Include Legal Links to View Content on a Film Page

This discussion has been closed.

If a film, short or series has a legal viewing system, ie, short films on Youtube or Vimeo, web series that are uploaded for free viewing by the official company, have an added feature on the films page such as "Watch: YouTube" where we can include the official link on the edits page and it takes you straight to the video to view rather than having to dig through sometimes hundreds of comments for the official YT/Vimeo/etc link

Also include links to a director's personal Vimeo, YT account, etc where they share their content for consumption 

Edit: also because its easy to forget to go to a page and add the official link to comments; goodness knows I've only done it for maybe 17% of the shorts I've added to the database and it can make browsing for a short film (in my example) much harder when there's 27 different potential links

84votes

This honestly makes me so happy; maybe now it's in suggestions as well, something might come around? Here's hoping [fingers crossed]

this would be so amazing - some korean channels are adding their older dramas on YT, thai web-dramas are on there (or on other accessible platforms) as well and same goes for popular chinese titles, but many people dont expect videos to be legally accessible for free on YT and pirate it anyways :l. this would be a great way to support those dramas easily

I 100% agree! It gives the companies ad revenue etc. Apparently a dynamic like this was already in place but hasn't gone forward so hopefully now people are voting for this maybe it'll go through. 

Also as a short film lover it's so stressful trying to figure out which out of the 36 results is the official one and it cuts down on the time I have to squeeze in a quick 7 minute watch, so it's also a lovely way to support independent creators whos only cash for their stuff is YouTube 

Hessa Volunteer Staff

Maybe you can ask Skye and he will add you to the spreadsheet so you can help add the link. I added a lot but having more people certainly would speed things.

I don't know when, but Skye said Ji-N would be adding those links in the future.

I'll PM him later today!

It's definitely a very interesting and useful feature not only for users but also for MDL. I know this idea is lurking around for a while, I don't know if, when and how those links will be added but I want to point out a little problem. 

Not every country have the same availability when it came to legal content. If we put links that are available only in some regions the risk is that we will have to deal with tons of questions from users who can't access the streaming. 

If it takes the user to the YouTube page, Vimeo page, etc, it should come up that it's not available, rather than like an embedded video page on the actual site, which would clear up questioning enough for them to know that it's YouTube/Vimeo/etc, not MDL, I should think

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 Poia:
Not every country have the same availability when it came to legal content. If we put links that are available only in some regions the risk is that we will have to deal with tons of questions from users who can't access the streaming. 

Most websites would show that it is restricted in their region.  They should be able to understand that and look for an alternative source if they want.

If they ask, we can easily reply to them.

Just want to add my voice and say I love this idea and would find it super useful.

OhSoEnthusiastic:

Just want to add my voice and say I love this idea and would find it super useful.

Thank you ^^ I'm glad I'm not the only one ;; 

This is something we're highly considering adding. 

Poia:

It's definitely a very interesting and useful feature not only for users but also for MDL. I know this idea is lurking around for a while, I don't know if, when and how those links will be added but I want to point out a little problem. 

That's the main dilemma of course but i'm confident we'll figure out a way for it to work.  

Skye-N-Rain:

This is something we're highly considering adding. 

That's the main dilemma of course but i'm confident we'll figure out a way for it to work.  

I said it already I think in the thread, but I feel like having it transfer the user to the actual site, ie YouTube, it should clarify that it's YouTube not MDL? 

etherealtaekibum:

Thank you ^^ I'm glad I'm not the only one ;; 

I love this idea too! Especially since there are a lot of web-dramas that are available on the websites and not on TV in the first place. Can't we implement more to the /watch/latest_episodes section? I saw some episodes from weTV there. Viki, Tencent, iQiYi, GMM TV, Netflix, HotPot , Hulu, Viu, Google Play, Line, GMA, iTunes ect all have official pages for dramas / movies, so it would be great to link those somewhere visible to at least show people where to legally find those titles. There are websites like comingsoon, mymovies and justwatch that help you find the official streaming services for some titles, but they mostly cover western ones. 

Yes this, Let's support legal.