2018 Watch Challenge Discussion

This discussion has been closed.

hikali:

Hello. I was wondering in which category I could put "Hwarang". I thought it'd fit in Historical but I just noticed the Historical category is limited to the Goryeo or Joseon dynasties, while Hwarang takes place during the Silla dynasty. So now I'm confused v_v

Well, just go down your challenge list and see what else it works for.  I have not seen Hwarang, but it's a romance, right?  Does it fit for "childhood friends" or "first love"?  Does it have an actor or actress that you particularly like, enough that you could consider them a favorite?  Did you ever have it on hold or is one of the genres something you normally dislike?  If all else fails, I think you might be able to justify calling the hwarangs athletes, since they're supposed to be warriors, right?

zeamays:

Well, just go down your challenge list and see what else it works for.  I have not seen Hwarang, but it's a romance, right?  Does it fit for "childhood friends" or "first love"?  Does it have an actor or actress that you particularly like, enough that you could consider them a favorite?  Did you ever have it on hold or is one of the genres something you normally dislike?  If all else fails, I think you might be able to justify calling the hwarangs athletes, since they're supposed to be warriors, right?

I quote, I do that all the time, first I watch a drama just for fun and then scroll through the challenge list to see if I can put it in some category.  

I suppose it could fit First Love then. Thanks!

A quick wiki search shows that the show won 2 awards for acting, and that each of the main actors have won awards for other shows. 

Most show fit many categories. Occassionally  I shuffle around the things I've watched to make room for new shows I've finished.

DarylJ:

A quick wiki search shows that the show won 2 awards for acting, and that each of the main actors have won awards for other shows. 

Most show fit many categories. Occassionally  I shuffle around the things I've watched to make room for new shows I've finished. 

Yup.   And occasionally this gets very complicated ;)  I did a 4 or 5 way swap the other day and it took some concentration to make sure I got everything where it was supposed to go.

I already found one of that time, i dont remember where though...

Are there plans for a 2019 challenge? 

I've been holding off on starting a couple of the current dramas in preparation.

Hessa Volunteer Staff

I'm not sure, I might allow someone else to plan it. Or maybe we should accept suggestions over here since don't have any ideas as to how I could improve it or make it more fun.

Look how fun are those:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1582476

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1696289

Hessa:

I'm not sure, I might allow someone else to plan it. Or maybe we should accept suggestions over here since don't have any ideas as to how I could improve it or make it more fun.

Look how fun are those:

What about a different kind of challenge, like revealing a different task each month but you do not have to complete each task within  the month but by the end of the year. 

For example:

January task:  watch a drama/movie  that contains winter or snow at least in one episode.

February  task: watch 2 drama  about love where there is something related to  valentine's day 

........    December  spell the word christmas  watching a drama/movie 

(it is a bit of a copy on what they do on trueachievment with videogame but  with dramawe need different rules due to the long hours required to complete a drama/movie)

If you complete the whole challenge you get a badge on your profile. 

Hessa:

Look how fun are those:

I would be perfectly happy with the challenge returning in it's current format, with maybe some new categories or entries. Not only did this challenge give me the opportunity to try some shows I likely would've passed on, but it also gave me the motivation to get through some of the backlog in my PTW list. 

If you wanted to add something new, I may have an idea for the bingo card. You get a card, pick a pattern, and from a list of 75 challenges you work to make a pattern. It could be simple like a traditional bingo or more intricate like filling the whole card. You could also do multiple cards and different patterns but you can't repeat shows. The only thing is I don't know how you could  go about actually making the cards show up here.

I did this last year, and I'm a dork, so I'm gonna do it again :D

My personal challenge in review post:

Movies watched: 29
Dramas/specials watched: 31
Favorite movies: Radiance, A Fool, Water Flower, Mandala
Favorite dramas: Sandglass, A Boy Called Flora A, Cheo Yong
Country distribution: Korea (34/60 = 56.7%); Japan (18/60 = 30%); China (5/60 = 8.3%); Taiwan (2/60 = 3.3%); Thailand (1/60 = 1.7%)
Total time spent: 30,255 minutes! (504.25 hours / 21.0 days / 3.0 weeks)
Oldest thing watched: Hand of Destiny and Twenty Four Eyes (both 1954)
Things I watched that I probably wouldn't have otherwise: Rakshasa Street (had never heard of it before searching manhua adaptations), Painted Skin: The Resurrection (had to do some searching to find something set in a fantasy world - why was that so hard?)
Average score given: 6.9 (excluding the two dramas I rewatched for the challenge)
Worst score: 1.5 (Kids)
Best score: 8.5 (to Radiance, Sandglass, Snowy Road)

This year's challenge was pretty different from last year's!  There were some categories that had me pretty stumped not because I couldn't find options, but that I wanted to want to watch the thing I chose, haha.  So it took me some time to find some things.  Last year, there were more categories that kind of forced me into watching some things (because there actually were fewer options based on how the categories were set up), for better or worse (I can think of examples of both, actually).  Even if they didn't end up being great dramas or movies, I like being pushed out of my box and for whatever reason, I didn't get that from this year's categories.  Or maybe it was me.  *shrugs*  Still, this gets me through a bit of my PTW backlog and it does make me search for some things, which I find fun.

Constructive criticism: I like the idea of giving more points for watching longer things, but I feel that the difference between 5 and 24 is too big.  And there are so many dramas much, much longer than 25 hours that the scoring doesn't reward much at all.  But I get that to make it perfectly fair, we'd need a multiplier or sliding scale and that people would object to having to do math. Ha.

So I'm sure I'll be back next year :)  Thank you again for organizing, Hessa!

Hessa Volunteer Staff

I'm currently finishing up the 2019 challenge it would be similar to the 2017 one.

It will be posted on the 1st of January if you are in the US (2nd of January for me).

Hessa:

I'm currently finishing up the 2019 challenge it would be similar to the 2017 one.

It will be posted on the 1st of January if you are in the US (2nd of January for me).

YAY can't wait! I didn't get to complete my 2018 one... but hopefully 2019 I can finish it!! thanks girl!

Hessa Volunteer Staff

This concludes the 2018 challenge. 

Thanks for all who participated and hope to see in the 2019 challenge.

Sleepninja locked this Jan 1, 2019 01:13 am