Estelll:
I stand corrected, and THANK YOU VERY MUCH for it, @MusicalVeggies!!!

Most welcome! Glad I was able to make some things clearer and hopefully better for you. This is my absolute #1 Favourite Show (seen it more times than I could count, lol) so I'm always glad if I can make it just that wee bit better for another viewer. :)

PeachBlossomGoddess:
@MusicalVeggies the book has been sitting on my shelf for awhile now it sounds like it has got so much more rich detail I feel motivated to start reading it again. Or at least find a good audio version on Ximalaya or Lizi...

Unlike a lot of Chinese drama adaptations which tend to inject more content into their drama vis-a-vis the novel, 'Nirvana In Fire' is the other way round - it has been trimmed so much that only the absolutely critical and necessary plots/ arcs/ threads that are vital to the outcome or endgame are retained so the novel is definitely richer in detail but also a bit more meandering. The drama is super punchy and super tight but that makes me appreciate it so much more because nary a scene in here is redundant. Every scene is there by the production team for a reason so this is very much a blink-and-you'll-miss-it kind of show. Conversations are so packed with content that it is easy to miss a throwaway line which explains a particular detail. I've yet to see a show this tightly edited to this point, it blows my mind.

PS: Although the drama is practically 90% faithful to the book, there are still a couple of rather significant changes (do read the book yourself to see them!) but I personally like and prefer the changes made in the drama. Happy reading (if you do get around to reading it)! :)

Poia:

I don’t mind them, is just that I feel stupid. I barely catch up with names lol maybe I need more episodes to get into it. 

well... I saw 20 episodes and I could literally recognize like few main characters so yeah... I am screwed. and now I try can;t make myself to watch episode 3 hahaha

Kate:

well... I saw 20 episodes and I could literally recognize like few main characters so yeah... I am screwed. and now I try can;t make myself to watch episode 3 hahaha

We are on the same boat, start ep. 3 a few hours ago but wasn’t able to finish it. They talk so much that I get distracted every two minutes and start working the genealogical tree in my mind. It’s like in real life, if the discussion doesn’t interest me, I don’t care about the person is in front of me. Maybe I should focus less on who is who and just enjoy the scenes. 

Poia:

We are on the same boat, start ep. 3 a few hours ago but wasn’t able to finish it. They talk so much that I get distracted every two minutes and start working the genealogical tree in my mind. It’s like in real life, if the discussion doesn’t interest me, I don’t care about the person is in front of me. Maybe I should focus less on who is who and just enjoy the scenes. 

That's my problem... the plot is told and now shown... some characters are talked about but I legit don;t remember ever seeing them or they were shown once so there is no way from me to remember them. Which is 100% not the type of directing and storytelling I enjoy in dramas... or anywhere. 

Kate:

That's my problem... the plot is told and now shown... some characters are talked about but I legit don;t remember ever seeing them or they were shown once so there is no way from me to remember them. Which is 100% not the type of directing and storytelling I enjoy in dramas... or anywhere. 

Totally agree, this drama reminds me all those games that tells the story with the lore instead of using the gameplay. Like destiny, neverwinter etc. you have to read tons od documents to get the story despite playing for 300 hours. NIF is the same thing, despite watching it is actually like reading a book, problem is you have to build the story with their dialogues. As you said, it’s quite annoying reading about stuff or people you didn’t watched yet. 

Poia:
problem is you have to build the story with their dialogues

You can guess half of the plot and connection from Mei Chang Su's facial expressions. So even if you don't know someone's name, you know MCS dislikes them, so they are probably villains. 

mengosteen:

You can guess half of the plot and connection from Mei Chang Su's facial expressions. So even if you don't know someone's name, you know MCS dislikes them, so they are probably villains. 

Well, despite my liking for great facial expressions acting skill, I do like to follow a story knowing the name of who is on screen as well as see the plot development with some action and not only by words. As I said before, so far the direction/execution didn’t impress me. I appreciate having to deduct things, but I also expect the production to do its job. Since you said things start from ep. 20, I promise I will not drop it and give a fair try. but the introduction is killing the mood instead of building it. 

mengosteen:
So even if you don't know someone's name, you know MCS dislikes them, so they are probably villains.

I should hate generalizations like these, but somehow I'm loving this LMAO!!!! :D 

Poia:

if the mistake/coincidence favors the ML is not a coincidence nor a mistake! It's the author plotting. 

And THIS is the meta-comment of the century, ladies & gentlemen! Thank you, you made my author-sense tingling!!

But my advice to all you beautiful people would be to try to forget the meta-ness of it (although it leads to such hilarious comments), and instead of approaching it as an outsider, try to get yourselves immersed into the story. Instead of worrying on who's who, try to get a sense of what are the (hidden) feelings or nuances through all these clever dialogues. And if you DON'T understand what's implied, or not sure what a person feels or means, you can always ask here!! There are NO stupid questions!! :)    (I also asked a few in my recap already..)

Anyway, I still haven't watched the 3rd & 4th episode yet, either, been distracted with too many new & shiny dramas to try lately!!

I do like to joke about my authors, years of korean coincidences and bad ending experience lol

Being a logical person my brains goes mad until it can figure out the name / face of who they are talking. But I already notice is not working so I guess I will just try to follow the dialogues and eventually spam here. You asked tho! You will be responsible for me lol 

Just bear in mind the first arc is mainly about the rivalry between Crown Prince and Prince Yu. In eps 3/4 they are each trying to get their candidate married to Nihuang. Their mamas jump into the fray with dodgy inner palace tactics. Prince Jing's mama shows us how clever and resourceful she is. This triggers the backstory of Jingrui's mother Grand Princess Liyang and how she came to marry Marquis Xie (the crown prince's camp) - they are our ML's hosts. 

Meanwhile Mei Changsu reconnects with an old friend and saves a boy. Why and who is this boy? Is he just showing off? Can his plotting save Nihuang from a bear?  Whose side is he actually on?

Those are pretty much the main things to pay attention to in 3 and 4.

Seems like I am the single force of non-rewatchers right now and I STILL don't have anything important to say yet, as I am lost in the fog of not familiar names (fortunately I can memorize faces pretty quickly) and not so clear story, but it's just a beginning so I'm not supposed to know much yet, right? Or maybe I'm just dumb, who knows! But one thing Chinese dramas taught me is patience. And to not jump on conclusions too early on.

I’m curious about the kid’s background and his connection to the Prince Jing tho. And I enjoy the women from harem but I got a feeling things are gonna get ugly there.

I've read posts above concerning the way of storytelling  and I'm actually curious how I'm going to feel about it because the only worry I have right now is that the show may not be bingeable to me that way, hahaha.

toxicbybritneyspears:

Seems like I am the single force of non-rewatchers right now and I STILL don't have anything important to say yet, as I am lost in the fog of not familiar names (fortunately I can memorize faces pretty quickly) and not so clear story, but it's just a beginning so I'm not supposed to know much yet, right? Or maybe I'm just dumb, who knows! But one thing Chinese dramas taught me is patience. And to not jump on conclusions too early on.

I’m curious about the kid’s background and his connection to the Prince Jing tho. And I enjoy the women from harem but I got a feeling things are gonna get ugly there.

I've read posts above concerning the way of storytelling  and I'm actually curious how I'm going to feel about it because the only worry I have right now is that the show may not be bingeable to me that way, hahaha.

I'm also a non-rewatcher here haha :D 

The story gets clearer with the time though and as you said, you need patience when it comes to chinese historical dramas... Or historical dramas overall. 

My advice is, if you felt like you didn't understand what happened in the episodes, just read the episodes recaps here on MDL (or on the Internet), it'll be easier that way. And if you have trouble with remembering names and faces, just keep looking at cast or someone posted here all characters + pic of how they look in the drama. 

And for me, it's not that confusing at all (I'm on episode 22, don't mind me), the actual plot is very clear, it's just that they talk a lot about a lot of things lol 

Hello everyone! I hope you guys enjoy the show as much as I do hehe.

When I said the general plot is still blurry/unclear to me I meant that I know what's going on right now but I can only guess how it's going to escalate later and I still have to find out what the whole bigger picture is ( I guess it's  MCS' revenge). It's just too early for me to feel completely comfortable because I'm a good child and I've only seen 4 episodes lmao so it's still just a beginning and I know it's gonna take some time to develop the story.

Poia:
Being a logical person my brains goes mad until it can figure out the name / face of who they are talking.

Being a logical and impatient person*

If you have troubles remembering characters, just assign them some key words like Yujin - the funny man, Fei Liu - monkey boy etc. Or ask here.