Vote :D Vote :D Vote :D Vote :D!!! For me I like korean the most and then taiwanese dramas.
I can't choose. They all have their bad and good sides.
We had this poll probably 2-3x in the history of MDL. But I am happy to vote again and see a refresher on the vote, although I would be surprised to see if it is anything but Korean dominant as per the previous polls. Also the poll is a little misleading. "most" = 1 selection, which I will abide by.
bannie wrote: We had this poll probably 2-3x in the history of MDL. But I am happy to vote again and see a refresher on the vote, although I would be surprised to see if it is anything but Korean dominant as per the previous polls.

Also the poll is a little misleading. "most" = 1 selection, which I will abide by.

There was one before? I didn't know...
well it depends: modern drama- korean historical- mainland china variety- taiwan comedy- hong kong
my asian drama obsession started with k-dramas. i prefer romantic melodramas and t-dramas have a more mature approach to the genre (which is lacking in the most of k-dramas). because of that, score is 50:50
Japanese dramas have themes that I enjoy the most.
I chose Korean & Japanese, but actually they all have elements that I like. For eg, I like that Korean cinema/TV has more of a Hollywood feel to it. It's flashy, the men are (or tend to be) larger than life; money, power & status are important to them. In Japan, I LOVE their understated, but meaningful approach to storytelling. Their productions often lack the gloss of Korea, but they never fail to stir deep emotions. Taiwan, I believe, seem to be the most inexperienced when it comes to film/TV production. I'm not always impressed by the quality of their shows, either technically or artistically, BUT I love their mature approach to love & romance! Unlike the conservative Koreans and Japanese who shy away from physicality, sex and or any mention of it, the Taiwanese allow their stories to take a natural course in this regard! I love this! :-) So yeah, there's something special about all 3. I've seen a couple Chinese movies, but no dramas. Same goes for Hong Kong. If it's the right mix of genre, actors & plot then I'd love delve more into what China & Hong Kong have to offer. For the time being though I'm happy with just Korean, Japanese & Taiwanese offerings.
Japanese: a) because I'm studying and can understand the language b) there is just something that is so relatable about them. Even though they're from a completely different culture I can identify many of my life experiences or thoughts and opinions to Japanese dramas. Also, though Japanese dramas can be over the top plot-wise, there is a simplicity about these dramas in that they usually depict normal occurrences in everyday life. Most of the time, when I watch a Japanese drama I can learn something from it or I feel that I can apply the story to my own life. It might sound kind of silly but for me Japanese dramas are deep. Even the ones with silly plot lines. I also like the subdued production values. You can tell that more work is being put into the story instead of fancy sets and expensive fashions for the characters. With Korean dramas, I think the people, sets and lifestyles of the characters are almost too perfect; it's like almost everyone is rich and beautiful (even the so-called "ugly" or "unattractive" characters). When I watch them I can't really relate because their lifestyle seem so much more fancier than mine. However, I haven't watched a ton of Korean dramas so I could be wrong, but I never really got that "down to Earth" feel from them. c) Again, this might seem a little silly but I feel like I learn a lot about the culture from watching Japanese dramas (though the same could be said about any foreign drama). I haven't even been to the country yet but I feel like I am already familiar with the lifestyles and customs of the people. As for Taiwanese Chinese or Hong Kong dramas, I haven't watched any but I might watch some soon. The thing is I like studying languages so I feel like if I start watching them I'm going to get the Chinese learning bug...
The way I see it it's mostly young people under 17 who likes Japanese dramas. Am I wrong? O.o It's just Japanese dramas have more of those teen-weird dramas. And many of them are remakes of a manga/anime or something. I guess teens like those more. I never watched that many Japanese dramas and I still put them aside but I liked/like the remakes of my favorite animes. ^^ Besides. Don't get mad. But I think most Japanese guys are kind of short and ugly.. I'am not saying all. There are exceptions. Believe me. Like the guy from the new remake of Itazura Na Kiss- Tokyo. He was quite HOT. But I guess that's because he's mixed blood. :D
Japanese.
i'm a quasi exclusive japanese dramas watcher. Shortly, because I like the atmosphere of these dramas, I enjoy the language a lot (though i hardly speak Japanese), and the plots seem to me more complex than in other ones. And now i'm used to Japanese actors, I like to meet them from time to time in different dramas.
Though I sometimes enjoy Korean dramas, I find them refreshing, in some kind of ways, and lighter than Japanese ones, which is enjoyable once in a while.

Drama4lover wrote: The way I see it it's mostly young people under 17 who likes Japanese dramas. Am I wrong? O.o
It's just Japanese dramas have more of those teen-weird dramas. And many of them are remakes of a manga/anime or something.
I guess teens like those more. I never watched that many Japanese dramas and I still put them aside but I liked/like the remakes of my favorite animes. ^^

Besides. Don't get mad. But I think most Japanese guys are kind of short and ugly.. I'am not saying all. There are exceptions. Believe me. Like the guy from the new remake of Itazura Na Kiss- Tokyo. He was quite HOT. But I guess that's because he's mixed blood. :D

I don't agree with you. Mostly because what I've said previously and because i'm almost 32. And I enjoy a lot school dramas, even if my school years are far away now. and i haven't read most of the mangas that are adaptated in dramas.
Considering tastes about asian men, I find Japanese actors far more attractive than korean ones. That's maybe because i'm watching only J-dramas, i'm used to their features, and I think you tend to like more people's face the more you know them (= you watch them).
(don't be misunderstood, i'm not mad at all in writing it, it's just my own opinion)

Sorry for my bad English today, I didn't use the site for the last two weeks and I feel like a student in the beginning of a new school year, trying to remember what he has learnt months ago...
Drama4lover wrote: The way I see it it's mostly young people under 17 who likes Japanese dramas. Am I wrong? O.o
It's just Japanese dramas have more of those teen-weird dramas. And many of them are remakes of a manga/anime or something.
I guess teens like those more. I never watched that many Japanese dramas and I still put them aside but I liked/like the remakes of my favorite animes. ^^

Besides. Don't get mad. But I think most Japanese guys are kind of short and ugly.. I'am not saying all. There are exceptions. Believe me. Like the guy from the new remake of Itazura Na Kiss- Tokyo. He was quite HOT. But I guess that's because he's mixed blood. :D

I can only speak from my experience but I know/have encountered many people who are into Japanese culture or study the language. So few of them are even remotely interested in Japanese dramas...most are interested in anime. Even the ones that seem to be the most crazy about Japanese culture have no interest in dramas at all. I'm guessing because anime has more appeal while many write dramas off as cheesy. And like you said, many find the actors unattractive. For example, I have seen someone say that Kenshin in the anime is much more attractive that Sato Takeru in the movie. While there are lots of teen dramas, there are plenty of dramas geared more towards adults as well. The way I see, amongst those who actually watch Japanese dramas, the teen dramas tend to be more popular because they star a lot of idols (Johnny's, AKB etc.) and pretty boy actors. I wouldn't say there are more teen dramas. Even if you look at the currently airing dramas only a couple are teen dramas and the rest are detective or family orientated.
tampopo100 wrote: I can only speak from my experience but I know/have encountered many people who are into Japanese culture or study the language. So few of them are even remotely interested in Japanese dramas...most are interested in anime. Even the ones that seem to be the most crazy about Japanese culture have no interest in dramas at all.

This is my experience also. And the few people I know who are into j-drama (the classmates who made me want to watch, and a few online friends) are all between 25 and 30+ years (including myself). But I don't know if I should even vote in this poll - I have only seen Japanese dramas so far, so I guess it's not entirely fair to say that I like them the most. I just like them, and I'm not under 17. But I have noticed, since I joined MDL, that Korean dramas seem to be more popular, and it would be interesting to know why. As for myself, it started because of my interest in the Japanese language and then it became some kind of obsession... I've been thinking I should probably try some Korean/Taiwanese/Chinese drama sometime, but I haven't yet...
lily_b wrote: This is my experience also. And the few people I know who are into j-drama (the classmates who made me want to watch, and a few online friends) are all between 25 and 30+ years (including myself). But I don't know if I should even vote in this poll - I have only seen Japanese dramas so far, so I guess it's not entirely fair to say that I like them the most. I just like them, and I'm not under 17. But I have noticed, since I joined MDL, that Korean dramas seem to be more popular, and it would be interesting to know why. As for myself, it started because of my interest in the Japanese language and then it became some kind of obsession... I've been thinking I should probably try some Korean/Taiwanese/Chinese drama sometime, but I haven't yet...

I think K-dramas are more popular because the actors tend to be more conventionally good looking. They are much more built muscularly, tend to have flawless skin, and have an overall masculine appeal. While Japanese actors are thinner, more feminine, and most aren't "conventionally" good looking (crooked teeth, pimples, etc.). And since Kpop is in a surge in popularity and many of the idols star in dramas, a lot of people might get turned onto the dramas because of that. Plus, you can watch K-dramas anywhere, whereas J-dramas aren't so widely available. But that could be an entirely different conversation...we could also wonder why Chinese dramas aren't anywhere near as popular as Korean or Japanese dramas. And why aren't other Asian dramas popular either, like Thai, Phillipines, etc. I just totally went off on a tangent lol.