Shenmi:

Ahw thank you friend wish you happy holidays as well :)

Your welcome~ and thank you ♡♡

Happy New Year! 

What historical drama are you looking forward to the most this year?

I'm most looking forward to Snow Eagle Lord, hopefully it'll meet expectations!!

imagine:

Happy New Year! 

I most looking forward to Snow Eagle Lord, hopefully it'll meet expectations!!

Hi, tnx and also a very Happy 2023

Not looking forward to a new costume drama, just waiting for S2 of Joy of Life, 2yrs already but I don't believe that's ever gonna happen again :((  

I checked SEL and it's with Xu Kai  and some other favourite players, so I'll keep that mind, tnx! 

Happy new year everyone!!! 

I'm looking forward to finally catching up with sone of the dramas already released during 2022 & the previous years (Sword Snow Stride, The Wind Blows From Longxi, Side Story of Fox Volant, The Longest Day In Chang'an, etc.) the most! 

From those waiting to be aired, Love and Sword, Wonderland of Love, Jin Yong Wuxia Universe, Young Blood 2, and The Ingenious One

imagine:

Happy New Year! 

I most looking forward to Snow Eagle Lord, hopefully it'll meet expectations!!

Our Blooming Youth. I'm a sucker for a good saguek. Also, the time traveling Thai dramas I Feel You Linger In the Air and Love Upon a Time.

I have some C dramas I want to see as well, but I've learned to never hope for airdates there - better to just be pleasantly surprised when it airs. 

Happy New Year, everyone!!! May 2023 be filled with absolutely wonderful historical dramas!!!

Late to this thread (sorry).  Wishing all the HDC members the very best that 2023 can offer.

Sending you all warm thoughts:) 

Nienna

Hey folks, I'm making a challenge with classic tales from China. I'm pretty excited about it. So far the challenge is made up of three categories:

1. Literary Classics
  2. Classic Folktales
  3. Supernatural Tales

I might end up taking out Classic Folktales but haven't decided yet. Of the four folktales, Lady Meng Jiangnu doesn't seem to have any adaptations on MDL yet (I added a bunch of them myself to the database within the last 24 hrs). If I switch out Folktales, I might try to make a Mythology category for example. The only trouble with that is the Mythology category has some overlap with the Supernatural Tales. Still thinking on that.... but I want to keep all the categories around the same size (minimum 3 items, maximum 6).  

In the supernatural classics, there seemed to be 5 anthologies that were considered to be classics. One of them is What the Master Would Not Discuss collected by Yuan Mei. It's allegedly a collection of stories that Confucius excluded from the Analects

At the moment I'm using a list of short stories from the What the Master Would Not Discuss to look for titles on MDL (thanks to the help of Apollymi who also inspired the challenge in the first place). At the moment, I'm adding anything I find to a list for me to start researching with, but I'm pretty sure only 1 or 2 titles on this list will actually end up being based on the collection. Trouble is, it's hard to check because the only translated version of the collection is a super expensive book. Luckily there's a version of it floating around online. I don't think it includes all the stories (which would be wild, the entire thing is like 34 volumes long), but it's a place to start. I'll probably end up excluding What the Master Would Not Discuss from the challenge just because this seems like the kind of research that might take a year or more, but it's fun so I wanted to mention it ^_^

Just wanted to share this project with people who enjoy learning about history and legends! I think I'll probably release the challenge with a note about these things. I'm still working on the challenge, but I'm hoping to release it this month or next. I also eventually plan to make challenges based on classic wuxia from China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, and a challenge based on immortals and deities :^D.  

Anyway, this is all thanks to Apollymi who did a ton of really research in this already. Please check out her lists! 

That sound like a fun challenge! I appreciate all the work you put into it. I'll be looking forward to your official post <3

@fiflydramalover Your challenge sounds awesome!!

fiflydramalover:
Anyway, this is all thanks to Apollymi who did a ton of really research in this already. Please check out her lists! 

I'm also a fan of her lists, I've bookmarked many of them!!

fiflydramalover:
So far the challenge is made up of three categories:

Literary Classics
Classic Folktales
Supernatural Tales

Will this also include Liaozhai? I'm basically unofficially have a self-challenge to watch as many adaptations as possible out of it (mainly because I love stories like these), and I've also made a list HERE (of course Apollymi beat me to it, though my list's main difference is that I've tried to sort them by date).

And the same goes for Jin Yong's novels, which I'm trying to either read or watch (or both) most of them, though it will be challenging finding English translation for everything!

fiflydramalover:
One of them is What the Master Would Not Discuss collected by Yuan Mei. It's allegedly a collection of stories that Confucius excluded from the Analects.

At the moment I'm using a list of short stories from the What the Master Would Not Discuss to look for titles on MDL (thanks to the help of Apollymi who also inspired the challenge in the first place). At the moment, I'm adding anything I find to a list for me to start researching with, but I'm pretty sure only 1 or 2 titles on this list will actually end up being based on the collection. Trouble is, it's hard to check because the only translated version of the collection is a super expensive book. Luckily there's a version of it floating around online. I don't think it includes all the stories (which would be wild, the entire thing is like 34 volumes long), but it's a place to start. I'll probably end up excluding What the Master Would Not Discuss from the challenge just because this seems like the kind of research that might take a year or more, but it's fun so I wanted to mention it ^_^

I think THIS book is the same, maybe it has different/less stories translated, but it's a little cheaper. Thanks for this, I wasn't aware of this collection of stories at all!! :)

fiflydramalover:
If I switch out Folktales, I might try to make a Mythology category for example. The only trouble with that is the Mythology category has some overlap with the Supernatural Tales.

I've found THIS which I plan to buy when I can, maybe something like this would be useful. And yes, there's definitely an overlap there, for example Madam White Snake (which has countless adaptations btw) could maybe belong in Folktales, Supernatural Tales, and/or Mythology at the same time?

Estelll:
Will this also include Liaozhai?

Yes! It does how cool that you could tell! It makes me feel like the challenge is going in the right direction ^_^ When it comes to the supernatural category, this one focuses more collections rather than specific stories unlike the other categories, so it's the most flexible category. Honestly it could probably be its own challenge, but I'm not gonna think about that for now haha.

Estelll:
And the same goes for Jin Yong's novels,

So he is not included in this challenge, but he would be included in the wuxia challenge I plan to make. 

Thanks for the books recommendations! I think the first one might actually include more stories so that's awesome! 

Reading the synopsis of the second book and seeing, "Yi the Archer, who shot suns out of the sky to save humanity from a drought" made me think of The Untamed's iconic kite scene and the Sunshot Campaign. Considering how many references to Chinese literature MXTX uses throughout her series, it makes me curious if there's a possible connection here. I'll have to read it when I get the chance ^_^ Thanks for that :3 

And honestly things like this are why i want to make these kinds of challenges. I feel like there's always a layer of depth I'm missing because I don't know the classic stories. It's like watching any of the shows/movies on MDL about Cinderella without knowing the original story.

Estelll:
I'm also a fan of her lists, I've bookmarked many of them!!

I am glad that you like it

Estelll:
I've also made a list HERE (of course Apollymi beat me to it, though my list's main difference is that I've tried to sort them by date).

When i was making that list, i also saw yours but i knew that a lot of adaptations were missing from MDL so i have tried to find all i could but yes your list was also helpful.

I would love to join this amazing club and find new historical dramas to watch ^^