Come and Hug Me

3GGG
PLOT: Masterful
--------------------------------------------------------------
This series is among the best of the best. It is one of those rare shows where every episode matters. The plot was never left hanging in order to extend the series. Instead, every single scene was developed in service of the narrative.

The transitions from tension-filled scenes to sweeter ones was flawless. It made watching the series easy and enjoyable. The narrative was also organic, with nothing feeling forced or out of place.

Overall, prepare yourself. This drama will demand your complete attention, push you to the edge of your seat, steal your breath away and have you rooting for more than just the main leads.

MAIN CHARACTERS: Memorable
--------------------------------------------------------------
The main leads were remarkably three dimensional. They were given as many strengths as weaknesses and every single one made sense. The development of the characters was consistent and coherent. Every action had a lasting consequence, and every instinctive reaction demanded a hefty price.

Yoon Na Moo (male lead, aka Chae Do Jin): His complex character was handled masterfully. He was presented as a sympathetic and strong figure, but realistically so. The best way I could describe him is with the saying, "courage is not the absence of fear, but the ability to act in spite of it." Throughout the short series, this character struggled with his inner fears but accepted his vulnerabilities rather than hide them. He was strong precisely because he was afraid... but he didn't let that fear rule him.

Gil Nak Won (female lead, aka Han Jae Yi): Despite her tragic backstory, she was well written and very well portrayed. She's strong, not because she got over her past, but because she's able to face her present while accepting what happened. Her strength is quiet and subtle; allowing her actions to show her defiance rather than voice them loudly. She's also very nurturing towards Na Moo and I love that she never once runs from her problems, but faces them head-on. Because of the nature of the story, Na Moo's side of the story was more intense, but she is without a doubt one of the strongest female leads I've seen in Kdramas so far.

ANTAGONIST: Imposingly petrifying
--------------------------------------------------------------
Yoon Hui Jae (ML's father): Heon Joon Ho deserves an award for his performance. Every time he stepped into a scene, he dominated and filled it with almost palpable tension. He cast a terrifying shadow over every character, continually reminding you that he was a prowling beast ready to strike. Forget Hollywood "horror" movies and "frightful" tv shows. From now on, Yoon Hui Jae is my new standard for blood-curdling terror.

SUPPORT CHARACTERS: Relatable & complex
--------------------------------------------------------------
Though this series has an amazing cast of characters that bring something of importance to the table, I'll focus on the top three characters that merit a special recognition...

Chae Ok Hee (ML's adoptive mother): Talk about a character caught between a sword and a hard place. Her performance was absolutely brilliant and her character was probably the most relatable. Ok Hee is going to go down as the definition of a strong mother. She's a testament that water can be thicker than blood and, when push comes to shove, any mother will pull her claws out to protect her children.

Yoon Hyun Moo (ML's brother): Kim Kyung Nam deserves an award for his superb performance. Alongside Hui Jae, he stole the show for me. He had some of the most powerful scenes and the strength he displayed was of a different kind than usual. He was a sacrificial character (a spot almost always reserved for the female lead) but with a strong purpose. He loves, selflessly and fully, without expecting anything from anyone in return. I found myself hurting alongside him and rooting for him throughout most of the show.

Gil Moo Won (FL's brother): Another character that stood out with his complexity and excellent portrayal. We were given his backstory in small doses until the picture was completed. This was a character that lingered in his pain but who was strong enough to accept and ask for help when things got tough. He understood and empathized with Hyun Moo because they were both shades of grey, which gave them an undeniable bond. The fact that he plays off of Hyun Moo so well, made me wish they could've shared more screentime together.

PORTRAYAL OF ROMANCE: Sweet & nurturing
--------------------------------------------------------------
The relationship between Na Moo and Nak Won was exceptionally balanced. It was an exchange of giving and taking; of want and need. They were loving, sweet and nurturing towards one another. They were also both hurting and, rather than taking the easy way out by keeping away from each other, they actively decided to pave a path out together. The quote: "You lean on me, I'll lean on you and we'll be okay" is enough to describe this beautiful relationship.

Here are some of the highlights:
1) They each have moments where one of them is vulnerable and the other strong; so it never feels one-sided.
2) There are no misunderstandings because they communicate with each other in a very honest and straightforward way.
3) The chemistry between them makes their relationship feel natural together. You can tell how much they care for each other with every stolen glance, soft smile and lingering touch.

HORROR FACTOR: Off the chart.
--------------------------------------------------------------
You better be prepared to hold your breath and curl your toes whenever Yoon Hui Jae steps into the scene, is all I'm saying.

OVERALL: This is a masterpiece.
--------------------------------------------------------------
The art direction is Hollywood quality (I'd say it even surpasses it). The framing, colors and lighting enhance the message communicated. So if you know what you're looking for, you'll be amazed at the attention to detail.

The music has also been carefully selected, used to amplify a feeling rather than distract. The ambient sounds help enhance the atmosphere, drawing you into the scene and forcing you to live it alongside the character.

Add to that the interesting story, superb characters and amazing acting you'll get a series that you'll not soon forget. Re-watch value for this is also quite high.

Yusuf
What A Masterpiece!!!!!!!
One of the best drama in 2018!
———————————
This drama is flawless for me. Everything about this drama is soooo amazing. This drama makes me cry everytime i watch it. Big love for All the cast, You guys soooooooo amazing, Especially for Jang Ki Yong, Jin Ki Joo, Nam Da Reum and Ryu Han Bi??. And Thankyou for the screenwriter-nim, you’ve made a masterpiece, the plot is really lit!!! . And once again, Thankyou for all of you guys who mixed up with this drama, you guys soo amazing!!!
manicmuse
Jul 26, 2018
I really expected to love this drama, but instead I felt very indifferent at the end, and indifferent isn't a good thing for a melodrama to be. My main issue is that I think this story should have have never been this long. This could have been an interesting movie, or a much shorter drama, but even if the episodes were short, 32 episodes is way too many to tell this story. To fill the time, there were so many repetitive scenes, so many flashbacks, looooong intense stares, and of course lots of hugging. Very dramatic hugging.

The best thing about this drama is the acting. Jang Ki Yong and Jin Ki Joo do make a very sweet couple, enough to make the star crossed lovers storyline believable, but there wasn't enough exciting chemistry between them to make the repetitive parts less boring. I also loved their child actor counterparts, who were really good, and matched the older versions well. However, the majority of their storyline never changes, so although I felt bad for them, and I was rooting for them, I also wished something more would happen than intense stares, emotional hugs, and occasionally fighting off various psychopaths.

Speaking of psychopaths, I think the best performance was Heo Joon Ho, because I love a good villain. His performance gave me Hannibal Lecter chills at times. Still, even his character started to get a little monotonous. I wish they went a little deeper into what made him tick, instead of waiting until the end. His scenes with the psycho tabloid reporter were fun to watch, and I liked the dynamic with his ex wife, but I felt like his interactions with other characters could have gone much further than just being generally creepy. I definitely wanted to see more scenes connecting him and Na Moo (not just overused flashbacks). The few scenes they actually had together were so intense.

The only reason I stopped myself from giving the cast a 10 is because even though everyone performed their parts well, their characters weren't always engaging, which is probably the writers fault. Some of the characters were one note, which I think is what stopped me from being emotionally connected to many of them. There were parts of the story that were emotional for me, and a some other characters that had moments that touched me (Like Na Moo's brother, Step Mom, and Team Leader), but the story is so slow at times that many of the characters get lost. Some just didn't have enough interesting contributions to the story.

My lowest score is obviously for the story, but again I am surprised by this because heartbreaking romance and psychological thrillers are two of my favorite genres. I saw some complaints about this being a melodrama, but I think it wasn't melodramatic enough. There are some very intense moments strung together by twice as many moments that are predictable and redundant. How many times do we have to refer to the same flashback to get the point. Maybe I am more jaded than others, but everything I found unique about this drama was drowned out by what I found to be predictable, and uninteresting.

The only way I would watch this again is if someone spliced together a much shorter version. I'm convinced that very large parts of this drama, maybe even full episodes, could be cut and not missed.

Overall I am pretty apathetic towards Come and Hug Me. I honestly almost dropped it, but decided to finally power through to the end. I liked the overall theme of the story, and parts of the last few episodes were much more interesting, but there were also really overdramatic and cheesy parts that were not necessary at the end. If you are a fan of slower paced dramas you may be more patient with the storyline than I was. This is an interesting romance at it's core, and that may be enough to make some people excited to watch. I will say that if you don't like the drama at the beginning, it probably wont get much better for you by the end. If you're still curious, maybe have someone make a cheat sheet for you of every episodes where things that are important actually happen. Maybe pay them for it in hugs!

femmedesneiges
Aug 8, 2018
An inferior drama in every imaginable way. It's all been seen before, and better, and all of it lacked depth. The writer obviously didn't have the guts to go far enough. The crime thriller aspect fizzled out. It said nothing new or interesting about the psychology of criminals and victims. All the talk of "monsters" was complete shite. Moreover, that view is a dangerous ideology, presented here as a crude and simplistic dichotomy due to the clumsy writing. The character development was predictable. The trajectory of the plot was predictable. The love relationship was non-existent for much of the runtime. There was no tangible emotional bond between the adult leads, beyond staring into each other's eyes for minutes at a time. It was too long; it meandered through various themes, dragging its heels and pondering at length over the most inane of things. It was laborious. The editing was dodgy. It was not as cohesive as it should have been. Despite high hopes from what I saw at the beginning, the majority of the acting was nothing special. Jang Ki Yong got steadily worse until I wanted to poke him in his puppydog eyes. I grew to hate his pathetic character. I wanted all sorts of bad things to happen to him, his personality was that meagre and boring. He did not deserve the female lead, soulless and empty as he was. The rest of the characters were but pawns in a beginner-level chess game. The symbolism was superficial and juvenile. Everything was exactly how it looked on the surface; no layers. I'll probably forget most of it by tomorrow morning, apart from the extreme and dizzying deja vu I felt from watching what is essentially a mediocre mish-mash of K-drama tropes and a crappy knockoff of (the very excellent) Soredemo Ikite Yuku.

I liked the music apart from the shitty ballad. I liked the child version actors. I liked the female lead. The first third of it wasn't that bad, hence the neutral rating.

jessy
Jul 20, 2018
The story started off well and it had a very good potential to be one of the best dramas this year, but the slow pace is what upsets me. I can't call it is ruined, but I was anticipating more.
It is not a slow burner. Normally, I am ok with this kind of pacing. But here is the pace is really slow of the kind that the actors take five minuets looking at each other without a word and the antagonist takes scenes and scenes before he could strike, not to mention some plot holes and some stupid acts by the police. In the last episodes, the pace lift up and the episodes became more intense, which made the rating process kinda perplexing for me.
Acting-wise, the child actors did a better job than the adult ones. Nam Da Reum and Ryu Han Bi really impressed me. Heo Joon Ho (father) managed to make me cringe every time he is on screen. For the protagonists, Jang Ki Yong (Na Moo) was really good in the dramatic and when-he-is-angry scenes, but failed -unfortunatley- is the romantic moments, which was a big let down as I had seen him in Go Back Couple and made me develop second lead syndrome. ?His looks to Nak Won felt mannered and artificial, trying hard to look endearing and fluffy. Other than that he did a good job especially in the aforementioned scenes.
For Jin Ki Joo (Nak Won), I hope there was another actress instead. I won't lie, I skipped a lot of her (romantic) scenes.
Seo Jung Yeon (mother) overacted while acting angry but she was ok on the overall level. Kim Seo Hyung's (reporter) character was very annoying and was depicted evil for a reporter.
Music was soothing and lovable.
Overall, it wasn't a bad journey, but it could be much more better if it was shorter. I don't regret my time, but I don't think I'll be able to watch it again.

kingsqueen
Jul 23, 2018
This show was unexpectedly interesting from episode 1. I have to hand it to Jang Ki Yong and Nam Da Reum - they were both amazing actors in this (and props to the casting director, because they did well choosing NDR for the younger Na Moo/Do Jin). My complaints lie in the back end of the story, and most especially with the last 2 episodes. I'm not sure if the pacing got off due to pre-emptions for the World Cup and elections, or if they made changes in the story. But the last episode was just super cheesy and didn't fit the tone of the rest of the show at all. One scene in particular - that I won't spoil - was just corny, and I was cringing so hard about it. (Surprisingly, a scene that a few commenters found tear inducing. I felt quite the opposite about it.)

While the story sort of floundered mid-way, I can't say enough about the cast - the acting was on point. Jang Ki Yong and Nam Da Reum were kings of facial expression. Heo Joon Ho was appropriately terrifying. Kim Kyung Nam elicited unexpected feelings towards his character as well. Seo Jung Yeon was perfect as the selfless mother to sons that weren't even hers. And Kim Seo Hyung, the reporter, was even more hated than the villain of the story. I had no complaints about the acting.

I doubt I will ever rewatch this, and honestly if I had just known the ending for our star-crossed lovers, I would have been happy to have skipped out on the last episode altogether.

neaa
Jul 22, 2018
Why you should watch Come and Hug me?

1. Amazing Cast - I know Nam Joo Hyuk and Suzy were being considered for this show. But sorry, I don’t think they could have brought the intensity that this cast did - especially the FL. JKY and JKJ might be newbies, but the kind of emotions that they conveyed through their expressions, with no words needed, was commendable- the evil smile that Na Moo would break into or the confidence that Nak Won would wear, these two people were made for this role. And the child actors - oh my god - they are a new generation of Ji Sung and Jung Eum coming up- so much potential. I think the child actors were the best part about the drama. All the supporting cast and villains were also incredible.

2. Story - The truth has been spoken - Romance Thrillers are my favourite genre. The drama was not fast paced but was not boring. It was full of emotions - no cliches. I loved how noone blamed anyone and tried to fight for each other’s happiness. This is melodrama done right.

3. Cinematography - I loved the settings - Cherry blossoms and house on the hills. Even when there was eerieness, it was worth watching.

If you are looking for something to watch, please try this. Highly Recommended.

Maggy
Aug 16, 2018
Wow! What a great drama!

Yoon Na Moon and Gil Nak Won meet as kids, become friends and even fall in love a little. But Na Moon's father is a threat for their young love and he ultimately kills Nak Won's parents. The drama tells the story of their lives in the present and how Na Moon and Nak Won are coping with the events from the past. They both changed their names and lost each other, but as destiny wants it, they meet again and also fall for each other again. They need each other to heal and the subtle and very quiet romance warms your heart. However, the threat in the form of Na Moon's father didn't disappear. Although he's in jail, he still haunts them in more ways than one.
In this drama you find a very well developed story line, with no unnecessary developments, and meaning in every little detail. The only thing that "annoyed" me after some time was that Nak Won always addressed Na Mon with his full name. She repeated it every. single. time. although she could have just continued her speech without his name. But that may also be just me and my strange quirks.

Acting/Cast:
The acting was great! Especially the young actors blew me away! They are all so talented and able to really deliver the emotions the character is feeling. But also the adult actors did an amazing job! Especially Jang Ki Yong showed that he is really able to play a deeply torn character. And then there is Heo Joon Ho, who plays the murderer. Oh my God, he is so creepy I really cringed every time he appeared on screen - goosebumps everywhere!

On point and never annoying.

Rewatch Value:
I'm not a rewatcher, but this one is really on the top spot for rewatching. Especially as I believe I will find more and more aspects that I like about this drama every time I watch it again.

Overall:
If you're expecting a crime drama filled with romance, then you better stay away. There is a little romance, but it is clearly not the main focus.
Still interested? Then watch it!

10 10 10 :)

diachiong
Aug 8, 2018
This wasn't the drama I was expecting. A lot of viewers refer to this as a melodrama but to me it's more of a crime and suspense series. I have TBH and again I'm probably the first one to give this a low rating but the whole thing was just a huge YAWN. I was mislead by the title and the early reviews once again but having said that, amidst the corny plotline lies a huge miss by the writers right from the very beginning that could've turned the whole thing 180° and make it more original. . .

pros
1. JKY's silent acting. he has definitely grown a lot as an actor in a short period of time, no wonder he got the lead role this time

2. JKY's stare. his eyes speaks a thousand words even when he's not talking. I always find his gaze to be engaging

3. cinematography. the mood and feel of the drama is great especially the lighting. I have never seen a police station with such pretty lighting before

4. directing. the camera panning is good. just the way the director frames the scenes especially that vending machine scene where JKH just rested his head on to it

5. im glad I skipped through till the end because that last scene touched me. I finally got to know why it's called come and hug me

cons
1. Jin Ki Joo. loved her in MISTY but here she's the weakest link. Her whole story line felt like I was watching an entire separate drama (the ones like the cheesy daytime weekend dramas). We come from this dark and bloody scene that already got me hyped up and then suddenly it cuts to her scene sitting pretty in her pretty dress and makeup with her damsel in distress demeanor which really throws me off

2. I was not convinced that JKY is really playing a cop

3. the never ending flashbacks

4. I never thought I would mention this but JKY's younger sister's acting so cringy! it was so bad y'all

5. The first half of the series was just a total mess. I felt like watching two completely different dramas

6. I was not feeling the chemistry between the two leads

7. I was really hoping for a twist but it never happened and I'm not gonna spoil it but for those who already finished this would know what I'm talking about

8. Am I the only one who thinks that the star here is Mr. Heo Joon Ho? he is the only reason why I didn't dropped this drama because I was really intrigued and captivated by his character. This is what I'm talking about what the writers could've done differently, instead of the usual two lovers as the lead, I wished that they turned HJH's character into the protagonist, that would definitely give us a whole new drama! Can you imagine a drama about the makings of a psychopath serial killer? kinda like a Hannibal-ish drama. SIGH.

9. the last episode was a huge let down. it just turned up that those build up from all the episodes were all for nothing

sharreb
Jul 31, 2018
A drama thats nearly perfect with a writer that plotted well the start and end and bring everything full circle. It had powerful messages of love and family in my opinion. There were heroes in unlikely places and unexpected people: a gruff stepmom who was so afraid and seemed cowardly in the beginning; a rough foul mouthed brother who had inferiority complex and an even more tender heart, an adopted protective brother with his own demons and guilt and misconceptions, a simple policeman who unintendedly turn father figure.

THE GOOD:
Plot was strong- One thats tightly woven the present and past selves of the otp and the event that bounds them.
The characters- Multiple characters that shine,who incite fear, incite warmth, incite hatred, incite admiration and a few that are truly memorable
Acting- Heo Joon Ho - cant get anyone who can be so effective in his role. A stare, a smirk, his silhoute screams his presence. He delivers a grippling performance. Kim Kyung Nam delivered arguably the most difficult role and personally i thought he was a scene stealer. He was just so good and his well written character almost made me yearn for him to be a maincast, more scenes, just more.. Seo Jung Yeon delivered in so many scenes, her portrayal moves me and was wonderfully cast.
The message: Belief, understanding and selflessness sows the seeds of love. They gave the environment for the best self to persevere through darkness and evil. And of course, sometimes all we need is someone standing at your corner and there to give a reassuring hug.
The sort of bromance: without spoiling too much lets just say some of my favorite scenes are between the hyungs.

THE WEAKNESS:
Unfortunate loopholes in the plot including useless policemen or lack of as a plot device just so that it set up a following scene or forced a tense situation.
Jang Ki Yong really expanded his repertoire with this drama. Unfortunately he's found lacking when potraying certain emotions. The difference in performance is especially stark when they put side by side young Na Moo and present Na Moo. Nam Da Reum (young Na moo) delivered more on point with soft gaze, sorrow, broken hearted, or touched. The plays of emotions are easily picked up on his face while i struggled sometimes to read Jang Ki Yong's. I also felt that although otp had good chemistry, they never reach a point of total abandonment and immersion of that kind of love (a supposingly deep soul-grippling childhood to adulthood over a decade span of love. )
If this was a jtbc or ocn drama it could have been 12 episodes (or 24 episodes of 30mins) and it would have elevated the drama without overdoing flasbacks, cut out needless dilly-dally scenes. It could have been a tight plot with no fillers at all.

For all these reasons its a 9.0 for me. Its a good thriller with a warm message. Please do give it a chance if you havnt watched it.

Nabi
Jul 19, 2018
Amazing acting of all the main actors. Special mention for Nam Da Reum and Jang ki yong.Both delivered outstanding performance.

As a antagonist Heo Joon Ho performance as a serial killer was disgusting and fearful.The storyline was different from other kdramas. The romance between the two leads was good.The mother and her sons relationship also depicted beautifully.

Some scenes are too cruel. But to show the seriousness of the antagonist it was needed.
Those who are looking for dark,crime and romantic dramas can watch this and it is worth it.
Holic
Jul 21, 2018
A drama that I could watch a million times!

This is my very first time writing a review and it is because I feel very overwhelmed by the fact that this drama is one of a kind.

First of all, I want to make a note of how I almost turned into a psychopath because of the reporter, whose character (in my opinion) is more vicious than the father's. It's funny that I even thought of slitting her throat and dry her to death when what she's been doing all the time was to ruin the lead's chance to smile even for a bit. I even relieved when she was killed (funny me haha). However, I give the character a credit for making the drama more satisfying.

In addition, the father's role as a psychopath and an unforgivable sinner was greatly portrayed with just those creepy eyes and evil smile of his. In the end, it was proven that everything that he had been doing (the killings) were not just his wickedness but a cover-up for him being weak. Nevertheless, his demonic character is much appreciated in this drama.

On the other hand, I want to just stand up and give a round of applause to the best stepmom in the world. Lucky, that she's not selfish and unconditionally gave her full support and love to Hyun Moo and Na Moo; even though she can just forget and abandon them, she chose not to and stayed despite of danger and humiliation from many.

More importantly and undoubtedly, the lead couple, both the young and the old characters, made this drama superb! I would never ever forget those loving stares and smiles they share with each other. I am 100% touched with their undeniable chemistry and the simplicity of how they show their affection to each other.

Overall, this drama.... is definitely rated more than perfection. The casts did a great job, especially the director and the writer.

Again, despite of almost turning to a whacko (hahaha), this drama completely overrun all the Asian dramas I've watched since I was 10.