Marmalade Boy (2018) poster

Sep 29, 2018
Wow, this movie was a roller coaster! The first part was really cute and funny. The second part nervewracking for sure. May I add here a huge SPOIL ALERT and say to anyone who might be wondering, that this movie does not have insest in it. It just a major twist in the movie, but they just played with it for a while, having you wonder why the hell this one wasn't under the drama-tragic ending category.
On the other hand, the first part was really adorable, manga like movie. The love story was cute and the family matter, confusing, but funny. The movie is well made as well and the performances very good.

russian white bear
Oct 25, 2018
i like how the story run at full speed, going straight to business. really i wish all romance is even half as fast paced as this movie. i dont wanna spend two hours watching frustrating silly misunderstanding just to ssee the leads being together in the end.

also its really commendable and hilarious how they managed throw all those 'wrong', 'guilty' cards from the beginning to right until near the end. i couldnt hold my cringy laugh when they face their parents at the end. tho i ddint expect the truth to be more complicated than i thoought.

the music isnt something i would listen outside the movie but its done its job for the movie.

Kannadin
Nov 15, 2018
Personal Rate: 7.5
Overall Rate based on the different criteria: 7

Story: 6

Marmalade Boy used to be in my childhood, one of the most popular shoujo published. I personally never could get why, as the plot was ridiculous, and the angst was just through the roof. The original manga is filled with useless monologues and soliloquies that could have easily been avoided through simple discussions. Basically, you have an 8 volumes manga which only relies on miscommunication to create a story starting from our mains' parents.

So how does this movie fares?

It follows the original story albeit with minor changes. Some characters only appear as fan service when they basically have a pretty important role in the manga particularly in the case of Arimi and Ginta whose whole storyline just vanish.
Now, it is actually its forte. Yes. The fact that we don't have to deal with all the useless drama, love triangle or quadrangle or pentagons or whatever, useless discussions and monologues and tears is what makes this movie so much more enjoyable than the original material.
There's still angst but it's toned down A LOT and because it's a movie, we don't really have time to dwell on it too much.

As long as you don't think too much about how totally nuts the starting point of this story is, my only complain would be that we don't really get to see the growing romance between Yuu and Miki and thus I felt detached from their whole drama by the end of the story. I couldn't really get behind the supposed angst.

Acting/cast: 8

Good not outstanding but again, I'm not sure they really had room to show any acting prowess either. So I really can't blame the cast for it... This being said.... Thankfully there are not many kiss scenes because MAN! That was awkward. Touching lips is not kissing guys!
I wish directors would stop doing closeups when actors are faking so obviously. Just film it from afar, we get it they're in love... If you do closeups, well, film REAL kisses not... that. THAT is so fake and awkward seriously...

Music: 8

Good not outstanding. Forgettable but pleasant overall and fitted well with the scenes.

Rewatch value: 5

If you're a fan of the manga or the actors... If that's not the case, it's a pleasant movie to relax on the weekend or if you're in the mood for a high school romance but it's not memorable enough to bother rewatching.

Overall: 7

If you're not familiar with the manga and do not wish to read it, it's a good way to watch the main storyline without having any nervous breakdown about how overly dramatic all these characters are.
If you disliked the manga, maybe you'll reconcile with this author (who LOVES drama for nothing) thanks to this movie.
If you're a fan of Wataru Yoshizumi... You might pass this one... It is faithful overall but you're bound to be disappointed as some favorite characters, and by some I'm mostly referring to Ginta, are neglected. If you want to give it a try, obviously you're to expect that 8 volumes can't be squished into a 2 hours movie even by the most brilliant of scenarist.

Overall, it's a cute high school movie, that brings out the best of a very very very popular shoujo in its time and does a very good job at introducing it to younger generations.

Patricia
Sep 30, 2018
Marmalade Boy is based on the same title manga released between 1992 - 1995. This is the 2nd live action adaptation ever made, the first one being a Taiwanese drama in 2002 therefore expectations were high. To increase expectations further, it ought to be mentioned that this adaptation is a movie and also that there is an anime version of the story comprised of 76 episodes.

For fans of the story such as myself, who have watched both the drama and the anime, the movie falls short on so many fronts, it's surreal. This is not to say that the movie wasn’t enjoyable; it was but there was so much that was left out and unexplored due to the time length of the film which was normal yet, there is this nagging that after all this time fans deserved more than a movie, fans deserved at least a 10 episode drama to make the story justice instead of putting together a something that felt really rushed on screen, that made secondary characters, third, fourth in the story i.e. Meiko's love story with Shinichi Namura is only briefly dabbed upon and her story arch with Satoshi where they date for a while (when she tries to forget Mr. Namura and then realizes she can't) doesn't appear; Arimi & Ginta's relationship is non-existant - both appear in the movie, of course but their partnership to tear Yuu & Miki's apart or their subsequent feelings for one another are left out and Suzu and Kei do not appear in the movie at all.

Acting wise and of course, here it's a matter of preference when one is a fan of the story. Yoshizawa Ryo was not convincing as Yuu. He wasn't bad but somehow since the movie cast was announced and the movie was released it there has been a continuous struggle to see him as the character, regardless of how much I try. Sato Taiki as Ginta on the other hand looked and felt spot on.

Movies have to be selective. There’s no time in focusing too much on characters other than the main if it’s not essential to the story’s development but fans wanted to see those stories, fans deserved those stories and at the end it was just satisfying because fans got something which was better than nothing, so thank you but far too unsatisfying because the story was too rushed and parts of it way unexplored. So for fans, this movie is not worth it. It’s better to re-watch the drama or the anime.

For those coming into to the story for the first time, the movie is nice to watch. It's cute and the story makes sense, encorporating key elements of the manga. It's a pretty light romantic comedy that one can watch eating popcorn but it's nothing special. The drama & the anime are better so if after watching the movie there is still interest in the story watch those.

iNeedSomeJisoos
Oct 1, 2018
This was truly enjoyable from start to finish.

I’ll admit, the whole idea of “swapping parents” may be a bit confusing, but you’ll understand it.
The production was just amazing and gave a nice warm feeling with the atmosphere. It’s been a while since I’ve watched a Japanese film that gives off the same feeling as this one.

I’m sure this film left out some parts that were in the anime & drama, but all movie adaptations tend to have to squeeze in the original into a few hours, and this was really good in the eyes of a new viewer of the story like me.

Would I recommend? Definitely! It’s not too cheesy, which can be frequent in a lot of Japanese movies imo. The plot is not too cliche and keeps you thinking about what will happen in the end- which I was satisfied with too!

hardpliers
Oct 28, 2018
I've been waiting a long time to watch this. Like the majority of people on here, I was such a huge fan of the anime and manga in my childhood. The story might shock and make a weird first impression for some, but I was already acquainted with the whole storyline. Basically: a dysfunctional Asian family (what's new drama world, huh?), "forbidden" love, high school life and lots of misunderstandings. As I remembered, the anime was quite long, but the story was so captivating, even the side stories of other characters. Naturally, it's difficult to squeeze in 50+ episode worth of story into a 2 hour movie, therefore, the movie was missing lots of key scenes from the original plot. This should've been made into a live drama adaptation. However, from a more positive view, I did enjoy the cinematic and the warm colors, the leads and their acting (surprisingly). Personally, I'd say it's an OK movie, better than an average shojo manga adaptation.

Would I suggest watching this? Sure, if you were a fan of the originals. But if are intrigued by the abnormal storyline, definitely start from the manga and climb your way up to this movie.

Marumerong
Oct 15, 2018

It doesn't live up to the manga's fame

I was so hyped with this movie. Marmalade Boy is one of my all-time fav mangas, and the anime was my childhood frame by frame. I alway craved for a live action, because the taiwanes adaptation was an absurdity. So I was looking very forward to this. I've been aware of everything that came out from the movie, shooting pictures, the official promo, sneak peeks, trailers... Absolutly everything. So I was very hyped with this. So the half year of waiting between the cinema realase, and being able to watch it was incredibly long. Did it worth the wait? Well... let's see it in the review!

First of all, let's talk about the casting choices and charectization. I think overall the cast wasn't bad. For me the most important was the choice of Yu. He was my childhood crush and I remember myself being horrorified when I found out the taiwanes version. So I was very happy to see that in this adaptation he was a tall, solf-looking blond guy like in the manga. I have to admit that in the film Yoshizawa Ryo couldn't bring out all Yu's charisma, but the expectation was just way too high. For Miki, the actress choice was also alright. Although, for me it should be a little bit more tomboyish. In the manga Miki is an energetic girl, always in a ponytail, that never really pays attention to what she wears. I kinda miss Miki's energy and stuborness. In the film, the only time when we see her stubborness is in being against her parents re-marriage.
The parent's were so-so. I always picture them as two very young and lively couples. Always happy and noisy. In the movie we see a more mature and quite version of them that I didn't particulary enjoyed. They are very funny characters, that in the film pass to a second plane.
Also, I wasn't 100% happy with Meiko's character or actress choice. I always pictured Meiko as an stunning beauty full of elegance and very mature for her age. And even though Yuki Mio is super pretty, I don't think she fits as Meiko. Also Meiko's character depth is not visible. Meiko is a depresive character that pretends to be happy and have a perfect life when she doesn't. In the film we can not see this side of Meiko. In the manga I like Meiko more than Miki, but the film does not do justice to her.
Also there were three characters that I wasn't completly happy with. They where Ginta, Miwa and Arimi. In the manga they are three of the main characters, and in the film they are just in a few scenes. They are three of the best characters, and their impact in the movie is null. Specially Arimi, that looks only like Yu's fangirl. And even though she enters the story like that, she's one of the characters with more development and shows how strong minded and powerfull girl she is. And in the movie, if we don't pay attention, we don't even get to know that there's a character named Arimi. The same goes for Miwa. He has a strong relationship with Yu, that we can't truly see in the movie. As for Ginta, he's kinda the same as Arimi, but fancing Miki. It's true that he has more presence in the film, but we don't get to see the funny and clumsy Ginta that everybody loved in the manga.

Regarding the plot, I think it was very messy. Marmalade Boy is not a super long manga, it's only a 6 books manga. And for a manga that means short (just remember that mangas as Naruto are over 70 books). I understand that not everysingle detail can do it into the movie, but the plot was so tasteless. It didn't have any depth. It doesn't pay any attention to other main characters (in the movie minor characters), as I mentioned above. But even the main pair story was poorly told. The development was fast and out of nowhere. They didn't give any clue ahead of the acts, they just pop out out of nowhere and leave you confused. Even knowing the story, I was confussed watching the film. There were a lot of disconnected things, so I can imagine people who are newbies in Marmalade Boy being kinda lost.
I think they had a funny and emotional story in their hands, yet they didn't knew how to transfer that into a movie. I think they centered it way too much between Yu and Miki's relationship. And even though they are the mains, for me the best point of Marmalade Boy is the six young characters relationships between them, that, as I said, we don't get to taste in the movie.

So, is it worth it? I don't know. The act is not bad neither the movie's horrible, but it just doesn't live up to the manga fame. Maybe I have way too high expectations when it comes to Marmalade Boy, but I ended up with a very bittersweet feeling. I like it because is a Marmalade Boy adaptation, hence, I didn't like how they portrayed Marmalade Boy. If you watch the movie without reading the manga, then maybe you will like it slightly more. Even though I 100% recommend you to read it after finishing the film. If you did read it, then I think you will end up with the same feeling as I did. I think we will still need to wait for the perfect live action for the shoujo manga by excellence.

I think I will need to watch it again to fully judge, but the truth is thay I don't have any motivation to watch it again any time soon.
Hope this review will help you. And one last time I'm going to repeat myself, I strongly recommend Marmalade Boy's manga. It's short and funny, and a must-read-shoujo manga. Thanks for reading! ^^

Nov 13, 2018
The trailer looked promising with so much action and important parts of the anime / manga; however, the movie was not delivered as expected. The actors who play the two main characters, Miki and Yuu, have wonderful chemistry onscreen, but Hinako Sakurai (Miki) was the least favorite of the two. There are so many things I would like to add, but I will refrain from ending this movie even more, because I did not hate it, this movie was a roller coaster! The first part was very cute and funny. The second part of the nervousness for sure and putting together both parts makes it bland and pathetic.

Life is good
Oct 1, 2018
Unreasonable turn in this movie .All I can say it is one-time watch .Twist in relationship .Boy and girl fall in love know about the matter that their parents switch the partners and getting married then twist enter which lead to sad and slow story and the truth is unfold with the truth at some point I got confused ,now I am not understand that their parents continue their relationship with switch partner or for their children sake they remain with their original partner.complicated ending .Maybe I got confusion because I didn't understand last part of subtitle well or may be not.

MissieAlice
Oct 30, 2019
Uma agradável surpresa, tendo em vista a nota relativamente baixa, mas acho que sei a razão disso (comparações com o original, suponho).
Mas, falando do filme isoladamente, eu gostei bastante mesmo. Lamento o fato de ser um filme, portanto curto e resumido.
O que mais me agradou foi o casal. Foi uma surpresa (num ótimo sentido). Deviam fazer mais casais de filmes/doramas como o deste filme. Além de serem um casal fofo e cheio de química, eles são bem entrosados, se tocam, se abraçam, há uma afinidade sempre presente entre eles. Eles basicamente fizeram a química acontecer e ficar mais forte, e acho isso um ponto muito positivo dessa produção, e algo a se destacar comparado a muitos e muitos filmes/doramas, onde isso fica muito a desejar.
Eu não li o mangá porque me desagrada muito o traço, não consigo me acostumar. Então, de um ponto de vista bem neutro e sem qualquer ponto pra ficar fazendo comparações, eu gostei bastante do filme.