OniBro:
"Did he really need to add that? Change that? and this and that and this? What problem was there? Was it not engaging enough or what?"

Lol and the answer to all of the above is NO. Ugh, like Singularity mentioned, none of the Titled Douluos are intimidating at all. 99% of the characters are caricatures of themselves and the only resemblance they share with the actual characters are the names. I mean, I guess this is something only novel/manhua/donghua fans would notice but when the drama is watched by something like 60-70% males who are tuning in because it's DOULUO DALU, then it's a huge fail. IMO, one of the first things a drama writer needs to know is the audience they are writing for and write for them, which Wang Juan did not manage with this adaptation. 

OniBro:
It's like an M. Night Shyamalan meme except edgier

lmao *thumbs up*

apocalib:
IMO, one of the first things a drama writer needs to know is the audience they are writing for and write for them, which Wang Juan did not manage with this adaptation. 

And that is exactly why I find it is so ironic that he has the title of "The Industry's Conscience." He applied his formula to the wrong genre, story, and audience. It's just an IP that's out of his element and expertise. Which is why I mentioned that from what I've seen at least, I would've trusted this with the King's Avatar writers because of how much they tried to explain game mechanics and the importance of tactics with teamwork in there.

OniBro:

And that is exactly why I find it is so ironic that he has the title of "The Industry's Conscience." He applied his formula to the wrong genre, story, and audience. It's just an IP that's out of his element and expertise. Which is why I mentioned that from what I've seen at least, I would've trusted this with the King's Avatar writers because of how much they tried to explain game mechanics and the importance of tactics with teamwork in there.

Now that you mention it, King's Avatar was actually a surprisingly good drama. I went into it not expecting much (Yang Yang's face was what enticed me tbh and it was on Netflix), but learned waaay more about eSports and suddenly got sucked into that genre in terms of books/manhuas, lol. As a person that only played Super Mario and Maple Story, they simplified mmorpg into easily digestible bites for me. 

Kind of blows that S2 is Wang Juan-penned still but perhaps the (huge) amount of criticism he's gotten from IP fans will make him change the script for the latter season(s).  It's sad but IP fans will continue to tune in because there's always the hope that perhaps something will change or they want to see how their fav character is dramatized. This is why so many fans continue to watch despite the disappointment bc we want to see ____ and ____ happen (only to always be let down) T____T

I don't think the big twist in JoL was why it succeeded though, maybe WJ took the wrong lesson from the success? The entire drama was interlinked mysteries and suspense, one problem solved and the next began. The reveal at the end did surprise me and re-contextualized the show but that wasn't why I liked the drama, that was just dessert, there'd already been 40 solid episodes beforehand. You can't just have 1 big surprise be the only pay off for a drama, idc how major it is.

Obviously you can't adapt a novel that has almost no surprises (Qian Renxue identity fuckery literally only thing that surprised me) in the same you adapt a novel that's built on surprises but I guess that's what he tried to do.

I feel like maybe I like DC better then most people is this thread though, I do like the shrek seven devils team dynamics and interactions, they're really fun and cute but yeah in general it all feels kind of uninspired and meh.

@apocalib - his post is hilarious. Yes, he will first destroy a novel by essentially rewriting it but he will totally accept criticism. Sure. And what s2? There is no going back. Once you mess up the plot as he has, it cannot be undone. Posts like that are just patronising bs where he tries to play a nice guy while he does what he likes. The only way he will change anything is if capital behind the show makes him. 

As for season 2, who knows and with what cast. This would require Xiao Zhan because if he leaves, they can forget about his fans staying. But he would have to say yes to working with both Xinli media again that dumped him like a hot potato and Yuehua and good luck with that. Xiao Zhan was very careful to say right at the start that he only acted by the script they gave him. That sounds like not my fault, please don't blame me. He would be a fool to allow them access to his career again. If there is no Xiao Zhan, will capital still be willing to invest a large amount of money? 

King's Avatar followed the novel, I have read it. Now whoever wrote that script knows how to respect the original. 

Shrimpy:
King's Avatar followed the novel, I have read it. Now whoever wrote that script knows how to respect the original. 

To screenwriters that actually follow and respect the original:

Wow, a very interesting discussion about the scriptwriter. I am not familiar with this scriptwriter since I have not watched JoL so I never understand his fame. Whatever his success before this, it is undeniable fact that he butchered Douluo Dalu. I think he just either thought that this genre was beneath him or he just didn't like it at all. He changed a story that caters to male to something caters to female in a nutshell.

Xuanhuan genre that heavy with cultivation system that akin to game level like Douluo Dalu is very popular among male populations. Everytime I read the xuanhuan novel translation in website, I can sense that majority of user that comments below the chapter is male. From my experience with my male friends, most of them don't like a sob drama that full of emotional line. They prefer something heavy with plot, intrigue and logic (akin to Nirvana in Fire). The males who eat this genre mainly looking for a cool MC and cool fight. They feel restless when certain arc filled with talking but no action. 

Now, if the percentage of male tunes in to this drama is truly 60%, then Wang Juan just shot his own feet with this kind of adaptation. Male fans would not bother dueling with drama fans in words but will directly abandon the drama or give low rating without preamble. This season 1 will still have decent number of viewer because lots of us original fans curiosity. But season 2? I cannot speak for all of us, but I will never watch season 2 if there is any. 

Xiao Zhan fans dominated by female. And I doubt there are lots of them that TRULY liking this genre. So, with Xiao Zhan gone, the production can kiss goodbye to the bulk of their viewers. 

Regarding The King Avatar, it was a good adaptation. The drama change and addition were enriching the story instead of destroying it. Now that is a drama that deserve season 2. Not this one.

I've just finished today's episodes and heaved the biggest sigh of disappointment. They're cramming too much plot into the last few episodes. Now, I can understand wanting to write some plot into the tournament arc since basically all they do is fight but the plot doesn't make sense! (Side note, Sword Gramps got knocked on his ass by some mysterious~ black figure that's YZQ btw but I lol bc Sword Gramps?? REALLY?!?!). 

Either way, I think the biggest problem with this drama, and I say this not bc of all the adaptation issues, but as a general cdrama watcher, is that I'm not connecting with the characters nor am I invested in the story. I'm sure there are plenty that will say they love the drama and that's their right, but the original story's allure is missing here. My cousin, who is a pretty easy-going XZ stan and not into wuxia/xianxia like I am, told me she got really bored by ep10 and started skipping a lot of parts. I don't dislike this drama to the extent that I'd tell folks not to watch bc perhaps they might find it interesting but it's a disappointment and def did not meet my expectations. 

I'm also doubtful XZ will sign on as it's a long process to film and there's plenty of other dramas in the pond. Besides, I don't think this is the type of drama he needs to be going after anymore since he is already well-known and wants to go towards a more "serious actor" route vs "idol actor". I know XZ has an extremely good relationship with Tencent but they've got other IPs they're adapting that XZ is rumored for soooooo.....

So, I'm probably like 6 to 8 episodes behind you guys due to being a western watcher so I have to wait for subs. But just watched ep 26-27 and maaannnnn.

Like some of the stuff I did like, but I still have problems with others as well: 

• The banter between TS and DGB was good, definitely one of the stronger interactions in the entire series despite him only having screen time now imo, but that just shows how weak the show and its characters were prior. 
  • XW storming the school by herself might've looked cool and it fits her, but makes no sense considering that just before that she was with Lander and NRR, so they just let her go. Considering her character, it's pretty easy to tell when she's about to do something impulsive, so they obviously cut it there just to have the scene and move characters. 
  • Golden Triangle Fusion's magic circle looked cool, but Luo San Pao just becomes shiny and that's his dragon form apparently, definitely a budget problem there. 
  • The Shrek Seven play was cringe but nice, we're missing a LOT of interactions like that in this series where we actually see them working together outside of fights (which they barely work together in fights anyways since the choreography and planning is pretty bad) and having true friendship moments, especially the guys. They show a lot of the girls' banter, but not the guys. The carrying rocks scene was supposed to be a scene like this where you see them sacrificing for one another and for the school, but that scene was pretty bad imo, They didn't capture the sentiment very well at all because they made DMB edgy af there and it completely ruins the sentiment, plus they rushed through that scene. 
  • There are good shots where XW storms the school or when we see the Golden Triangle rush through the gates, but like I said, the context is purely just to move characters imo. Also, suddenly XW one shots everyone compared to before.
  • Lightning CGI looks waaay better here than the first lightning guy back at Nuo Ding.
  • HLN is dead apparently, so you know all those shippers gl lmao. It's a Qian Renxue ship this time. Illusion spirit tool capable of mimicking the fox spirit AND shapeshift essentially, if that's not a writer creating a Deus Ex Machina tool for the plot, idk what is. I guess since TS has the one-shotting-plot-device-hammer, she has to have that. Also they basically turned HLN into a spirit tool....
  • Blue Silver Grass is conveniently hollow and the perfect tool to enact blood transfusions.
  • XW sacrificing her rings and transfers her soul power, hmmm, nice sentimental scene I guess even though the BGM is pretty bad. SHE TRANSFERS HER SOUL POWER?!?!?!?!?! Oh yeah, that's right, the writer has kind of been messing around so he needs to power up TS as fast as possible.... Seems like that's going to be happening in the coming episodes as well... Remember kids, this is a spinoff, don't try what XW did at home, it is actually and completely suicidal in the novel; you don't just turn into a normal person, you turn into a ghost. The writer is probably going to pull more plot conveniences to buff her back up, so that sentiment is completely artificial. 
  • Oh yea and DGB isn't cured apparently, so there's also that. 
  • Oh so in the preview, the mom might be the one that owns the Xuan Tian Records, not the dad, I feel like I heard of this rumor before that the mom would own it. That makes even less sense because she's a spirit beast... Just a random plant based pokemon training to become an assassin out in the middle of the woods....
 Singularity:
I don't think the big twist in JoL was why it succeeded though

Definitely I think the big twist in JoL's last episode was not the reason it succeeded. Leading up to that we had:

* the viewers were allowed to ruminate over 'life' moments. Eg the scene where Fan Xian says goodbye to the grandmother ... how the scene lingered on the grandmother's actions/expressions, the music that accompanied it. Another example is when Fan Xian reads the plaque his mother left behind and so gets to have a sense of her thoughts and aspiratiosn, of the person she was. There was a number of these moments throughout that series;

* the viewers got the pleasure/satisfaction payoff of having Fan Xian use his boss mode cheat of having already lived once. The prime example being demolishing his petty opponents in those poetry slams;

* the fantasy elements of the time shift and mixing the knowledge/technology of the previous civilization with the latter devolved one.

Fantasy elements, emotional payoffs and smiting your enemies with a hidden cheat mode.

How could that not have worked?

It would've taken a real dumbass to f*ck that up.

(Wait a minute ... need to pause a moment to reflect on how those last few sentences apply to this series ...)

The JoL series lead me to reading the novel. I have to say the most fun parts of Fan Xian's story were his early years. The novel got increasingly boring as he aged. I'm thinking in season 2 how they choose to pace the continuing story of his life, what moment they choose to be the peak/finale, how they choose to continue working the time shift fantasy elements into it, all these things are going to be crucial to the series success. 

Well ... duh, I suppose ... all of that probably didn't need to be said ... but my point is I hope they don't follow the novel to the 'T' in those aspects, because the novel really dragged on as it got older.

One thing I do hope is that they change the crux of the Temple's story. The end to that arc in the novel was a major letdown for me. Very anti-climatic.

I can totally see Yan Bingan's twist betrayal of Fan Xian as actually being something that might not actually be betrayal ... but if I said anything further I might be spoiling the novel for people who haven't read it.

==================

The parallel between 'Joy of Life' and 'Douluo Dalu' is, of course, their second life boss cheats.

... ...

I wonder why it is this kind of story element seems so prevalent in the majority of fantasy type stories in the translated novels I end up reading. Do people feel so powerless living their modern lives they'd like to have an already lived life to guide their actions?

... meh, anyways...

In JoL the second life aspect made a kind of sense to me as a reader. And because it 'fit' in the story, I could view Fan Xian as a very shameless character, going around using other people's accomplishments in the previous civilization to advance his own prospects in the current one. 

In DD Tang San's second life never really 'fit' for me (on an emotional level, not an intellectual one), which is why I'm not unhappy they dropped it from the series.

====================

Singularity:
I think that maybe Wang Juan should stick with political/mystery stories and not cultivation stories.

*Disclaimer: this next bit is just my point of view. If you think it's insulting, please look past the insult and focus on the content*

Let's face it. Straightforward cultivation stories are simplistic, and because of that simplicity, bland and ultimately boring.

>Be underleveled and so likely to lose against your opponents.

>Level up using either training or some specially gained 'skill'.

>Win against your opponents.

>Rinse, repeat.

What makes so-called cultivation stories work are the added emotional payoffs and side stories of politics, mystery, fantasy, whatever.

An evil opponent wants to kill your weak arse because (insert whatever emotional/political/mysterious/fantastical story element here). Level up, become stronger, beat your evil opponent, get that emotional payoff of being superior.

Those political/mystery elements you're deriding serve as the story backbone for the reason to cultivate.

====================

OniBro:
Wang Juan's bio here

Side note : when a person's own bio declares themselves to be famous, personally I think that's a bit problematic. ^^

=====================

apocalib:
Nothing against Oscar's actor because I actually like him (and Oscar) but it's probably a two notches too high on the cringe scale to be funny.

+1

=====================

apocalib:
To be really blunt and honest, he just failed at adapting Douluo.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you guys on this. I think we need to wait until the completion of the series to see how his altered plot lines work out in full. It's too early to tell.

I agree the alterations are somewhat unsettling for those of us who have read, and become used to, the original story. However sometimes alterations to the original can be good. I don't think we can really judge without seeing the whole picture.

Can't see the forest for the trees, etcetera etcetera.

Xien_Rue:
Xiao Zhan fans dominated by female. And I doubt there are lots of them that TRULY liking this genre. So, with Xiao Zhan gone, the production can kiss goodbye to the bulk of their viewers.

Being female myself, and having the point of view that pure cultivation stories are boring, and what ultimately makes a so-called cultivation story success are it's other story elements aside from the cultivation, I can't argue against your assertion about whether female fans 'TRULY liking this genre'.

However, I ask you, when I say that it's the story elements other than the cultivation which make the cultivation genre successful, am I wrong...?

Douluo Dalu and Swallowed Star are good examples.

A pure cultivation story would bore all our socks off, regardless of gender.

Xien_Rue:
Regarding The King Avatar, it was a good adaptation. The drama change and addition were enriching the story instead of destroying it. Now that is a drama that deserve season 2. Not this one.

Eeeh. 

I admit, I loved the first season, and am very much wanting to see the second because they did it so well.

However ....

A lot of the relationship development, the depiction of the 'romance' in online play, was in the first half of the book leading up to their challenger league win. The second half, which was primarily focussed on their path through the pro season, got boring because it wasn't really much more than that.

I'm cautiously looking forward to the second season because the first season was done so well, but am also a little terrified the second season, if it strictly follows the book, might be a let down as the second half of the book was. I'm very much hoping they can work their dramatic arts fingertips to the bone to make the second season just as addictive as the first.

That said:

(1) I really missed the Unrivalled Super Hottie arc from novel. I know it's probably too late since the Cleric has already been adopted into the team but I'm hoping they can work it in.

(2) I loved the character of Fang Rui in the novel. Can't wait to see what he's like in the series.

@10katie01 - you are in the wrong place. 

You can go back to the comments and talk there, this is not a place for you. We really don't need yet another person telling us how this is great, cultivation stories suck. You can try and disguise your rhetoric all you want, it's the same nonsense drama lovers have been using to get book lovers to shut up since the start. 

I have watched over 30 episodes out of 40 and I am perfectly capable of making up my mind whether this is a fail or not. I don't need your permission to decide nor do I need to fulfil your conditions. Have at least some decency and leave us in peace. You can gush about this and the script in the comments. 

@Shrimpy - who made you god?

This is an open forum, last I knew.

And this thread, as I understood it, was for people who had already read or watched previous material of this IP to discuss it openly without ruining the mood of first time viewers. 

Now all of a sudden a person is only welcome if they're bitter about it?

Funny, that you would criticize WJ's fanbase as being mindless drones, but can't take a person expressing an opinion you find disagreeable.

The thread is named "novel fans and donghua fans sanctuary" not "let's all be negative here".

I expressed my thoughts on this and related IPs mentioned (I believe) in a respectful manner. I didn't tell you to shut up and go away (as you did).

I didn't say you were unable to make up your own mind.

I didn't say you needed my permission.

I don't believe I laid out any conditions you had to satisfy.

I simply and respectfully disagreed on one or two points.

Why don't you have some decency to learn how to deal with people who have points of view that differ from your own.

Toughen up you precious little petal.