SCREEN+ Vol.90 Part 2

To X T Nisha 

--- Komakine-san's hair is high-tone and Niihara-san's is dark color, so they are closer to the original visuals.

Komakine: "I had blonde hair in the drama "Kyou Kara Hitman" that aired last October, so I wondered if the day would come soon again when I would have to dye my hair. What do you think of the color this time?
 Maybe (laughs)." Niihara: "It really suits you!"
 Komakine: "Really? I'm glad to hear you say that. It's hard to take care of my hair, but I'll do anything for the sake of my work."
 Niihara: "On the other hand, I dyed my hair black. It's been a while since I've appeared in a drama with black hair (laughs)."

In the original work, Hayama Masumi is a person with an elusive and mysterious sense of tempo, while Shirasaki Yuki is straightforward and has the impression of being passionate enough to do anything for the role.

Komakine: "Regarding Hayama, I talked with the director about making him a more human character than in the original work. In the second half of the drama, the inner side of Hayama comes out more. I worked with the director and the staff to create the character of Hayama so that people would empathize with him and root for him."
Niihara: When I play Shirasaki, the tone of my voice is important. I try to be as natural as possible. Shirasaki in the original work is not the type to be too cute, so I want to make that part of the story. I talked with the original author, Hiroko Natsuno, and it seemed like a manly uke would be an appealing point, so I hope I can pursue that.

--Hayama and Shirasaki, what do you both keep in mind when acting?

Niihara: "The character I play, Shirasaki, is a young actor who had difficulty making it big. I myself have been in the ensemble and been an extra in TV dramas and commercials, so I can really understand Shirasaki's feelings. I've always wondered when I would make it big, when I would be able to stand out more, so I thought this was a role I could really project myself into. Shirasaki has a manly side, but also a There are some very sensitive aspects to it. It's a role with a lot of mixed emotions, so I want to play Shirasaki while keeping my antennae up in various places, while still having a firm core within myself."
Komakine: "I work as an actor, but I think there are only a handful of actors who can be called popular. I think those people have something that other people don't have, so I hope that I can play the role well while learning about what it is about Hayama that attracts so many people through the drama.

--What do you think is the appeal of the characters that each of you play? Do you think that is the case?

Komakine: "We are now living in a society where it is difficult to speak our true feelings. But in that world, Shirasaki is someone who can speak coherently. There aren't many people like that these days, so I aspire to be that kind of person myself, and I find that very attractive about Shirasaki. Also, it's really cool that he has such a strong will to be an actor and to be successful. That's something that attracts me, too."
 Niihara: "Hayama has a lot of charisma, and I really admire Hayama as an actor. And he has an angelic quality. He has an air of calmness, like a person who is not shaken by anything. That is Hayama's charm, but this is just my image, but I think that kind of person has a lot of pent up worries inside them. I think that the person who can empathize with such a person is a truly honest person, so I thought that Shirasaki was the one who could empathize with Hayama.

--Hayama and Shirasaki "entered into a romantic relationship and engaged in a pseudo-romance" to prepare for their roles in the drama "Daytime Dream" within the play. What is it like to act in a play within a play within a drama?

Niihara: First, we as actors play a role, and then we play another role in the play. It's like we're creating a new existence that keeps emanating from within ourselves. So I think it's important to switch roles, and so I think Komakine and I need to use our heads, discuss things together, and solidify our roles."
Komakine: "Even though it's a play within a play, I think that if I just acted carelessly, it would ruin the whole work, so I thought I had to do it carefully. Since it's a BL play within a BL drama, the big challenge was to play similar characters.
 Niihara: Yes, that's right. We are currently filming the drama, but for the characters we play, Shirasaki and Hayama, it is their job to play their roles in the drama "Daytime Dream." If we cut corners there, the meaning of the work will be lost, so we want to act carefully.

" How do you prepare for a role in a play within a play?

Komakine: First, at the script reading stage, we discussed whether we should go with completely different characters. However, if we did that, it would have meant that it would no longer fit into the play within the play, "Daytime Dream." There are many wonderful scenes in "Daytime Dream," and I thought that if we changed them completely, the characters of Shirasaki and Hayama might fall apart. So, although the roles are similar to Hayama and Shirasaki, it is necessary to play them differently so that the audience can feel that they are different. That is still a long way to go. I’m considering it.”
Niihara: Same for me. The costumes are different, and the scenes change, so maybe that's what the audience will understand, but if I don't act with some kind of filter, it won't be the Takumi played by Shirasaki. I don't play Takumi in the play within the play, so I agonized over it until the very last moment, listening to the director and Natsuno-sensei, and came up with the Takumi played by Shirasaki.

-- For Shirasaki, "Daytime Dream" is also a chance for him to see his own feelings. The play within the play is also very important in terms of stirring up Shirasaki's emotions.

Niihara: That's right. I think that the fun of this production comes from me immersing myself in the play within the play as Shirasaki. As I'm acting, the gap between myself and the character disappears, and we become one in feeling... This may be something that happens to actors, but it seems really strange to the audience. It may be a special moment, so I hope I can act it out beautifully."

By the way, what do you two usually do during the holiday?

Komakine: I usually sleep. I go to bed around 10 or 8 p.m. But I have a radio show (Monday personality on "Recomen!"), so on the days I have a radio show I get home at exactly 5 p.m. After playing futsal, I often go to Akasaka to take a bath and come out at exactly 1:00am (laughs)."
 Niihara: "If I have to get up early the next day, I'll of course sleep in, but I'm quite a night owl, so I'm usually either in bed or doing something else at the last minute. But I was watching anime or playing games at home. I was in Akasaka at 5 o'clock. No (laughs)."
 DramaNomNom:
When I watched Takara-Kun and Amagi-kun, I wanted to see the two best friends get together...it would've been so cute since they're both funny. 

Yes!!! Tanaka and Katori were extraordinarily good supporting roles. It would have been great to see these fine actors together in a BL, but at least we saw them go on to star separately in their own BLs (Komiya Rio in the excellent "Eien no Kinou" and Suzuki Kosuke in "Jack O'Frost", also reasonably good).

FortPeatForever:
I hope things start getting better for you soon. ♡

I'm dealing with a domino effect right now. It feels like once I start on one thing, everything else falls into place. However, I'm currently waiting on others to handle a task that I need in order to move forward with the 20 other things on my to-do list. It can be quite frustrating. While I admit to procrastinating on some things, I make a conscious effort not to put off the more crucial tasks, as delaying them could lead to trouble later on. My perfectionist tendencies can lead to impatience, and I often find myself stressing out. But overall, things are coming together, and in just a week and a half,they are being resolved. I can't complain too much, as it could have taken much longer. So, no worries – everything is working itself out. I even have some free time to catch up on all the dramas I've missed!

p43425:

Yes!!! Tanaka and Katori were extraordinarily good supporting roles. It would have been great to see these fine actors together in a BL, but at least we saw them go on to star separately in their own BLs (Komiya Rio in the excellent "Eien no Kinou" and Suzuki Kosuke in "Jack O'Frost", also reasonably good).

OMG I didn't know that! I just watched Jack O'Frost today...I thought he looked familiar. Didn't care for the series though. Eien no Kinou is going on the watchlist :) Is Rio the lead or is he supporting again?

SN: the synopsis for the show is making me laugh already with indeed "alive" XD

DramaNomNom:
Eien no Kinou is going on the watchlist :) Is Rio the lead or is he supporting again?

He's the lead, and he's really good. Although the story is a bit morose morbid for me, it's otherwise excellent. Definitely recommended.

Komiya was also in "Grand Guignol", which is a splatter movie with significant BL elements (including Komiya as well as the adorably cute Sota Ryusoke from "Fukou-kun wa ..."). I don't recommend "Guignol" unless you know what you're getting yourself into; it's interesting but also one of the bloodiest things I've ever seen.

Happy of the end - caught up on all 4 episodes

This series is not for everyone as it is vivid in the issues it explores. Hence this post may not be for everyone so if you have triggers do not read.

It is dark, seedy and a harsh reality. I look forward to every episode until the end. There is so much to unpack in this series. It is not sugar coated; it gives you a harsh reality in its rawest form. To think that as I type this someone somewhere is living this harsh reality of not know where your next meal is coming from, being desperate for survival to the point of selling yourself, being beaten down and traumatised so many times that you just wish next beat down will end it all, is just heartbreaking.

This series is taking on displaying a harsh reality which is risky given what BL audiences have come to be used to but every story deserves to be told because it reminds us of how others are living and the pain and suffering they go through which encourages us to help if we can as well as be grateful for what we have when we are being ungrateful. 

The sexual and emotional abuse of children and the stone cold truth of what prostitution out of desperation being told here is sobering. We see people every day during our daily activities but we do not really see them; most times they are just a flash in our vision. There are so many things wrong with the world; it can be a broken place and sometimes those flashes in our vision are just shards of it. 

Completely unrelated to this series, but I remember this woman who cried when she rented her first place, now the place was not big or fancy, it was small and cheap. However she cried because she remembers where she is coming from; when she was molested by a family member and got thrown out, was placed in a child shelter, and then when she turned 18 was put out of the shelter and became homeless. She struggled and bounced from one friend's home to the next but she finally made enough to rent that small place. How can she not cry. 

My point being that this series is not here to be cute and romantic; it is here to serve as an acknowledgement of the harsh reality of so many victims of prostitution, discrimination, child abuse, sex trade, etc. 

I look forward to the next episode.

There is also so much to interpret in the name of this series; Happy of the End

I just watched Ep 1 & 2 of Kidnap and

Funny story, once as a kid I sleep walked across my grandma’s house, out into the porch, where my aunt caught me lol

I have a cousin who used to get tied to the bed at night because she did this sort of thing so often.

Moving on, I’m so excited for some of the new GMMTV pairings coming this year eg. PerthSanta (Perfect 10Liners), MarkOhm (Sweet Tooth, Good Dentist) , WilliamEst (ThamePo), JossGawain (My Golden Blood)— specially with OhmLeng feeling so top tier ;; 

p43425:
He's the lead, and he's really good. Although the story is a bit morose for me, it's otherwise excellent. Definitely recommended.

Just finished ep 1.. wait a minute...so is he supposed to be a "zombie"?

DramaNomNom:
so is he supposed to be

(re "Eien no Kinou") Something like that, yeah. Just keep watching.

P.S. Sorry, I used the wrong word above. I meant "morbid", not "morose" - although as you might expect, it's a bit sad, too.

axdxex:
Funny story

That one time, my mom caught me sleepwalking; it was pretty weird. I walked to the kitchen and grabbed cheese; even though I loathe American cheese, I think it tastes like wax. I have no idea what kind of nightmare I was having! LOL

axdxex:
I have a cousin who used to get tied to the bed at night

I hope they're okay now. This sounds frightening. I can't imagine waking up the next morning and not being able to move.

axdxex:
, I’m so excited for some of the new GMMTV pairings coming this year

PerthSanta - Santa doesn't ring a bell, but I'm looking forward to discovering more about Perth. I'm probably going to receive criticism for this but I feel like his previous partnership didn't allow him to explore his true potential. I'm excited to see where this new pairing will take them.

I do still wish Chimon all the best and hope he is taking care of his health 

WilliamEst- SO FREAKIN EXCITED I NEED THIS TO HAPPEN LIKE NOW!

p43425:

(re "Eien no Kinou") Something like that, yeah. Just keep watching.

P.S. Sorry, I used the wrong word above. I meant "morbid", not "morose" - although as you might expect, it's a bit sad, too.

Yeah the confession got me in the feels; I think the ending might hit me too.  The special thing caught me by surprise! 

Simi_Tutu:
Santa doesn't ring a bell, but I'm looking forward to discovering more about Perth.

Santa starred in "My Only 12%", where he proved himself to be not only super cute but also a seriously good actor. I think he'll fit really well with Perth.

Simi_Tutu:
I'm probably going to receive criticism for this but I feel like his previous partnership didn't allow him to explore his true potential.

In all fairness to both Perth and Saint, Perth was only 16 at the time of LBC, plus there was the feud between their respective agencies, for which neither is to blame.

P.S. Whoops, I realise now that you were talking about Chimon. Silly me. I can't help wonder if Chimon's "health" was really about some sort of falling out between him and Perth, or maybe Chimon just didn't want to do BLs any more.

I want to join.

ZachRivera:

I want to join.

Welcome to the club :)

So I tried Eien no Kinou  and was interested by in typical japanese fashion, they take a quirky idea and it gets really dumb really fast in attempt to get you to think. I dont want him quarantined in a hospital and studied ~ proceeds to tell the whole class and a nurse LOL

I also dropped Takara's treasure because it's like every....shoujo....ever ...

Yeah, Japanese BL's arent doing very well for me I'm afraid.