Hi! 

I am very new to the Historical Chinese Dramas, I have watched only one and that is - My Journey to you. I have found it being the perfect combination for me and I am now looking for something similar. Digging through the "Historical" Dramas I mostly encounter typical romantic dramas. I am more interested in the action, mystery, strong characters (especially FL) I don't mind the romance in general but I'm just looking for similar dark vibe  to "My Journey to You". Also, I am not interested that much in Bromance. Thanks for any recommendations, I am just in love with "My Journey to you" and I would give more historical dramas a shot,  as originally I thought I am not interested in the category at all. 

The closest in vibes and some similarities in plot, imo, is Bloody Romance. That's my favorite drama and I never found anything like it until MJTY.

My Journey to You is a very well made drama, high production value/cost. Not many dramas like that.

But here are my recommendations based on that "tone" or "vibe" you seek:

Joy of Life    secret identity, spy stuff and secrecy, great acting and good story, very well made

Princess Agents    spy stuff and secret organizations

The Blood of Youth    lots of fighting scenes

Ever Night    fighting stuff, cultivation

Nirvana in Fire    more political and palace drama, but very good

The Rise of Phoenixes    palace drama, very well made

also I'd recommend Empress Ki    but it is a korean drama and more palace drama, but takes place in China.

A Dream of Splendor is excellent. Great acting, moves along well.

With regard to Joy of Life: It ends on a heck of a cliffhanger. The 2019 drama was very successful and was expected to continue for two more seasons, but it's been four years. (I've read that the talented ML has turned down roles so he would be available for the continuation._)

If you're looking for something currently airing, definitely check out Story of Kunning Palace. It's not quite as dark, but I think it will tread into that territory and pretty soon.

As for completed shows, try these. Some of them may be up your alley:

I'm thrilled to help you explore more historical Chinese dramas! Based on your preferences, I suggest checking out "Nirvana in Fire" and "The Longest Day in Chang'an." These dramas offer captivating plots, strong female leads, and a darker ambiance, providing a unique viewing experience.