Love in the Moonlight (2016)

amrita828
Mar 24, 2017
So, what have I just watched?
In a nutshell, a saeguk for kids. Take a Disney film, split it into several episodes, dress the characters in hanboks and you have this drama. It mimics The Moon embracing the Sun - without ever nearing its intriguing plot or romance - in almost every aspect except for the detail of a girl dressed as a man despite the fact that she could never in read more a trillion years be mistaken for a man. To keep the parallel, we could say this is a fluffy rom-com dressed up as a Saeguk.

The romance is so cheesy I welcomed the politics with a sigh of relief. Everything happens too soon and... too much, depriving my otherwise romantic heart of the needed suspense and, yes, what I consider a must for romance: trepidation. I can't say I am an expert in historical dramas, but the little I know is that almost everything the two main characters do and say here is totally implausible: stroll hand in hand in the palace courts without anyone seeing them? Right. This is just one example out of dozens unlikely - no, impossible - situations. Unlike other reviewers here, I believe the second half of this drama to be a lot better than the first, with at least some plot developments, albeit rushed, at times.

The real saving grace of the show is Park Bo Goum. He clearly is talented and a pleasure to watch. His character is too good to be true, but well played out and multifaceted. On the other hand, I was a little disappointed in Kim Yoo Jung's performance. I know she's very young and has a lot of potential, but she didn't manage to make me feel a thing. By some camera angles, it was clear she wasn't looking at her partner when supposed to do so, and the result was kind of ridiculous. Her character is neither particularly brave, nor very strong or intelligent, so what's left in the end is a super nice crown prince who falls madly in love with a sweet pretty thing because she's a sweet pretty thing. I even came to prefer the appointed crown princess, she was refreshingly spunky.

The music is a collection of pop songs fit for everything and nothing. See above for the age target.

In conclusion, this drama had some real potential, even when the plot twists are predictable, but the final package is fluffy at best. Can be marathoned through for an overdose of lovey-dovey chirping.
moniqueevilla
Oct 18, 2016
What a drama! This k-drama completely took me in for a ride and I genuinely loved every second of it.

To start off, this drama initially began as your basic gender bender. Typical. However, as you find yourself deeper into this drama you find underlying in that plot is so much more. There is a balance between your heart fluttering moments of pure fluff, moments that will make you laugh and the read more absolutely heart-wrenching moments-- this balance continuously plays with the viewers' heart, and it's exactly what keeps them wanting more. Since it was a romance historical drama, there was plenty of political elements to follow along with as well. I myself am a huge sucker for historical dramas, so naturally I found that this particular plot wasn't that hard to follow along with. But for someone who doesn't find much interest for them, they play a huuuuge role in the plot development - so I probably wouldn't recommend it.

The only portion I had dissatisfactions with was with how the story carried out towards the end of the drama. It dragged on for a little bit and then at the very last episodes everything felt very rushed to tie all the loose ends. There were a couple story arcs that they could have expanded on a little more which was disappointing. If they had cut the filler episodes a little short and was a little more detailed in the ending, it would've been absolutely flawless as a drama. But overall, the story was nothing short of amazing.

The general performance of the whole cast was exemplary, having both a reputation for their acting and endless eye candy! I even found myself becoming a Park Bo Gum fan in the process.

For starters, Kim Yoo Jung never fails expectation, upholding her crown as one of the best upcoming actresses with yet another hit drama to her lengthy list of filmography. Her character Ra On is a charming, optimistic and extremely outgoing. As having one of the more complex back stories in the drama, there were a few plot holes dealing with her family but nonetheless, it was carried out very well.

Park Bo Gum's presentation of the crown prince Lee Young was all in all praise worthy. I didn't feel much awkwardness from him even though he isn't nearly as experienced with historical dramas in contrast to his cast members. His tone, stance and relaying of emotions (his eyes I swoon every time), were executed in a manner that truly brought his character Lee Young to life. Not to mention, he suited the hanbok extremely well (and was very good looking in it). Although he was one of the more dull character archetypes, it was still entertaining to watch him grow from a childish troublemaker to a mature and refined crown prince.

The romance between the two was also lovely to the eyes, and although there is a bit of an age gap I didn't feel it as the chemistry between Bo Gum and Yoo Jung strongly made up for it. Although the romance did over shine the development of the friendship plot.

I definitely wish they would have shone a bit more light on the other characters Byung Yun and Yoon Sung. There was a lot of potential that the writer could of utilized to enhance the plot. These two character archetypes were definitely more on the complex side and it would've been really interesting to see more of their development and more of their story all in all.

The music in this drama was definitely really lovely to the ears, nothing really too special but they did include an OST by Park Bo Gum himself which was definitely a treat.

Another thing that I would like to make note on is the cinematography. I absolutely adooooore when producers pay respect to these aspects and I was taken by surprise at how stunning some scenes were. From the first episode until the very last, it was extremely extremely beautiful.

On the whole, this drama was definitely an exceptional coming of age drama deserving of all the hype and you should definitely give it a chance.
jellybine
Oct 18, 2016
First, I have a confession to make. I have a problem with watching dramas with the same genre being aired one after the other (i.e. Hyde, Jekell, and Me and KMHM, Blood and Scholar Who Walks..). I usually end up dropping one of the two but this time I held on to both, causing me to sacrifice the level of attention I gave to this drama. And here's all the mix of read more what I love and not about the drama...

We've seen this story of a cross-dresser female lead stealing the heart of our hero but this time, the story had a more youthful vibe. I am a self-confessed Bogummy fan and I must say that I totally love him. After having him as Taek (in Reply 1988), I forgot how awesome an actor he was for all the diverse roles he had play. Having him as Lee Young is one of the best things that could ever happen. I love him as a mischievous prince who knows how to play his happy-go-lucky image to protect the most coveted throne against the evil forces. All kinds of emotions and definitely his portrayal of this role has undeniably the cause of the so-called "Park Bo-gum effect."

Kim Yoo-jung is definitely a very fine actress in the making. She is so adorable as a girl acting as a eunuch of a prince and as a love guru before she entered the palace. She's the prettiest in sageuks and I wish I could have seen her dress more as a girl. Bo-gum and Yoo-jung has good chemistry between them.

I don't find this drama perfect (despite my love for Bogummy) and there are certain things that I don't like about it. I am not a die-hard fan of sageuks and I find it difficult to care about the political aspects of the story and who knows if I overlooked anything. It's not that I only watched Bo-gum's scenes, it's just that I paid extra less attention to scenes where the dirty politics comes in. I had to bear with this for sake of plot development. Haha. This also means how effective Premier Kim and the other officials as the villain in this story because I am totally pissed off with them.

The thing that I think that this drama should regret is not utilizing Chae Soo-bin's role as Jo Ha-yeon well. Where else can you get a second lead that is smart, honest, and loyal as her? I love her character and I just wish she had more story written for her because her character deserves more than this.

I also felt cheated that I lost the bromance between Lee Young and Byung Yun early on in the story to give way to more romance between the Crown Prince and Ra On. It’s I felt that we spent too much time on how sweet the main lead is to each other that the second leads already lost their chance before they even tried. Well at least Yoon—sung has a lot of part in the whole story.

The beginning part of this drama is what really captivated me - Lee Young's antics as a troublemaker and his interactions with Hong Sam Nom and Byung Yun are the best for me. That felt like the glory days of the drama, and I'm not sure if it's about the extension, but it really became a stretch during the later parts of the drama. Though, in my opinion, the drama redeemed itself in the last two hours of its run.

To the drama's credit, it has its strong points since most the most of its run, I didn't feel cheated of the happiness and (sometimes) loneliness of the characters. The writer knows just how long is enough for us to feel the obstacle that the main lead is facing and when to resolve and wrap things up nicely. Every week feels like I'm having a fight with somebody and making sure that you don't sleep angry with each other. The scenes are well-directed and edited that everything about the drama goes together real well.

This drama has a very good collection of OST and having Park Bo-gum sing one is totally love, love. love.

Overall, the drama is adorable and cute mainly due to the cast, very well thought of in terms of the flow of the plot (most of the time), acted well from all of the characters. I kind of have a lot of complaints but its mainly because of the limited bromance I got and neglecting the second lead who could have done more. For all this, I still think that the drama deserves the love it's receiving. By the time ended, I have butterflies in my stomach, flowers around me, and a lot of hearts in my eyes. It was beautiful drama. Indeed, beautiful.
lady
Jan 6, 2017
It was really good in its first episodes, but the storyline was getting dull and boring as it continues.
12 episodes is more than enough for the story

I am stuck at episode 15 and can't continue it -_-

I guess people who watch the full drama and rate it high probably like the male and female lead actors, well I do also, but it is just hard to finish the last three episodes
purplenette
Nov 19, 2016
LITM is a drama that has been done so many times. The story is unoriginal and a little boring. At first I felt it was okay with the cute bromance and romance, but then politics take over and blah. Oh and I forgot to mention I am not a fan of gender/bender roles. There were a few emotional moments that I felt the characters were developed well. Actually, the only reason why read more I finished this drama is because of the acting.

Kim Yoo Jung is a beautiful person. Her soul just shines through her eyes. The problem is no one in a million years would believe that Hong Ra On is a boy. Just no way. I thought Park Bo Gum was highly overrated as an actor, but he was good in this. All and I mean all of the other actors are good too.

The music is fine.

I will never rewatch this.

If you like gender/bender seaguk, then watch sungkyunkwan scandal. It is a much better drama.
DiosaUnica96
Oct 19, 2016
It has been since Healer that I hadn't a real on air drama with I was obsessed, yeah there was many amazing drama, better than this, but this one was so simply and magical.

Story: 8
The story wasn't really great, in Historical Dramas they are more complicated, but this one was was like read a Fairy tail, or a Japanese manga. It was magical, and made me dream like a baby. read more The couple story was totally my style: a secret "impossible" love. Totally my style. The story wasn't so complicated, there was just a few of questions, but they give a response to all them, so I'm happy that there wasn't holes.

Acting/Cast: 10. Amazing cast and amazing characters. I think that rarely I end up a drama loving everyone, second lead girl too. Everyone was really fit for its own character.
- Park Bo Gum was charming, and his facial expression was pure gold... he can tell so many things with only the eyes. He reminds me so much Song Joong Ki, another actor that I love. His character is one of the best of all time, expecially since he never become weak, he's always ready to fight with his smart brain.
- Kim Yoo Jung has always been an amazing actress, but in this one she totally sparkled. Her first true main role in a k-drama, and she did an amazing job. Her character wasn't annoying like usual main girls, she was just a cute puppy
- Jung Jin Young: even if I loved him in his previous dramas, I wasn't sure to see him in this drama. I mean, it's an historical drama, why put an Idol, but he proved that Kim Yoon Sung role was perfect only for him, doing an amazing job. I loved his character.
- Chae Soo Bin, I'm a little sad to see just so few of scenes with her, she was so sweet, I thought I would hated her, but she was so kind a weak, not an evil girl, but just a girl in love who wanna be a support for her love ones. If she was the main girl in another show I surely rooted for her.
- Kwak Dong Yeon, the Guard that stoled everyone's hearts. Even if he's really cute, in this drama he was really mature and reliable, with his mysterious aurea. I really loved him.

Music: 10
This drama's music was really beautiful, from its instrumental ones to Misty roads, Because I miss you, My dearest, Fondly Goodbye, Love is over, Love that shines like a star and more...

Rewatch: 9
Even If I usually don't rewatch dramas, I could re-watch this one.

Overall: 9.5 I usually give 9 or 8 to this kind of drama for the story, but I really loved this one so I'll give more.
manicmuse
Oct 23, 2016
I really loved this drama in the beginning, and thought the story was great throughout, so maybe it's Sageuk overload that made me not fall completely in love with "Love in the Moonlight/Moonlight Drawn by Clouds" (this is my first time watching 2 Sageuks at once). This drama isn't exactly innovative... we have leading lady cleverly disguised as a eunich, a love triangle including friends turned rivals, political greed, betrayal in the read more kingdom, and a young prince who must learn what it takes to become a great king... it's literally all been done before, but the cast brings this particular story to life in a way that stops the story from feeling too cliché. It did lose much of it's early appeal in the later episodes, switching it's focus from romance, to palace politics, which made me less eager to watch the next episode. Even so, I can't find much that is wrong with this drama. I think it's just a matter of genre preference, and how much you've fallen in love with the cast.

I think the entire cast was excellent. Park Bo Gum is perfect. He is completely charming as the young Crown Prince. I totally fell for his smirk, and truly empathized with his struggle to become a true leader within a corrupt system. He is matched with Kim Yoo Jung, who I was very impressed with. Usually underage romantic lead actresses seem so obviously out of place to me, but she was a formidable leading lady, and the age gap wasn't so big. Beyond pulling off the gender-bender trope pretty well, she was also very believable expressing the range of emotions Ra On had to go through. They had an extremely cute chemistry, and seemed to be generally falling for each other. They are definitely the MVPs of this drama.

Aside from the main couple, there are two young actors who also deserve praise, Kwak Dong Yeon and Jung Jin Young. Byung Yeon was so [email protected], and although a man of few words, his was the only character that made me actually cry. Jung Jin Young as Yoon Sung is the perfect second lead. I didn't exactly have second lead syndrome, but I came close a few times. The friendship dynamic between all four is complicated, which makes it even more interesting. Nothing is what it appears to be at face value, and that's the kind of storytelling I think this drama did well.

There are too many great minor characters to mention them all. I honestly can't think of a single weak link. The villains are extra villainous, and some of the more comedic characters are completely silly, but they all felt real, and not just included to fill up space and time.

This story is more complicated than it initially appears to be, so it's not as if I was ever really bored, but I still wish that the second half of the drama didn't lose all of the fun the initial episodes had. At the same time, it makes total sense to the story that it was told exactly the way it was, so maybe I was just in the mood to watch something lighter. I'm really trying hard to find something solid to complain about, but the music... the direction... the amount of episodes... it all worked well. Some aspects may have been a bit repetitive, which was frustrating at times, but that frustration served to motivate the Crown Prince, so I think it was necessary. It isn't exactly filled with epic twists either, which makes it not extremely exciting at times, but also not unnecessarily complicated.

Would I watch this again? Sure. I also wonder if being in the right mood to watch this kind of story would make me like it more. I also liked that it all ended with no loose ends, which made watching the whole thing more satisfying. Even the title is explained, which was a nice touch.

Overall, this is a great addition to the pantheon of guy-falls-for-girl-pretending-to-be-a-guy dramas. Lovers of historical romantic dramas should definitely watch. Romance fans should make sure they are ready to watch something that isn't lighthearted. I also think it's a great vehicle for some impressive young talent. I look forward to seeing what's next for them.
cassey
Oct 28, 2016
Gurumi is a fairy tale. There's the dashing Prince Charming in Crown Prince Lee Yeong, who has to be the swooniest kdrama male lead character ever. Park Bo Gum has always been amazing, but he is simply epic here. Ra On is the poor Cinderella girl with a heart of gold, which made a Kim Yoo Jung fan out of me. There's the evil wizard and the evil queen with the Kims. read more Fairy godmother in second lead heartbreaker Yoon Sung. So if you love a dreamy romance with all the feels amidst breathtaking scenes give it a try. First half of the drama was utterly magical, though some momentum was lost on the second half because it tackled more politics. In its heart, this drama is essentially a feel-good tale about a coming-of-age story of a young prince you'll hopelessly fall for.
Richel
Oct 19, 2016
For me, the title of this show should be more like “Love and Hate in the Moonlight.” Because those are my feelings towards it - incredibly mixed and indecisive.

When Love in the Moonlight first hit my drama radar, everything about it put me off. The promo posters just radiated cheesiness, so much so that I’m pretty sure I internally gagged. Not to mention, everything about its premise was overdone and oftentimes read more badly so. The crossdressing girl, the handsome prince, the political intrigue mixed somewhere in there...Was it worth the risk of watching and likely being disappointed?

The thing about Love in the Moonlight is that it is definitely a good show. Well, partially. It suffers from what I like to call “K-drama syndrome,” where it starts off at its peak and then plunges down into its inevitable doom, where the plot and characters deteriorate in a cesspool of their previously glorious existences. It's exactly as revolting to us viewers as it sounds.

The storyline of Love in the Moonlight is incredibly unoriginal. Its desire to take on the tropes of a crossdressing female who falls in love with a higher-class man was quite impressive, and for a good half of the drama, the execution was phenomenal. I found myself practically twitching while I waited to watch the next episode upon release.

There’s something about cliches done well that’s just as appealing as a never-before-seen storyline, and that’s what Love in the Moonlight accomplished. Its cheesy romance was bolstered by a talented leading couple, and its political aspect was intelligent, yet not overly difficult to follow. Not to mention, the characters were all lovable, each with their defining characteristics that made you love to see them. I admired the drama's ability to make the usually predictable storyline both unpredictable and addicting, and making me take back all my doubts from the beginning. Touche, writers; but that victory only lasts for a little while.

The problem with Love in the Moonlight is that as time goes on, you begin to see the infection of K-drama syndrome more and more. I'll admit, the writers keep you on your toes enough so that you barely even notice the problems unless you take a glance backward. But holy cheese, did this show throw away its potential at being perfect.

The romance is great, that much I will stand by. However, I attribute that much more to the capabilities of the leading actors than the characters themselves. I adored the Crown Prince at the beginning, and I likewise appreciated Ra On’s quirkiness. But over time, the writers lost sight of what made these characters unique and reduced them down to “male lead” and “female lead.” I don't even want to talk about the atrocities of the side characters, particularly Ha Yeon, who faded further and further into the background. It got to the point where she would come on screen and my reaction would be, "who is dis," because she had become that irrelevant. I’ve seen static characters, but I was puzzled with how the ones in Love in the Moonlight somehow managed to all move backward in development - their quirks disappeared. To me, there was nothing sadder than the moment I admitted to myself that the only reason I still liked the Crown Prince was because of Park Bo Gum.

Additionally, I have to say that the writers really lost themselves nearing the end of this show. It was cliche in the beginning, but at least they carried it out well. By the end, they were throwing so many tropes in your face that it almost bruised me. Most of which, I didn’t appreciate at all. There’s a difference between using previously-seen plot elements to better a show, and using them just because there is a need to. By resorting to the latter, the writers failed what could have been an absolute gorgeous ending.

For me, the one trump card of this drama was the cast, and this is the one basis I will recommend this drama off of. I sat down in front of the first episode knowing no one out of the main cast aside from Kim Yoo Jung, who I sneered at for being far too young for her role. By the end, I was impressed with everyone’s ability to portray their respective roles.

Park Bo Gum is phenomenal. He’s obviously goodlooking (those puppy-dog eyes though hehehehe), but the level of emotion he puts into every line and movement is awe-inspiring. Everything about his acting feels real, from the look in his eyes and - I swear - each shift of his facial muscles. He brings the Crown Prince to life in a way that I’ve honestly never seen another actor do with their character. And now I have posters of him on my walls. I wish this were a joke, but I guess I’m prouder to say that it’s not - he was just that good.

Yoo Jung is where I’m split. There’s no doubt she’s talented, but I’ll still enforce the idea that she was too young for the lead role in a romance drama. If you’re going to forget how weird it is morally that 23-year-old Bo Gum is interacting romantically with a minor, just know that her acting was far better in scenes where there wasn’t any handholding and whatnot. I’ll give it to her that she tried, and did well alongside Bo Gum, but she still needs more experience to pair with that acting talent. Soon enough, she’ll have a scary level of skill.

I would also like to comment on the music, most of which I loved. They chose a good collection of strong singers for it, and the instrumentals were beautiful (I listen to some of them when I work now because they’re that entrancing). I am going to go out on a limb here though, and say that the song they gave to Park Bo Gum was subpar. I know he’s capable of better music, and I just wish that they provided him the chance to blind us even more with his unlimited talent.

I’d say that Love in the Moonlight is worth the watch, if only to see how the actors are able to bring quality to a usually mundane plot. Despite the bits of disappointment I felt at the ending, I am still glad that I watched the whole thing through and I can say that I enjoyed myself for the most part.
Melakward
Nov 9, 2016
Why I watched it: Bo Gum AND Jinyoung? One or the other would have made this a must-see, but both? No brainer.

Was it worth it: Is there a word stronger than “absolutely?”

What I liked the most: For a Sageuk (period drama), it was very “loose.” You know how that type of drama tends to be very deathly serious? Not so much for this one. I loved the relaxed atmosphere.

What read more I disliked the most: Though it tried to fight it, the politics creeped their way in towards the end.

Moment Meter: 8/10 – Wholly satisfying.

Other thoughts: I’ve had my eye on Bo Gum for a while and he’s officially on “the list” now, so I will officially be watching every drama he’s in (past and present). Jinyoung is also a big bias-wrecker for me and I was torn between the fact that he did very well (which will probably result in more fans) and the fact that I am very selfish and want him all to myself (meaning I don't want him to have any more fans). :-\

Note: Certain actors will automatically make the drama better (for me), so the rest of the review will be biased. It can’t be helped. Consider yourself warned.

The beginning was extremely satisfying. All of the situations and the cavalier atmosphere made it incredibly watchable. The politics that ALWAYS afflict Sageuks kicked in a bit toward the end, but they did well to have the politics fuel the personal story rather than the personal story fueling the politics. Jinyoung got to play the cool guy, much to my delight. Bo Gum did an amazing job. Kim Yoo Jung also did a great job, though (as typical for this type of female role) as time progressed, her somewhat outspoken character had very few words to say when things ramped up. It helps to have a little experience with Korean period dramas to get into the flow right away. The pacing was consistent and kept my attention.

Conclusion: A very easy to watch Sageuk. It was a bit overshadowed by all of the other dramas out at this time, which is a shame because I thought this drama was above average; bordering on excellent. I loved it.
belbeii
Apr 14, 2017
This drama is the class female cross dressing as a male to hide from people. Now despite the funny cross dressing, Kim Yoo Jung does the most wonderful job at playing Ra On! The classic tsundere char imo. Her facial expressions, the way she crys. EVERYTHING iwugqkjb. She is great guys.

So about the STORY!!!! Park Bo-gum's char is.. well.. very.. CHEESY. In a CUTE WAY. UGH his char is soooooo CHEESY read more with love. It's so adorable and cute and MY HEART qwjlkbg. HE is perfect. I have never seen a Crown Prince so dreamy. He was able to tug my heart along with him for 18 episodes. I find it so rare that I get to see a drama where the lead male is so cute and cuddly. This alone makes the drama 100% MUST WATCHHHH.

I love how in this drama the princess actually starts out as a "bigger" girl. The story of her and Master Jung is cute and cheesy as well. The fact that in the end he thought she looked better before she starved herself to get skinny says it all to me.

Side characters in this drama.. HAAA. The Crown Prince has 1 too many BROMANCES if I do say so myself. The best one of all being him and KIM BYUNG. Kim Byung oh KIM BYUNG. A great example of friendship. + he might be the first 97er I have ever fallen for. The Crown Prince & eunuch Jang.. Such a funny thing of loyalty, seeing how jang freaks out every 5 sec.

Jinyoung. Oh what can we say about you.. This is Jinyoungs first drama with a lead role and I can say.. he did an absolute superb job. His character is actually quite likeable. But I am more shocked at how good he is at acting. His character is quite a playboy and I think he shows it with his expressions very nice.

So really, the main plot imo isn't that GREAT and a little confusing and not really elaborated on but the love plot is great. If you came from somewhere like Nirvana in Fire and you are expecting a thick and juicy plot about rebellions, this might not be the place for you. Overall, This drama is 95% love story focused vs a thick and juicy plot. I actually found the plot around the prime minister to be not so appealing and a bit of a bore. That aside, the queen does an excellent job at portraying a villain. She is legit scary.
TaraLynch
Mar 12, 2017
Moonlight Drawn By Clouds. This lovely little gem stars Park Bo Gum as Crown Prince Hyo Myeong and Kim Yoo Jung as Hong Ra On, a young woman who has spent most of her life passing as a boy and ends up, through various bits of misfortune, serving in the palace as a eunuch. Of course, they fall in love. There's also Jung Jin Young as Kim Yoon Sung, former childhood friend read more of the Crown Prince and hapless second lead who knows the girl's secret before everyone else, and Kwak Dong Yeon as Kim Byung Yeon, also a childhood friend and now the Prince's bodyguard and right hand. It's a historical drama, so politics are everywhere, convoluted, and deadly. Birth secrets sprout like mushrooms after a rain storm. Through it all, Park Bo Gum and Kim Yoo Jung are adorable. It's nice to see Park Bo Gum in something where he's not a sociopath or locked into a limited range of emotion. The story is not ground breaking, covering a lot of common sageuk tropes, but the actors are so delightful it doesn't matter.
Love in the Moonlight

KBS2
  • Duration:

60 min.

• Score:

8.4 (scored by 7,003 users)
  • Ranked: