There were great J-Dramas. Mother, Woman, 1 Litre of Tears... Now there are neither that good nor that popular J.Dramas anymore. 

Hmm, I can't say that I feel that same, but how good dramas are now vs. then is a subjective topic. I won't speak to the popularity of dramas --- I'm not sure if you mean in a general sense among Jdrama fans or are speaking of ratings, but I pay little to no mind to that stuff. Things change as time flows, and that includes programming. Dramas now are not the same as they were in the '90s, and dramas will again differ from the present years from now as well. I think that is, in part, what gives certain shows a special feeling (or not) for their respective time periods and the generations of people who may or may not connect with them.

I don't know if your list is an accurate reflection of the Jdramas you've seen, but I recommend searching through the top and most popular doramas here on MDL if you haven't already---or start poking through drama titles of screenwriters who have caught your attention. I noticed two of the dramas you mention were penned by Sakamoto Yuji whose 2017 Quartet was extremely popular and enjoyed by many. He also came out with anone this year, which is definitely worth taking a look at!

I agree with you. Although I was born in the 2000s I really liked the dramas that came out in the 90s. The 90s was a interesting time. 

One liter of tears came from the "pure love era", the era that produce shows like "sekai no chusin, koizora, be with you, heavenly forest etc. That era is long gone now. As for mother and woman, those were directed by yuji sakamoto and if you haven't seen quartet it was also a great drama, same could also be said to anone. If you like a certain drama I suggest you check which director and scriptwriter involved in that drama and not just check which ones are famous cause each people have different taste. So in short I disagree with you as there are many underrated gems out there you just need to find them.

These are modern japanse dramas who I think are underrated. But again to each their own and hopefully you will like them. Title of drama is in description.

@tarkan-san. 

I do agree with what @theairtwit and @realdeal have said, and especially about their recommendations. 

I've taken a look at your list. i don't know if it's complete but there aren't that many Japanese dramas on cour completed list, so I'm not sure this is enough to make an assomption that today's J-dramas are not as  good as the previous ones (considering that Woman is not that old). It is a fact that Japanese dramas are less popular than what they were some years ago, at least in this community. But that doesn't mean there are not as good as "before". I'm not the kind to be nostalgic of the 90s and 2000s dramas (I haven't seen much in fact), and Im' alwyas able to find good dramas every season, even if pure gems are not that frequent. 

From your PTW list there are many dramas I'm considering at least as good as those you've mentioned if not better. I would suggest, in no order : the Hero series, the liar Game series , LIFE, Maou (and they are from the same era as Mother).  Other dramas from the second half of 2000s : Tumbling, Nobuta wo produce...

For more recent dramas (since 2011), I would also suggest Hanzawa Naoki, Kazoku Game, Nankyoku Tairiku, Wakamonotachi, Namonaki Doku and Petero no sourestu, Kazokugari... and so many more. 

I've recently dive into the WOWOW mini-dramas which are of great quality. You might like it, at least as it's short, so you can give it a try. 

All in all, as many of us have already done, search for the most famous ones at first, and then explore the less seen. Finding a great drama is not that easy, and you have to take the "risk" to see a bunch of average to find the gem you are searching for.  If you need some recommendations,  there are many japanese dramas lovers here who will gladly help you. I would also suggest to look into the forums, there were many threads asking for good recommendations but they tend to be burried.  

yo with anone, dele, sachiiro no one room, million yen women just from this year...idk but jdramas really steppin it up

As someone who watches solely J-dramas (except when a Hana yori dango remake comes out).  I can say that every era has good and bad dramas, just like every other country and language.  

SO I believe it is subjective, also you may have not found the genre that suits you.  I love all genres if done well (or has pretty face).

Folks ı meant there are not many j-dramas that we could cult. Good and loved by many. Some J-Dramas i saw, i didn't add them on my watch list because i didn't complete and i decided to watch from the start such as 1 Litre of Tears, Maou, Hero etc. So i know many things about J-Dramas. I know K Dramas are so popular which i don't get it because they are all the same. Of course there are good ones. But J-Dramas lost their watchability not completely of course. But  at least it is less than Mother era. For example Mother, Woman, 1 Litre of Tears have remakes around the world. I am Turkish and they have in Turkey for example. But there are not many shows that has potential to have it. Of course i continue to watch them. I hope they will return to that golden era.

And i will watch your suggestions thank you.

tarkan-san:
I know K Dramas are so popular which i don't get it because they are all the same. Of course there are good ones. But J-Dramas lost their watchability not completely of course. But  at least it is less than Mother era. For example Mother, Woman, 1 Litre of Tears have remakes around the world.

I'm not sure I completely follow you but SK is a lot more generous about sharing their content with the rest of the world, whereas Japan sadly is not (unless it's manga or anime). That's why remakes of Jdramas, like BoF and Mother, are more easily accessible than the original doramas themselves via legal (and sometimes illegal) channels.

theairtwit:

I'm not sure I completely follow you but SK is a lot more generous about sharing their content with the rest of the world, whereas Japan sadly is not (unless it's manga or anime). That's why remakes of Jdramas, like BoF and Mother, are more easily accessible than the original doramas themselves via legal (and sometimes illegal) channels.

But it's about demand. There are alot of demands for SK dramas. But i am fan of J-Dramas. I wish J-Dramas were more popular. And there are also Indian dramas. There are alot of demands for them too. C-Dramas are also rising up. But for me the best dramas (not in likable category. It's about content, theme, realism. ) are J.Dramas.

A lot of J-Drama are not focuses on romantic too much, a lot of drama you find them are almost non-romantic, investigation and weird stories. I remember that J-Drama used to be big back in 2000s for a long time until K-Drama starts overshadowing, there are also lots of demand of C-Drama, Turkish drama and other asian drama than J-Drama these days. I also used to watch a lot of spanish telenovea drama, which was very popular in Japan.

J-Drama with an non-romantic plot/acting is also strange, episodes are shorter, and they are increasing becoming low budget into these days, which is why people prefer high-budget dramas than J-Dramas.

I agree with others who felt sad to see that J-Drama are terrible looking, and that we're are getting less subbed. But this is prehaps, Japan's copyright laws try to take all of the J-Drama in illegal streaming websites down for good.

I also noticed on Crunchyroll there hasn't been new J-Drama in recent years as well, which is kinda shame.

(sorry for my poor English)

They've always felt a little stiff and stilted. It's just more pronounced now.

I dink dey used 2 be 9ood bud iz sdill really 9ood, bi99esd difference for me is probably i was youn9er and more impressionable back den, jdrama was also a nobeldy 2 me, so iz jus meand so much more.

nowadays i am old, haf wadched 1000s of jdramas so im nud surprised iz hard 2 find a 10

of course, jdramas sdill way superior 2 any oder drama, say american or korean sduff which are more mainsdream becuz of de populadion

tarkan-san:

But it's about demand. There are alot of demands for SK dramas. But i am fan of J-Dramas. I wish J-Dramas were more popular. And there are also Indian dramas. There are alot of demands for them too. C-Dramas are also rising up. But for me the best dramas (not in likable category. It's about content, theme, realism. ) are J.Dramas.

Agreed