• Last Online: Dec 23, 2018

amrita828

Italy
Friend, Our Legend
May 25, 2011
This is the first time ever I drop a drama because it is too good. It sounds like a paradox, so I'll do my best to clarify my reasons.

As I said, this is an amazing drama. It's based upon a true story, which explains why I find it hard to rate the plot. The way it is narrated is quite unique: it uses the technique of flash forwards, making the viewer aware from the very beginning of the destiny of basically each character. This style can be very confusing at the beginning, to the point viewers may think they are watching the wrong episode; once established, though, it becomes highly intriguing, and one of the strong points of this drama.

Instead of depriving the viewer of the thrill to know what's going to happen, this method excite the curiosity to find out HOW it happened, and why.

If there were a separate rate for direction and editing, I would give them both a 10 without hesitation.

The acting is stellar. I'd go as far as to say that it's more suitable to an essay movie than a television drama. As a matter of fact, this is by the same director of the 2001 movie.

The cast is so convincing and the acting so intense, one truly believes to be watching the real story, instead of a screen revisitation of it. Characters' changes are portrayed subtly and slowly, giving the viewer time to understand and empathize.

I found myself talking to the screen more than once, praying one or the other of the characters would not make that choice which, I knew, would change the course of their lives forever.

The music is poignant and moving. Combined with the beautiful photography and the outstanding acting, it brought me more than once to the brink of tears - and I don't cry easily, if ever.

So why did I drop it?

Because I was empathizing too much, and it pained me. By the middle I was so involved in this story I would feel restless and anxious. Mind you, the show has got many sweet, touching and funny moments. I just couldn't take all the emotions anymore.

It is my intention to go back to this drama in future, maybe after a strong dose of surreal/hilarious/ridiculous shows, like a camel storing water before a long journey.

Hence the very high re-watch value.

Duelist
Jul 17, 2011
In a word: beautiful.

Duelist is a painting in motion, where a lot is hinted and nothing is explained.

Some may lament the lack of a true plot, but on my part I believe a movie has different means of portraying a story than a book or a drama. It's based upon images, not necessarily on twists and events. Just like poetry is based upon the evocative power of words, not on facts.

And the direction used the cinematographic tools to its full potential in this movie.

I watched it with my mouth open. Beautiful screenplay, beautiful dance-like fights, beautiful just-hinted erotism.

Yes, the plot can be reduced to a 10 minutes narration. But so are a lot of theatre pieces, played upon style, movement, colour and photography.

Acting is wonderful, and so is the music. This is a ballet, after all.

Rewatch value is obviously high: I'll go back to it whenever I want to just sit and admire a beautiful, colour filled painting.

Secret Garden
Apr 10, 2011
I don't think I have ever written as much about a show as I have about Secret Garden.

I even managed to regain my composure after the initial excitement, let some time pass and cool down, in order to look at it with a less passionate, more objective stance. The result is, SG remains my all time favourite, a drama I have watched and rewatched and will watch again until the characters and the script will be integral part of my life - perhaps they already are.

The plot speaks fot itself. There is fun, romance, magic, tragic, twists and literary references. It flows without interruptions, making you laugh like crazy and cry like a baby, at times flooding you like high tide, but it never leaves one dry or unsatisfied: questions are answered, references fulfilled, all spiced up with a little magic.

The script is unique and brilliant. The funny lines are hilarious, the serious ones thought-provoking. Nothing about this script is either predictable or shallow, making the characters come to life and become realistic in a fantasy world.

Which inevitably leads me to the acting, which is outstanding. The main leads have to play the part of themeselves, then that of the other, then that of the other playing the part of themselves. Lesser actors would have screwed up, but Ha Ji Won and Hyun Bin both do a fantastic job, providing laughters in heaps and tears in the same amount. And their love story is just as beautiful as their chemistry on screen is sizzling.

The secondary characters are not mere supporters. They are all interesting, complex personalities who adds to the plot and the dynamic wonderfully.

The music is addicting, even for a K-pop ignorant as myself. Songs and lyrics are never chosen randomly but highlight and define the scenes they soundtrack.

I can't ask more of a drama. In fact, I doubt I'll find something to fully compensate for the end of this wonderful show.

Meteor Garden
Apr 30, 2011
You are probably asking yourself how I came up with an overall 7 after ranking all the rest so low.

Fact is, for once I've decided to write a review which is very personal and not at all objective. It's based upon the emotions it gave me, not the cinematographic quality of the drama.

Also, I think it's necessary to say that among the 3 versions of the same story, this was the last I watched, despite its being the first live-action based on the popular manga.

And while I consider the Japanese version the best one regarding acting and music and the Korean one better in terms of photography, colours and characterization, I'm ready to face criticism and admit that the Taiwanese version was the most satisfying to me on a romantic level.

The chemistry between Shan Cai and Dao Ming Si is what makes this into a worth watching show. For the first time, I was not rooting for the heroine to end up with the second lead, but for the main couple to finally be together. While watching hana Yori Dango and Boys Before Flowers I found myself constantly thinking: throw that arrogant brat away and choose Rui, or Ji Hoo!

You are allowed to laugh.

I ascribe this to the actors and the way their interactions were portrayed.

While Shan Cai can be annoying at times, she is a consistent character and once she finally realizes who she loves - it takes her some time - she is truly convincing. The same can be said about Dao Ming Si, whose candour as a besotted lover is quite endearing.

Therefore, although I recognize this show is pretty cheap when it comes to costumes, screenshots, photography and overall acting, I still have a fond memory of it and will probably rewatch it in the future.

Kagi no Kakatta Heya
Jul 23, 2012
A truly enjoyable serie, Kagi no Kakatta Heya is perfect for the Summer. It's episodic, which allows the viewer to watch one episode today and the next in a week without either forgetting the plot or severing any narrative thread. Should you decide to watch it, you can let your heart rest and only use your brain: this is a logic quiz, not a rollercoaster of emotions. The cases revolve around how the crime was committed: Who and Why are almost irrelevant.
It's perfect for a break from emotion-filled dramas, or for a weekly/daily 45 minutes of pure distraction.

As already pointed out by other reviewers, each episode is built upon a fix pattern, with a brief presentation of each locked-room case in which the improbable investigative trio gives us hints to solve the riddle. If you aren't a fan of serial doramas, you may find the repetition boring. Personally, now and then I like the familiarity created by schemes and patterns: it's... reassuring, and relaxing.

The actors do a great job. Sato Koichi's antics are hilarious, Ohno Satoshi's robotic ways surreal but very effective in creating a familiar character and yet leaving that trace of mystery which keeps the interest of the viewer alive. I'm partial to Toda Erika because every time I see her on screen she is different. This time it took me almost half an episode to truly recognize her; I once read that she's one of the few drama actresses, if not the only one, who is ready to act with no make-up at all. Her clothes are so discouraging it's evident she does not want to impress for her looks, but for her acting skills.

The editing of this show is original: it cuts scenes and music abruptly. In the beginning I thought it was a mistake by the segmenters, but I later realized it's a direction choice. While I wouldn't recommend this kind of style for every drama I watch, I think it works well here, where no room is left open for unnecessary detail and economy prevails over flowery narration.

The music is brilliant and works perfectly for the show. It combines some elements of the traditional detective/mystery serie a' la Ellery Queen with the contemporary pace and rhythm.

It can be rewatched, given some time has passed and you've forgotten
the intricacies of how the culprit did what (s)he did. I didn't mind the ending at all, I thought it was very much in line with the rest of the show. Suitable and therefore recommended to any type of viewer of every age.

Tsuki no Koibito
Aug 8, 2011
Tsuki No Koibito is the perfect example of a stellar cast totally wasted on a non-existent plot.
I watched it as soon as it finished airing, attracted by one of the best actors assembly I had come across in a long time. And true to their skills, they do an amazing job, given the luke-warm, inconsistent, shallow story they had to work with.
I understood none of the characters. Are they ambitious, serious, romantic, evil, malicious? No idea. They are all a mixture of those. Yes, in real life people are never clear-cut, but instead of coming out as imperfect human beings one can identify with, these characters appear like badly assembled patchwork quilts, behaving in a way one episode, the opposite way in the next.
The only character with a little consistency is Maemi, played by an impeccable Shinohara Ryoko.

Without spoiling the ending of the drama, suffice to know that it was so out of the blue, I could do nothing better than scratch my head in puzzlement.
What happened to that character? Why did that one act the way he did? What are they trying to say? What's the answer to that 4-coins quiz repeated to exhaustion?
All questions I found no answers to.

I can't remember the music. In these cases, I always end up giving it a non-committal 7. It certainly didn't blow me away.

What a pity.

Switch Girl!! 2
May 18, 2013
If someone had told me I would watch Switch Girl one day, I'd have laughed. This show is the most random thing I've ever watched, so full of absurdities and manga-like situations you either approach it with no intellectual expectations or you'll sue the production.

And yet, here I am writing a review for the 2nd season, after having marathoned through the first in one night and this one in the next.
The plot is full of cliches - from a narrative point of view, the 1st season was much better - with a little too much lingering on evil sex slave dealers laughing crazily and raising their malignant eyes to the skies. There have been moments I wished they would just go on with the plot (whatever that was), since the drama only has 4 hours time to tell it.

The force of this show is therefore not in the plot, but the characters. Nika, our heroine, is possibly the most adorable being in the northern emisphere. I simply love her. Not because I can rely, or because she's realistic, or because she's flawed but for a combination of those and an amazing ability to surprise me. I couldn't stop laughing at her antics, her sitting in the middle of a square crying about her pubic hair showing from under her underwear. The second after, I would empathize with her. Yes, she's a crazy character whom you can either love or hate, but not ignore.

Arata is the silent hero every girl dreams of, and the chemistry between these two is quite striking if you think this drama is romantic despite having no such ambition.
All the side characters are insane and some deliciosuly hilarious. The villains, on the other hand, are so stereotyped they are forgotten the moment they are out of the screen.

Music is nothing special in this one, while I thought it was quite well chosen in the 1st season.

All in all, I am ready to recommend this drama to:
1. clever people who have put their brains in the fridge for some time to recharge it and don't want to use it for a while
2. fans of Renn Kiriyama (someone has called my name?) and/or Nishiuchi Mariya
3. girls who want to learn what to avoid before a romantic evening with their boyfriend, such as wild hair removal or litres of aphrodisiac perfume
4. lovers of manga-like, over the top comedy

If you're one of the above, enjoy your watch!

Sapuri
Apr 4, 2012
I don't know why this drama hasn't got more fans. Personally, I thought it was very well acted, modern, with a lovely photography and enough romance to satisfy the romantics among us.

The plot is neither shallow nor particularly predictable. Until the end, the viewer does not know if the romance between the leads will have a future or not, because apart from the age difference - which isn't that big anyway - there are other, more important obstacles: opposite stances towards work and life in general, different social status, dissimilar goals. The good aspect of this love story based upon differences is that both learn one from the other. It's not the dramatic change of one of them overnight, in the name of love or another equally unrealistic reason.
The best part of the plot lies in the dialogues, though. They are clever, at times hilarious, at others quite deep. I loved learning of the process behind the creation of an advertisement, and why those people are often referred to as "the creatives".

The acting was very good, although I must admit at not having been swept away by Itoh Misaki's performance. There were times when she felt wooden and unconvincing. This lowers my acting mark to an 8, which would have been otherwise flawless, since everybody else did a great job, including Kame.

The music isn't my favourite, but it was chosen with great sense and is very fitting with the story told and the setting.

The photography deserves a mention too: there are some beautiful screen shots throughout this show. I can still see them with my mind's eyes today, more than 4 years after I've watched the drama. They are meant to create a visual pattern, parallel images which create a nice contrast between the incompatibility of the two main leads in the world of words, and the harmony between them on a more emotional level.

I will rewatch it. It gave me an energy shot at the time, therefore I keep it for future need of the same.

Koishite Akuma
Apr 25, 2011
From what I've read around the web, this dorama didn't meet with a big success. I think the main reason is that it attracted the lovers of vampire stories but it didn't deal with vampirism in the traditional sense of the word. It defeated its own object.

On the other hand, for someone like me who is only mildly interested in vampires and the whole sarg-sleeping, cross-shunning, blood-sucking process, this drama was a lot more enjoyable than I had expected.

I liked the way the issue was approached, presenting the vampires as a decadent, declining, arrogant race who watches the humans with a mixture of desire and deep distaste, boarding on disgust.

It makes it all the more touching when the cards are turned on the table and the one who thought himself superior is treated with contempt for his being different, a "monster".

I confess at being invariably deeply affected by the issue "difference", and how people treat those who don't conform to the norm, either for their skin colour, their beliefs or lack thereof, their behaviour, their look. There are a couple of scenes in this dorama which are still vivid in my memory because they were intensely moving. They made me think once again of how cruel people can be when they ignore and how easy it is to be judged abnormal.

So, although the acting is far from stellar and the plot at times inconsistent, I do believe this show deserves more attention than what it got.

Boku to Star no 99 Nichi
Apr 5, 2012
There isn't much that I can add to what has already been expressed in other reviews here: the plot isn't new, nor unpredictable, the acting is good albeit a little over the lines, the dialogues are witty but definitely not deep, the music is fine enough. On a mere objective level, this drama is decent.

And yet, I loved it! I marathoned through it in a couple of days, and enjoyed every episode. I laughed, smiled, grinned. One may object that a drama is either good and to our liking, or it isn't. But the reasons why I like watching something aren't always as clear-cut and defined as I would like to think: I can remain cold in front of a masterpiece, and be enthusiastic of a piece of trinkets.
Hence my tepid marks, which reflect what I hope is an unbiased estimation, not the degree of my liking it.

Fact is, I truly loved the characters. Kohei, the bodyguard played by Nishijima Hidetoshi, is incredibly endearing. I had never seen this actor on screen before and at first sight I thought he was the complete opposite of an eye-candy. But his character is so sweet and lovable, I ended up liking him a lot. Kim Tae Hee, whom I could barely tolerate in My Princess, is adorable here, contributing factor the Japanese language, which renders her voice deeper and more pleasant.
The great actor Takanabe is hilarious. He seems vain and utterly stupid, but we soon discover he hides his own complex, and from that moment on, I dare everyone not to root for him, if not as a lover, at least as a friend and professional actor.
All the other characters do a good job, including Taecyeon, who surprised me with his very good Japanese. The bad guys aren't given enough screen time to get on our nerves.

The music is fine, mostly in the second half of the drama.

Surprisingly, I think I'll rewatch this drama one day. It was a perky watch, which I recommend to whomever is in need of something light, funny, romantic without being melodramatic or mushy.

Apr 1, 2012
The thing I appreciate the most about Japanese shows in general, is that they can tell a good story without much of an eventful plot to build it upon. They play with narrative style and they excel in delicacy.

I'm not implying Saikou no Jinsei has got no plot, but it's not the kind one would run to watch and sit through with bathed breath. This is the story of a family, of their little and big trials. But most of all it tells of what it means to shoulder responsibility for the people we care for.
I may just as well confess that I started this because I wanted to stare at Yamapi. He's a pleasure for the eye in general, but there's a tangible improvement in his acting skill too. I grew very fond of him and all the main characters. I like it when details and hints are rationed slowly, because that's what happens in real life too: we are presented with a family picture, and bit by bit we are offered glimpses of who they are and where they are going.

The whole cast did a brilliant job, and I found myself with moisture in my eyes more than once. I was impressed by Yamashita's ability to convey his feelings here, and I was entertained by his relationship with both his family and Yuki-chan. It also amazes me that I managed to laugh a lot more often than what is expected by the general atmosphere.

I didn't like the music at all. Not only it isn't my cup of tea, I also thought it was very unfitting now and then. Luckily though, it does not overpower the dialogues or the scenes, and it can therefore be overlooked.

Rewatch value is not too high, but if you like family dramas and touching plots, you may give this one a try.

BOSS
Aug 16, 2011
This drama was recommended to me by a "kindred spirit" and now I'm wondering why I haven't watched it any sooner.

I was captivated on minute 1 and enjoyed the whole ride till the very last.

The true strength of this show lies in the characterization. I love the speedy way in which each character is introduced, without unnecessary premises: the viewer is immediately catapulted into the birth of this new police division and the methods which are going to be used by the team to solve each case.

The staff members come to life so swiftly and clearly, I was eager to see the next episode just in order to hear them interact with each other. They are hilarious, over the line like any true Japanese character and yet so believable and endearing.

And then there is their BOSS. Yuki Amami is a wonder here. She's determined, beautiful, self-ironic, tremendously intelligent. The kind of woman I'd like to be at forty - honestly, if I could only look like her at 44 I'd be the happiest woman on earth.

Her character is a riot and a model of what I call class.

This is an episode drama, therefore it can be viewed either in one raw or taking time between one episode and the next. I did a marathon because each case left me wanting for more, but there isn't a main sub-plot which requires steadfastness.

I liked the music too: it isn't an unforgettable original soundtrack, but it highlights the scenes with due pathos.

If you're looking for a clever detective story, with some profiling/psychology, lovable, funny characters and intriguing crimes, watch this.

Pinocchio
Jan 17, 2015
I find it impossible to write a review of this drama without comparing it to I Hear Your Voice. After all, like others before me pointed out, Pinocchio comes out of the same pen, same cameras, same musical instruments and even part of the same cast that created I Hear Your Voice. I couldn't get rid of the impression I was watching a remake of this last, just with a different setting and a male protagonist who can't read the mind.

Pinocchio's story is intriguing, very captivating, well written and highly thought-provoking. It's also very well executed, in terms of acting, camera work and plot development. I enjoyed all episodes and was eager to watch the next.
So why have I given I Hear Your Voice a full 10, and bestowed this one a "mere" 8,5?
In rating a drama I always try to be as objective as I can be - try being the key word. A show that awakens the intellect deserves high scores, but it's the emotional share which earns it a perfect score. I was intellectually very engaged by Pinocchio, but I felt slightly detached when it came to the heart. Among other things, the romance didn't make my heart flutter, not even once. Honestly, I can't even pinpoint a reason for this: Park Shin Hye and Lee Jong Suk are both beautiful, very sweet in a puppy-like way, their respective characters lovable and their love story believable. And yet, it seems to me it lacked romantic tension, it was like watching two cute people in a commercial for shoes, or coats.
The moment they stopped being on screen, in my mind they also stopped being a couple.
On the contrary, I think Hye Song and Soo Ha are still dating, overcoming their differences and being happy together. I could mention many other drama couples that, to me, are still a reality somewhere in that evanescent world created by fantasy and therefore linger in my heart. Dal Po and In Ha are not among them.

Nobody's fault, mind you. The acting of all was above average and I was positively impressed by Park Shin Hye's performance. It must not be easy to interrupt every other sentence with a hiccup and make it sound believable. Her character isn't a champion of resolution, but she's very sweet and I liked her a lot. Lee Jong Suk is clearly a rising star in the drama world and can play this kind of role better and better. I loved the supporting cast, villain(s) included.

The music didn't make much of an impact on me either.

To explain my re-watch score, I'm going to confess a weak spot of mine: when a particular scene has a strong impact on me, I can't help but watch it again as soon as the episode is over. I haven't done so with any of Pinocchio's scenes. I may re-watch the entire show one day, but for now this ride, as much as it was enjoyable, is over.

Strawberry Night
Apr 11, 2012
Before writing a review for this drama, I needed time to cool down a little. Not only I am a fan of dark detective stories, I also love Takeuchi Yuko to pieces. Both premises may have biased my judgment of the show itself.

This drama starts in the very middle of things. Unless you have watched the 2010 special - which I haven't yet - you won't see any introductions, neither of the characters, nor of the setting. You are thrust into the first crime and given brief flashes of the characters' past, pieces of a puzzle you'll only complete by the end, and not in full. It's realistic, harsh and frustrating, but it worms its way into the viewer's interest in a very subtle, gradual way, until you come to the end and wish there were another entire season to watch at once.
The cases brought me more than once to the brink of tears. They are desperate and intense, involving such human characters I couldn't remain detached even if I wanted to.

The cast is downright brilliant. My favourite Takeuchi did not disappoint me. Her character's very complex, with a perpetually seething anger as palpable and incomprehensible at the beginning as it is understandable once her past is slowly revealed. I have a weakness for characters who are incapable of expressing their feelings, because when they finally let the slightest glimpse of vulnerability surface it's so much more intense and heart wrenching.
Which inevitably leads me to her loyal subordinate Kikuta, portrayed by an impeccable Nishijima Hidetoshi. He reads her without fail, and I love that his evident attraction to her originates from his admiration for her skills rather than a simple man/woman dynamic.
Some of the characters are downright irritating. The police director - whose role is quite a mystery to me - is so obtuse the sole purpose of his existence seems to be to provoke his detectives' reaction. While it works on a dramatic level, I hope such individuals do not exist in real police departments, or I'd give up on the Japanese justice entirely, mostly if he's paired with the older corrupt detective whom I wanted to punch in the face.
Good or bad, none of these characters left me unmoved, proof of their outstanding job here.

I loved the music: well chosen, well used, well balanced.

Re-watch value is very high, because at first viewing I found some details hard to follow, mainly because of the fast delivered lines and the unusual way the crimes unfold. Most of all, though, I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms regarding the characters and am looking forward to a continuation. I'd vote for a second season in no time.

Hungry!
Apr 10, 2012
What a delicious drama. Literally.
It left me hungry for more of these adorable characters, and made me hungry for mouth watering food while watching. In short, the title says it all.

The pairing food=hunger may seem obvious, but there's much more to it than what meets the eye. I love the food philosophy as it is portrayed here, because almost each character is defined by his or her way to interact with food. For some it is a simple nourishment, for others, a vehicle to express themselves, the means to capture someone's heart, to force out a smile or the way to forget a childhood of privation.
I was more than once reminded of "Ratatuille", the disney animation film, and the moment in which the merciless food critic savours a bite of ratatuille and is immediately catapulted back to his childhood and the memory of his mother's love.
Food really has the power to stir up memories and rouse imagination.

I came to love all the characters and was impressed by the performance of the entire cast. Granted, Takimoto Miori is basically playing Mio from Ikemen desu ne all over again, but as somebody else wrote before me, she's so adorable I'm ready to forgive her for being still an unripe actress. Osamu Mukai is spot on, and I particularly enjoyed him when he would start talking like a dockworker, rolling his "rrr" and using foul language. But my favourite character is without a doubt Taku with his absent-minded ways and his infectious smile. Their friendship and ties are a pleasure to watch: hilarious, sincere, believable.

The music is great. Every piece fits the scene to perfection without ever overpowering it.

There's much more to say about this drama, but I believe it has to be... eaten, instead of read about. Re-watch value is very high because once you've tasted something good, you definitely want to eat it again, sooner or later.
I may just add that this is a further evidence that reviews and recommendations can be truly useful: I watched hungry! because I trust the opinion of other reviewers here and I'm very glad I did.