huge impact as it gave out all the feels to me as the viewer.

Overall, this drama gives you that realisation about life, if what you are doing is making you happy and creating a better you. I cant really write a long review but I would definitely recommend this drama to everyone. It is a MUST WATCH. I really don't think this one is the type to drop or not be interested in.I wouldn't be surprise if Just Between Lovers win awards this year, I am totally rooting for them.

Jeana
Feb 18, 2018
I had a lot of mix feelings while watching this show. Going in, I was totally unaware of what I was getting into. I hadn’t read its synopsis, reviews, related comments and mostly flicked past the screencaps in the feeds. So in the first half as I realized what the drama was about, it hit me personally because of multiple reasons. I wanted it to be more raw and painful at times and at others, it got so real that I had to press pause and take a break from my own thoughts.

Then, somewhere in between Just Between Lovers took a turn down the typical K-Drama alley. It became overly melodramatic and sappy. In order to create a tragic hero, they piled every problem possible in the world on his beautiful shoulders and there was only so much I could buy before I started giving it the side-eye. Physical health  problems gave precedence to mental. I won’t say that it romanticized mental illness but it did gloss over it all. PTSD does not randomly vanish like this.

However, despite all this, one thing that was very clear to me at the end of it all was how much I enjoyed this show throughout. I was even more relieved than disappointed because of all the tropes it chose to follow because they provided the much needed escapism we look for in dramas. Even though, it dealt with heavy issues it didn’t drown in it. There was always a comedic gesture, a heartwarming moment and a swoon-worthy interaction between the leads to balance things out.

I think this drama had one of the best K-Drama romances ever. This was exactly the kind of relationship I fall for. It was a beautiful slow burn, where two people grow individually and together. They go through obstacles, they have their highs and lows and they become stronger through them- both in harmony and independently. And, it was all absolutely beautiful to watch. I’ve never been this starved for skinship between the leads and when it finally happened, it was so sweet and intimate that it was worth the wait.

Both the main leads were very dear to me. Gang Doo was simply an angel. I don’t think people like him exist in this world anymore but it would be a huge relief if they did. Moon Soo, even though some of her actions at the end were questionable was undeniably a sweetheart. There were some side characters I was lowkey annoyed with (Think: Second Male Lead, Second Female lead (though she had her moments) and the female lead’s parents) because of how much they victimized themselves even when other people had it far worse. But at the same time, I also adored a lot of other characters. Like basically everyone related to Gang Doo; his grandmother, his Doona, his brother figure and his team leader. You know what they say, good people are surrounded by good people.

As far as the acting goes, I won’t say it was exceptionally outstanding or that I was floored by it. Their inexperience and freshness shined through however, this worked out in their favor. Because the way the two portrayed their characters was so sincere and natural that it didn’t fail to capture the audience and touch hearts.

One of the best things about the show is the OST. I really recommend watching this show in a print that has the songs subbed while they play in the background. The lyrics are so meaningful to the plot and the play timing is perfect. So when you know what the songs are saying at a particular moment, it gives all the more depth and insight to the story. And it’s simply gorgeous.

So ultimately, Just Between Lovers is a show about healing, friendship, love, serenity and brilliant dialogues. Even though it develops slowly and maximizes emotion, it’s never boring. There are some tears here and there but with that comes so much more hope and so much more warmth.

Definitely recommend.
Enjoy!

winterluna
Jan 30, 2018
I can’t believe that this show is already over. Just Between Lovers will be forever one of those dramas I would kill for. I’ve mostly cried my eyes but I'm so grateful for all the emotions I could feel when watching the episodes.

STORY
The story of this drama feels very realistic and unique. The cinematography was beautiful and I enjoyed the aesthetically pleasing scenes more than it's even possible. You could see that every character was actually very deeply developed and the creators really made an excellent work concentrating on small details. It was amazing how you could feel all the emotions coming from the characters and you could easily empathise with them. There weren't really any "good or bad" characters. They were only people struggling with life and their fears and it made an incredible impression on me. The connection was also definitely very strong between the main leads and not to mention the chemistry between them! Oh boy, my heart is thanks to this drama really heart-broken and overwhelmed at the same time.

ACTING/CAST
I have legitimately no words. The acting was incredible. I’m so proud of the whole cast for doing such a great job. The main leads really killed it. Lee Kang Doo portrayed by Lee Jun Ho is a character who I would protect at all costs. He suffered so much and I still can't believe that Lee Jun Ho was able to portray him so realistically. He didn't have to say anything and you could already feel the character's emotions through his eyes. The same goes for Won Jin Ah. She also did an incredible job and the fact that she's a starting actress, wow.  Lastly, I have to mention the chemistry again. Their relationship was obviously very important in the storyline and I loved the story behind their connection. I couldn't be more satisfied with their passionate performances.

MUSIC
I always forget to notice music in dramas but this was so painful to watch that I heard the music in my ears louder than ever. The songs definitely made a big impact on the scenes and also on my weak heart.

OVERALL
Honestly, I don’t have all the proper words to fully describe my thoughts about this drama. It was so tragically sad and realistic and I’m so amazed by this. I’m amazed about the plot, about the cast, about everything. How I said before, the acting was in my point of view incredible and the characters made the plot even more unique. Even though I emotionally suffered so much, I'd love to rewatch this when I get the chance to.

Lilly07
Apr 18, 2018
This drama has made a serious impact on my life. It made me rethink a lot of things. The story was absolutely beautiful and totally overwhelmed me. The trauma they have and the way the actors portrayed this was heartbreaking.
I honestly am just writing this review to talk about Junho. He made me cry, laugh and love him. The scenes in which he just breaks down, because of the trauma, they were heart wrenching in a very good way. He is an amazing actor, and even those words are not enough to express how amazing he was to me. He broke my heart, mended it, stepped on it and healed it again. He is honestly the best actor I have seen in any film, from South Korea or anywhere else.
I would recommend this drama to anyone, the story was entertaining and beautifully heartbreaking. The way the characters develop is just a down to earth and an original portrayal in my opinion. To me, the characters were in sync with reality, which made me love them even more.

Maggy
Jan 31, 2018
Let me be clear from the beginning: I absolutely love this drama and it will forever be one of my favorites :) The story, cast and music just fit so perfectly that one can really not put it into words. You have to watch this!

A boy and girl meet during an accident where a building colapses and the two are buried underneath the concrete. Both are rescued in the end, but this incident leaves them, and also many others, with different levels of struggles and pain.
A very sad story with a lot of struggles that turns into a beautiful life lesson. Seriously, I haven't come across a drama where such a sad begining turns into a wonderful peace of art, like it did here.

Acting/Cast:
All the cast members do a splendid job here, they depict their characters perfectly so you love and hate them in all the right places. Actually, there is no character that I hate in the end, although I hated him or her inbetween. Everything is resolved in the end. And then there are the main characters Moon Soo and Gang Doo, who are the above mentioned boy and girl. Moon Soo is played by Won Jin Ah and although she seems a little reserved in the beginning, she really did a great job overall.
And now, let me come to the star of this show. Lee Junho (of 2PM) as Gang Doo. GIVE THIS MAN AN AWARD! His acting is so perfect, so real that you can't help but fall in love with Gang Doo. Every little emotion Gang Doo feels is visible thanks to Junho -  wow, wow, wow! I didn't know him before, as I didn't watch Chief Kim, but now I've become a sucker for Junho (and 2PM xD) thanks to his acting here.

This drama has another great feature that lies in the music. Or rather, the lack of music. There are moments in this drama were there is no sound at all and you have no choice but to immerse into the emotions the characters feel. And that are the moments where it gets reaaaaally intense. Great! Also, if there is music, it always fits and is never too much. Another good point: Junho himself sang one of the songs of the OST and it's just beautiful!

Rewatch Value:
Yes, will definitely rewatch this at some point in time. Even if it's only to see Gang Doo's emotions!

Overall:
This drama deserves an award. Or better, a lot of them. It is really amazing and took my kdrama experience to a whole new level. An emotional rollercoaster that is worth all the ups and downs! It's simply a masterpiece. I bow my head to the writers, directors, actors, and all the other people who worked on this. Thank you!

Sandysan
Feb 1, 2018
This drama BREAKS the STEREOTYPES of a normal kdrama!!!
- the male lead is NOT portrayed as a wealthy powerful man with whole of the universe revolving around him
- he is NOT someone who is chased by dozens of girls for his popularity
- the female lead is not negative minded and is  really a positive minded person
- no character is obsessive or obusive
- NO CHARACTER is hatable.. i mean, eventhough u are annoyed the second male lead and the director for some eps, once u get to know them more, u will not hate them..
- no crazy annoying love triangle
-the second lead girl is NOT evil at all.. rather she is likable as episodes progress..
- Everyone has their own problems. They deal it in their own way..
- daebak chemistry between main couple
- not only the chemistry, gang doo's relation with his granny, noona, little sister, sangman etc were amazingly portrayed..
- the love story between the webtoon writer&artist, director&noona, they were well written..
- the ending concentrated on all characters life that was amazing..
- TOTALLY THIS DRAMA WAS PORTRAYED IN A REALISTIC MANNER.. it takes through many emotions..

This drama has many amazing quotes too..  Most lovable drama and i am sure u will fall in love with junhoo at end..
Finally the drama is daebak and it breaks off all cliches of kdramas..

OanaGabriela
Jan 31, 2018
What a beautifully made drama! I am glad I gave it a shot despite its melodramatic premises. What I liked about it: chemistry between the leads is great, which is always something that is a decisive factor when deciding to continue with a kdrama; the pain and struggles were depicted realistically; there were no evil characters, just flawed ones and I lappreciated how they gathered a bunch of characters which had time to show both their good and bad sides; the music was at times heart-wrenching and perfectly matched the emotions shown on screen; not too much office drama/ business talk, even if a lot of the plot revolves around a professional setting. What I LOVED about it: it made me reflect upon my own life and choices, and it made me become even more grateful for what I have. Just Between Lovers has not only an  entertaining value, but it also tells a beautiful story in which  pain is not erased, rather embraced and celebrated as a core human emotion.

dfla
Mar 4, 2018
I usually don't write reviews, but I felt the need to do so for this drama.
I mostly don't watch melodramas, they're too... melodramatic, I guess? So, yeah, not a fan of the genre, but I loved this drama and it was THE best melodrama I've watched so far (not that I've watched many, but yeah...)
I "walked into " this drama not really knowing what to expect, I hadn't seen the genre of the drama or read comments or reviews and had barely read the synopsis, the only thing I really knew about the drama was that Junho was the male lead, and since I had never seen him act I was very curious. What I didn't expect was his acting to be that good! I was awestruck, I forgot who he was. I genuinely forgot he was Junho, I could only see him as Lee Kang Doo. I felt like I was feeling what he was feeling, his suffering, his desperation, his happiness, everything. So yeah, his actign was one of the reasons why I kept watching the drama and decided to write this review.
Another reason was that I felt like this drama portrayed very accurately the "consequences" of such a tragedy. All of it seemed natural from the character's actions and the way they thought, to the way the plot developed. I liked how they included everyone who was affected by the accident , from Lee Kang Doo and Moon Soo, who were survivors, to the victims families and even the architect in charge of the design and his family.
Anyway, I'm not very good at making reviews, but yeah... I really recommend this drama.

sassynoona
Mar 28, 2018
In a sea of overused tropes and tireless storylines, there is JUST BETWEEN LOVERS–a drama that dares to be quiet in a world that exists in noise...and makes itself heard not by the sound it makes, but how it makes you feel.

This is a beautiful drama that draws its inspiration from life itself and all the hardships and triumphs that come along with it. It somehow manages to take the simplistic and mundane of life and make it strangely beautiful. And I think that's why it resonates with so many people. It's not a story about a poor girl winning the heart of a rich, cold-hearted man or a story of a girl who can see ghosts and walk with goblin's.

It's just a story about life and the pain that comes with it. And I think it's a story that echos the life of so many people. The hardship of losing a loved one and being the one left behind. Being filled with self-hate and guilt for being the one that lived. Learning how to appreciate the little moments in life that make your heart swell, even though they are brief and flitting because they are what make life worth living. All these moments and more that we encounter in life are in this drama and I guarantee you, you will not walk away from this show untouched.

So I hope you will take a chance on a story like this one and love every piece of it for what it is. A story about two people, living life, and learning how to brace the hardships and triumphs of life together.

Tanii
Apr 14, 2018
Since I started watching Asian Dramas this year, I was waiting for one which would compel me to write a review on it, and behold, Just Between Lovers did just that.
If you love characters with heavy pasts, and a future that you cannot wait to see change, then this is a drama you absolutely have to watch.

I've always thought that a good drama must play with your emotions to the extent that it makes you feel like watching the end first just so you won't be miserable waiting for it, and even though you know what's going to happen, you still feel your heart ache with joy or pain, you still feel frustrated, excited and eager to watch the next episode. Just Between Lovers hits all those emotions for me.

This drama tells the story of individuals sharing a tragic event in their past and what kind of people it turns them into. The past connecting to the future is an element that when used well, can become an explosive and beautiful story.

It is amazing to watch something that is so real and makes you feel all the raw emotions that the characters are feeling. All the characters were well played and important on their own. This drama shows you that no matter what you may be feeling, you're not alone. All of characters have their own losses of the accident and their own pain, granted some of the sorrows are greater than the other, but that doesn't mean that they hurt the person any less.

The main characters didn't have a hot and happening love story, albeit they had a realistic romance, one, that is worth so much more than the skinship and the kisses, which is another reason that I fell in love with this drama. The natural chemistry that came from their glances, or the way they spoke to each other was a whole lot better I could imagine.

The OSTs makes you feel so many more emotions when combined with the parts that the different songs play at. The songs complemented the parts so well and effortlessly that they implant themselves into your head and remind you of the beauty they are.

In conclusion, this makes you want to binge it to no extent and wish it didn't end within only 16 episodes. With some really great dialogues, and lovely acting, Just Between Lovers is a drama that has made it's way into my heart, and will probably do the same to you.

I leave you with one of my favorite lines from this drama so that you have something to look forward to when watching this show :) :
"You said this before, "Don't be relieved thinking that this is the rock bottom. If this is not rock bottom, how many more underground levels are there?" - Lee Gang Doo <3

ingridnaus
Jan 31, 2018
Just Between Lovers is my favourite drama. There is nothing about this drama that I don't love. So vulnerable, sincere and beautiful. The cast and crew really put their best efforts into this, and it shows. This show is a reminder that film-making is an art form, and that, if done right, it can truly move people.

In a world where money is the number one influence in creative production, we strive more than ever for a feeling of sincerity. If you're looking for a breath of fresh air, this is definitely for you.