My Dream The Series (2018) poster

Tom
Dec 26, 2018
Ok, so this drama starts off with some good plot- all the story was goin good until episodes 6+ the story just got worse, like Yim’s “lover” and Guide treating his girlfriend shit. The last episode gives off a viewer hungry vibe, they just made Dream run away while Way stands there, then Guide asking Tanai to be his boyfriend. I don’t think the second season will be that good and I don’t think I’ll be watching it.

Other than that, another thing is the filming, i know that they aren’t pros and the best company ever but at least the people who add all those crazy effects can check the recordings. Some shots look lazy and filmed terribly. I’m not trying to shit on the series but come on..

The music was ok, but I think they could have had more dramatic OSTs for more effect than the same one.

Thankyou for reading my review

Jessica
Dec 20, 2018

Great Potential But Suffered from Slow Pacing

STORY:
My initial excitement for this drama fell by the wayside as the series progressed. Although the writers presented several interesting and unique concepts, they suffered noticeably in execution. As a result, the series became somewhat of a mess that left me wanting more. The pacing was horribly slow, with lots of silence in each episode, creating a very stagnant story line with very little plot development. I don’t mind a bit of silence as a creative decision to set the tone, but if you’re going to do it, then I need both the silence and every bit of dialogue to be important and push the story forward significantly. I didn’t get that with this series. And I know that with tight, skilled writing, a lot can be said in a small period of time, as I’ve seen fantastic dramas with half the number of episodes able to deliver rich, compelling stories (Obsessed, Right or Wrong, Boundary Crossing, Gay Ok Bangkok, etc.). The story here wasn’t terrible, but I just feel that with 12 episodes at their disposal, the brains behind My Dream could have given us a bit more.

Next, although some parts of the fantasy story line were fleshed out (albeit not nearly enough), the main story between Runway and Dream took a back seat to everything else in the drama, which was a bit surprising given the synopsis. In addition, some scenes that seemed important lacked sufficient exploration; there were also scenes introduced that had no apparent purpose other than filler, because they certainly didn’t aid in progression of the story.

The romance grew tedious and a bit tiresome because the characters were just running in circles every time.

Overall, with some tighter writing, this could have been a beautifully complex, multi-dimensional story. As it is, I think the writers got in over their heads and lacked a clear vision and the drama suffered for it.

ACTING/CHARACTERS:
Most of the actors and actresses did well in their roles. The one that just did not do it for me Taro, who plays Tanai. Bless him, he seems sweet, but his acting was incredibly stiff and he couldn’t really deliver expressions very well, which was off-putting as he was a main character. Best, who played Runway (again, another lead), though better, still wasn’t as strong as some of the side characters. But other than those two, I thought the cast did really well in their roles, though conversations at time felt a bit stilted and awkward. I wish they were given better material to work with.

MUSIC:
I overall like the OST. The opening theme especially is beautiful, and it complements the fantasy theme nicely.

RE-WATCH VALUE:
I may re-watch it once, a long way down the road, to see how the story feels when the next episode can be watched without waiting a week. But due to slow pacing and an under-developed plot line, I probably wouldn’t re-watch it more than once.

BOTTOM LINE:
I went into this drama with high expectations but was ultimately let down. It was okay, with some entertaining parts, but definitely not the best drama out there. I’m kind of surprised to hear that SS2 is coming (as of right now anyway), but I’ll probably watch that one as I’ve already committed to the story. For this drama, not sure that I’d recommend it, but if you’re curious about it I’d say give it a try.

ceera1231
Dec 26, 2018
My gripes with the show.
A. Runway is super immature
B. Tanai needs to take a hint and get over Runway who obviously isn't interested
C. Poor editing. So many slow scenes that could've been edited down.
D. Can we get SOME sort of explanation? I understand high fantasy and all but come on.
E. Good's obsession with his dead wife is wtf. We finally get SOME developments with Good and Elle then Elle disappears and his wife reappears?
F. The Yim rape was handled so poorly.

Some people didn't like P'Dream's interest in Runway but I think it's fine. He clearly didn't do anything while Runway was a kid, and Tanai was the one who was about to jump him before P'Dream stepped in...

I'll give it a 7/10 because they tried to do something different. I liked the characters, and I am interested to see the next season.

Jvonder
Jan 19, 2019
I know guys that my review and score for My Dream will make you scream to the top of your lungs and probably you'll end up getting a new phone because you smashed your iPhone to the wall, simply because my review drove you nuts. I'm just kidding, I love you guys! But please allow me to explain why in my own opinion, My Dream deserves a perfect 10. I arrive at that score by looking at the entire big picture. You see, regardless on how you feel after watching all the episodes, and after you read all the reviews here and in other sites, all it takes is to see the first My Dream fan meeting held in Thailand, and you'll kinda understand why My Dream at the end of the day, is a great BL. So when I saw the Fan meeting at You Tube and I heard all those loud screams from the audience I realized that there's really nothing wrong with me, I don't need to see a therapist or something, as I'm perfectly ok (I'm just kidding guys, therapy is very important in the healing process regardless of the psychological or medical situations that a person is in). The thing is, I'm not the only who's screaming in front of my iPhone simply because of cuteness overload from My Dream guys in fact people at that fan meeting are doing the major screaming out in the open. And I felt good about that. I binge watch My Dream with four other friends. They are super cute straight guys and they had not seen a BL movie before in their lives. (Of course I believe them, but who knows they might have a Tin and Can of Love By Chance sticker on their car dashboard and secretly they own major fans club IG accounts of Together with Me the Next Chapter hottie Max and Tul but I do stand with my assessment that they're really super cute of course I have to admit I day dream about them a lot) I never told them that My Dream is a BL. I do have to be honest, I told them about two pretty actress, Yaimai and Kafe, and of course that sold them to sit down and watch the show with me and obviously to just be quiet or they're gonna be banned from all snacks and drinks for the entire evening. I have to give the show a super huge credit for creating a stand alone site for International fans, it's such a practical solution, how hard can it be to watch the show, all you need to do is go to their site, and under episodes, binge watch the entire thing, you don't need to search for the episodes all over the place, it is so organized, so just for doing that alone, and thinking of the international fans, I mean this is a big step for Thai BL production that deserves a perfect 10. Before we start the show, I knew that I will be screaming, like my friends will look at me weirdly with questions on their eyes as to why I'm screaming. And so just a few minutes on the first episode, I'm already in scream mode. I don't know what's wrong with me or if I'm just trying to get my friend's attention as I finally got them out of their girlfriend's grasp by tricking their girlfriends that we're all gonna watch a football game. I just can't stop screaming whenever Runway and Tanai stares at each other, and weirdly when Runway is with Guide, I'm also screaming like I wanted Runway and Guide to be a couple as well. And so when P'Dream pops up in most scenes, I find myself also screaming just because he has those cute deep dimples. The beach scene and looking at the bridge scene between Tanai and Guide are also moments where I totally scream. I mean, it's so weird, My Dream is making me scream. The last episode where Yim with blindfold on touch the chest of the new character (I forgot his name) I mean that guy, is mega cute also made me scream. And I also want to add that there's something about Guide, whenever he gives that flirty smile, I mean he does it innocently but you know that he's really mega flirty but he's containing the flirtiness because he has an internal struggles going on with his girl and the new feelings for Tanai. So in the last episode when he sat at the car and directly asked Tanai for his feelings, he got me on that, I again screamed. So after binge watching everything, with beer and soda in hand, I asked my friends what they think, because all the time they are so quiet, so one of them was like, "So Kafe needs to be in water all the time so she won't change to Elle?" , and my other friend was like, "So Yim forgive the guy who raped him, and yet it feels like he missed him?" and my third friend was like, "I thought Elle destroyed the dream catcher and P' Dream disappeared, so why is it that he's with P'Dream on the last scene?" I stopped drinking the soda, I realized I should have opted for a bottled water. While I'm constantly screaming and totally engulfed in the cuteness of P'Dream, Guide, Tanai, Runway and Yim's new love team (I hate that I forgot his name, it will pop up later I guess) my friends are asking technical questions and challenging the plot and story lines. This is the reason why I arrived at a Perfect 10 score. I lost my voice that night because My Dream made me scream, I'm not sure if my lungs are still intact, probably I need to duct tape it securely so it won't pop up out my chest when I rewatch Sotus again, as definitely Singto and Krist are also making me scream, regardless of how you feel on the series, the fact that My Dream has super cute actors, is enough for me to say that this is a BL that I'm going to watch again as I wait for the next season. My Dream made my friends think, I'm expecting them to fall for Yaimai and Kafe, and yet their main concern is more on what's going on between the main characters. So I did some Instagram search, and I saw that the casts had done a charity outreach, so that is really fulfilling to know that they did not only do a BL that BL fans worldwide can enjoy and watch but they're also reaching out and bringing joy and hope to the kids in this charity. I mean, how can that not move my heart? I understand that there's a lot of things to work on in the story line but that's the reason why there's Season 2, and I think this will give the writers and actors more room to explore the story lines and give a satisfying plot. So guys just in case you broke your phone 'cause you did not agree with my review, remember to check out the Android versions cause the designs are more innovative and OMG if you've seen the photo of Mean of Love By Chance and his new phone, you'll definitely gonna want to have that phone simply because it will give you the Love by Chance Mean feel. Which obviously you'll thank me because by breaking your phone you'll have an excuse to get a new one. Kidding guys! :)

Demy_Martin
Dec 30, 2018
This definitely isn't the type of drama someone should watch if they want constant action or development in the storyline. It's a very slow and subdued show but that doesn't mean it's bad. This felt like a long start to someone with the potential to be very interesting. If you want answers you won't get them as this leaves you with a million questions but with hope for a second season. To be honest my favorite episode is the last as it gives a good idea of what to expect in the future as far as romances and plots.

Pros: The trio of friends are absolutely pure and are the reason to watch. They're all different but the personalities mesh well and they are extremely supporitve and caring one another. The actors give their all to each scene.

Cons: The storyline itself has little movement and leaves the viewer filled with questions. Some serious trigger warnings for the usual rapey gimmicks BLs tend to have and use. Dream is a character I haven't found myself liking because of said rapey vibes and lack of character development but maybe with an explanation it will be better.

Conclusion: It's a show that ends with a promising look to the future and you bet your ass I'm watching whatever comes next.

Kaja West
Apr 17, 2019
To keep it short, I loved the freshness the storyline offered, but felt it fell a bit short.

I would love if Runway handled the relationship with Tanai a bit better although you get a sense that he is the baby of the group, adding to his innocence and naiveness. Dream calling him "my little boy" adds to it (and making it a bit uncomfortable at times unless you imagine Runway being a reincarnation of Dreams lover, which for me then makes complete sense). I would love more details on Dream and how he came to be in Runway's dreams, so if there will be a second season as promised, I will watch it for sure.

What irks me is that it is not once said that Yim was raped. He was. Just implying it with a sad scene, in my book, is not enough. Also, why would he have a tender kiss with his rapist just because he said sorry? It makes absolutely no sense and it is completely wrong. Why that jerk didn't go to jail is beyond me. I don't like the message it portrays, that a young boy like that should do nothing if raped. I actually enjoy rough scenes, obsessiveness and light refusal before giving in (I know, I'm weird) - but only if the person giving in is actually enjoying it and it was just a struggle with oneself to see their true feelings. In no way is it ok if they really don't want it. Rape is never ok and the perpetrator should have been punished.

Garrium_Whirwart
Feb 18, 2019
First of all this is 'underrated show'. I agree its not one of 'best shows', atleast in BL world. The whole drama is like plotless though it has many plots; just they arent much cared of to be solved.
The Last episode, where Yim, Runway and Guide enters in university, indicates the real kickstart of story begins from there. It somewhat reminded me of Sotus (in last episode).
P'Dream reveals they will bring season 2 to show about 'prequel' thingy but I am really interested to know about 'sequal' though.

All the characters are good looking. About music? Silly question! Its Thai Drama afterall! Music has reservation already as one of melodious tunes.

About story, its fantasy but unique. Good to see something unique. Now all the plot is in hand of P'Dream. If he rejects Runway as his boyfriend, all love chain will get shifted. If he accepts, again pairings will be different of all characters. Intetesting. Waiting for next season eagerly!

cherry x
Jun 16, 2019
I really like the theme of this series, the characters and the songs, but have the bad side. The mood of the episodes is a lot of calm and what is lacking is comedy, If you compare the series with Sotus or He's coming to me, you can notice the difference in the air that the episodes transmit to us. Both series are animated equal the characters, Perhaps it is by the fact that my dream "pull" over to the side of the mystery.

I expected more interactions between dream and runway, a better explanation of where Elle came from and why he burned the Dreamcatcher. We also have the confusing ending! I must have spent hours reflecting on it. Let's hope the second season doesn't disappoint us...

J100
Dec 27, 2018
The story is about 4 couples
There a main couple the boy ranway( logic name by he run a way from reality they could not make it more simple)
he is inlove with a man older than him look as his father in age and also clothes and acting and he called the "dream" he also follow this boy from young age since his father passed a way. it's very sick plot to my opinion
This dream is sort of a father figure and than become his lover, if it's not sick i don't know what is

theres anothee real boy inlove with runway - he is handsome and sweet loving guy, unfortunatelly runway run from answers and run from him and lead him on, toture him like crasy, it's very pathetic and sad.

theres also the runway friend that discover that he is gay...he is very cute but he doesn't make any progress at all so it's very very weird
I skip on the streigth couple it was so weird and not interesting ...boring as hell

the last couple are the sick of the sickness of this writer.
it's about the guy that rape runway friend and getting out of it by saying sory and hug him...it's very very disturbing, from this scene i wanted to stop watching this rubish but i couldn't

i skiped also most of the slow moments so it could be beriable...if i was not i couldn't watch this at all

the editing was slow and bad but the story worse.
its had a potential, that is why i like part of it.

Music 8/10
i can enshure you this song is a a rip off of South Korean old song...it's sound so falmilier but i like sk music (the old one) so i liked it also

Acting
the acting was really bad.but every one of them are looking great and handsome

Overall-
i will not watch it again, and the ending was very bad, not clear not telling anything at all and want as to watch the next season

AND YES
although everything i will watch the next seasone because i like 1% of this and it's runway friends...all of them i like

Synchonicity
Dec 27, 2018
Okay... the series started out kind of interesting but, for me, ended up being a big disappointment. The guys were cute: Guide is handsome, Tanai has a killer body, Yim is adorable, Dream has a great smile... but the characters were really boring, the storyline makes very little sense and we get no answers during the entire season. Runway, the lead character, is kind of a sweet, dorky kid but says almost nothing--ever--so we don't really get any idea of who he is or what he wants. He shows no real personality and it's a stretch to think of him as having any kind of romantic or sexual feelings at all.

More than that, there is just too much wasted time. For example, the season finale begins with four or five minutes of Dr. Good alone in his apartment, looking wistful. Cut to three more minutes of Tanai sitting by himself, playing the guitar. After that, more than half of the episode shows Runway, Guide and Yim on their first day at the university, sitting through an introductory meeting where nothing of interest happens. These kind of moments occur far too often throughout the series.

All in all, if you're just looking for something pleasant to watch to kill time, it's okay. Just don't get too invested in the plot, as it doesn't go anywhere.

I did like the theme song, a lot!

Dropped 8/12
Anamikka
Dec 14, 2018
Dropped 0
To sum up the series in one word would be illogical and a complete mess
Where do I start the actors are really awkward together no real chemistry
There is no chemistry or character development between the main couple dream and runway
The side couple Tanai and guide are better off than the main couple there is some development between them
As for the story it is illogical and cringe worthy for the most part
I found the gender bender theme particularly annoying.
You mostly end up fast forwarding through the episodes

MBaldelli
Oct 9, 2019
What an utter piece of garbage and one of the few times I would be sitting there watching the end wished I could get the time I wasted watching this series.

Character development is either being clubbed to death by the trope bat, or so wacky and out of this world it come off as completely unbelievable. For example, Runway (Best Cholsawas Tiewwanichkul) seems to be so immature for someone getting ready to complete high school he should be in a home care program for development issues. His mother (pity I can't find her listing in English, I could **ALMOST** sympathize with her plight) mysteriously goes through some form of single-mom depression that miraculously gets instantly cure by McGuffin pills. Tanai's (Taro Shatree Suwanvalaikor) interest in Runway seems to be completely bolt-on romance interest that when it comes to him being kissed by Guide (Fame Chawinroj Likitchareonsakul) it turns into a typical German soap opera trope of Love at First Kiss™, there's some nonsensical discomfort going on through the last third of the series.

The non-consentual sex/rape that's been implied for Yim (Ellfa Chollatee Bampen) is not only completely bad, it's clearly an insult to anyone that has suffered from rape when he kisses his rapist after the rapist said "he's sorry and he'll go away". Nope, no sir... this is done in Yoai that has rape fantasies in it, but in this sort of live-action story, it comes off as a COMPLETE travesty and unbelievable no matter how it's portrayed. Want a good idea on something more believable -- go watch Earth Katsamonnat Namwirote role as Tar in "Love by Chance" which is actually closer to something believable than this abomination.

The supernatural portions of the story were just plain bad... Dream (Fluke Pongsapat Kankam) is just another bolt-on Yaoi character complete with classic Turtleneck and Overcoat that seems to border too much on the pedophile than some sort of guardian spirit that came in a Dream Catcher. Elle (Choot Cherdchanin Vitapinan)/Kafe (Anna Glucks) needed more explanation for people and leaving it to interpretation simply left that to being a hot mess. The ring that Elle gave Runway was another McGuffin that really had no bloody purpose being interested in the story and Elle's magical powers that came later only make him come off more like some fox spirit out of Chinese Lore Yaoi.

But, as I said in the title; this was clearly a really badly executed story by a production house wanting to cash in on the BL fan-girl craze. Either the writers didn't know what the hell they were doing with it and had way too much in-fighting going on for the creativity, or the editor was seriously doing something that would get most people fired as too much was cut in the wrong places leaving this story with more holes than a wheel of swiss cheese.

Avoid this travesty at all cost. Because if you remove everything that was bolted on to it, you're left with a story about a boy that lost his dad and lives in some sort of fantasy world coping with that loss.